Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>A Few Different Tax Related Questions
wdmmom 05:36 PM 04-29-2014
1. The vehicle I use most for business (no transportation, just bank runs, grocery shopping, etc) is in the shop for repairs. Turns out it's the transmission and it's going to be roughly $4000. I think I remember someone saying you can claim mileages or actual expenses. Can I claim the repair expenses this year rather than the mileage?

2. We had to buy a new lawn mower. Is this a deduction?

3. I decided to hire a lawn company this year for fertilizing and weed control as well as grub control and flea, tick and mosquitos. Is this deductible?
TomCopeland 12:58 PM 05-06-2014
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
1. The vehicle I use most for business (no transportation, just bank runs, grocery shopping, etc) is in the shop for repairs. Turns out it's the transmission and it's going to be roughly $4000. I think I remember someone saying you can claim mileages or actual expenses. Can I claim the repair expenses this year rather than the mileage?

If in the first year you used your vehicle for your business you used the standard mileage rate, then you can switch over to using the actual expenses method this year. Save receipts for all your actual expenses.

2. We had to buy a new lawn mower. Is this a deduction?
Yes, deduct the time-space % of the cost. If the total cost was more than $200, you should depreciate it over 7 years.

3. I decided to hire a lawn company this year for fertilizing and weed control as well as grub control and flea, tick and mosquitos. Is this deductible?
Yes, use your time-space % for these expenses.
Reply Up