Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Baby Help
greenhouse 06:02 PM 05-18-2011
My son is 16 months and I just started my first ever baby today- 8 months old. Today was the hardest work day I've ever had in all my days at my "old" job. My son was just miserable and doesn't want me holding the newbie. The new baby is clingy and needs to be held all the time. If anyone needs a diaper change, it's all out tantrums on both sides. It was tears all day and by 4 pm I hadn't had a chance to eat or even go to the bathroom. I need tips on how to deal with 2 needy babies at one time and someone tell me it gets easier please. On top of them wanting to be held all day at the same time, they also keep hitting each other and I have to keep them apart, but they need to be held at the same time. ahhhhh!! it's such madness
PeanutsGalore 07:12 PM 05-18-2011
Sounds EXACTLY like what I just went through. The wise ladies and gents on this site told me to term the contract well before I was ready to do that. But that's exactly what I had to do last week.

I'm assuming you're doing this in order to care for your son for yourself and enjoy watching him grow up? You can't do that if you have another clingy/needy baby who wants to be held all the time. In addition, if the other baby really does need to be held most of the day, then you also can't meet his needs, and he will be unhappy all day which isn't fair to him.

If you need the money, put all of your energy into finding another client and then ask this one to find another situation pronto. BUT...on the bright side, this may just be an adjustment period. If it doesn't improve after two weeks though, you probably know just what you're in for if you choose to keep this baby as a client.

As far as you being able to get a meal in and go to the bathroom, that will definitely improve. Even though the babies are crying a lot for a first day, eventually their naps will overlap (even if it's just for 30 minutes), and that's when you take a bathroom break and eat, quick, like a bunny!

Once you're rested up and used to the rigorous schedule, try to make some quick meals that you can grab on the go: sammies, quiche (with lots of veggies and protein), cut up fruit and veggies with dip and whole grain bread or crackers. That helped me a lot my first month of doing this job.

Everything will be fine. Things will get better! Make sure you start looking for new clients immediately!

ETA: also, babywearing might help. It can't be a long-term solution, because your own child is a toddler, but you might be able to figure out how to wear the 8 month old and change diapers...feed the other...etc. You get the idea. Look for an Ergo; they're awesome!
SilverSabre25 08:00 PM 05-18-2011
Has your son ever seen you with other children before--specifically, other babies? If not, then expect a lot of "new sibling" type behavior--including jealousy, clinginess, and tantrums whenever you have to attend to the new baby. I went through this with my DD when I started doing daycare, and things improved after a few days, a few weeks, a few months. Stick it out if you can...let them cry if you must (bathroom breaks and food are important to keep YOUR sanity intact and YOUR temper intact!). Things will get better eventually.
Tags:new baby
Reply Up