Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>GGGEEERRR H & R Block Said MMK Was Crap
daycare 06:26 PM 04-10-2011
I am so mad right now i could punch a wall...lol ok not really, but I am really frustrated.

Went to H&R block, ok I admit porbably not the best place to go, but I live in a really small town. So anyways I give all my info from MMK and the guy tells me that the section titled -other time space % is crap and that I can't claim it, that it does not do anything for me?? He said it was a ploy for MMK to sell their program, which I know is not true.

Being that I have never done my own taxes and the other tax guy I had passed away, I don't know what to do. Also I have never used MMK before, this is my first year.

how many of you do your own taxes and now that I am even more confused, where do I enter in my other time space % when doing my taxes....

Boy do I have a headace.....I need a beer......lol jk
GretasLittleFriends 07:20 PM 04-10-2011
I would be in the market for a CPA who specializes in small businesses. No ifs, ands, or buts about it!!

My hubby used this lady and she was great with owner/operator truck businesses. Before we were married I had a "real" job with W-2s and running Turbo Tax for myself was just too easy.

Now that I too am self employed and we are married we continue to use his CPA. It's worth every penny we pay her. She loves the MMK software because it makes her life (and mine when totalling) SOOOOO much easier!
daycare 07:22 PM 04-10-2011
Originally Posted by GretasLittleFriends:
I would be in the market for a CPA who specializes in small businesses. No ifs, ands, or buts about it!!

My hubby used this lady and she was great with owner/operator truck businesses. Before we were married I had a "real" job with W-2s and running Turbo Tax for myself was just too easy.

Now that I too am self employed and we are married we continue to use his CPA. It's worth every penny we pay her. She loves the MMK software because it makes her life (and mine when totalling) SOOOOO much easier!
I did not have him file my taxes, not only did he not know what he was talking about, he also was going to charge me almost $800.00 to file them...WOW
mac60 02:36 AM 04-11-2011
H & R Block is a total ripoff. I took my taxes ther once, to have them double checked, they told me there were problems, and it would cost $260 to fix them. I found a private CPA. This year I paid $215 for my daycare taxes, my husbans taxes which involved approx 5 different places he worked since he lost his job and was placed in temp positions, my sons and daughters taxes. So 4 people's taxes, 1 business taxes for $215. Was still easy money for her as they put the info in the computer and hit enter.
melskids 02:44 AM 04-11-2011
yeah, we dumped H&R two years ago. every year we went, we would get someone new, and they would say something TOTALLY different from the yr prior. none of them know what they are talking about.

we found a private CPA, and she is awesome. same price as H&R, but its personalized, and shes there all year if we need her.(hubby has a small business on the side, and is horrible with paperwork, and i REFUSE to get involved, cause it causes too many arguments. so i let her deal with him)
DancingQueen 03:04 AM 04-11-2011
We had a CPA do our taxes for the first time ever and he loved the reports that I handed him from MMK. He had nothing but good things to say about it.

I think the ONLY thing he said was that I should have been claiming more than I did as 100% business use and not as ts use. I was really overly cautious this year but that has nothing to do with MMK that is all me
SunflowerMama 04:18 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by DancingQueen:
We had a CPA do our taxes for the first time ever and he loved the reports that I handed him from MMK. He had nothing but good things to say about it.
We have a CPA friend who has known my husband for years. He always used to do dh's taxes for free when he was single but now that he's married with 2 houses, 3 W2s and a small business he charges us the cost of a burger dinner . We're so lucky!!

He LOVED the MMK forms and said he wished all of his clients were as organized. He only had wonderful things to say about them.
Mrs.Ky 04:23 AM 04-11-2011
I use turbo tax it figures out your time/space precentage for you and it only cost 80 bucks and you recieve your refund in about a week or 2 its really easy to use ive been using it for years.
wdmmom 05:06 AM 04-11-2011
I called H&R Block last year and they said it would cost me around $650 to prepare and file my taxes for my business! Are you kidding me?! I went to an actual CPA and paid $225! And H&R charged my husband $325!

This year we filed together and the CPA only charged us $275! Yep, H&R is a huge ripoff! I'll never go back! Their staff is not knowledgeable whatsoever!
Symphony 07:52 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by Mrs.Ky:
I use turbo tax it figures out your time/space precentage for you and it only cost 80 bucks and you recieve your refund in about a week or 2 its really easy to use ive been using it for years.
We use to use turbo tax too and nothing was ever done wrong, but now that we use a CPA it is SOOOOOOO much better. I had actually done our taxes last year with turbo tax, but we went to the CPA to double check before filing and he got us another 3,000 dollars! This year our refund was almost $12000! Well worth his $200 fee
jojosmommy 11:07 AM 04-11-2011
Last year was my first full tax year doing daycare and I went to a tax professional who claimed to know daycare taxes. I provided him all the MMK info he needed (and all the supporting documents necessary). He filed and we were happy. Until this year when I was prepping my this years stuff and hmm things kept popping up in my mind as "hmm did he do that last year... hmmmm... ??"

I went back and spent over 20 hours just on my last years taxes- reading Tom copelands books (which I had the year previous but didnt fine tooth comb them) and reading the irs website. After a couple freak outs and a few emails to Tom Copeland I figured out the guy missed our home deduction- THE WHOLE HOME.... HELLO!!! along with some other serious stuff. He also underestimated our quarterly estimated taxes and this year we got stuck with a HUGE TAX BILL- both from the IRS and from our new tax guy who is STILL ammending last years mess up.

This year I chose another guy- rode him like crazy- and looked over everything for hours- to make sure nothing got missed. Cost me over $400 (just for tax prep fees- and that doesnt include last years being re-done) but lets just say that if you don't know what your doing you shouldn't be doing it when it comes to taxes.

Find someone who knows what they are doing and get yourself comfortable with what is deductable and what you can claim etc. Then check over what your tax person gives you before its filed with the irs to be sure you are satisfied with what they have claimed. I learned that lesson the hard way.
daycare 11:16 AM 04-11-2011
Originally Posted by jojosmommy:
Last year was my first full tax year doing daycare and I went to a tax professional who claimed to know daycare taxes. I provided him all the MMK info he needed (and all the supporting documents necessary). He filed and we were happy. Until this year when I was prepping my this years stuff and hmm things kept popping up in my mind as "hmm did he do that last year... hmmmm... ??"

I went back and spent over 20 hours just on my last years taxes- reading Tom copelands books (which I had the year previous but didnt fine tooth comb them) and reading the irs website. After a couple freak outs and a few emails to Tom Copeland I figured out the guy missed our home deduction- THE WHOLE HOME.... HELLO!!! along with some other serious stuff. He also underestimated our quarterly estimated taxes and this year we got stuck with a HUGE TAX BILL- both from the IRS and from our new tax guy who is STILL ammending last years mess up.

This year I chose another guy- rode him like crazy- and looked over everything for hours- to make sure nothing got missed. Cost me over $400 (just for tax prep fees- and that doesnt include last years being re-done) but lets just say that if you don't know what your doing you shouldn't be doing it when it comes to taxes.

Find someone who knows what they are doing and get yourself comfortable with what is deductable and what you can claim etc. Then check over what your tax person gives you before its filed with the irs to be sure you are satisfied with what they have claimed. I learned that lesson the hard way.
lol I just called H&R block and told that old man that I did not want him to do my taxes and that he should learn about DC taxes before he opens his mouth to tell someone they are wrong. He didn't say much. I knew I was in a bad place when I asked him if he knew of Tom Copeland or if he had prepared DC taxes before.... Both of his answers were NO....lol
I am still trying to find someone else, which I did find an amazing DC tax lady (friend of tom copeland) but she is not accepting any new clients right now.... I would of had to have all of my stuff to her by March 15th....uugghhh guess the early brid really does get the worm..
Abigail 09:30 PM 04-11-2011
Wow, after reading all these fees just to get our own money back really makes me happy that I have patients to do it by pen and paper. OUCH, I'm frugal and would rather spend time than money. I'm even training my DH to buy smaller fountain drinks because you can get free refills.

I also had a year of tax preparation and always want to learn more about daycare taxses so I'm excited for next years taxes!
Tags:cpa, h&r block, mmk, vent
Reply Up