Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Question for Blackcat on Scholastic
AnythingsPossible 06:43 AM 09-18-2012
How did you get registered with scholastic? I have tried to get signed up with them, but they have never finalized my account. I thought maybe it was because I was a home provider.
Blackcat31 08:01 AM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
How did you get registered with scholastic? I have tried to get signed up with them, but they have never finalized my account. I thought maybe it was because I was a home provider.
I just called them because I had trouble too with the on-line registeration process.

The lady I talked to on the phone was super nice and very helpful. Once I got all the registration stuff through her taken care of, I had full access to their web-site and could do the ordering on-line or set it up so parents could jsut order themselves using my classroom access code.

HTH.

Here is the number 1-800-SCHOLASTIC (1-800-724-6527), press #1

I requested Fireflies (Preschoolers) and Honeybee (Toddlers) subscriptions.
DaisyMamma 08:06 AM 09-18-2012
That's funny, I was going to post about them to see who uses it. I think if you get parents to buy books then you get free books.
Blackcat31 08:10 AM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by DaisyMamma:
That's funny, I was going to post about them to see who uses it. I think if you get parents to buy books then you get free books.
You get a ton of benefits from using Scholastic! Every book parents order (and me) earns you points.

I have used the points to buy ALOT of things. I have gotten a wooden puzzle rack, a listening center with 6 sets of headphones, lots of audio books on CD, several counting/sorting sets lie the counting bears and a lot of other stuff.

I LOVE Scholastic!!!
AnythingsPossible 08:12 AM 09-18-2012
Thanks for the reply. I will call today at nap. I only have 5 families, but I think they would be interested.
Blackcat31 08:17 AM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by AnythingsPossible:
Thanks for the reply. I will call today at nap. I only have 5 families, but I think they would be interested.
I have twice as many families but only half participate. It is me who earns the most points as I just can't help it! Books are so cool and I can't stop myself from buying them at such a cheap cost!

I have even ordered the same book more than once, forgetting that I already had a copy but what do you do?! Books are cool!
daycarediva 08:31 AM 09-18-2012
I LOVE scholastic! I order from them more than the parents.
countrymom 08:40 AM 09-18-2012
I love them too, not only do I order for the dck's but for my own kids. I started to find that when I ordered from school, if they didn't get a book in then scholastic would send another one while you waited, but our school was keeping the extra books, and sometimes we would wait for over a month for our books, now I get them in a week and I get the perks and my dck's get new books.
lil angels 09:53 AM 09-18-2012
Every month they have dollar books so if we have a holiday coming up I will order one for everybody and give it as a gift and then the points go for my free stuff. I don't have many parents that order either but they have lots of neat things.
daycare 10:13 AM 09-18-2012
I also had to call. It took some work on my part even after I called, my account still took time to get going.

I have been using it for about two years and I love it. I send home order sheets and the parents buy too. It helps me earn free books.

Recently they just started where the parents can place their order online at home instead of me having to enter the orders and I still get the credit points.

they also have dollar books that they offer on each of their age groups and I love it.

I order from the honeybee and firefly......toddlers to four and pre-k
Unregistered 10:15 AM 09-18-2012
I love Scholastic Book Club and order more then my parents do too.

I also buy the same books sometimes.....love books.

I do Busy Bee and Firefly. They sometimes send me special flyers but I rarely order from them. I don't do online ordering, never can get the site to work well, and I also find it complicated for parent's to try to navigate through.

I have found when I needed help on the phone for them to be very helpful.

I look forward to the box coming in the mail.
snbauser 04:48 PM 09-18-2012
I also do Scholastic. I send home the flyers every month. Last spring I cashed in a bunch of my points and bought a kids couch and chair for our reading center. It is even better if you can get your parents to order online. If they order online, you get your points, you get a coupon for $3 in books, and the parents get a coupon for $5 in books.
Nickel 06:08 PM 09-18-2012
I looked at scholastics and was interested, Is there a fee to register? Or is it free and you get the perks?
Nickel 06:32 PM 09-18-2012
Quick question,

I was looking at ordering the magazines. Do any of you all use them? Do you find it helpful? I wanted to try it out but not wanting to order 10 subscriptions off the bat. Does anyone know how much it is per script? I can call tomorrow, but wanted to know before hand... tia
daycare 06:37 PM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
I looked at scholastics and was interested, Is there a fee to register? Or is it free and you get the perks?
it is free to sign up and register. it takes a little bit of work in the start, but is simple once it is set up.

which magazines are you speaking of?
Nickel 06:46 PM 09-18-2012
I was looking at this clifford set where you get big books to share and then small ones for the children to take home. I really want the big teacher resources. Then there is the parent/child magazine, but I could do 10 of those for .79 cents each or something like that. Just wondering if they are worth it. I did order the flyers for sept and oct. I am guessing those are the ones that the school usually sends home? where you can order books right?

Also, does anyone do the printables? Is it worth it. It says plans starting at $8something? THX
daycare 06:51 PM 09-18-2012
last year I did the Clifford and got the magazines....biggest waste of my money. the Clifford things are ok. the kids hardly took any interest in them.

out of my 14 parents, only 1 or 2 would take the magazines. I always read them and felt they were great, but it all went to the recycle bin at the end of each month.
daycare 06:52 PM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
last year I did the Clifford and got the magazines....biggest waste of my money. the Clifford things are ok. the kids hardly took any interest in them.

out of my 14 parents, only 1 or 2 would take the magazines. I always read them and felt they were great, but it all went to the recycle bin at the end of each month.
oh and I never did the printables. there is sooooooo much free stuff out there online, that I would rather not pay for it
Nickel 07:31 PM 09-18-2012
Wow, really? that stinks. I thought they looked really neat. Is it something that could have been kept for the next year, or is it more like a magazine with articles and what not? I was thinking it was more like a book. I guess not? Hmmmm... What if I just ordered 1. Wonder if that would be worth it?
daycare 07:41 PM 09-18-2012
Originally Posted by Nickel:
Wow, really? that stinks. I thought they looked really neat. Is it something that could have been kept for the next year, or is it more like a magazine with articles and what not? I was thinking it was more like a book. I guess not? Hmmmm... What if I just ordered 1. Wonder if that would be worth it?
they will give you a sample i belive.....

the clifford part could be saved from year to year as far as the teachers poster goes, but the kids book, they write in them. BTW its only a one page folder which makes 4 pages from front to back.

the parent magazine is dated by month and year, but if you wanted to save it I guess you could
Nickel 07:47 PM 09-18-2012
Oh, thanks for letting me know. They made it sound like it was way cooler than it apparently is! You just saved me some money! Thanks.. Guess I will keep looking.
wahmof3 12:28 PM 09-19-2012
So I signed up & ordered catalogs

How does the rest work?

Online ordering?

Points?

What can you redeem your points on?

Thanks I am a book freak! I have been wanting to accumulate a bin of books for birthday presents and this is my answer
itlw8 01:09 PM 09-19-2012
The parent magazine is WONDERFUL well worth the small cost.

Clifford and the other one are also wonderful but if your group is young it is not worth the cost. perfect for 4's and 5's I like the other one the best Lets See is that the name. I think you can get a sample sent to you.

It is cheaper to buy the 10 than individual ones so just get 10. You could share with someone you know

I am rather partial as DH works for Scholastic I do buy most of my books in the employee book store but before that I always ordered. My parent love the free( for them) magazine
Blackcat31 01:26 PM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
So I signed up & ordered catalogs

How does the rest work?

Online ordering?

Points?

What can you redeem your points on?

Thanks I am a book freak! I have been wanting to accumulate a bin of books for birthday presents and this is my answer
They will send you catalogs in the mail for each month. You send the catalogs home with families and they can go on-line and order if they wish or give the order blanls to you and you can do a big class order.

I have my parents bring ALL orders to me by the 10th of each month with checks made out to me.

I then go on-line and place a big class order and pay with my own credit card(keeping the order slips from parents and depositing their checks into my account) and then in about 7-10 days your books will arrive with an invoice for the. On the invoice it gives you a current total of all points you have accumulated.

When you go to place your next order, you will see you can pay for your purchase with money or with points. You can also shop their teacher catalog on-line or they will usually send one to you shortly after signing up with them.

HTH
daycare 01:37 PM 09-19-2012
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
They will send you catalogs in the mail for each month. You send the catalogs home with families and they can go on-line and order if they wish or give the order blanls to you and you can do a big class order.

I have my parents bring ALL orders to me by the 10th of each month with checks made out to me.

I then go on-line and place a big class order and pay with my own credit card(keeping the order slips from parents and depositing their checks into my account) and then in about 7-10 days your books will arrive with an invoice for the. On the invoice it gives you a current total of all points you have accumulated.

When you go to place your next order, you will see you can pay for your purchase with money or with points. You can also shop their teacher catalog on-line or they will usually send one to you shortly after signing up with them.

HTH
I do it exactly the same way as cat...
wahmof3 03:45 PM 09-19-2012
Awesome!! Thanks!
MsMe 08:58 PM 09-19-2012
I can not wait to sign up!!! I had no idea this was an option! I feel like all my years in daycare have been waisted i could have so much cool stuff after 9 years....poo. i only buy books at garage sales bc new books are so expensive at the store!
jen2651 05:03 AM 09-20-2012
I guess I will need to call today as this is the response I received....

Because Scholastic buys the rights to publish books from other publishers (Random House, HarperCollins, etc) for the school market only, we are only able to provide book club accounts to classroom teachers, who are defined as the “school market”. If you are registered as a teacher at a school, we can establish an account for you. We cannot provide accounts to substitute teachers, student teachers or tutors. (Home school teachers may also have accounts if they have children that are school age and not attending any other school)
I'm sorry we are unable to set up an account for you. We would have been happy to welcome you as a Scholastic Book Club sponsor, but we are constrained by legal reasons. However you may order through Scholastic Store online. Please call 1-800-770-4662 if you need assistance. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Shirley
Scholastic/Customer Maintenance
1-800-497-8291x4802
sjones2@scholastic.com
MsMe 05:54 AM 09-20-2012
Bummer Jen.

I was just onlinesettingup an account and I got to the choose your school portion...I saw mnay home daycares in my town listed to choose from. I was comming here to ask if I should just call scholastic so I could hopefully add mine to the list. There was an option to 'add my school" and that they would need to verify it so I wondered if this was why other providers had to call to finish settign up their accounts.

if they are no longer allowing Daycares I will be crushed!!! Esp since I have been here for 9 years and have just now learned about this!!!! I am crushed thinkign about all the points we could have earned over the years!!
wahmof3 06:01 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by MsMe:
Bummer Jen.

I was just onlinesettingup an account and I got to the choose your school portion...I saw mnay home daycares in my town listed to choose from. I was comming here to ask if I should just call scholastic so I could hopefully add mine to the list. There was an option to 'add my school" and that they would need to verify it so I wondered if this was why other providers had to call to finish settign up their accounts.

if they are no longer allowing Daycares I will be crushed!!! Esp since I have been here for 9 years and have just now learned about this!!!! I am crushed thinkign about all the points we could have earned over the years!!
I set up my account online yesterday. I even ordered catalogs/flyers. I received an account confirmation email. I didn't have to call. Hopefully its all good. After placing my flyer order it said they should arrive in 7-10 days.
Blackcat31 07:18 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by jen2651:
I guess I will need to call today as this is the response I received....

Because Scholastic buys the rights to publish books from other publishers (Random House, HarperCollins, etc) for the school market only, we are only able to provide book club accounts to classroom teachers, who are defined as the “school market”. If you are registered as a teacher at a school, we can establish an account for you. We cannot provide accounts to substitute teachers, student teachers or tutors. (Home school teachers may also have accounts if they have children that are school age and not attending any other school)
I'm sorry we are unable to set up an account for you. We would have been happy to welcome you as a Scholastic Book Club sponsor, but we are constrained by legal reasons. However you may order through Scholastic Store online. Please call 1-800-770-4662 if you need assistance. Thank you!

Sincerely,

Shirley
Scholastic/Customer Maintenance
1-800-497-8291x4802
sjones2@scholastic.com
Wow! That is odd...

My catalogs come to "C*****'s Child Care & Learning Center" so I am pretty sure I did not mis-represent myself and if that doesn't sound like a child care, I don't know what does.

They may have changed their policies but if I were you, I would try calling them. I mean JoAnn's fabric's decided to change their policies to include child care providers as teachers so why shouldn't Scholastic?
countrymom 07:33 AM 09-20-2012
when I did mine, I told them that I was a child care too. I didn't tell them that it was a "home" daycare because really, a daycare can be in a church or in a school. I think that when they hear "home" they think babysitter. I've had an account for many years and have never had a problem. I do get the catty for the older kids because thats what my own children read--I love when I get an order in, you would think its christmas in my house.
itlw8 10:53 AM 09-20-2012
just list the name of your childcare. If you do not have a name just write your last name like Smith Childcare.

They publish honeybee for toddlers and preschool. no it is not just school age children. Clifford is pre K
rhymia1 11:00 AM 09-20-2012
When I used to do Scholastic (many, many moons ago) I set up my account under my business name "King's Way Child Care" and it went through. If I recall correctly it did ask what type of school I was and I put "preschool" because I am.
I may have to look back into it. Parents stopped buying (as they had all the books and then some!) and I have soooo many books as well that no one was buying anything
jen2651 11:49 AM 09-20-2012
Ok, just wanted to say there was a cross in communication. I had replied with my information to a different person who hadn't entered it yet...this Shirley thought I hadn't responded, so I am in!

One thing tho, they asked me how many children and I said 12...they told me they wouldn't send catalogs because they were only packaged in packs of 30. So, after I get my online stuff all up and running, I am just going to try and order some catalogs and hopefully that will work...otherwise, I will just have to call in and change my number and lie!
Blackcat31 11:54 AM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by jen2651:
Ok, just wanted to say there was a cross in communication. I had replied with my information to a different person who hadn't entered it yet...this Shirley thought I hadn't responded, so I am in!

One thing tho, they asked me how many children and I said 12...they told me they wouldn't send catalogs because they were only packaged in packs of 30. So, after I get my online stuff all up and running, I am just going to try and order some catalogs and hopefully that will work...otherwise, I will just have to call in and change my number and lie!
I have 12 kids and I get the catalogs....with 30+ order forms in them.

I think the people at Scholastic must be having an off day...sheesh!

I don't think they normally care about how many kids you have because you will soon find out that you often get duplicate catalogs and they send a new one in every stinkin' box of books you get.

Who seriously needs that many forms? I let the kids cut them up and use them for art.
Heidi 01:02 PM 09-20-2012
WOW!

I had signed up for this about a month ago, and then promptly forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder ladies!

I just order $24 worth of books, got 5x bonus points and $15 to spend for buying at least $20 worth of books.

Feels a little like a video game...bonus points!!!

I added a link on my daycare website and plastered it all over my Facebook page. Hopefully some of my families will order, too.
Blackcat31 01:34 PM 09-20-2012
Originally Posted by Heidi:
WOW!

I had signed up for this about a month ago, and then promptly forgot about it. Thanks for the reminder ladies!

I just order $24 worth of books, got 5x bonus points and $15 to spend for buying at least $20 worth of books.

Feels a little like a video game...bonus points!!!

I added a link on my daycare website and plastered it all over my Facebook page. Hopefully some of my families will order, too.
Awww, if I had known you were going to sign up, I would have given you my customer number because I can earn 100 bonus points for every teacher I refer to Scholastic.
Country Kids 01:39 PM 09-20-2012
Awww, if I had known you were going to sign up, I would have given you my customer number because I can earn 100 bonus points for every teacher I refer to Scholastic.
PM Me and I will use it when I sign up!
Heidi 02:50 PM 09-20-2012
I'd already signed up before this thread started...sorry!
daycare 02:58 PM 09-20-2012
cat have you ever bought anything from the teacher bonus catalog? you know the one with all of the educational supplies??

I was looking at it last night, but thought some of the stuff seemed to be rather expensive..

I place about a $250 book order a month and most of it is me....lol I am a book horder....
Blackcat31 03:21 PM 09-20-2012
cat have you ever bought anything from the teacher bonus catalog? you know the one with all of the educational supplies??

I was looking at it last night, but thought some of the stuff seemed to be rather expensive..

I place about a $250 book order a month and most of it is me....lol I am a book horder....
I ave bought a few things but I have used points for them rather than money as I am also a book hoarder so therefore have LOTS of earned points.
Sprouts 12:45 AM 09-21-2012
I am adding "call scholastic" on my todo list!
EntropyControlSpecialist 05:48 AM 09-27-2012
The e-mail I received on May 30:

First we want to point out that Scholastic buys the rights to publish books from other publishers (Random House, HarperCollins, etc) for the school market only; we are only able to provide book club accounts to classroom teachers, who are defined as the “school market”. This is why we need your school, daycare, preschool or home schools information.
Cat Herder 06:24 AM 09-27-2012
I have had my preschool account for a couple years and not one of my DCP have ordered anything yet. A few Grandparents did, at first, but that quickly fizzled.

All DCP were excited when I set up the account and still want to be made aware of everything I buy for their children, though . I was saddened by the fact that nobody ever even looked at the classroom wish list section as I had hoped.

I guess I had grand dreams that the parents would chip in and buy the extra enrichment stuff to help me provide a more exciting, broader, program. That it would be a community effort. Parents would recognize the efforts I put in and would love to give me extra tools to do it with and I'd send them home when we completed each unit for the kids to enjoy with their parents. In my head I envisioned they'd continue to expand on the concepts we approach during the day, in the evenings an on weekends. It would be a meshing of the kids two worlds. Tra-la-la... smell the roses. I am such a dork.

In the end, I, order stuff I can afford to correspond with our curriculum themes almost monthly. It has been an amazing resource for me. It keeps me inspired, motivated and excited for the next month. I guess that, in and of itself, is priceless.
daycare 07:17 AM 09-27-2012
Originally Posted by EntropyControlSpecialist:
The e-mail I received on May 30:

First we want to point out that Scholastic buys the rights to publish books from other publishers (Random House, HarperCollins, etc) for the school market only; we are only able to provide book club accounts to classroom teachers, who are defined as the “school market”. This is why we need your school, daycare, preschool or home schools information.
they did that to me too. I had to call them and talkt to a manager....
daycare 07:23 AM 09-27-2012
I had another question for you BC--

Do you know if when the parents order online themselves if there is a deadline for when they need to place the order by? I have several parents that are placing book orders and they all want to do it online, which we have never done. So I was thinking about it and what if they all order at different times will our order even all ship together??

thank for your help...looks like you have been deemed scholastic customer service here....lol
sharlan 07:43 AM 09-27-2012
I finally got my account set up on Tues. I can't wait to get the order forms. You provide your referral info on your first order and the person that referred you gets extra bonus points.
Blackcat31 08:31 AM 09-27-2012

Do you know if when the parents order online themselves if there is a deadline for when they need to place the order by? I have several parents that are placing book orders and they all want to do it online, which we have never done. So I was thinking about it and what if they all order at different times will our order even all ship together??

thank for your help...looks like you have been deemed scholastic customer service here....lol
I think parents can order on-line at any time they want and there is no deadline that I know of for each month. I think you can even order things from past months' catalogs up to 2-3 months later.

I, personally place a deadline on all orders done on-line and orders submitted to me becuase I prefer to have all the books delivered at one time so I can sort through them and deal with Scholastic only one time per month. Just makes it easier.

Sometimes orders will ship separately but if all parents order as near to the deadline as possible, the shipments all arrive in the same week atleast so only one crazy week versus a crazy month of non-stop book orders.

I have all book orders due by the 10th of each month. It makes it easy for parents to remember and makes it simple for me.
wahmof3 09:49 AM 10-02-2012
Oh no! I just received an email from scholastic stating they need more information on my account before they can set it up

After reading other posts on here, I am a little worried they will not accept me because of being a home daycare

Fingers crossed that everything is good.

I used my daycare "name"
sharlan 11:04 AM 10-02-2012
Originally Posted by wahmof3:
Oh no! I just received an email from scholastic stating they need more information on my account before they can set it up

After reading other posts on here, I am a little worried they will not accept me because of being a home daycare

Fingers crossed that everything is good.

I used my daycare "name"
They accepted me and I signed up as a daycare. Someone called and verified my information, though.
wahmof3 12:00 PM 10-02-2012
It's all GOOD!!!

Just received an email with my account number and all

DaycareMama 05:08 PM 10-07-2012
I signed up about a week or two ago and I have gotten nothing with a customer number on it???

I want to order stuff but the site is very un user friendly
Blackcat31 07:30 PM 10-07-2012
Your customer # is on the back of the catalogs they send and/or on the e-mail that confirms your account info.

If you didn't see it or get one, I'd call them as I'm sure they can tell you over the phone.

I've found the site to be easy once you place your first order but I do agree that it isn't the most user friendly and I did spend quite a while just playing around on the site before being comfortable with it or maybe just used to it I guess.

HTH
Lyss 06:52 AM 10-10-2012
I signed up online. The had to verify my information (they did it via email) but now I have a customer # and access to the book clubs. I signed up for Honeybee and firefly.

I have a quick question about catalogs: Do they automatically send them out (I'm assuming it will start next month if so) or do i need to request them somehow? I didn't see anything about it so I just wanted to check. Thanks!
Blackcat31 06:58 AM 10-10-2012
Originally Posted by Lyss:
I signed up online. The had to verify my information (they did it via email) but now I have a customer # and access to the book clubs. I signed up for Honeybee and firefly.

I have a quick question about catalogs: Do they automatically send them out (I'm assuming it will start next month if so) or do i need to request them somehow? I didn't see anything about it so I just wanted to check. Thanks!
You should automatically start receiving them. If you don't get them within the next two weeks, I would call but usually they send them out on their own and a word of warning, you will get one in each box or order you make too so you will get MORE than enough! LOL!

I let my DCK's cut them up and use them for all sorts of things.
satcook 07:30 AM 10-10-2012

The parents orders are not fully placed until you go online and confirm them. Then they are sent out. At that time if you have $20+ in orders you will also be able to choose free books.

Lori
Lyss 10:16 AM 10-10-2012
You should automatically start receiving them. If you don't get them within the next two weeks, I would call but usually they send them out on their own and a word of warning, you will get one in each box or order you make too so you will get MORE than enough! LOL!

I let my DCK's cut them up and use them for all sorts of things.
Thanks!

That's a good idea to let them cut the extra up! My DCKs love to cut things!
Tags:classes, degree, online courses, scholastic
Reply Up