Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Babywise Babies
crazydaycarelady 10:36 AM 09-09-2013
In the last 2 weeks I have started two 9mo babies who are on the Babywise program. They are cousins. Babywise is a sleeping program: sleep, eat, play rotation over and over. It doesn't sound bad but the reality is neither of these kids is a good eater OR a good sleeper, and they are both needy sensitive kids when they are awake (probably hungry or tired!)

I guess my experience with "programs" is whenever I get a kid on one (Babywise, Attachment Parenting) they are the worst most problem ridden kids I have in care!

I much prefer a baby with relaxed parents who just do what feels right and let me do what feels right, rather than specific sleeping/eating times for babies. Each of these moms writes me a note daily to let me know the current situation with the times when baby should sleep and eat. Plus if they don't eat right after they wake then I have only one hour to get food into them or it messes up the ROTATION.

UGH!
Shell 10:42 AM 09-09-2013
I've had parents that wanted me to stick to a particular schedule, as well. It all looks good on paper, but isn't always a reality! I find these parents usually loosen up- especially when their "plan" backfires every weekend, and they see it just doesn't work.
cheerfuldom 10:43 AM 09-09-2013
They are way too schedule oriented at this point. The schedule is more important than the babies being happy. I am sure the parents think they are doing the right thing and they have good intentions but its clearly not working. I would keep what the parents said in mind but if the baby sleeps longer, needs food sooner, etc. I would just do what works for us at daycare. i absolutely am supportive of routines but i am not going to deal with a crying baby because mom says she cant be fed for 20 more minutes. I would consider the notes suggestions and try and hit within 30 minutes of the time frame but not stress me or the kids out by forcing things
Heidi 10:45 AM 09-09-2013
I do not accommodate "baby wise" any more than I can accommodate AP here. This is GROUP care, not nanny care. My 9 month olds eat when the group eats; breakfast, lunch, snack. They pretty much eat what the other's do as well at this point, other than honey, really hard crackers, p butter, etc.

They do get a morning nap, but I wake them after 45 minutes or so and then they take an afternoon nap with everyone else.

Now, if I enrolled a new child and mom said "hey, this really works for me....", I would tell them "well, as long as it fits into the group's day, I'll sure give it a try. Thanks for the tips"
Cradle2crayons 10:50 AM 09-09-2013
Did you know they did this "schedule" at the interviews??

Just being honest here, but I won't enroll an infant on any type of "program" like that. Correction, their parents can do it at home, but I make myself very clear I do NOT do those types of programs.

Don't get me wrong, there is nothing wrong with a schedule at all. But in my experience, "programs" dictating feeding schedules can sometimes lead to future feeding issues. And sleeping issues. And playing issues.

It's perfectly okay for parents to follow it, but those parents who insist I would need to do that type of program find my open spot closed lol
Heidi 10:56 AM 09-09-2013
Crazy thing is, I've looked into Babywise, and it's all about finding a schedule that helps the baby be content. The sleep-eat-play triangle is supposed to be optimized so that the baby gets to sleep before she's overtired, eats before she's too anxious, etc. It's a GUIDELINE; not designed to be a rigid schedule, and is supposed to be adjusted periodically.

Way too much work for a 9 month old, IMO. They usually will naturally have a 2-nap schedule at that point, and eat every 3 or so hours. What' the point?
crazydaycarelady 11:13 AM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by :
Did you know they did this "schedule" at the interviews??
No, neither mentioned this beforehand. One is a 3rd baby and they did not do this with the first two siblings who I watched as babies. The other one mentioned difficult sleeping and eating but never said the word Babywise until about a week into me watching for them.

Today the second mom was wondering why her baby is not sleeping well "because I am doing Babywise!" Um......that's probably why she is not sleeping well! She is a 1st time mom who lacks confidence in parenting.

I think I will consider the notes suggestions ad do what works here. I DO want both of these two to take a nap in the afternoon at the same time as all the others.

Originally Posted by :
Way too much work for a 9 month old, IMO. They usually will naturally have a 2-nap schedule at that point, and eat every 3 or so hours. What' the point?
I agree! These are not newborns! Kids usually have a pretty good schedule by this time all on their own!
Leigh 11:16 AM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by Heidi:
Crazy thing is, I've looked into Babywise, and it's all about finding a schedule that helps the baby be content. The sleep-eat-play triangle is supposed to be optimized so that the baby gets to sleep before she's overtired, eats before she's too anxious, etc. It's a GUIDELINE; not designed to be a rigid schedule, and is supposed to be adjusted periodically.

I agree. If you're looking for a way around this with the parents, you may check your licensing rules. In MY state, under 12 months must be fed on demand-parental preferences are not to be considered. You could try telling the parents that you are not allowed to schedule meals at this age.
blandino 11:21 AM 09-09-2013
I have had a few babywise parents/children, and have always had success with them. BUT, they always understood that I would be fitting the babies eat/play/sleep schedule into my daily schedule as opposed to following theirs.

To the parents I have had, they liked/chose babywise because heir liked the idea of a child on an adult decided schedule not specifically one specific schedule. If that makes sense.

I have been lucky that my experiences have been good.

I would sit down and look at what baby typically does, and decide what/how that fits with your schedule and then work toward combining the two.
blandino 11:23 AM 09-09-2013
Yes ! Yes ! Yes !

I am actually a proponent of babywise, when used like this. When parents don't use common sense in conjunction is wen things go awry, IMHO.

I am more for the guiding principles of babywise.
sammie 12:05 PM 09-09-2013

I used Babywise with both of my boys and what you said is exactly it....it is a guideline not a strict schedule/routine. And your right, by 9 months the baby should have naturally fallen into the two nap schedule and eating routine.
Lavender 01:39 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
In the last 2 weeks I have started two 9mo babies who are on the Babywise program. They are cousins. Babywise is a sleeping program: sleep, eat, play rotation over and over. It doesn't sound bad but the reality is neither of these kids is a good eater OR a good sleeper, and they are both needy sensitive kids when they are awake (probably hungry or tired!)

I guess my experience with "programs" is whenever I get a kid on one (Babywise, Attachment Parenting) they are the worst most problem ridden kids I have in care!

I much prefer a baby with relaxed parents who just do what feels right and let me do what feels right, rather than specific sleeping/eating times for babies. Each of these moms writes me a note daily to let me know the current situation with the times when baby should sleep and eat. Plus if they don't eat right after they wake then I have only one hour to get food into them or it messes up the ROTATION.

UGH!
LOL, the bolded is what attachment parenting felt like to me. I never would have thought it would be compared to babywise. Thankfully I've not yet had a parent following that sort of scheduling, but I have certainly had very particular parents.
cheerfuldom 05:26 PM 09-09-2013
Originally Posted by Lavender:
LOL, the bolded is what attachment parenting felt like to me. I never would have thought it would be compared to babywise. Thankfully I've not yet had a parent following that sort of scheduling, but I have certainly had very particular parents.
In general I am an attached parent too although I really dislike labels. I co sleep and baby wear and breast feed on demand BUT my son is here and I am able to handle all the kids in care, including our choice to parent this way. I obviously could not provide any of this to daycare families so that is where the conflict comes up and what I think the poster was saying.....parents that chose to parent in a particular way and expect the provider to do it that way too. Its an unreasonable request, especially when the baby is so miserable with the parents plan!
crazydaycarelady 05:57 PM 09-09-2013
It's weird because I have another 9mo in care also and he is on a great schedule. Morning nap, eats lunch about the same time as the other kids, takes an afternoon nap the same time as the others. He is a happy delightful baby who has the same schedule everyday.

Now the babywise babies, whose parents are trying to get them on a schedule wont eat, won't sleep, are fussy when awake, and have a different schedule everyday. What time will they nap tomorrow? Who knows it all depends on when they get up and when the rotation starts.

I'll take the baby in situation number 1 any day!!!
cheerfuldom 06:32 PM 09-09-2013
at this point, I would just straight out put them on your daycare schedule when they are on your time. I was totally missing that they are 9 months but they are old enough at this point to start the slow transition to your normal routine for the older kids. No matter what the parents are doing, I would keep their day at daycare very consistent with one short morning nap with a longer afternoon nap. I would also feed them just as you would the bigger kids. Breakfast if they come in time for that, lunch, snack/meal after nap. I bet getting their days at daycare consistent would really help at home. That has always been the case with the parents I have worked with that have all sorts of "programs" for babies. just typing out that sentence is really strange to me.....
sammie 09:07 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
It's weird because I have another 9mo in care also and he is on a great schedule. Morning nap, eats lunch about the same time as the other kids, takes an afternoon nap the same time as the others. He is a happy delightful baby who has the same schedule everyday.

Now the babywise babies, whose parents are trying to get them on a schedule wont eat, won't sleep, are fussy when awake, and have a different schedule everyday. What time will they nap tomorrow? Who knows it all depends on when they get up and when the rotation starts.

I'll take the baby in situation number 1 any day!!!
The parents are doing something wrong (as far as the babywise routine) ..... a 9 mo old babywise baby should be getting up at about the same time every day and by this age should set pretty well into their routine and will be eating well, sleeping well and overall a happy baby. Personally, I would do what fits into your routine at this point....because whatever the heck the parents are doing isn't working.
crazydaycarelady 09:15 AM 09-10-2013
Yep, I am doing what works here. Today dcm came again with another note saying that baby should take a nap at 11:30 (lunchtime) and get up around 1-1:30 (naptime!) Um....no!

I laid her down for a morning nap, she'll have lunch at lunchtime, and take an afternoon nap like the other babies that age.
Cat Herder 09:38 AM 09-10-2013
Instruction book babies....

Yeah, that always works out.

I love those 1st baby/3rd baby commercials....

Wonder why nobody makes a 75th baby commercial???
Crazy8 10:55 AM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by sammie:
I used Babywise with both of my boys and what you said is exactly it....it is a guideline not a strict schedule/routine. And your right, by 9 months the baby should have naturally fallen into the two nap schedule and eating routine.
same here... there was a huge uproar about babywise when I was using it for my DS. Mainly because people could not distinguish between a "guideline" and a "do exactly what the book says no matter what your baby needs/wants".

It was a big help to me to read about the eat, play, sleep cycle. And it does work well for the tiny infants who are eating every few hours and only staying awake an hour or two at a time (and then slowly evolving from that) but at 9 months old they should be beyond needing that type of schedule.

I also ask parents of new babies to give me an idea of the schedule the baby is on and its in my contract that I will try to work with it and will slowly adapt it to a schedule that suits the needs of the entire group.
sammie 12:13 PM 09-10-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
same here... there was a huge uproar about babywise when I was using it for my DS. Mainly because people could not distinguish between a "guideline" and a "do exactly what the book says no matter what your baby needs/wants".

It was a big help to me to read about the eat, play, sleep cycle. And it does work well for the tiny infants who are eating every few hours and only staying awake an hour or two at a time (and then slowly evolving from that) but at 9 months old they should be beyond needing that type of schedule.

I also ask parents of new babies to give me an idea of the schedule the baby is on and its in my contract that I will try to work with it and will slowly adapt it to a schedule that suits the needs of the entire group.
I didn't realize how controversial it was until a couple of years ago (my boys are 4 & 7 now) and am glad that I didn't know. The book was very helpful to me also when it came to the eat, play, sleep cycle. My boys were well rested and happy babies and as a result they had well rested and happy parents!
Reply Up