Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Rate Dilemma...
lflick 05:05 PM 06-23-2013
I currently do a daily rate. I have seen a few posts of weekly rates. Which do you do and why? If you do weekly would you mind sharing your rate sheets, even in private? I have considered moving away from daily to generate a more stable group of kids as well as income as I am finding a lot of folks are requesting say 2 days a week.
Michael 06:28 PM 06-23-2013
You'll find a lot here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=rates
LaLa1923 08:24 PM 06-23-2013
Originally Posted by lflick:
I currently do a daily rate. I have seen a few posts of weekly rates. Which do you do and why? If you do weekly would you mind sharing your rate sheets, even in private? I have considered moving away from daily to generate a more stable group of kids as well as income as I am finding a lot of folks are requesting say 2 days a week.

I think more and more people want part time. I'm not really sure why. My rates are $225 for infants under 2, and $185 - $200 for over 2. I have wanted to switch to a rate that wouldn't change from infant to toddler. I know a bunch of providers on here do that. It all comes down to the area you live in though.

My rate is the same regardless of attendance.

My daily rate is $50
Angelsj 06:06 AM 06-24-2013
I accommodate almost entirely part timers. I charge only hourly.
I also don't do contracted hours, or get upset when the kids are here and the parents are home. If you or your child are in my house, I am getting paid, so I do not care.
I also let them pay after the fact, though if you do not pay on your day to pay, there are late fees that accumulate.
The hourly rate would more depend on your area. Here a daily rate is around $25-$35, so my hourly of $3.50 is about mid range. If they are over 21 hours a week, they get $3.00 an hour.
NeedaVaca 06:08 AM 06-24-2013
I do a weekly flat rate regardless of how many days they come. I always know what I'm getting paid each week and it never varies, they pay the same rate 52 weeks per year and I get paid holidays and vacations.
jenn 06:08 AM 06-24-2013
I have a daily rate of $30 per day. Parents pay weekly. I charge the same for full time/part time, infant/toddler/preschool.
5 days=$150 per week
4 days=$120 per week
3 days=$90 per week
1 or 2 days=drop in care. I charge the same rate, but it is based on availability. If I find someone that wants 3 or more days, I take them and the drop in is out of luck!
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 06-24-2013
I charge weekly for the exact reason you mentioned....it is simply more financially stable.

I have a weekly rate based on not only pick up time but for 3, 4 and 5 days a week enrollment.

Anything less than 3 days per week is considered drop in and charged accordingly. I also only take drop in's IF I have available space so there is no guarantee of space if a family signs on at 2 days per week.
melilley 11:54 AM 06-24-2013
I have a weekly rate of $130 and a daily rate of $30, but for pt they have to come at least 2 days a week and that is for all age groups. Currently I have 3 full time families and 2 part time. I make a little more for the two part time kids than one full time child so it works out and I like the little break in the middle of the week. When I opened, (this past Jan.) I also had it set in my mind that I would take no less than 3 full time children (plus my son) and the other 2 could be either or.
lflick 04:54 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by Angelsj:
I also don't do contracted hours, or get upset when the kids are here and the parents are home. If you or your child are in my house, I am getting paid, so I do not care.
I also let them pay after the fact, though if you do not pay on your day to pay, there are late fees that accumulate.
The hourly rate would more depend on your area. Here a daily rate is around $25-$35, so my hourly of $3.50 is about mid range. If they are over 21 hours a week, they get $3.00 an hour.
How do you get paid? Do you wait until the end of the week and trust that they will pay you?
daycarediva 05:15 PM 06-24-2013
I get paid in advance Friday before care is given.

My rate sheet is as follows:

5 days=175
4 days=160
3 days=135
2 days=100

drop in is $50/day, although I currently don't have space for drop ins. My pt'ers are set days and they aren't allowed to switch. I DO enroll other PT children around those days and I am at capacity every day. For instance, right now I have a M/F child paying $100/week and a W-TH child paying $135, they take up one space, and I make $235 (vs $175 for a FT client). I also have a T/TH child and a M/W/F child taking up one space (for $235). That's an additional $120/week vs just having 2 FT kids.

I LOVE this pay scale, and I wouldn't go back to everyone having the same daily rate again.

In fall, I am implementing a sliding rate scale based on how early they are picked up to attempt an earlier closing, but that's the ONLY thing I will change.
lflick 05:27 PM 06-24-2013
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I get paid in advance Friday before care is given.

My rate sheet is as follows:

5 days=175
4 days=160
3 days=135
2 days=100

drop in is $50/day, although I currently don't have space for drop ins. My pt'ers are set days and they aren't allowed to switch. I DO enroll other PT children around those days and I am at capacity every day. For instance, right now I have a M/F child paying $100/week and a W-TH child paying $135, they take up one space, and I make $235 (vs $175 for a FT client). I also have a T/TH child and a M/W/F child taking up one space (for $235). That's an additional $120/week vs just having 2 FT kids.

I LOVE this pay scale, and I wouldn't go back to everyone having the same daily rate again.

In fall, I am implementing a sliding rate scale based on how early they are picked up to attempt an earlier closing, but that's the ONLY thing I will change.

I love that you are charging more for the convenience factor, more or less, as they are eating up a full time spot... BUT it doesn't match the full time rate so the parents don't feel like they are paying full time for a lesser spot.... Have you had any flack from parents about this?
Angelsj 04:46 AM 06-25-2013
How do you get paid? Do you wait until the end of the week and trust that they will pay you?
In some cases every two weeks. I occasionally have to chase money, but not all that often. Between late fees and making it clear I will not continue to take the kids if they do not pay on time, they do pretty well.

It is rare (at least around here) for any daycare to let you pay hourly, or text the night before (or sometimes even the morning of) and get your kids in. For my part timers, I am a one in a million and the fact that I have a degree, experience (over 30 years) and a wonderful environment, keeps them wanting to stay. They don't want to irritate me.
Blackcat31 08:39 AM 06-25-2013
In some cases every two weeks. I occasionally have to chase money, but not all that often. Between late fees and making it clear I will not continue to take the kids if they do not pay on time, they do pretty well.

It is rare (at least around here) for any daycare to let you pay hourly, or text the night before (or sometimes even the morning of) and get your kids in. For my part timers, I am a one in a million and the fact that I have a degree, experience (over 30 years) and a wonderful environment, keeps them wanting to stay. They don't want to irritate me.
Having that "ONE thing" makes all the difference.

If every provider could figure out their "one thing", there would be a way shorter venting thread....
originalkat 10:45 AM 06-25-2013
I only take full time kids and charge a flat monthly rate of $525. I do very well attracting working families who need full time and my enrollment is pretty consistent. I dont get a lot of turnover typically.
daycarediva 10:52 AM 06-25-2013
I love that you are charging more for the convenience factor, more or less, as they are eating up a full time spot... BUT it doesn't match the full time rate so the parents don't feel like they are paying full time for a lesser spot.... Have you had any flack from parents about this?
Nope, all of my parents love my rate scale and think it's fair.

I have gotten 2 kids from providers who were charging flat FT rates, and the parents REALLY didn't feel that was fair.
Angelsj 04:22 PM 06-25-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Having that "ONE thing" makes all the difference.

If every provider could figure out their "one thing", there would be a way shorter venting thread....
So true, and being comfortable with what you do. I tried it the other way, rating scale, set hours, pay up front, etc, and it just wasn't me. I know a lot of providers like it, and that is fine, but I like it my way. I like the people I get (mostly), and the way I do things is very laid back.
They come, they go, some pay me, some don't (lots of kiddos friends are also here.) Some days I am doing well to get a head count. They all just become part of the larger family.
LK5kids 03:56 AM 06-26-2013
This is almost my program to a T! I have never had to chase $$$. If a family did not pay me Friday by 5:30 and came Monday morning they woulndn't get in the door without payment. No way would I let money owed continue to pile up.

This time getting doing child care I have 1/2 full time, 1/2 part time. Years ago almost all my families were full time. Rate is the same for all families, but under two will go up after the first of the year.

I love the people I get too and I guess my style is also laid back. I get very close to my families but no way do I let people walk all over me. I also feel like my program is one in a million, at least for my area. I have years working with young children and their families. Many in family child care, many in other kid related positions.

It helps me that this is a smaller community and people know me from the positions I have had. I had to go to the jail last night for fingerprinting for licensing and I knew the jailer from when I did parentng classes at the jail. He started asking me about opening my center and that he lives a block away and his provider is quitting in a year and he will need child care.

I have a BA in education. My environment and program is high quality & unique for this area also. Again, for me this keeps parents wanting to get a spot here and stay. Nope theY do not want to irritate me either!

We are kindred spirits angelsj!
Tags:rate schedule, rate sheet, rates
Reply Up