Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare and Taxes>Can You Go By A Business Name But Not Have A DBA?
legomom922 06:24 PM 09-30-2010
I have come up with a business name, but I do not want a LLC or a DBA. So can I use this name on a website I want to create and can I use it on all my DC paperwork? Such as my handbook, contracts, and invoices? I already use it as a email address. So basically can I use the name as if I did have a LLC or DBA? Or is that illegal?
Childminder 06:20 AM 10-01-2010
Contact your local county government to find the answer to your question.
Michael 03:07 PM 10-01-2010
You can go by any business name but it will not help you if someone uses the same name in your county and has a DBA or LLC. Best to get a DBA so that you can file deductions properly. There are more benifits to filing properly.
kidkair 05:35 AM 10-02-2010
Also you most likely need to show proof of your DBA to open a business checking account.
MarinaVanessa 07:07 AM 10-04-2010
You should check with your regulation office but as I understand, no you don't have to file for a DBA (doing business as) or FBN (fictitious business name) BUT you also can't use a name that is already being used by another business that has already been filed as a DBA or FBN. If you give your daycare a name and use it but don't file for a DBA or FBN and another daycare starts to use it and files for that same name then you have to stop using the name immediately eben though you had it first. I checked my book by Tom Copeland just to make sure. Here's the quote:

"If you don't register your name, another child care program may register the same name for it's business and stop you from using your business name."
Michael 01:48 PM 10-04-2010
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
You should check with your regulation office but as I understand, no you don't have to file for a DBA (doing business as) or FBN (fictitious business name) BUT you also can't use a name that is already being used by another business that has already been filed as a DBA or FBN. If you give your daycare a name and use it but don't file for a DBA or FBN and another daycare starts to use it and files for that same name then you have to stop using the name immediately eben though you had it first. I checked my book by Tom Copeland just to make sure. Here's the quote:

"If you don't register your name, another child care program may register the same name for it's business and stop you from using your business name."
I had the reverse of this happen. I filed a DBA for my first company with the county of LA. Someone else had the same business and had to ask me to give them a letter allowing them to use it. I could have said no and they would have had to change their name. Getting a DBA or LLC provides a lot of benifits. I think the BDA here is only $40 to file. Here is a sample: http://www.lavote.net/clerk/business_name.cfm
SilverSabre25 06:42 PM 10-04-2010
Hmm...never knew about this! Very useful. So how does one file/register for the DBA, and where?
MarinaVanessa 07:16 AM 10-05-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Hmm...never knew about this! Very useful. So how does one file/register for the DBA, and where?
I've never filed for a DBA, I filed for a FBN which was about the same cost to file plus the fee to print an ad in the paper. To find out how to file for a DBA just google "how to file for DBA in [your state]", that's how I learned how to file for a FBN lol. Gotta love google.
Tags:business plan, dba, llc, tom copeland
Reply Up