Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Had My First Visit Today...Got In Trouble For Swaddling...Need Advice
sammie 12:34 PM 01-09-2013
Hi All, ...new here. I have been licensed for 1 year...I had my first renewal visit this morning. I have an 11 mo old who will only sleep if he is swaddled. Well, I guess he is to old to be swaddled....news to me! She listed the violation under "Providers must demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of children and a concern for their care and well-being.",,,,huh??? Swaddling is not covered in the "Rules Regulating Family Child Care Homes" nor was is covered in any of our pre-licensing training or any other training that I have had over the past year. She said I could appeal....should I???? BTW...it is nap here and the poor little guy is screaming his head off because he is not swaddled.
daycare 12:37 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by sammie:
Hi All, ...new here. I have been licensed for 1 year...I had my first renewal visit this morning. I have an 11 mo old who will only sleep if he is swaddled. Well, I guess he is to old to be swaddled....news to me! She listed the violation under "Providers must demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of children and a concern for their care and well-being.",,,,huh??? Swaddling is not covered in the "Rules Regulating Family Child Care Homes" nor was is covered in any of our pre-licensing training or any other training that I have had over the past year. She said I could appeal....should I???? BTW...it is nap here and the poor little guy is screaming his head off because he is not swaddled.
I dont have any advice for you. I dont care for children under two, but it might be helpful to others if you list what state you are in.

each state has different rules
sammie 12:40 PM 01-09-2013
I'm in Colorado
lovemykidstoo 12:41 PM 01-09-2013
In michigan you cannot swaddle or even have a blanket in the bed of a baby 12 months and younger. If the baby were to roll over, his/her arms would be swaddled and they would have no way to move. This is from our book.

"Soft objects, bumper pads, stuffed toys, blankets, quilts or comforters, pillows, and other objects that could smother an infant shall not be placed with or under a resting or sleeping infant."
Crystal 12:48 PM 01-09-2013
I would appeal it. I would ask to be shown where it is in writing that it is a regulation to not swaddle a child of that age.
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by sammie:
While I agree it is kind of nit-picky for them to have cited you for this rather than simply discussing it with you, I do agree that it IS part of the "demonstrate an interest in and knowledge of children and a concern for their care and well-being" as 11 months is a bit old to be swaddled, although there is nothing wrong with it if a parent chooses to do so.

I have also heard a few people state that swaddling can be bad for a child as it hinders their growth and can cause hip and leg issues.

If you want to remove the citation from your file, I would absolutely argue that following parental wishes for the care of a child supercedes anything else UNLESS the practices parents wish for you to follow are dangerous and/or illegal.

Parents can NEVER give permission for you to do the wrong thing but supporting a parent who chooses to use techniques from attachment parenting type approaches is not wrong or bad.
Springdaze 12:57 PM 01-09-2013
ok, so you cant swaddle, but do they have to make it sound like you are Arnold in the scene from Kindergarten Cop and have no clue what you are doing!
lovemykidstoo 01:00 PM 01-09-2013
I would look in your provider licensing book and see what it says about sleeping guidlines like what I posted above from the one in Michigan.
cheerfuldom 01:03 PM 01-09-2013
I would absolutely appeal. but at 11 months, its time for this little guy to learn how to sleep unswaddled, it was bound to happen at some point. it will be a rough few days but he will get used to it.
lovemykidstoo 01:04 PM 01-09-2013
Is Michigan the only state that says you can't have blankets in the PNP?
kendallina 01:46 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
I would appeal it. I would ask to be shown where it is in writing that it is a regulation to not swaddle a child of that age.
This. She needs to be able to show you the specific regulation where it says babies of a certain age cannot be swaddled.
grandmom 02:01 PM 01-09-2013
Appeal it. If you don't then you are admitting that you are guilty. Then if there ever is a problem of another kind, they have a record of you admitting guilt. It looks bad on your record.
crazydaycarelady 02:49 PM 01-09-2013
I LOVE swaddling! That being said what sometimes works for me with an older child (perhaps after he turns 1yo if you have a no blanket rule) is to take a heavier blanket, sometimes I even fold a big blanket in quarters. I have them lay on their tummy and then put the heavy blanket on top of them. The weight of it makes them feel secure, similar to swaddling.

We have that no blanket rule here too and I hate it. We live in Montana, it's chilly! Also after they are over 1yo they can only have ONE blanket. I have several kids who have a snuggy blankie that they cuddle with and then after they fall asleep I like to cover them with another blanket.
SunnyDay 03:28 PM 01-09-2013
In Michigan we are allowed to use the "SwaddleMe" type blankets and also Halo type sleep sacks. I looked it up a few months ago and the technical assistance manual now has pictures included of what is acceptable.
wdmmom 03:59 PM 01-09-2013
I guess I'm a little surprised for 2 reasons...If in fact there is a regulation and the fact that licensing has no idea if this is an everyday routine or if maybe the little one was under the weather and needed a little more love than usual. Either way, I too would appeal!
lovemykidstoo 04:46 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
In Michigan we are allowed to use the "SwaddleMe" type blankets and also Halo type sleep sacks. I looked it up a few months ago and the technical assistance manual now has pictures included of what is acceptable.
I'm in michigan too. I've heard of the sleep sacks being okay, but don't know about the swaddlme type blankets. i haven't seen teh technical assistance manual with pictures. could you shoot me a link? Thanks!!
lovemykidstoo 04:47 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by crazydaycarelady:
I LOVE swaddling! That being said what sometimes works for me with an older child (perhaps after he turns 1yo if you have a no blanket rule) is to take a heavier blanket, sometimes I even fold a big blanket in quarters. I have them lay on their tummy and then put the heavy blanket on top of them. The weight of it makes them feel secure, similar to swaddling.

We have that no blanket rule here too and I hate it. We live in Montana, it's chilly! Also after they are over 1yo they can only have ONE blanket. I have several kids who have a snuggy blankie that they cuddle with and then after they fall asleep I like to cover them with another blanket.
You lay them on their tummies during sleeptime?
SunnyDay 05:37 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
I'm in michigan too. I've heard of the sleep sacks being okay, but don't know about the swaddlme type blankets. i haven't seen teh technical assistance manual with pictures. could you shoot me a link? Thanks!!
Here you go:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dh...8_248910_7.pdf
It is on page 90 (I think) under rule 400.1916
lovemykidstoo 06:42 PM 01-09-2013
Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
Here you go:
http://www.michigan.gov/documents/dh...8_248910_7.pdf
It is on page 90 (I think) under rule 400.1916
Thanks so much. I haven't seen this before and is full of great info.
MNMum 07:18 PM 01-09-2013
In Minnesota you may have your license pulled immediately if you are found to be out out of compliance with the rules regarding safe sleep.

Only mattress with waterproof covering, followed by tightly fitted sheet (nothing fancy allowed, thin only). No blankets or swaddles allowed. Sleep sacks with arms out are allowed. Up to 12 months. And that pack n play better not have any bunching in the mattress!
youretooloud 08:15 PM 01-09-2013
You lay them on their tummies during sleeptime?
She said over one year old. I lay them on tummies and put a blanket on them too. Heck, at one year, I just slide them in and let them figure it out themselves.
lovemykidstoo 04:47 AM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
She said over one year old. I lay them on tummies and put a blanket on them too. Heck, at one year, I just slide them in and let them figure it out themselves.
Thanks, I obviously missed that part.
Blackcat31 06:33 AM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by MNMum:
In Minnesota you may have your license pulled immediately if you are found to be out out of compliance with the rules regarding safe sleep.

Only mattress with waterproof covering, followed by tightly fitted sheet (nothing fancy allowed, thin only). No blankets or swaddles allowed. Sleep sacks with arms out are allowed. Up to 12 months. And that pack n play better not have any bunching in the mattress!
We are allowed to use swaddler blankets specifically made for swaddling. (like the photo below)

We can't use blankets but I have never seen anywhere in the rules/regs stating we can't use the swaddler things.

...and a bit off the original subject but the rules/regs do say infants can not sleep in anything with mesh sides (which would be PNP's according to my licensor)

9502.0425 PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT.
Subp. 9.

Infant and newborn sleeping space.

There must be a safe, comfortable sleeping space for each infant and newborn. A crib, portable crib, or playpen with waterproof mattress or pad must be provided for each infant or newborn in care. The equipment must be of safe and sturdy construction that conforms to volume 16, parts 1508 to 1508.7 and parts 1509 to 1509.9 of the Code of Federal Regulations, its successor, or have a bar or rail pattern such that a 2-3/8 inch diameter sphere cannot pass through. Playpens with mesh sidings must not be used for the care or sleeping of infants or newborns.

MyAngels 06:34 AM 01-10-2013
For Informational Purposes:

According to Caring For Our Children: National Health and Safety Performance Standards; Guidelines for Early Care and Education Programs, Third Edition

STANDARD 3.1.4.2: Swaddling

In child care settings, swaddling is not necessary or recommended.

RATIONALE: There is evidence that swaddling can increase the risk of serious health outcomes, especially in certain situations. The risk of sudden infant death is increased if an infant is swaddled and placed on his/her stomach to sleep (4) or if the infant can roll over from back to stomach. Loose blankets around the head can be a risk factor for sudden infant death syndrome (SIDS) (3). With swaddling, there is an increased risk of developmental dysplasia of the hip, a hip condition that can result in long-term disability (1,5). Hip dysplasia is felt to be more common with swaddling because infants’ legs can be forcibly extended. With excessive swaddling, infants may overheat (i.e., hyperthermia) (2).

COMMENTS: Most infants in child care centers are at least six-weeks-old. Even with newborns, research does not provide conclusive data about whether swaddling should or should not be used. Benefits of swaddling may include
decreased crying, increased sleep periods, and improved temperature control. However, temperature can be maintained with appropriate infant clothing and/or an infant sleeping bag. Although swaddling may decrease crying, there are other, more serious health concerns to consider, including SIDS and hip disease. If swaddling is used, it should be used less and less over the course of the first few weeks and months of an infant’s life.

TYPE OF FACILITY: Center; Large Family Child Care Home; Small
Family Child Care Home

RELATED STANDARDS:
Standard 3.1.4.1: Safe Sleep Practices and SIDS/Suffocation Risk
Reduction
lovemykidstoo 06:34 AM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
We are allowed to use swaddler blankets specifically made for swaddling. (like the photo below)

We can't use blankets but I have never seen anywhere in the rules/regs stating we can't use the swaddler things.

...and a bit off the original subject but the rules/regs do say infants can not sleep in anything with mesh sides (which would be PNP's according to my licensor)

9502.0425 PHYSICAL ENVIRONMENT.
Subp. 9.

Infant and newborn sleeping space.

There must be a safe, comfortable sleeping space for each infant and newborn. A crib, portable crib, or playpen with waterproof mattress or pad must be provided for each infant or newborn in care. The equipment must be of safe and sturdy construction that conforms to volume 16, parts 1508 to 1508.7 and parts 1509 to 1509.9 of the Code of Federal Regulations, its successor, or have a bar or rail pattern such that a 2-3/8 inch diameter sphere cannot pass through. Playpens with mesh sidings must not be used for the care or sleeping of infants or newborns.
Ours says that too, but it means "playpens" which are different than pnp. they're the old standard exactly square playpens from back when I was a kid type of thing. I found that out when a friend of mine got written up because she was using one. the pnp's were fine, but playpen was not.
Blackcat31 06:42 AM 01-10-2013
Ours says that too, but it means "playpens" which are different than pnp. they're the old standard exactly square playpens from back when I was a kid type of thing. I found that out when a friend of mine got written up because she was using one. the pnp's were fine, but playpen was not.
I wish that were the case where I am but my licensor specifically said that means PNP's.

I am sure like everything else, it is open to interpretation by each county and/or licensor but it is what it is so I just use a bassinet for the littlest ones and transistion them to a PNP at 1 yr and then onto a nap mat by 15-18 months.
lovemykidstoo 06:57 AM 01-10-2013
I wish that were the case where I am but my licensor specifically said that means PNP's.

I am sure like everything else, it is open to interpretation by each county and/or licensor but it is what it is so I just use a bassinet for the littlest ones and transistion them to a PNP at 1 yr and then onto a nap mat by 15-18 months.
wow that stinks. so you have to have a bassinet for every child under a year? do they fold up?
Blackcat31 07:46 AM 01-10-2013
wow that stinks. so you have to have a bassinet for every child under a year? do they fold up?
I try to only take ONE child under 12 months at a time.

Once they reach 12 months, they are transistioned to the PNP and then onto a nap mat.

My bassinet doesn't fold. But I have plenty of space.

Babies under 12 months sleep in bassinet right in main area of house surrounded by all the noise and the chaos.

My DC house has 2 bedrooms and one is dedicated to littles under age 1-2 ONLY.

My bassinet is similar to this....mine doesn't have all that fluff.
mema 10:22 AM 01-10-2013
I try to only take ONE child under 12 months at a time.

Once they reach 12 months, they are transistioned to the PNP and then onto a nap mat.

My bassinet doesn't fold. But I have plenty of space.

Babies under 12 months sleep in bassinet right in main area of house surrounded by all the noise and the chaos.

My DC house has 2 bedrooms and one is dedicated to littles under age 1-2 ONLY.

My bassinet is similar to this....mine doesn't have all that fluff.
It is definitely left up to interpretation by county because we can use pnp, but can't use bassinets at all-not even for your own child during daycare hours. Well, I guess I should say that is what my licensor says, one of the other ones may say something else which sucks since you can also get a $200 fine for any sleep violations.
mema 10:26 AM 01-10-2013
I wasn't done!!!! Wonder what I hit

I'm kind of worried for when my licensor may show up in a few months for a few reasons. 1. I don't even know if I have the same licensor-her name is MIA on their website, but nothing has been said. 2. She said it was ok that the bottom bunched a little in the pnp corner. 3. I have heard from a few others that now they said no pnp, but a note that was sent out said it is ok.

When the babes I have grow up, I am done with under 12 months no matter what.
Blackcat31 10:39 AM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by mema:

When the babes I have grow up, I am done with under 12 months no matter what.
That is EXACTLY my plan as well.

I stopped taking babies a while back and then ammended it to taking babies of families I already had in care (no newbies) but these last 2 babies have wiped me out and the stress involved with changes that happen within the first year of life as well as the ever-changing rules and regs in regards to licensing have just done me in.

I have only a few months to go and no more babies for me.
lovemykidstoo 10:43 AM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by mema:
It is definitely left up to interpretation by county because we can use pnp, but can't use bassinets at all-not even for your own child during daycare hours. Well, I guess I should say that is what my licensor says, one of the other ones may say something else which sucks since you can also get a $200 fine for any sleep violations.
Since when can they tell you what to do with your own child? That's bologna. My consultant says I can do whatever I want with my own. That sounds like a consultant issue.
Blackcat31 11:37 AM 01-10-2013
Since when can they tell you what to do with your own child? That's bologna. My consultant says I can do whatever I want with my own. That sounds like a consultant issue.
No, it's part of the new cribs rules. We can't even have an heirloom crib on the property or we are citied for it.

Our children are baiscally considered daycare kids when we are open and operating when it comes to safe sleep.
mema 11:42 AM 01-10-2013
No, it's part of the new cribs rules. We can't even have an heirloom crib on the property or we are citied for it.

Our children are baiscally considered daycare kids when we are open and operating when it comes to safe sleep.
Here it isn't new. At least not for the licensor I have/had. When I got licensed they said this. I'm just glad my kids aren't little any longer. They pretty much do whatever. My dd still counts in my numbers, but that isn't a big deal.
lovemykidstoo 11:45 AM 01-10-2013

Wow that's something. I remember when I had my very first audit 12 years ago and the woman saying that she didn't care what I did with my own child. I'll have to ask her when she comes this time. I'm up for renewal so she'll be coming My kids are 12 and 14 now so it doesn't matter, but just curious.
mrsp'slilpeeps 12:07 PM 01-10-2013
And this is why I am unlicenced. Way too many rules and how are you supposed to manage a daycare if you are miserable because the kids are miserable?

I understand that they have rules that you must follow for the childs saftey but come on, some of the rules are rediculous.
youretooloud 12:45 PM 01-10-2013
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
And this is why I am unlicenced. Way too many rules and how are you supposed to manage a daycare if you are miserable because the kids are miserable?

I understand that they have rules that you must follow for the childs saftey but come on, some of the rules are rediculous.

I was thinking the same thing. It seems cruel to just put an infant on his or her back with no comfort items. How sad for these babies. It seems so cold and sterile. I keep picturing tiny infants in some orphanage with no blankets or snuggly things.

If I had to follow these insane rules, I wouldn't keep infants. I'd never be able to put them down since everything they need/want/deserve is deemed unsafe by people who have never raised a baby.
MyAngels 02:14 PM 01-10-2013
I was thinking the same thing. It seems cruel to just put an infant on his or her back with no comfort items. How sad for these babies. It seems so cold and sterile. I keep picturing tiny infants in some orphanage with no blankets or snuggly things.

If I had to follow these insane rules, I wouldn't keep infants. I'd never be able to put them down since everything they need/want/deserve is deemed unsafe by people who have never raised a baby.
I understand what you are saying, but the incidence of SIDS in the US has dropped by 50% since the introduction of the original Safe Sleep Standards in 1992.

The people responsible for these standards have done extensive research in this field and their efforts have, in my estimation, saved an untold number of babies.

I wish education in this area was both more plentiful and more in-depth.
sammie 05:47 AM 01-11-2013
Thank you all for you insight and advice! I really appreciate it!!
melilley 06:22 AM 01-11-2013
Wow that's something. I remember when I had my very first audit 12 years ago and the woman saying that she didn't care what I did with my own child. I'll have to ask her when she comes this time. I'm up for renewal so she'll be coming My kids are 12 and 14 now so it doesn't matter, but just curious.
When I went to orientation in MI last month, the consultant said that for our own kids we can do what we want, but in the same day she also said that we couldn't have cribs that weren't up to code in the house, it's confusing.
Blackcat31 09:47 AM 01-11-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I understand what you are saying, but the incidence of SIDS in the US has dropped by 50% since the introduction of the original Safe Sleep Standards in 1992.

The people responsible for these standards have done extensive research in this field and their efforts have, in my estimation, saved an untold number of babies.

I wish education in this area was both more plentiful and more in-depth.
I just did my SIDS re-training on Tues. The paperwork we got said that the # of SIDS deaths hasn't really declined as much as they would like us to believe.

Postneonatal mortality rates of several other causes of sudden unexpected infant death have increased significantly, particularly over the years 1999–2001 These observations increase the likelihood that some deaths previously classified as SIDS are now being classified in other categories and the true SIDS rate since 1999 may be static. (http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...16/5/1245.full)

Don't get me wrong, I am not disagreeing with you at all about safe sleep habits but it just isn't that cut and dry. IMO. The gal doing the training siad she honestly thinks the back-to-sleep method may change the outcome in some possible infant deaths but she fully believes that babies who die of SIDS are pre-programed with it from the get go and that 99.9% of the time she feels that there is nothing we can do to prevent it.

The same info goes with the infant mortality report that was cirulating in our state not to long ago. They want to make all these chanes to what providers can and cant do with infants all based on a certain number of infant deaths that occurred in child cares when they never actually said if the provider was negligent or not. Several of the deaths were suffocation, which is not SIDS and some of the other deaths were COMPLETELY unpreventable in my opinon.

We had a provder here in my community that had a baby die of SIDS while in her care. Baby was in the living room in the PNP on her back. Provider was right there. There was nothing that provider could have done differently.

It is scary and sad and ultimately I think changing some of our laws regarding family leave acts and maternity/paternity leaves so that infants can stay at home is the only REAL way we are going to be able to take hte spotlight and/or focus off of child care providers.
youretooloud 09:53 AM 01-11-2013
Years ago, you could leave your baby under a pillow, and that would be called sids. Anything that wasn't an illness, obvious child abuse, or an accident was caused sids. If the parents woke up the next morning and said "I have no idea what happened" it was labeled sids.
Blackcat31 10:04 AM 01-11-2013
Years ago, you could leave your baby under a pillow, and that would be called sids. Anything that wasn't an illness, obvious child abuse, or an accident was caused sids. If the parents woke up the next morning and said "I have no idea what happened" it was labeled sids.
Exactly! Now with medical advancements infant deaths can now be divided into categories that clearly define what happened so not everything is considered SIDS....which in turn makes it appear as though the number of SIDS deaths have dramatically declined.

Just like this whole Obamacare medical coverage change....employers are going to hire two part time employees to do one full time job to skip around having to insure them and that is going to make it appear as though the unemployment rate has declined and everyone is going to think the economy is on the upturn and getting better..... LOL! Sorry, mini rant....it just reminded me of that same concept.
MyAngels 11:18 AM 01-11-2013
I just did my SIDS re-training on Tues. The paperwork we got said that the # of SIDS deaths hasn't really declined as much as they would like us to believe.

Postneonatal mortality rates of several other causes of sudden unexpected infant death have increased significantly, particularly over the years 1999–2001 These observations increase the likelihood that some deaths previously classified as SIDS are now being classified in other categories and the true SIDS rate since 1999 may be static. (http://pediatrics.aappublications.or...16/5/1245.full)

Don't get me wrong, I am not disagreeing with you at all about safe sleep habits but it just isn't that cut and dry. IMO. The gal doing the training siad she honestly thinks the back-to-sleep method may change the outcome in some possible infant deaths but she fully believes that babies who die of SIDS are pre-programed with it from the get go and that 99.9% of the time she feels that there is nothing we can do to prevent it.

The same info goes with the infant mortality report that was cirulating in our state not to long ago. They want to make all these chanes to what providers can and cant do with infants all based on a certain number of infant deaths that occurred in child cares when they never actually said if the provider was negligent or not. Several of the deaths were suffocation, which is not SIDS and some of the other deaths were COMPLETELY unpreventable in my opinon.

We had a provder here in my community that had a baby die of SIDS while in her care. Baby was in the living room in the PNP on her back. Provider was right there. There was nothing that provider could have done differently.

It is scary and sad and ultimately I think changing some of our laws regarding family leave acts and maternity/paternity leaves so that infants can stay at home is the only REAL way we are going to be able to take hte spotlight and/or focus off of child care providers.
I agree that many deaths that used to be classified as SIDS were really not SIDS. However, the Safe Sleep Standards can and do prevent many children from dying a preventable death.

I don't think that the standards will necessarily prevent a true SIDS death, but they can prevent babies from dying because they were placed face down on a soft surface, or were suffocated by having many stuffed animals in their cribs, or because they were covered with a blanket that covered their faces, etc.

I think that the 50% reduction statistic is based on the fact that, because of the awareness that's been raised by the "Back to Sleep" campaign and others, many babies who might have been put into an unsafe sleep environment were not, and lived because of it .
lovemykidstoo 11:21 AM 01-11-2013
Exactly! Now with medical advancements infant deaths can now be divided into categories that clearly define what happened so not everything is considered SIDS....which in turn makes it appear as though the number of SIDS deaths have dramatically declined.

Just like this whole Obamacare medical coverage change....employers are going to hire two part time employees to do one full time job to skip around having to insure them and that is going to make it appear as though the unemployment rate has declined and everyone is going to think the economy is on the upturn and getting better..... LOL! Sorry, mini rant....it just reminded me of that same concept.
Don't get me started LOL! I'm with ya girl!
Country Kids 12:50 PM 01-11-2013

You had to go there!

I was actually thinking about this the other day from my retail experience and this probably isn't going to work as well as they think. We usually had 2 full-time employees to one part-time employee.

Even when I worked in the restaurant business you had more full-timers because you had to cover the different rushes you had and it was easier to train full-timers then part-timers (just like in childcare).

Sorry for the hijack-BC's fault-
harperluu 02:06 PM 01-11-2013
No. MN is the same. Although our county will allow sleep sacks.
melilley 02:59 PM 01-11-2013
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
I agree that many deaths that used to be classified as SIDS were really not SIDS. However, the Safe Sleep Standards can and do prevent many children from dying a preventable death.

I don't think that the standards will necessarily prevent a true SIDS death, but they can prevent babies from dying because they were placed face down on a soft surface, or were suffocated by having many stuffed animals in their cribs, or because they were covered with a blanket that covered their faces, etc.

I think that the 50% reduction statistic is based on the fact that, because of the awareness that's been raised by the "Back to Sleep" campaign and others, many babies who might have been put into an unsafe sleep environment were not, and lived because of it .
I agree, I knew someone who had a family member who put their baby in a crib with a sheet and the sheet wrapped around the babies neck and he died. If they knew about the safe sleep practices (I don't know if they did or not) and/or followed the guidelines, the baby would have lived.
Tags:inspection, swaddling
Reply Up