Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Concern
Heart12 01:42 PM 10-17-2016
I have a DCB (5mos next week) that I am just a little concerned about, as far as milestones. DCB does not roll over, (not even on his side) or grab his feet. Since last week I have noticed him grabbing more at toys on the play mat/exersaucer, though he has not quite yet mastered it. He hates tummy time & screams the second his tummy touches the floor. At feedings, he is very fussy with the bottle, this is nothing new though-the parents told me he's even more fussy at home when nursing "because he has to work for the milk". DCP are still swaddling him at night (most nights 1 arm out, though Mom admitted that in desperate times she swaddles both). Mom is sleeping in the nursery with him because he's not sleeping through the night. I am swaddling one arm at daycare, but the last 3 weeks have been rough trying to get him to nap. 30min. naps (if Im lucky) until the end of the day, then he just crashes & then its time for pick up. Ive also been working on trying to get him on more of a schedule while here, because he was eating around the clock here & it just was not working.

So what do you guys think? Should I voice my concerns to the parents? Or am I being overly cautious? Also, any advice on how to handle the nap time issue would be soooo appreciated!!! Asking the parents for advice hasnt gotten me very far. It seems that they let this baby run the show at home & I want to establish more of a routine here!
Indoorvoice 02:09 PM 10-17-2016
I wouldn't be too worried about the milestones. My daughter also turns 5mo next week and also does not roll or grab her feet. She does eat well and sleep well though.

I think it's a good idea to bring up the sleep and eating concerns. It sounds like they need to work on bottle feeding so he can be more comfortable with it. They also need to work on getting him to sleep alone which will probably involve some crying.
Jujube835 02:10 PM 10-17-2016
All of that sounds completely normal for a 5 month old
He's too young for a schedule, just feed and sleep on demand. As he grows he will most likely establish his own schedule and then it'll be easier for you to predict his needs.
Georgiads 03:59 PM 10-17-2016
Does he seem to have low muscle tone. I have a very fussy 9 month old. She is held at all time at home, sleeps poorly and can only sit when proped up. She can't roll, grab her feet, sit up on her own and hates tummy time. She's huge but when I pick her up it feels like a sack of jelly!

I sleep trained her here so at least she naps for 30 to 45 minutes a day here. At home naps don't really happen and she co sleeps. She also was not bottle trained when I got her at 5 months(that was fun).

It just takes a lot of work and consistency. And patience especially since she's a screamer!

Good luck!
daycare 04:18 PM 10-17-2016
I also would not worry about the milestones. My son who is now 9years old, did not roll over, craw, sit up unil7 months and then one day at 8.5 months I come out of the bathroom and he is standing with nothing around him in the middle of the living room floor. Next week, he started walking...

I was flipping out that he was not doing any of those things and the doctor told me to be patient.
MsHannah 04:23 PM 10-17-2016
Don't worry about it. He'll start rolling when he's ready. Either that or he'll just skip that milestone and move on to crawling.
Heart12 06:46 AM 10-18-2016
Whew! Ok. Thank you!

I am friends with a former provider in the neighborhood & she brought it up to me yesterday & said I should talk with the parents. I wasn't sure if it was too soon to worry about that so figured I'd check here first

As far as trying to get him to sleep, I really hope this is just a faze. I'm not sure how much he is held at home, he's not much of a crier unless Im trying to get him to nap. Thanks for all of your help!!
KarenSue 08:34 AM 10-18-2016
I sympathize with the baby only getting 30 minute naps. I have three babies and they consistently take 2 naps a day each 1 1/2 to 2 hours long. I may go crazy if I had one not napping
Tags:milestones
Reply Up