Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Update On "Payment Drama" - When To Cut Her Off?
MG&Lsmom 07:37 AM 06-15-2011
I posted 2 weeks ago about my DCM and all her drama over finances and her ability/inability to pay for services.

Today at drop off she informs me that payment will not be on Friday, for services last week and this week, but Monday or Wed of next week. Baby daddy is still withholding money, no gas, has to leave work for DR appt for a hurt back, etc......

I need to cut her off, but when? I have no specific clause in my contract regarding 'no pay no play', only that payments are due Friday for the next week's care. Obviously something that will be changing.
SilverSabre25 07:44 AM 06-15-2011
I think it would be entirely appropriate to tell her, "I'm sorry, but you are now two weeks behind in paying me. If you don't have the money on Friday, I cannot accept dck into care until I've been paid."

NOW would be the point to cut her off...if she hasn't paid you yet, she's probably not going to...
cheerfuldom 07:45 AM 06-15-2011
cut her off now. It doesn't matter if you don't have it spelled out in the contract. she hasn't paid for services already rendered, its common sense that you wouldn't then continue to provide more
sharlan 07:46 AM 06-15-2011
Next week she will owe you for 3 weeks.

What are your chances of replacing this child?
MG&Lsmom 07:49 AM 06-15-2011
Right now he's my only consistent kid. I've got 2 FT slots open, been open for 2.5 months. Replacing would be hard. But I'm working for free with summer coming and there are things I can do with my own kids I can't do with him around. Not a problem if I'm really working and getting paid.
dEHmom 07:53 AM 06-15-2011
she's stalling. she's getting farther behind as well. She will never be able to pay you back all that she owes. If she is relying on the money from dcd, and he's not paying, there's something going on. I wouldnt' care who pays for it, dcd or dcm, it's MY MONEY and i want it now. Advise her she has till friday to pay up to date, and if she doesn't pay for the next week as well ON FRIDAY, then you will not be providing services, and if her balance is not paid in full by such and such a date, then you will have to proceed with filing.

doesn't matter what their situation is. She owes you money and that's that.
boysx5 08:02 AM 06-15-2011
I alway say the longer you let it go the harder it is to get your money if they can't pay 200 they won't be able to pay when it gets to be 600
dEHmom 08:17 AM 06-15-2011
i understand that you are not wanting to lose this family. but truth is, you are providing FREE daycare. And if you continue to provide FREE daycare, you're not exactly helping yourself out any.
littlemissmuffet 08:42 AM 06-15-2011
Originally Posted by boysx5:
I alway say the longer you let it go the harder it is to get your money if they can't pay 200 they won't be able to pay when it gets to be 600
Agreed. Give until tomorrow am to have funds owing in hand - if not, you have to cut ties.
daycare 08:55 AM 06-15-2011
I had a situation years ago like this....never again, but it ened ok.

What I did was demand some form of payment each week. the mom lost her job and was unemployed for a few weeks, so I worked with her on it.

Every week she gave me $50.00. Then when she got her new job, she had to pay me the normal rate plus $50.00 until it was all caught up. I also charged her an additional $10.00 each week until she was caught up.

The only reason I helped her was because she had never been late in the previous 6 months...

But I don't do favors anymore like this. If you can't pay, you can't stay...
laundrymom 09:02 AM 06-15-2011
I would tell her, I'm sorry, I understand how that makes things hard but yor account is seriously behind. I need 1/2 the full balance in cash by Friday. The rest you can pay Wednesday. Late fees will be added until your account is current. I have bills due and need income to keep my bills current. I am tired of borrowing money from my family to make my bills. Then do the stare. "
Live and Learn 09:19 AM 06-15-2011
Cut her off now and change your policy to payment before playing.....

Then enforce it.

You will never allow yourself to be in this situation again if you enforce a good rule.
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:20 AM 06-15-2011
I have had 2 parents do this to me aswell, same excuses, and I have never seen a dime. I would terminate care until she pays the full amount. You may never see her again.
MG&Lsmom 09:22 AM 06-15-2011
DCB has only been coming 2-3 days a week and at the moment she owes me for 3 days (one from last week, 2 from this week). She owes me $75, so really not that far behind monetarily. But it's the principle of her being behind, canceling at the last minute because her hours got cut for the day and that I can't count on her any more. If she's not caught up by Wed I'm not letting her in. Now help me stay strong!
Kaddidle Care 10:39 AM 06-15-2011
She needs to give you SOMETHING at her next drop off, even if it's $25.00. You can work with her but you can't work for free either.
MN Day Mom 11:28 AM 06-15-2011
Has this happened in the past with this family?

I've had a family in the past that would at time to time have trouble paying me... they always made good on what they owed though... and I never worried they wouldn't, so I would work with them through the harder times. It could have of bit me in the butt, but thankfully it didn't.
wdmmom 11:29 AM 06-15-2011
If she's getting a check each week, you need to get a check each week! Even if she's only paying you a portion, it shows you she's not taking advantage. Tell her payment is due on the day she gets paid. No more baby daddy drama. I'm sick of parents relying on child support. It's not guaranteed!
daycare 11:46 AM 06-15-2011
very true about child support, banks wont consider it as income...
Mike Lassiter 03:48 PM 06-15-2011
She is still eating and keeping gas in the car presumably so she is not destitute and able to pay for her other needs.
It is not fair to you that she has to pay for gas to go in the car; yet thinks you can wait till she is ready to take care of you. You should tell her, her problems are hers not yours. You waiting has made it ok to continue having reasons/excuses why I cannot pay.
Trust me I know how that works. My oldest daughter lives in my wife's mobile home and pays rent to us. They bought a new van a few years back and have as yet never paid by the 10th as instructed. They have paid 8 to 10 months back rent for the last 3 years now when they get their income tax refund. I have told her MANY TIMES if she was anybody else she would have been thrown out YEARS ago.
She doesn't "blow" their money so she says, but she goes to Wal Mart daily amoung other stores. There is ALWAYS something more important (to her) than paying rent on time (or other bills) and they get pissy about their poor credit?
Your lady maybe going through a hard time but that will get much worse if she loses daycare for her child and can't go to work. You just have to wonder about peoples priorities!
Mom_of_two 05:58 PM 06-15-2011
I only accept payment prior to service. Occasionally someone forgets and I let them bring it the next day, we all forget things. I would not allow a child to come here if the parent outright told me I would not be paid for services. OP it sounds like you DO have it specifically in your contract payment is due prior to care. She is completely taking advantage. Her financial issues are not your problem/business. Your Daycare business is. It would never be acceptable in a center. I know there are some home daycare providers who like to help out their families with financial issues by allowing late payments. I am unable to do that, or I'd have financial issues of my own!! I would not offer free services! Good luck. Keep us posted!
Tags:non-payment
Reply Up