Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No Pay - No Stay
blandino 07:14 PM 01-23-2013
I have a feeling tomorrow I am going to have to implement my first "no stay -no pay", I am just curious how everyone else handles/words the actual action. I know it needs to be done, but I am DREADING it.

So mom will walk in, usual chit chat, then I ask if she has her payment, she does not, and .... ?? Just say "I'm sorry but we cannot care for DCB until we have received tuition." Is that what you all say ?

Here's to hoping she does actually have the check tomorrow.
crazydaycarelady 07:23 PM 01-23-2013
Yes, that's perfect!
coolconfidentme 07:36 PM 01-23-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:

Here's to hoping she does actually have the check tomorrow.
(Giggle, giggle, snort, giggle some more)
cheerfuldom 07:41 PM 01-23-2013
Can you meet them at the door so they dont come in? It will be easier to say no right off than to try and get them to leave once DCB is already there. If she says she will go get it and come back, make her take DCB with her!
Meeko 08:47 PM 01-23-2013
I find it easier to remind the night before at pick up.

"Don' t forget I'll need your payment before Suzie can stay tomorrow!"

It's then easier to turn away at the door. That's another reason why I don't just let parents walk in uninvited. They have to be invited in and that won't happen if they haven't paid.
blandino 05:48 AM 01-24-2013
Well, she did bring it, but made up some bogus story about it being in her husbands car - it totally didn't make sense at all. Especially since I asked DCD for the check when he came and he said he didn't have it. And also, why would you put it in the husbands car if you have it, and you drop off. So it was basically a big lie.

We had her add on a late fee and she was livid. Keep in mind this is the 4/5 late payment since they started Dec 1. Oh well, at this point they will be getting a termination letter this week.
Blackcat31 06:51 AM 01-24-2013
Well, she did bring it, but made up some bogus story about it being in her husbands car - it totally didn't make sense at all. Especially since I asked DCD for the check when he came and he said he didn't have it. And also, why would you put it in the husbands car if you have it, and you drop off. So it was basically a big lie.

We had her add on a late fee and she was livid. Keep in mind this is the 4/5 late payment since they started Dec 1. Oh well, at this point they will be getting a termination letter this week.
...wait....she was mad at YOU because SHE paid late and incurred a late fee?!?!?!?!?!

As for you, I am so sorry you are dealing with such a rude and disrespectful client! Good for you for terming too! I would make sure DCM understands that the late payments (and late fees) were something you were dealing with (although NOT happy about them) but that she is being termed for her attitude!

Why would she not get a late fee? She paid late....pretty sure that is an easy concept to understand....

The general attitude of some people really confuses the heck out of me.
blandino 08:29 AM 01-24-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
...wait....she was mad at YOU because SHE paid late and incurred a late fee?!?!?!?!?!

As for you, I am so sorry you are dealing with such a rude and disrespectful client! Good for you for terming too! I would make sure DCM understands that the late payments (and late fees) were something you were dealing with (although NOT happy about them) but that she is being termed for her attitude!

Why would she not get a late fee? She paid late....pretty sure that is an easy concept to understand....

The general attitude of some people really confuses the heck out of me.
Exactly !! How could someone be angry for being charged a late fee when they are in fact paying late. It's pretty logical to me. Will type up the term letter today at nap. We are going to list all the late payment dates.

For anyone who remembers, this is also my family with the child who wasn't gaining weight and also the child whose parents were subbing cereal on place of formula in his bottles - so hardly a problem free family anyway.

Also, for icing on the cake. Yesterday she texts me before daycare and says he has a cold but no fever - can DCB come today ? I said. Yes, as long as there is no fever.

She showed up and says the ped says to give him Tylenol every 4 hours for his cold. I reaffirm that he never had a fever, she said no. After 5 hours I took his temp and no fever. But why in the world are we giving the baby Tylenol for a cold ?? This morning we questioned her about it, she said it was so he didn't get a fever. What kind of back assward logic is that ?!? We told her that we have me we heard of that, and you don't want to mask a fever. So after she leaves mad, I et a text that says "if the tylenol is a problem, don't do it - I will give it to him at home". I responded with "well it just worries us because we won't know if/when he does have a fever" the only communication we've had after that is "well, do we need to come get him" I said "not at all".

Blackcat, send some backbone my way for tomorrow morning and the term letter. Going to do it, but dreading it
daycare 08:38 AM 01-24-2013
Exactly !! How could someone be angry for being charged a late fee when they are in fact paying late. It's pretty logical to me. Will type up the term letter today at nap. We are going to list all the late payment dates.

For anyone who remembers, this is also my family with the child who wasn't gaining weight and also the child whose parents were subbing cereal on place of formula in his bottles - so hardly a problem free family anyway.

Also, for icing on the cake. Yesterday she texts me before daycare and says he has a cold but no fever - can DCB come today ? I said. Yes, as long as there is no fever.

She showed up and says the ped says to give him Tylenol every 4 hours for his cold. I reaffirm that he never had a fever, she said no. After 5 hours I took his temp and no fever. But why in the world are we giving the baby Tylenol for a cold ?? This morning we questioned her about it, she said it was so he didn't get a fever. What kind of back assward logic is that ?!? We told her that we have me we heard of that, and you don't want to mask a fever. So after she leaves mad, I et a text that says "if the tylenol is a problem, don't do it - I will give it to him at home". I responded with "well it just worries us because we won't know if/when he does have a fever" the only communication we've had after that is "well, do we need to come get him" I said "not at all".

Blackcat, send some backbone my way for tomorrow morning and the term letter. Going to do it, but dreading it
ugh..... I cant wait for this to end for you!!

One thing that I do want to say is this. I NEVER ever will give any form of meds to a child without a doc note. NOt even over the counter. If your child needs over the counter meds, parents can give them at home as long as they are not masking any form of illness.

We have no clue why we would be giving the child the meds nor the actual recommended dosages.

For your sanity and for your safety I would adapt something similar to this.

I had a mom a few weeks ago ask me if I could give her daughter Tylenol because I called her to let her know that she had been crying for 2 hours and could not participate with the group. I reminded her sorry, I am not allowed to administer anything without a doctors note. Mom ended up coming to pick up....
MarinaVanessa 01:37 PM 01-25-2013
I don't give meds to any child in daycare PERIOD. No DR is going to tell you to give a child Tylenol for a cold ... I'm sorry but DCM lied to you. Tylenol is a pain and fever reducer. IMO if a child is in pain or has a fever they need to stay home. If I were you I'd keep checking for the fever and I would stop giving Tylenol at DC, once the fever pops up I would call DCM and have her pick up DCB then when she arrived I'd hand her her immediate termination notice.
Blackcat31 01:43 PM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I don't give meds to any child in daycare PERIOD. No DR is going to tell you to give a child Tylenol for a cold ... I'm sorry but DCM lied to you. Tylenol is a pain and fever reducer. IMO if a child is in pain or has a fever they need to stay home. If I were you I'd keep checking for the fever and I would stop giving Tylenol at DC, once the fever pops up I would call DCM and have her pick up DCB then when she arrived I'd hand her her immediate termination notice.
I was thinking the same thing. If I remember right, my physician told me a long time ago when my own kids were little that Tylenol will actually prolong a cold since it isn't meant for that.

Remember the Tylenol Cold? I think they took it off the shelf long before they removed the other cold remedies for kids under 6 because I think it contradicted itself.
cheerfuldom 02:07 PM 01-25-2013
I dont give any medications or anything even close to medications...no Tylenol, no breathing treatments, no teething tablets, nothing. I dont want ill children here and i dont want the liability of reactions to this type of thing. the only thing i will do is topical creams for rashes IF the rash is non-contagious.
blandino 04:01 PM 01-25-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:

I talked to her a about it, and she was very defensive And said it was to "stop him from getting a fever" - WHAT ?!? I told her it won't stop a fever, it will just mask it - and you want him getting a fever if that is his bodies natural response to fight off what he has.

I just told her I would not do it because I need to know if he has a fever or not. And I do take his temp about 5/6 hours after the meds he got at home. So far no fever.

Thank you for reaffirming that giving Tylenol for a cold is BS. I mean, it didn't make sense to me. But its so nice to be validated.
daycarediva 04:12 PM 01-25-2013
Wow, I cannot believe it's the same FTT baby! Poor child I would be terming as well.

At this point (the tylenol for a cold is a blatant lie) I might even call my registrar to see if CPS needs to be involved with this LO. 'Misunderstanding' the formula instructions (as a child who was underweight I made CERTAIN I understood those instructions!), and now the tylenol issue? I wonder if she even made that phone call? Did you ever see a physicians note for the formula equation?

This gives me a bad feeling.
Unregistered 05:11 PM 01-25-2013
I'm a daycare parent and also an ER pediatric nurse and Tylenol is definitely not for colds. In the ER we actually tell parents to initially not give a child Tylenol when he/she has a fever because we want to know how high the fever can potentially get. There is nothing wrong with a child having a fever because it is the bodies reaction to killing the virus that the child has. So what she said is absolutely wrong. We would never tell a parent to give a child Tylenol to prevent a fever, that's just rediculous

Oh and I wanted to let all you ladies know that so many kids are coming in with the flu right now, so be on alert and wash those hands!
Tags:non-payment
Reply Up