Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baby's Schedule
lovemykidstoo 06:07 AM 05-02-2018
I have an 8 month old baby that is with me full time. He is adorable, love him to death, but his sleep schedule is driving me nuts. Mom puts him to bed about 8:00, so of course there is no way he's going to sleep all night. He gets up like every 4 hours for her. So of course he's tired in the morning when he gets here. He wants to take a morning nap and would sleep 5 hours if I let him because he's been up half the night. The problem is, I have 5 other kids that want to go outside. The one time he gets up in the middle of the night he gets fed. He's 8 months old and weighs 24 lbs lol. The other times he cries. They will not do a CIA type of thing. So I've been letting him sleep about an hour in the morning, but still the other kids want to go out. I just cannot wait until he has a normal sleep schedule and comes here rested and not tired and cranky. Mom and I talked about it and I told her that instead of putting him down at 8 maybe putting him down later. Anyone have this issue?
Cat Herder 06:15 AM 05-02-2018
Can you do infant morning nap outdoors (10am)? I use the little zip/screened pop tents. Works great, cheap and easy to store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OCVL468O&psc=1
lovemykidstoo 06:48 AM 05-02-2018
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
Can you do infant morning nap outdoors (10am)? I use the little zip/screened pop tents. Works great, cheap and easy to store.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...OCVL468O&psc=1
I haven't tried this. I have tried in the stroller. He used to lay in that and would sleep, but now he hollers.
Ac114 07:00 AM 05-02-2018
My 9 month old goes to bed at 8pm and wakes up at 7am. She has morning nap around 9:30 for 2 hours and afternoon nap around 1:30 for another 1.5. She usually wakes 2-4 times to nurse. Is this baby breastfed or bottle fed. Not all babies sleep through the night at 8 months. Is baby tired and ready for bed by 8pm. Keeping her up later is just going to make her overtired and cranky.
lovemykidstoo 07:31 AM 05-02-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
My 9 month old goes to bed at 8pm and wakes up at 7am. She has morning nap around 9:30 for 2 hours and afternoon nap around 1:30 for another 1.5. She usually wakes 2-4 times to nurse. Is this baby breastfed or bottle fed. Not all babies sleep through the night at 8 months. Is baby tired and ready for bed by 8pm. Keeping her up later is just going to make her overtired and cranky.
When he gets picked up from here, he goes home and usually sleeps an hour or two, so that puts him getting back up from a nap about 6 or so. Based off that, not sure how tired he is at 8 or if mom is just tired? He seems to have a sleep 3 hours, be up 2 hours routine all night and day. She said he is only nursing 1 time throughout the night. He is so funny because this boy is a chunk. For his age, he is hard to carry for too long lol. Do breast fed babies typically still eat 4 times a night and for how long?
Ac114 07:54 AM 05-02-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
When he gets picked up from here, he goes home and usually sleeps an hour or two, so that puts him getting back up from a nap about 6 or so. Based off that, not sure how tired he is at 8 or if mom is just tired? He seems to have a sleep 3 hours, be up 2 hours routine all night and day. She said he is only nursing 1 time throughout the night. He is so funny because this boy is a chunk. For his age, he is hard to carry for too long lol. Do breast fed babies typically still eat 4 times a night and for how long?
I think it really just depends on the baby. Mine is more of a comfort nurser so she will nurse for about 3 minutes and fall back asleep. I’m not sure if she really needs to eat or just needs settled back down.

If he’s taking a long nap that late in the evening, it may benefit him to stay up for another hour. My LO took a late afternoon nap and woke up at 6 so she didn’t go down until about 9:30. I was exhausted.
lovemykidstoo 08:15 AM 05-02-2018
Originally Posted by Ac114:
I think it really just depends on the baby. Mine is more of a comfort nurser so she will nurse for about 3 minutes and fall back asleep. I’m not sure if she really needs to eat or just needs settled back down.

If he’s taking a long nap that late in the evening, it may benefit him to stay up for another hour. My LO took a late afternoon nap and woke up at 6 so she didn’t go down until about 9:30. I was exhausted.
She has gotten him to take his paci now so that has limited her times getting up. He was getting up 4 times, but at least half were because he just wanted to have that comfort sucking, so when she gave him the paci, that helped that. he wasn't hungry at those times apparantley. I did not breastfeed when we had our son and I was still working outside the home, so he went to full time care. By the time we got him and home it was 6. So we were up with him playing with him, giving him baths, enjoying time basically. We usually had him go down about 9 and he slept until 6:30/7:00 which worked out beautifully. So many of my parents pick up at 5:30 and go home and put kids to bed at 7. It makes me sad that they don't get time with them.
mamamanda 11:24 AM 05-02-2018
An 8 mo should get 11-12 hours of night sleep & 2-3 hours of daytime sleep. He's probably over tired, not under tired. Repeated night waking is honestly a sign of fatigue, dumb as that sounds. My 8 mo dcg is the same way. She goes to bed at 8:00 & is up 3-6 times a night. Mom rocks/nurse's her back to sleep. I finally figured out she was so tired & started putting her back to bed immediately upon arrival. She takes 3 naps here for a total of 5-6 hours.

I don't know what your state regs are. I am legally unlicensed & my husband sleeps during the day. I let the baby sleep while we are outside. Dh is in the house with her & I have the monitor with both sight & sound outside with me. Are you by yourself where you can't go out if you just let him sleep?
mamamanda 11:27 AM 05-02-2018
The current recommendation is 1-2 night feedings at this age if I'm not mistaken.
lovemykidstoo 11:39 AM 05-02-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
The current recommendation is 1-2 night feedings at this age if I'm not mistaken.
Is that strictly for breastfed? They must be feeding him right, he's not starving hahaha! Pretty much 24 lbs at 8 months
mamamanda 11:43 AM 05-02-2018
Is that strictly for breastfed? They must be feeding him right, he's not starving hahaha! Pretty much 24 lbs at 8 months
Everything I've read says babies are capable of sleeping through the night at this point, but some breastfed infants still wake for 1-2 feedings. By 9 mo they should be down to one
lovemykidstoo 12:08 PM 05-02-2018
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Everything I've read says babies are capable of sleeping through the night at this point, but some breastfed infants still wake for 1-2 feedings. By 9 mo they should be down to one
I was lucky. My kids were both bottle fed and my son slept through the night at 8 weeks old and my daughter at about 10 I think.
Tags:8 month old, schedules
Reply Up