Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>CPR/First Aid
lovemykidstoo 09:11 AM 06-17-2018
Has anyone done CPR or First Aid online classes? I found a site that goes through all the videos and you get a test and then can print out a card for $30, but not sure if it's acceptable.
Josiegirl 10:20 AM 06-17-2018
I did and my state accepted it. It was through International CPR Institute. I think we're allowed to do it online once, not sure. Check with your state regs. and see. IIRC I had to submit copy of my CPR card to the state to verify that I'd done it.
Unregistered 11:19 AM 06-17-2018
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
I did and my state accepted it. It was through International CPR Institute. I think we're allowed to do it online once, not sure. Check with your state regs. and see. IIRC I had to submit copy of my CPR card to the state to verify that I'd done it.
In my state, we are allowed to if we're renewing within the time limit. If it's your first first time or your card has lapsed, you have to do it in person.
Jiminycrickets 12:11 PM 06-17-2018
In my state we can do the hybrid ones, where you do most of the class online and then go in for a skills test, but not the purely online type.
Josiegirl 01:35 PM 06-17-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
In my state, we are allowed to if we're renewing within the time limit. If it's your first first time or your card has lapsed, you have to do it in person.
Right, here too. Forgot about that.
284878 02:14 PM 06-17-2018
Here you can do online but then you have to meet with the instructor to do hands on.
You pay for the online class also the instructor too.
But it does save time.
Leigh 02:22 PM 06-17-2018
Originally Posted by Jiminycrickets:
In my state we can do the hybrid ones, where you do most of the class online and then go in for a skills test, but not the purely online type.
Same. I have to use AHA Heartsaver online here, though, because all available skills testers do.
DaveA 04:00 AM 06-18-2018
Double check with your licensing. Some states will take the hybrid courses but not a purely online one. The organization doing your training (AHA/ Red Cross) should have a list online of places that do both full trainings and online skills checkoffs. If they don't call your local hospital. Chances are they are a training center.
284878 04:46 AM 06-18-2018
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
Has anyone done CPR or First Aid online classes? I found a site that goes through all the videos and you get a test and then can print out a card for $30, but not sure if it's acceptable.
Protrainings is approved online course in MI but you still have to do hands on with an instructor.
lovemykidstoo 05:05 AM 06-18-2018
Originally Posted by 284878:
Protrainings is approved online course in MI but you still have to do hands on with an instructor.
I was just looking at that one. Where do you find a hands on instructor though to do a skills test and do you then have to pay twice, once for protrainings and once for the instructor?
284878 05:32 AM 06-18-2018
I was just looking at that one. Where do you find a hands on instructor though to do a skills test and do you then have to pay twice, once for protrainings and once for the instructor?
You call protrainings and tell them you need a hands on instructor, they give names and numbers to their contract instructors. You arrange meeting with the instructor and then pay them too. Depending on the instructor, it could cost more or less money to do this than the way you would normally do it.

If you do the online class, search for a coupon code for protrainings website, I have found a code before.

I have only researched this and have taken the test (passed the test with out taking the class) but I haven't paid. I am due for first aid renewal (due to the new laws) but planning on getting them both done. Just haven't taken the time to complete the process.
melilley 12:57 PM 06-22-2018
I am not sure what area you are in, but there is a woman who will come to your home. I do not know if you are on Facebook or not, but she is on Facebook. She will travel for a group. Usually a provider in an area will host and other providers go there. She does first aid as well and is an awesome instructor!
284878 05:05 PM 06-22-2018
Originally Posted by melilley:
I am not sure what area you are in, but there is a woman who will come to your home. I do not know if you are on Facebook or not, but she is on Facebook. She will travel for a group. Usually a provider in an area will host and other providers go there. She does first aid as well and is an awesome instructor!
I forgot, there are some resource centers that will come to you too. Check with your local ISD to see if they have someone.
lovemykidstoo 06:59 AM 06-23-2018
Thanks everyone! I'm really in a pinch right now because I have to send in my renewal forms and noticed that my CPR card was expired a month ago ugh! So I found a CPR/first aid class at our local hospital for only $20!!! So I go Monday night. The next time though, I'm going to check out these suggestions! thanks!!
284878 06:52 PM 06-23-2018
Thanks everyone! I'm really in a pinch right now because I have to send in my renewal forms and noticed that my CPR card was expired a month ago ugh! So I found a CPR/first aid class at our local hospital for only $20!!! So I go Monday night. The next time though, I'm going to check out these suggestions! thanks!!
Wow only $20. I need to find this deal here. Mine is due too.
Pestle 07:32 PM 06-23-2018
Thanks for the reminder. I just opened another tab and dropped eighty bucks on a five-hour course. Blech!
lovemykidstoo 11:23 AM 06-27-2018
Wow only $20. I need to find this deal here. Mine is due too.
It was great! Went last Monday. It was supposed to go from 6 to 9, but we were done by 8:20. It was infant/child/adult CPR and AED and also First Aid. I just went to the hospital website and found it. Highly recommend!
284878 11:33 PM 06-27-2018
It was great! Went last Monday. It was supposed to go from 6 to 9, but we were done by 8:20. It was infant/child/adult CPR and AED and also First Aid. I just went to the hospital website and found it. Highly recommend!
I just searched my local hospitals, I found one for $20 and one for $30, neither class offered certification.
DaveA 03:59 AM 06-28-2018
$20-$30 is typical for a training center based course. The classes at my TC ( local hospital) are $25 for Heartsaver First Aid including CPR/AED. The local R&R charges $50-60 for the class.

If I do onsite classes or "need it now" 1 on 1 it's $60. Then I do Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid with CPR & AED.
DaveA 04:02 AM 06-28-2018
I just searched my local hospitals, I found one for $20 and one for $30, neither class offered certification.
What class were they offering? Often times the community courses are Friends & Family class which doesn't count as being certified. The AHA course that is the correct one in most jurisdictions is the Heartsaver course. BLS also counts, but that is Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers. It is overkill for what we need.
lovemykidstoo 04:45 AM 06-28-2018
I talked with the instructor and she said she has daycare owners in her classes all the time and the class card works fine for them. It is a friends and family cpr/first aid class. She covered everything the Red Cross one did and the card says AHA on it. She signed, dated and put an expiration date on it. She said for an extra $17, I can get a certified card if that doesn't work she said, but she's never had anyone come back for one. So crossing my fingers lol
daycarediva 11:17 AM 06-28-2018
Originally Posted by DaveA:
$20-$30 is typical for a training center based course. The classes at my TC ( local hospital) are $25 for Heartsaver First Aid including CPR/AED. The local R&R charges $50-60 for the class.

If I do onsite classes or "need it now" 1 on 1 it's $60. Then I do Heartsaver Pediatric First Aid with CPR & AED.
INSANE. I just paid $160 for a group course, well double that since assistant and I both took it. Our state requires Red Cross.
284878 11:37 PM 06-28-2018
I talked with the instructor and she said she has daycare owners in her classes all the time and the class card works fine for them. It is a friends and family cpr/first aid class. She covered everything the Red Cross one did and the card says AHA on it. She signed, dated and put an expiration date on it. She said for an extra $17, I can get a certified card if that doesn't work she said, but she's never had anyone come back for one. So crossing my fingers lol
This is what the website says, I considered calling and asking if it would still work

Infant/Child CPR
This is a great course for parents and grandparents. Includes a discussion and demonstration of infant and child CPR, management of a choking infant or child, rescue breathing and hands-on practice. We follow the American Heart "pediatric chain of survival," including injury prevention tips. Please note that this is not a certification class.

This one was $30, the $20 class was farther away.
284878 11:54 PM 06-28-2018
What class were they offering? Often times the community courses are Friends & Family class which doesn't count as being certified. The AHA course that is the correct one in most jurisdictions is the Heartsaver course. BLS also counts, but that is Basic Life Support for Healthcare Providers. It is overkill for what we need.
I normally go to a host site and take a class from the local Ambulance company but they jumped their price from $50 to $80 (all day class, no kids allowed, currently nursing my newborn) and dh needs to go too.
I checked around every place else cost more. Some classes was separate nights for CPR and first aid.
I looked into the online class that op was asking about and that was the cheapest. Plus I would be able to take my kids to the hands on portion and they said it would be less than an hour.

This is the website says about the class

Infant CPR/First Aid
This life-saving course teaches first aid, child CPR and how to help a chocking infant or child. This class is recommended for parents, family and anyone caring for infants or children.
NOTE: This is NOT a certification class.
Gemma 10:47 AM 07-15-2018
I have done the online classes and they were valid (I'm in MI), but also required a statement from a certified instructor, that an "in person" training was also done. I used AHA

I no longer do the online classes, I found a very good instructor willing to meet me whenever is convenient to me, and for the price RC charges for one lesson, I get everything: infant, child and adult CPR, FA, and BBP
lovemykidstoo 05:40 AM 07-16-2018
I contacted the instructor again because I'm about to send in all of my documents to renew my license. She again said that she gets multiple daycare providers that have not had any issue with the state for the card. If I do find someone in licensing that does not agree, then I can have it certified for $17 more and it will be fine, but she's nearly certain I shouldn't have any problem. I really don't know why they wouldn't accept it since everything they covered in the class was everythign I've learned in other classes.
Baby Beluga 08:35 AM 07-16-2018

Wow, I just renewed my CPR/AED/Child care first aid through heart savers and it was $40 total.
Tags:cpr, first aid, online classes
Reply Up