Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>WWYD? Dog Poop in Yard
kitkat 07:16 AM 06-09-2014
We do not own any pets, so a dog pooping in our yard and the owner not cleaning it up just grosses me out! It has happened twice now within one week. I have not caught the culprit, but have found the poop both times. DH wants to put a sign up. It's in the front yard. We play there, but not really in the area of the poop, but still...yuck! How would you handle the situation? I'm thinking to just clean it up and move on, but the sign is so tempting...why can't people just be responsible I will be done for the summer at the end of this week, so if DH does do a sign,parents probably won't see it.
playground1 07:24 AM 06-09-2014
I once read a story where the guy claimed to have picked up all the poop and put some doggie treats in it, so the dog then eats the poo. (Dogs are gross like that.) The later throw it up all over their owner's house. Revenge.

I'm not saying you should do that, however.
LysesKids 07:24 AM 06-09-2014
I too have no pets and my closest neighbors now know I also have an outdoor security camera lol.. I have a bright yellow sign with a happy face that reads, SMILE, you are on camera. No problems since
Second Home 07:40 AM 06-09-2014
They sell lots of signs that nicely tell people to clean up after their pets .

You can not predict when where your dog will have to go , but you can always be prepared and have bags with you when you take a walk with your dog .

It really bothers me when some people make all dog owners look bad .
Childminder 07:49 AM 06-09-2014
Is the dog on a leash? If not the sign will do little good unless the dog can read.
MarinaVanessa 08:00 AM 06-09-2014
I know this is going to sound weird but when I used to live with my parents there was an issue with neighbors unleashing their dogs who would then poop on everyone's front yards. Very annoying. My dad filled up several empty (and rinsed out) milk gallon jugs with water and put them out around the perimeter of the front lawn about 10 feet apart and I swear, as weird as it sounds, the dogs stopped pooping on the lawn. I don't know why it works and we were all skeptical but a friend of my dad's told him to try it. There's something about the milk jugs filled with water that the dogs don't like. They're not very pretty but I know we chose milk jugs over dog crap.
kitkat 08:27 AM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by Childminder:
Is the dog on a leash? If not the sign will do little good unless the dog can read.
I so needed that laugh this morning!!! Thank you!

I am guessing the dog is leashed because the poop is not far into the yard. The neighbors that have dogs are usually leashed outside.
Second Home 08:30 AM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
There's something about the milk jugs filled with water that the dogs don't like. They're not very pretty but I know we chose milk jugs over dog crap.
Unless they are my 2 dogs , they love milk jugs to play with .
kitkat 08:32 AM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by MV:
I know this is going to sound weird but when I used to live with my parents there was an issue with neighbors unleashing their dogs who would then poop on everyone's front yards. Very annoying. My dad filled up several empty (and rinsed out) milk gallon jugs with water and put them out around the perimeter of the front lawn about 10 feet apart and I swear, as weird as it sounds, the dogs stopped pooping on the lawn. I don't know why it works and we were all skeptical but a friend of my dad's told him to try it. There's something about the milk jugs filled with water that the dogs don't like. They're not very pretty but I know we chose milk jugs over dog crap.
That is very strange sounding, but I will start saving milk jugs. We have a long front yard, so it will take a while to get enough. If the poop keeps happening, I will definitely try the jugs.
sharlan 08:33 AM 06-09-2014
I solved my problem by using a shovel and throwing the poop on the owner's driveway.
Meeko 08:35 AM 06-09-2014
You can get spray that is harmless to dogs and kids, but dogs hate the smell and won't poop there.
MarinaVanessa 08:47 AM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I solved my problem by using a shovel and throwing the poop on the owner's driveway.

I've heard of people putting food or dog treats in the poop that they find on their lawns and then the next time the dogs come back they eat the poop (because dogs are funny that way) and then they go home and throw up I'm assuming hopefully on cement or inside the house. Not sure how this is supposed to stop other people's dogs from pooping on your yard, I mean unless you tell them that you're doing it so they know why they're dog is throwing up, but I guess it's just another way to get revenge .

My mom used to go out and turn the sprinklers on every time she caught a dog in the yard. It was funny, but it didn't make it stop either.
kitkat 08:47 AM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by Meeko:
You can get spray that is harmless to dogs and kids, but dogs hate the smell and won't poop there.
Do you know what it's called? I would be interested in more info!
MarinaVanessa 09:04 AM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by kitkat:
Do you know what it's called? I would be interested in more info!
Just so you know we've tried them and here's something to think about.

1) The big jugs of the dog repellent sprays didn't work for us and we sprayed that stuff all over the yard and specifically kept spraying the perimeter of our yard. The bad thing is that it washes off when you water the lawn so it's better to spray it on the sidewalk and driveway etc.

2) The good stuff is expensive, I've seen it for like $10 for a little bottle about the size of a body spray. You can get the bigger jugs of it for less but you have to spray it more often.

I can't remember the names but I think one is called "Keep Away" or "Keep Off" or something like that. I think Odoban sells a windex size bottle too. I think with these sprays they're more effective for people that have a dog that pees on furniture or poos somewhere inside that you don't want it too so if you use it outside you need to spray more often.
Childminder 11:35 AM 06-09-2014
Try citronella and put drops along the edge of your lawn. You can get it at hardware or camping stores. Bleach would probably work too. We sprayed bleach on the top of our garbage cans to keep the neighbors dog away. Works for raccoons and skunks. Citronella might last longer because it's an oil and the smell doesn't dissipate as quickly as bleach.
Blackcat31 11:48 AM 06-09-2014
How about buying a a cheap video camera and catching the culprit?

Then taking the video footage to him/her and asking them to come clean up your yard. If they refuse, take your evidence to the local law enforcement.

In my community it is illegal to not clean up after your pet.
Cradle2crayons 04:28 PM 06-09-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
How about buying a a cheap video camera and catching the culprit?

Then taking the video footage to him/her and asking them to come clean up your yard. If they refuse, take your evidence to the local law enforcement.

In my community it is illegal to not clean up after your pet.
this is exactly what I would do... I have several of those inexpensive type game cameras you can strap on a tree or post and it cuts in when it senses motion. Mine uses a memory card. I can then put the memory card in my computer and see. Since it only records when it detects motion it can record more than a day or two on one memory card. Works awesome and even at night!!
Reply Up