Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Being The New Daycare In Town
BumbleBee 05:35 PM 08-30-2012
Means all of the people who were turned down by the other daycare's start calling you. It's like they have radar or something. Just this week I've gotten 4 calls-all from people who can't find anywhere else (pretty much nowhere is full around here).

Call #1: 8 month old triplets. In MI you can only have 2 under 18 months with a total of 4 under 2.5 years of age for a family daycare home. I gave her the #'s of 2 group home daycares because they can take more infants at a time.

Call #2: 4 yo & 2yo ft, but only wanted to pay a maximum that equalled 1 ft spot.

Call #3: family wanted overnight care- 8pm-6am.

Call #4: 3 yo. Wanted a lower rate because "child is independent."
countrymom 05:56 PM 08-30-2012
wow, some are kinda of interesting. I'm yet to meet a 3 yr old who can cook for themselves, and do everything for themselves, independent my butt
daycare 05:58 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
wow, some are kinda of interesting. I'm yet to meet a 3 yr old who can cook for themselves, and do everything for themselves, independent my butt
That was funny!!!
SilverSabre25 06:14 PM 08-30-2012
haha! This

Seems like you could conceivably get a variance for triplets...

I would be tempted by the overnight care...bedtime 8:30 wake up at 5:45? :P
DaisyMamma 06:20 PM 08-30-2012
Lol. Why do people think they can negotiate rates?
Independant, thats hilarious!

When I first started I took crappy hours and low pay to get people in the door. That didnt last long. But I had to do what I had to do.

I would personally consider the overnights. And I would look into the triplet variance.

Look at it this way, YOURE GETTING CALLS! Yippee! Soon enough the right call will come through.
BumbleBee 06:48 PM 08-30-2012
I didn't even think of the variance thing, doh! Live & learn I guess.

As for the overnight, from what I understand, I would need to have bed/crib for each child that was to be here overnight. Cots & pack n plays don't pass for overnights. Maybe in the future I'll buck up & buy those 2 things.
BumbleBee 06:49 PM 08-30-2012
Lol! If the child was THAT independant, why not just leave him home by himself!
ritah 06:53 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:

MyAngels 08:27 PM 08-30-2012
Originally Posted by Trummynme:
He's probably independent as in "You're not the boss of me!" independent .
SunnyDay 03:34 AM 08-31-2012
When we first opened we had a lot of people inquiring about early hours (5 or 6am). I know what you mean, it seems like you hear from all of the ones who can't find anyone else.

I think the only way you could do the triplets would be to have an assistant, since the ratio is per caregiver.
countrymom 04:27 AM 08-31-2012
you know whats funny is people will negotiate childcare but won't even bat and eyelash when buying a car. I guess childcare ain't important.
daycare 07:43 AM 08-31-2012
If you are the new kid on the block, is there any way that you could get yourself out into your community and volunteer to get yourself known?

I had to move up state a few years back so I was not only new to the community, I was also a new childcare in town.

I have been volunteering my heart out since I had some yucky clients that left me in the dust.......
BumbleBee 11:25 AM 08-31-2012
Originally Posted by MyAngels:
He's probably independent as in "You're not the boss of me!" independent .
Yup! Or independent as in "we let him do whatever he wants."

Originally Posted by SunnyDay:
When we first opened we had a lot of people inquiring about early hours (5 or 6am). I know what you mean, it seems like you hear from all of the ones who can't find anyone else.

I think the only way you could do the triplets would be to have an assistant, since the ratio is per caregiver.
Yeah, that was my thinking too. I called licensing just to ask. Waiting on a call back.

you know whats funny is people will negotiate childcare but won't even bat and eyelash when buying a car. I guess childcare ain't important.
Person who wanted ft care for 2 kids but only wanted to pay for 1 drove up in a Porsche w/kids in all designer clothing.

Originally Posted by daycare:
If you are the new kid on the block, is there any way that you could get yourself out into your community and volunteer to get yourself known?

I had to move up state a few years back so I was not only new to the community, I was also a new childcare in town.

I have been volunteering my heart out since I had some yucky clients that left me in the dust.......
Good idea! I'll see what kind of volunteering opportunities are around here.
Tags:funny, new to daycare
Reply Up