Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Child Spills Drink EVERY DAY...
thecrazyisout 06:26 PM 05-09-2011
Hi all! It's been a while since i have been on! It has been crazy busy in my home lately and I still have the same amount of children!

So I have a 4.5 yo boy who spills his milk EVERY DAY...it has been every day for the last 2 1/2 weeks. I have tried everything from splitting him from his buddy, to giving him his milk after he eats....I NEED help. I don't want to give him a tippy cup because I think it would defeat the purpose of trying to teach him control over his body. I am now thinking of having him come to the counter and stand with me while he drinks his milk. Is this too strict or does it bring inappropriate attention to the matter? I don't want to humiliate him, but I have done everything buy stand over him while he is drinking it. I don't want to single him out, but I might just have to do this. DCM and DCD say that he has occasionally spilled his drinks at dinner...so they are experiencing it as well!

THANKS IN ADVANCE for all of the advice!
Michael 06:30 PM 05-09-2011
haha, that's how I was when I was a kid. Every day I spilled something. Then one day I got angry about it and made sure every time I picked up a cup I grabbed it tightly. That broke the habit.
mac60 06:39 PM 05-09-2011
I too have a just turned 5 yr old and a just turned 4 yr old, and I started to give them both cups, and they seemed to frequently screw around and spill them, and I finally told them both you are back to sippy cups cuz I am sick of cleaning up the mess. I have enough messes to clean all day long without cleaning up after kids who tend to spill things everyday. They can learn to use a cup at home.
laundrymom 06:41 PM 05-09-2011
I would pour him 2 cups. One would get 1/4 of an inch and I'd refil it 1/4 in at a time from the other cup. Over the next few weeks increase the amount you trust him with.
Symphony 06:52 PM 05-09-2011
I start my kids on "real cups" at 18 months and I give everyone a shot of milk at a time until they can show consistently that they are capable of not spilling. I'll refill over and over, but it is so much better than having to clean up large messes and they seem to spill less when they have less to spill.
youretooloud 07:25 PM 05-09-2011
Who cleans it up when he spills it?

If he's cleaning it up and it still doesn't seem to bother him, I'd keep the cup on the counter and he can get up to take a drink each time.

Or, I'd give him a tiny bit at a time until he learns self control.

It's possible he's having some vision problems too though, maybe it seems like he's reaching for it, but it's really a half inch from where he thinks it is and he's knocking it over.
jojosmommy 07:40 PM 05-09-2011
Originally Posted by Symphony:
I start my kids on "real cups" at 18 months and I give everyone a shot of milk at a time until they can show consistently that they are capable of not spilling. I'll refill over and over, but it is so much better than having to clean up large messes and they seem to spill less when they have less to spill.
I too start early. I would rather clean up an occassional mess than put sippys on cups until Kindergarten. Rarely do we have spills.

I would only put a tiny amount in there and refil refil refil.

How is his other motor control? Could you practice this skill so he learns or do you think he is being careless?
QualiTcare 02:00 AM 05-10-2011
this is NORMAL. some kids do it more than others...just like with everything else.

my theory is that they get comfortable with it. you know when kids first start using cups with no lids they use both hands and concentrate really hard while they drink and stare down into the bottom of the cup? then, when they get older, they start loosening up....and then they think they're experts! they no longer need to use two hands! look! i can do it one handed! i think he/she needs to be reminded - when you're pouring his drink (which is less than the others) USE TWO HANDS! when he/she picks it up with one hand, "use TWO hands!" be careful where you place the drink...place it far away. watch him during the first meal. when he goes to grab it, remind him, "two hands!"
Meyou 03:21 AM 05-10-2011
I would get him to clean up his mess everytime. If it's genuinely an accident then I help help but most of the time I just give them paper towels and supervise.

Only fill the cup 1/2 full at most and then refill if needed.

Keep the cup in the middle of the table or the kitchen counter and he can ask for a drink and then return the cup when he's done.

This works with my spillers. They are just careless and fooling around at the table. Every time they asked for her cup at their place like the other kids I remind them that they were having trouble being careful so we needed to practice that before they get a cup at the table again. I do no cup for about 2 weeks and then let them try again to be careful.

I also remind them regularly to pay attention when drinking and use two hands.
Kaddidle Care 04:14 AM 05-10-2011
Just don't give him a full cup, no more than 2" of liquid. If he drinks it all, then he gets a refill.

Also, make sure he's facing the table. We've got a couple of spillers and they're usually the ones that are nosey and are turned around looking at everything but what's on their plates.

It is amazing how far 2 oz. of milk or juice can spread though.

What also works is first cup is milk or juice. If you spill it you get water for that snack or meal.
Lilbutterflie 06:49 AM 05-10-2011
Originally Posted by thecrazyisout:
Hi all! It's been a while since i have been on! It has been crazy busy in my home lately and I still have the same amount of children!

So I have a 4.5 yo boy who spills his milk EVERY DAY...it has been every day for the last 2 1/2 weeks. I have tried everything from splitting him from his buddy, to giving him his milk after he eats....I NEED help. I don't want to give him a tippy cup because I think it would defeat the purpose of trying to teach him control over his body. I am now thinking of having him come to the counter and stand with me while he drinks his milk. Is this too strict or does it bring inappropriate attention to the matter? I don't want to humiliate him, but I have done everything buy stand over him while he is drinking it. I don't want to single him out, but I might just have to do this. DCM and DCD say that he has occasionally spilled his drinks at dinner...so they are experiencing it as well!

THANKS IN ADVANCE for all of the advice!
I've said it before and I'll say it again b/c I TRULY believe it. Is this 4.5 yo in a current growth spurt or did he just finish one? I'd be willing to put money on the fact that he has recently grown. I've only been doing daycare for 2 years and it hasn't taken me long to start associating children's growth spurts with sudden clumsiness; especially spilling their cups!! What happens is when their limbs suddenly grow; it takes their brain a few weeks or even a couple months to recognize the new length of their legs and arms! So their brain is actually telling them that their hand or arm is going to clear the cup, but it doesn't. Also expect more clumsiness around the house and outside... more stubbed toes, skinned knees, etc...

I give them a cup with a lid when I realize they are starting to spill every day. You can buy the Take N Toss with lids and straws which work well. Or a sport sipper will work too. And if they do spill, I give them a towel and have them clean it up. Then when a month or so has passed, I'll give them a cup again and just remind them often to try not to spill and be careful.
Tags:spill
Reply Up