Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Is There Too Much Daytime Sleep When It Comes To Infants?
AfterSchoolMom 09:20 AM 01-06-2012
For infants under 5 months, how much napping is too much napping?

I've got one VERY sleepy little one here... Parents say they sleep all night too. Right now they're doing two 2.5 hour naps and they're ready to sleep again about a half hour before pickup. So that's 5.5 hours of sleep during a 9 hour day. Is that normal? I haven't had an infant that actually wanted to sleep in a long time.

The funny thing is, in the beginning I was told that this child is a "cat napper"... I haven't seen any signs of that here!
Ariana 09:25 AM 01-06-2012
16-18 hours in a 24 hr period is pretty typical! Sounds like they're good sleepers so count yourself lucky
cheerfuldom 09:30 AM 01-06-2012
If the parents are already contradicting themselves (saying baby is a great sleeper but also a cat napper?) then you can't trust for sure to know what is going on at home. Baby might be catching up on sleep at your house. I wouldn't worry about a thing for now.
awestbrook713 09:32 AM 01-06-2012
I have a 3 month old like this. He sleeps alot, and can wake up from a lengthy nap get fed, changed, and fall right back to sleep. Parents say he sleeps through the night too. Every baby is different, plus you have to figure they go through a lot of growing in the first year.
Meyou 02:18 PM 01-06-2012
I have a six month old here who is doing 2x2.5-3 hour naps per day.
kathiemarie 03:16 PM 01-06-2012
Count your blessings! I have a 5 month old that will not sleep. Maybe 30 min 2x a day. To answer your question. No it's not to much sleep.
daycare 03:18 PM 01-06-2012
OMG I wish I were you!!!!! lol

My oldest took four hours naps until he was 5 and slept through the night from 7:30 to 7:30.....to each their own I say...

My youngest who is four, does not nap and still does not sleep through the night. Its my pay back.....lol
My Daycare 03:51 PM 01-06-2012
It's great for you.

I think as long as they are eating enough and not sleeping too much due to lack of energy from food, then it's fine.

Is this a baby that just started? All of mine sleep lots & lots when they first start. High stress for them being in a new environment and all. It wears them out.

I hope the baby keeps napping well for you.
juliebug 04:29 PM 01-06-2012
count yourself lucky!
i have one that sleeps most the day maybe up 2 or max 3 hours while she is at my house but she is a doll!
AfterSchoolMom 05:01 PM 01-06-2012
Oh believe me, I'm not knocking it! Just about every baby that I've ever had here before has been a terrible sleeper. I remember one that never slept more than fifteen minutes at a time - they lasted about two weeks! I had finally gotten the last one in a good groove when they decided to leave.

This is the first time that an infant has started with me and been a great napper from day one. Actually, both are great nappers. I hope it continues! Now, if I can only get them to nap greatly at the same time....
twiddle 06:08 PM 01-06-2012
Originally Posted by Meyou:
I have a six month old here who is doing 2x2.5-3 hour naps per day.
Lucky!!!! All my babies are so loud, if one is awake, they're all awake. A nap longer than 1.5 hours is a good nap in my classroom.
Tags:napping routine, sleeping - too long
Reply Up