Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>"I Died"
Brooksie 05:53 AM 11-20-2013
All of a sudden these girls are obsessed with "I died" or "I'm taking my baby to the hospital because she died." Its driving me crazy. lol I don't like the morbid speak at such a young age. I've been trying to suggest other things for them to pretend, like just being sick instead but they want to be "dead." I just told one of the girls that I didn't want to hear it again. Does this bother any one else?
Familycare71 06:00 AM 11-20-2013
I have always had that mostly with boys: I killed him, etc... My rule is you can say you knocked him out, you put him in jail, but not killed.
Maybe in your case she could say my doll is sick, my doll is hurt, etc...

Death is something tho that they test- sounds like this is what she is doing. Such an abstract idea to such little minds
melilley 06:14 AM 11-20-2013
I learned once in a chdv class that kids, even littles, may be curious about death and that it's a part of life and may be talked about and/or roll played and it's normal.

But I'm not sure if I would like it if the kids were playing that someone was dead, even though it is a part of life, but I haven't had this happen yet so I'm not sure if I would stop it or not. I do like the idea of saying "sick" instead.

I definitely would not let them say anything about being killed or killing someone, but it doesn't sound like that's what your dck's are doing.
itlw8 07:14 AM 11-20-2013
I never let the kids play dead games BUT this year I have a child that grandma died one her Mom died and now another grandma died. They seem to need to play these games. So we talk about how it makes us sad to not have them with us anymore.... But I still do not allow killing and when we go to the hospital the person usually lives less and less dead so I guess they are working it out.
Laurel 08:56 AM 11-20-2013
Originally Posted by Brooksie:
All of a sudden these girls are obsessed with "I died" or "I'm taking my baby to the hospital because she died." Its driving me crazy. lol I don't like the morbid speak at such a young age. I've been trying to suggest other things for them to pretend, like just being sick instead but they want to be "dead." I just told one of the girls that I didn't want to hear it again. Does this bother any one else?
I couldn't help but wonder how you could post if you died!

Laurel
CedarCreek 11:19 AM 11-20-2013
MY ds is on this right now and its driving me NUTS. I just keep correcting him an hoping it goes away soon..
Childminder 11:43 AM 11-20-2013
It goes in cycles, obsessed with death and then giving birth. I have a new boy that just started and I warned his dad that the girls were giving birth so not to freak out if he starts talking about it. Had one girl give birth to quints yesterday, that is all she could stuff under her dress.
Meeko 08:03 PM 11-20-2013
It bothers me too and funnily enough we had to get tough with four of the kids today as they KEPT playing "dying" or "dead".

I can only assume it's due to the fact that they see death every single day on the TV.
MissAnn 04:28 AM 11-21-2013
My kids play dead all the time. I just think they are trying it figure out life. They don't kill and shoot.....they just lay on the ground and stick their tongues out. I really don't worry about it. This is what much of dramatic play is about.....figuring out life.
Cradle2crayons 05:22 AM 11-21-2013
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
My kids play dead all the time. I just think they are trying it figure out life. They don't kill and shoot.....they just lay on the ground and stick their tongues out. I really don't worry about it. This is what much of dramatic play is about.....figuring out life.
I allow he dying but not the killing part.

Dying is a part if life and it's normal for kids to attempt to work all that out. As long as it's not some sort of constant obsession I consider it perfectly normal just like life.
Tags:death
Reply Up