Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Kid Confessions....
Unregistered 05:10 PM 12-12-2013
So here is the situation. Today one of our dcb broke a toy. The other 2 year old boy followed arou nd the one who broke the toy and some come here your gonna get spankings. We told the 2nd boy that it was not that big of a deal the toy could be put back together and that we dont give spankings here. That is when older brother said" he alwayd says that home to me when i get introuble" when asked about spankings he said dad did it with a belt ... i am not licenced and i am not sure if i should report or ask mom or do both.
Unregistered 05:27 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
So here is the situation. Today one of our dcb broke a toy. The other 2 year old boy followed arou nd the one who broke the toy and some come here your gonna get spankings. We told the 2nd boy that it was not that big of a deal the toy could be put back together and that we dont give spankings here. That is when older brother said" he alwayd says that home to me when i get introuble" when asked about spankings he said dad did it with a belt ... i am not licenced and i am not sure if i should report or ask mom or do both.
When I was a child if I did something extreme I would get spanked with a belt. It only happened a few times...I turned out to be a successful rounded adult...

IMO there is nothing wrong with spanking your OWN children, NOT daycare children!!! Have you seen marks from the belt on the children? Any marks that last longer than 24 hours is considered abuse here. Have you seen other signs? If not I do not see a reason to report just on that. Talk to the parents and see what they say. If you get a bad vibe from the parents during the conversation then I may possibly report it depending on the reactions.
Unregistered 05:38 PM 12-12-2013
I did as a child too but it caused a lot of problems for the parent who did it while the divorce happened.

I havent seen any on the older boy the 2 year old has had bruises but on his shines and knees but that i always looked at as playing rough with brother or bumping into stuff typical boy toddler stuff. But not belt.

I am just going to ask mom about it on monday and see how she acts

When I was a child if I did something extreme I would get spanked with a belt. It only happened a few times...I turned out to be a successful rounded adult...

IMO there is nothing wrong with spanking your OWN children, NOT daycare children!!! Have you seen marks from the belt on the children? Any marks that last longer than 24 hours is considered abuse here. Have you seen other signs? If not I do not see a reason to report just on that. Talk to the parents and see what they say. If you get a bad vibe from the parents during the conversation then I may possibly report it depending on the reactions.

JoseyJo 06:42 PM 12-12-2013
Why do you think you should call CPS? Do you suspect abuse or are you just against spanking? Is it against the law to spank in your state?
MNMommy2 07:55 PM 12-12-2013
Aw. Spanking a 2 yo with a belt. So sad. Anger management, anyone? I was spanked with a belt once by my stepdad early in our relationship. My mom reamed him and it never happened again. It took me a LONG time to forgive him. I was afraid of him for a long time, too. SO many better ways to go about things.

And the most my kids ever got was one little swat on the bottom. NEVER ever more than once and NEVER EVER with an object other than my flat hand. I can count how many times that happened on one hand.
JoseyJo 07:58 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by MNMommy2:
Aw. Spanking a 2 yo with a belt. So sad. Anger management, anyone? I was spanked with a belt once by my stepdad early in our relationship. My mom reamed him and it never happened again. It took me a LONG time to forgive him. I was afraid of him for a long time, too. SO many better ways to go about things.

And the most my kids ever got was one little swat on the bottom. NEVER ever more than once and NEVER EVER with an object other than my flat hand. I can count how many times that happened on one hand.
I wasn't reading the original post that the 2 yo was being spanked but that it was his older brother.. Maybe I'm reading it wrong?
Familycare71 08:48 PM 12-12-2013
Originally Posted by MNMommy2:

I'm not trying to get into it but certain people believe spanking with an object (spoon, belt, etc...) is preferable to hitting with their hands which are saved for loving touch (hugs, high fives, etc...)
I'm not even going to go into what I believe BUT unless you feel the child is abused parents have the right to spank their child. That said if you question it call ... They will tell you if it is reportable. Just don't call based on your parenting beliefs- call because you feel the children may be in harms way.
Kelly 06:43 AM 12-13-2013
A swat with your hand is spanking. Hitting a child with a belt or any other object is abuse. Actually although I did spank my own kids sometimes (and now wish more than anything that I hadn't) I now believe even spanking is abusive. If I hit another adult I could be arrested so why is it considered ok to hit a child?
JoseyJo 07:00 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Kelly:
A swat with your hand is spanking. Hitting a child with a belt or any other object is abuse. Actually although I did spank my own kids sometimes (and now wish more than anything that I hadn't) I now believe even spanking is abusive. If I hit another adult I could be arrested so why is it considered ok to hit a child?
Semantics- Abuse is what CPS defines as abuse if you are talking about turning them in to CPS. If CPS says spanking is not abuse unless it leaves a mark for over 24 hours in the OPs state then that is her answer.

Of course if you suspect abuse you should make the call to CPS, but as a parent who has had CPS called on an unfounded case (my 3 mo infant not wearing shoes, only socks on a Fall day in the stroller- she had blankets covering her but had kicked a foot out of the blanket and I had stopped to recover her- if the caller would have bothered to stop and ask my daughter had a foot deformity preventing shoes-and she had a footed suit under the socks) calling CPS is not something to take lightly.
DaisyMamma 08:05 AM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Kelly:

Great Beginnings 09:09 AM 12-13-2013
I personally feel it's the families decision on how they handle discipline. If they feel the child needed a spanking and choose to use a belt, as long as it's not leaving marks then most states consider that parents choice. What we as parents define as abuse is one thing. What that state defines as abuse is very different.

If you really suspect abuse it's one thing, absolutely call CPS. But if you call CPS because of your own opinions or personal values you could cause more harm to that family.
MotherNature 10:41 AM 12-13-2013
I think the whole 'not leaving marks' thing is ridiculous to implement as a state standard. There are plenty of things you can beat someone with that can cause serious internal bruising & bleeding but won't leave an external mark. ( Though will if hard enough for an extended time.. The old military blanket party -soap in a sock-comes to mind. ) I don't believe in spanking either though... for any reason. If you were to do that to an adult, it's assault, so why hit a defenseless child?
Unregistered 12:46 PM 12-13-2013
Brother (5) said they both get spankings with the belt. I am not against spanking really but I don't think it should be done with an object. These are the two best boys in my care and I don't want to get involved in their parents style of parenting but now I am worried about them. I am just going to keep a watchful eye on them now.
JoseyJo 12:55 PM 12-13-2013
Brother (5) said they both get spankings with the belt. I am not against spanking really but I don't think it should be done with an object. These are the two best boys in my care and I don't want to get involved in their parents style of parenting but now I am worried about them. I am just going to keep a watchful eye on them now.
Hmmm
Cradle2crayons 02:48 PM 12-13-2013
Originally Posted by Great Beginnings:
I personally feel it's the families decision on how they handle discipline. If they feel the child needed a spanking and choose to use a belt, as long as it's not leaving marks then most states consider that parents choice. What we as parents define as abuse is one thing. What that state defines as abuse is very different.

If you really suspect abuse it's one thing, absolutely call CPS. But if you call CPS because of your own opinions or personal values you could cause more harm to that family.
I'm a parent that has spanked my kids on occasion. Not daycare kids but my own kids. It's my legal right here.

Unless you have noticed marks, I would stay out of it. I assume you haven't though since you are going by a verbal signal instead of any other information such as physical or emotional evidence.

Yu don't have to agree or disagree but unless it's illegal in your state to spank, it's really nobody's business.
Reply Up