Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 03-04-2016, 06:38 AM

Default Lost Sticker = Meltdown

Dcg3 came in wearing a sticker she earned for staying in her bed all night. It's already lost and she's now having a meltdown. I am so afraid of this happening daily. Do you think it would be ok to tell mom no stickers at my house? Should I wait it out to see if it starts becoming a problem? I don't want to seem mean, but this meltdown is coming to the point of being ridiculous. I understand being sad about losing a sticker you earn, but this is going on 15 minutes of wailing.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:51 AM
Unregistered

Any toddlers or infants in care? I would use the potential chocking hazard as a reason not to have stickers worn in the general daycare area.

Perhaps a sticker book to fill at home would be best.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:53 AM

No, she's the youngest.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

When I get something brought from home, as soon as the parent leaves I put it on the shelf and give it back when they leave. If I do it in front of the parent the child melts. If I do it after, it's not a problem at all. If the child still throws a fit, then tell mom that it can't come there anymore and simply for the reason you said. It gets lost and she melts down
Old 03-04-2016, 07:08 AM
Daycare.com Member

I would ask mom that they don't come to daycare. It would fall under my "nothing brought from home" rule. Mom could give her a paper to stick them on at home. Or even a piece of poster board. Staying in bed at home is a home issue and shouldn't be brought to daycare.
Old 03-04-2016, 07:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thriftylady View Post
Staying in bed at home is a home issue and shouldn't be brought to daycare.
I keep reminding myself that this is a home problem and not MY problem. Thanks so much for saying that!

Thanks everyone! I think I just needed some reassurance that I wasn't being a meanie by saying no stickers here.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:35 AM
Daycare.com Member

I'd probably do the same thing but approach it using the melt-down issue and making the suggestion of the chart at home instead of saying no stickers. But that's just me.

We use stickers here a lot, just to make pictures and I do allow things from home as long as it doesn't cause issues. If there are issues, up it goes. Hence the reason for my approach.
Old 03-04-2016, 09:37 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Tell mom to get a little notebook or piece of paper and start putting the stickers on it. She can bring the paper but it stays in her cubby.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:03 AM

I wouldn't allow the sticker from home to come to daycare.

I use stickers here too but this isn't the same thing.

I view this issue the same way I would if the child brought a toy from home.
Old 03-04-2016, 10:14 AM

I told dcm about the meltdown and no more stickers. She felt bad (genuinely) and brought up a sticker book for home on her own. Thanks again everyone!

Tags
brought from home, meltdown, tantrum