Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Baffled
Magic 07:02 AM 08-15-2016
Baffled

had a very long interview..too long
with 19 month old
in the whole time here mom had to shadow the child
the child kept grabbing at other little ones faces
first few mins here went straight for a little ones eye and the behaviour continued to an alarming rate
the thing is NO TRIGGERS not one
it was if the child was curious
mom admitted the whole time he will do this and bite and pinch ex
needless to say not a good fit for my other little ones
and this one would have to get all my attention and be glugged to me
we have lots of animals and they would be at risk too
so the question is
no triggers ...no expression on child's face as doing it ..just does it
an idea of Why ?
Rockgirl 07:22 AM 08-15-2016
I wouldn't even worry about the 'why'.....I just wouldn't accept them.
Play Care 07:25 AM 08-15-2016
Has he been home with mom the whole time? Is this her first child? I actually see this as pretty common. He's not doing it to be mean, in all likelihood, he has no idea how to interact with other kids, or that he's hurting them or that he's not supposed to have hands on others. And mom, who probably doesn't know any better at this point, hasn't dealt with it as firmly as she should. I would pass if I had a lot of little ones, but if I had all toddlers and up I think I would take on the challenge.
KiwiKids 07:32 AM 08-15-2016
I bet he has tried those behaviors on mom and she didn't correct him. I see this with first born little ones who haven't had a lot of social interaction with their peers or when the parents are a bit permissive about correcting behavior. The child simply doesn't know any better because no one has helped him learn. I wouldn't have taken him either though unless parents were on board to work on the behavior. I've had too many parents in recent years who don't allow their child a moment of tears or frustration. I don't have it in me to deal with that anymore. ( wow I sound grumpy today! )
spedmommy4 07:43 AM 08-15-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
Has he been home with mom the whole time? Is this her first child? I actually see this as pretty common. He's not doing it to be mean, in all likelihood, he has no idea how to interact with other kids, or that he's hurting them or that he's not supposed to have hands on others. And mom, who probably doesn't know any better at this point, hasn't dealt with it as firmly as she should. I would pass if I had a lot of little ones, but if I had all toddlers and up I think I would take on the challenge.
I agree. The little one probably just did not know how to positively interact with others.
Magic 07:49 AM 08-15-2016
thank you
now I do have had some info on this child for this child had been in friends day care for month and half
she has done all she could and no change ( think she lost an other child due to this ) and she has older children
think she is now bringing out play pen to separate the child from others ...she can not leave child for a sec
and child was looked after by other friend with children
so has been socialized lots
I have young ones and a one year old coming in Nov
so my children and family pets can not get out of the way
I would love to help but I do know that this child would get all my attention and that would not be fair to my other children ...
Play Care 08:57 AM 08-15-2016
In that case, nope!

Neeeeeext!
KiwiKids 11:25 AM 08-15-2016
Originally Posted by Play Care:
In that case, nope!

Neeeeeext!
Same here! Nope!
Reply Up