Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Mandatory reporting
Unregistered 01:21 PM 08-17-2016
Hi guys. I'm unregistered but come here often.

My question today is this: as mandatory reporters do we get anonymity?

I had a new family start last week. Mom actually works as a therapist so the fact that I'm considering reporting them is sorta shocking to me.

First day each kid was very dirty. The littlest ones hair is so matted he is developing dreadlocks. I asked, jokingly if this was what they wanted and mom says that it just gets that way sometimes. Both children are in clothes that don't fit and both are shoeless (mom states that she left them at home). I should have told her to go home and get them, but it was her first day, so I let it slide. As soon as mom leaves I notice the smell. Sure enough the younger one has a dirty diaper. I change it and it's obvious that this child has sat in it for a while.

Then I still smell something and that's when I notice the older boy scratching his bottom so I ask if he had an accident. He tells me he did while sleeping during the night. Grrrr!!! I clean him and it's stuck so badly to his bum it took a few water soaked wash cloths to get it all off Poor kid. His butt was bright red and he was walking funny. I mention this when his father picks up. Instead of asking how his son is he berates him in front of all of us and says that the little one must have pooped when they we driving to my home. Nope. They live in a neighborhood a few minutes from my place.

Flash forward to today.
Same issues. Mom didn't bring shoes for the younger one again. Older one is so dirty and comes in carrying his shoes (no socks). His feet are almost black from the dirt. Okay I get it. Kids get dirty. But this is beyond a bit of dirt. this is days worth of dirt. Mom leaves and I immediately wash the older ones feet. I was grossed out thinking he'd be walking around my house with those feet. As I was cleaning them I notice he has a huge owie on his foot. He tells me he stepped on a nail while playing outside. I asked if mommy was around and he said no she was asleep.

The younger one smells so bad and his clothes are so soiled I decide to change his clothes (I had to go digging in my lost and found for extra clothes) and wash them. I also gave him a sponge bath because he stinks. Even after the sponge bath this poor child still smells. The other kids keep complaining about the "smell. "

The younger one now has more matting in his hair. It honestly doesn't look like the mom even tried to comb the previous matting.

Both at least had clean bottoms this morning, but this other stuff makes me think there is a bit of neglect going on. They only come one day a week, so it's hard to really say what things are like most days. I know dad is working constantly and mostly not home. Maybe the mom is too overwhelmed?

I'm thinking I should report, but am terrified about the repercussions from the family. Will they know it was me? What would you do?
Leigh 01:30 PM 08-17-2016
I do think that it warrants a report. A child who stepped on a nail should have had a tetanus shot. The children being SO dirty and with matted hair for multiple days, sent in dirty clothing, etc...it does sound like neglect. Criminal neglect? I don't know. That's for the investigators to decide. Personally, I'd invite CPS to my home to have a look for themselves while the kids were here and let them take it from there. If the parents ask, I could truthfully say that a caseworker who was visiting noticed the situation.
nannyde 02:06 PM 08-17-2016
Please read the chapter "Pig Pen's Parents" in my book. It will tell you exactly what to do.
Daycare Insurance 02:10 PM 08-17-2016
I know it is scary to report things thinking of the repercussions. However, as a mandated reporter, you can actually get into more trouble for not reporting. If you do report, they are not supposed to let the mother know who made the report. We've seen licenses taken away for providers not reporting suspected abuse. Most states take it pretty seriously.
Also, it is often the parents who have neglect or abuse going on at home who end up making false claims against providers when something happens to their child. You're better off reporting.
Reply Up