Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Napping!
tenderhearts 04:18 PM 08-17-2016
I normally do not have any issues with nap time, however, I have a just turned 2 yr old boy who from birth has been a little challenging in this department. Over the last 6 or 7 months, he finally has been consistant. My issue is, he goes down great, he lays there very nicely and quietly until he falls asleep, the problem is when he wakes up. He gets up and goes to the door and bangs on it which wakes up the others and my other nappers sleep much longer.

How do others teach them to lay there until I come in, which I check on them often so it's not like he would lay there long but I just can't have him waking up the others. He has been pooping early which is interrupting his nap as well this week so therefor putting that together with him getting up and waking the others it's shortening their nap even more.
Blackcat31 06:27 PM 08-17-2016
Originally Posted by tenderhearts:
I normally do not have any issues with nap time, however, I have a just turned 2 yr old boy who from birth has been a little challenging in this department. Over the last 6 or 7 months, he finally has been consistant. My issue is, he goes down great, he lays there very nicely and quietly until he falls asleep, the problem is when he wakes up. He gets up and goes to the door and bangs on it which wakes up the others and my other nappers sleep much longer.

How do others teach them to lay there until I come in, which I check on them often so it's not like he would lay there long but I just can't have him waking up the others. He has been pooping early which is interrupting his nap as well this week so therefor putting that together with him getting up and waking the others it's shortening their nap even more.
I would just put him back in bed every time and just say something about waiting until you come for him. Rinse and repeat.

Ive taught my littles to wait and not get off their mats even if awake by placing them back onto their beds and firmly but kindly saying "Wait! Miss BC will invite you when it's your turn" and inviting another child to get up and give me their bedding. We take turns every day doing tne same thing.

They pick up the routine really quickly. I have a 14 month old that sits patiently waiting her turn. When I call her name she gets excited and loves handing me each part of her bedding.

I nap kids in same room as others and the older kids just lead by example.
Its worked great for me for several years.
Indoorvoice 06:07 AM 08-18-2016
I do the same as BC. Even if they wake up just 5 minutes early, I have them lay back down and wait until I excuse them.
Reply Up