Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-29-2019, 10:08 AM
Daycaremomma01's Avatar
Daycaremomma01 Daycaremomma01 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 24
Default Naps?

My kiddos nap from 1-3pm.
Lately I have been having issues with one child (she will be 2 in a couple months).
At nap time, she does anything she can to keep from sleeping - kicks around, scratches and jumps in the pack and play (making the most awful amount of noise) yells and laughs and screams/squeals.
She does this the WHOLE 2 hours. Of my 4 other kids, this doesn’t phase 2 of them (4 & 3) - they have no issue falling asleep and sleeping through her noise. My other two (2 & almost 2) can’t fall asleep most of the time, and when they do, she manages to wake them up (even at the other end of my house - these two lighter sleepers are my daughter and nephew, so she sleeps in her bed, and he sleeps in my sons room) They are super cranky and whiny when they don’t get good naps.

I am currently sitting in the floor next to this child (she’s in the PnP) because if I move away for even a second she’s right back to making noise.

Here’s the kicker - as soon as everyone else is awake and has been changed and to the potty, we have afternoon snack and she will fall asleep at the table!

Help?!
Suggestions? Tips? Advice?

Note: I can’t really alter nap time because I have 3 kids who get off the bus around 3:30.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-29-2019, 04:31 PM
jenboo's Avatar
jenboo jenboo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Planet earth
Posts: 3,118
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daycaremomma01 View Post
My kiddos nap from 1-3pm.
Lately I have been having issues with one child (she will be 2 in a couple months).
At nap time, she does anything she can to keep from sleeping - kicks around, scratches and jumps in the pack and play (making the most awful amount of noise) yells and laughs and screams/squeals.
She does this the WHOLE 2 hours. Of my 4 other kids, this doesn’t phase 2 of them (4 & 3) - they have no issue falling asleep and sleeping through her noise. My other two (2 & almost 2) can’t fall asleep most of the time, and when they do, she manages to wake them up (even at the other end of my house - these two lighter sleepers are my daughter and nephew, so she sleeps in her bed, and he sleeps in my sons room) They are super cranky and whiny when they don’t get good naps.

I am currently sitting in the floor next to this child (she’s in the PnP) because if I move away for even a second she’s right back to making noise.

Here’s the kicker - as soon as everyone else is awake and has been changed and to the potty, we have afternoon snack and she will fall asleep at the table!

Help?!
Suggestions? Tips? Advice?

Note: I can’t really alter nap time because I have 3 kids who get off the bus around 3:30.
Can you put her on a cot/mat and pat her to sleep? It takes some time commitment to front but I find kids tend to nap better this way.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-29-2019, 05:26 PM
littlefriends's Avatar
littlefriends littlefriends is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 267
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenboo View Post
Can you put her on a cot/mat and pat her to sleep? It takes some time commitment to front but I find kids tend to nap better this way.
This is what I do with my tough napper. I put her mat off a bit from the others and sit next to her. Lay her on her tummy and pat her booty until she’s out. At first it took forever but now it’s no more than 10-15 min.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-29-2019, 06:32 PM
hwichlaz's Avatar
hwichlaz hwichlaz is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California
Posts: 2,039
Default

she's too old for a pnp. PUt her on a mat, sit next to her with your hand on her and read a novel. Everytime she sits up, lay her back down. No talking, no eye contact.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-29-2019, 08:05 PM
Daycaremomma01's Avatar
Daycaremomma01 Daycaremomma01 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 24
Default

We’ve tried a mat/patting - I spent the whole nap time chasing her down and putting her back on the mat.
She’s a very defiant child - “no” is a game to her - tell her no, stop, shhhh and she looks at you like “what are you going to do about it” and continues.

I’ll have to try keeping my hand on her until she’s asleep and see if that helps at all.

Also...in this situation, today, for example - she finally went to sleep around 2:45ish - just as the others were starting to get restless and easing awake - would you let her continue to sleep or wake her?
She’s a heavy sleeper - it’s HARD to wake her. Generally I’m against waking a sleeping child when unnecessary, but I feel like she needs to wake with everyone else - you chose not to sleep during nap time, so you only get a short nap...?
Even if she’s woken, she’s a very bubbly giggly child - she doesn’t wake up upset or grumpy, hardly ever (for her, being grumpy at all is a red flag that she’s not feeling well.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-30-2019, 04:51 AM
littlefriends's Avatar
littlefriends littlefriends is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 267
Default

Wake her! Only infants sleep when they want to at my house. Once they’re out of the pnp then they nap during nap time. Once nap is over everyone is up and it’s snack time.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-30-2019, 05:25 AM
lovemykidstoo's Avatar
lovemykidstoo lovemykidstoo is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: U.S.
Posts: 4,661
Default

Is it possible to put her down 30 minutes before the other kids? If she is a heavy sleeper, then maybe she would be asleep when you put the others down?
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-30-2019, 06:06 AM
Daycaremomma01's Avatar
Daycaremomma01 Daycaremomma01 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo View Post
Is it possible to put her down 30 minutes before the other kids? If she is a heavy sleeper, then maybe she would be asleep when you put the others down?
She’s usually the first one I put down, we do lunch and then about 15-20 mins of nap prep (wiping them off, diaper changes & potty breaks) and she’s the kid who eats a few bites and then plays with her food, if I let her sit at the table til everyone’s done she just gets them all riled up, so I usually have her laid down earlier, and if I don’t put her in the PnP she’s all over the place, and when I put her in the PnP she jumps around and just makes as much noise as she can until I can sit there and shhhs her every couple seconds.
I’ve been keeping her....8 weeks this week, and haven’t had a whole lot of issue with it until last week other than she won’t stay on a mat.
I’m wondering if maybe dcm is getting her in bed earlier or letting her sleep a little later or something.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-30-2019, 06:22 AM
284878's Avatar
284878 284878 is online now
Day Care Owner
 
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 1,585
Default

I've heard of some providers using a cot/ mat or with a play yard around it. That way if she gets up and runs she can't leave the Playard.
Is there any way you can separate her nap space from everybody else?

Before a family starts I have the family do in about me for each child. My about me contains bedtime and wake-up time. Than I know if the child is getting enough sleep or not. Being overly tired can cause a child to be restless at next time just as much as being Wide Awake. A child that refuses to eat can also be due to exhaustion.

I've heard of another provider that moved nap time to before lunch. She said it made a huge difference and how the children behaved for the day. She would do breakfast play a.m. snack nap lunch play and go home.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-30-2019, 06:31 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,909
Default

Rest time is an important part of the day.

If after 8 weeks this child has made no improvement, there is no way I'd be willing to keep her in care.

I can't let one defiant 2 yr old disrupt the other kids that do listen and behave. It's simply not fair to everyone else.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-30-2019, 07:14 AM
Ariana's Avatar
Ariana Ariana is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 8,641
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Rest time is an important part of the day.

If after 8 weeks this child has made no improvement, there is no way I'd be willing to keep her in care.

I can't let one defiant 2 yr old disrupt the other kids that do listen and behave. It's simply not fair to everyone else.
Agreed! This child is clearly tired. Try the cot/mat with hand on her back and lay her down as many times as you need. If there is no improvement in 3 days terminate care.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 04-30-2019, 07:27 AM
Daycaremomma01's Avatar
Daycaremomma01 Daycaremomma01 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by 284878 View Post
I've heard of some providers using a cot/ mat or with a play yard around it. That way if she gets up and runs she can't leave the Playard.
Is there any way you can separate her nap space from everybody else?

Before a family starts I have the family do in about me for each child. My about me contains bedtime and wake-up time. Than I know if the child is getting enough sleep or not. Being overly tired can cause a child to be restless at next time just as much as being Wide Awake. A child that refuses to eat can also be due to exhaustion.

I've heard of another provider that moved nap time to before lunch. She said it made a huge difference and how the children behaved for the day. She would do breakfast play a.m. snack nap lunch play and go home.

I’ve tried the play yard... I have hardwood floors, so it just slides, even with “anti-slide” sticky things on it. It only slowed her down momentarily.

I’m going to try naps before lunch today. And see how that goes.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 04-30-2019, 07:55 AM
Daycaremomma01's Avatar
Daycaremomma01 Daycaremomma01 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2019
Posts: 24
Default

UPDATE: by the time I got everyone changed and to the potty it was about 10:40. Laid DCG on a mat in the floor next to me, I patted her back and she was OUT in less than 5 mins.

I think I may need to change up our routine a bit and start naps around 10:30-11ish. I feel like maybe she’s just been overly tired. Her older brother informed me also that she is put to bed with a bottle at home for nights and naps...so maybe that’s what she’s been wanting/waiting on from me as well. (Not happening here though, she’ll have to get used to not having one for naps when she’s here)

But she did awesome today!
Thanks for the input!
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
nap - fights it, terminate - bad fit, won't sleep

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Child Under Two Outgrowing Naps? Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 18 04-02-2018 02:29 PM
17 Month Old Still Struggling With Naps Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 01-18-2018 11:19 AM
11 Month Still Struggling With Naps 😞 Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 14 07-26-2017 04:49 PM
8 Month Old Weaning Off Naps?! Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 04-21-2017 10:01 AM
Can't Settle Down For Naps Country Kids Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 12 12-12-2012 05:31 AM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 08:48 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming