Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>A Slow Child
blueclouds29 12:38 PM 02-25-2011
I have a DCB that's 15 months old,(I've only had for 3 month) can't seem to follow simple commands or directions. Such as 'get the ball' or 'go get your sippy cup, its right there on the floor'. Today we were reading books that had simple commands such as 'pat your head' 'touch your nose' or 'touch your toes'. He just looks at you with a blank stare.
Should i be concerned?
LOL
KEG123 12:45 PM 02-25-2011
Honestly, at 15 months, I wouldn't be too concerned. Seems awfully harsh of you to imply that he is clueless, or that his parents don't spend time with him.
blueclouds29 12:56 PM 02-25-2011
ok, now i feel really bad for putting this up. But i'm concerned.
daycare 12:57 PM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
ok, now i feel really bad for putting this up. But i'm concerned.
its a valid concern becuase it shows you care...
my niece is 3.5 and she cant do any of those things, mostly becuase she is shy
blueclouds29 01:03 PM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by KEG123:
Honestly, at 15 months, I wouldn't be too concerned. Seems awfully harsh of you to imply that he is clueless, or that his parents don't spend time with him.
Your right, i should not have said that and deleted it out! I'm just concerned for the guy! But with him being with me, will help him. I've already heard him say 3 word since he's been with me. So that's good :-)
cillybean83 01:18 PM 02-25-2011
my son is 14 months, and i spend all day with him, and he couldn't do some of those things and his dr. says he's way advanced for his age..I think sometimes we forget that these babies are just that...BABIES or toddlers, or whatever you want to call them, but we expect them to act like preschoolers sometimes when they just can't!
Sunny Day 01:26 PM 02-25-2011
I have a 19 month old that can't do that stuff either. I wouldn't feel bad at all about posting the question though--you're just concerned. Plus, in my experience boys seem to be later at getting to that stuff than girls. All my daycare boys seem to be a bit behind the girls at the same age with respect to direction taking, problem solving, speach, etc, so I have to remind myself the they just develop differently. At 15 months, I wouldn't be too concerned.
Little People 01:58 PM 02-25-2011
Originally Posted by blueclouds29:
I have a DCB that's 15 months old,(I've only had for 3 month) can't seem to follow simple commands or directions. Such as 'get the ball' or 'go get your sippy cup, its right there on the floor'. Today we were reading books that had simple commands such as 'pat your head' 'touch your nose' or 'touch your toes'. He just looks at you with a blank stare.
Should i be concerned?
LOL
I started a 14mts dcb today and he is the same way. But when my dcg started with me and was 14 mts she could do all those things.

I am glad you are concerned about the little guy. All children are different and will learn at a different pace. So just keep up the good work, working with him
melissa ann 02:24 PM 02-25-2011
I have dcb who will be 2 yrs old in a month. He's very bright. Will do what I tell him. Ex: clean up the toys, put your napkin in the trash, put your cup in the sink, wash your hands,etc. My issue with him is he doesn't talk. He just says bye, mom, papa. That's it. He will hit my leg to get my attention and point to the food if he's hungry, fridge if he's thirsty or to someone who did something to him. Very frustrating. I do try to get him to talk. I will get a book and say book and tell him to say book. he just smiles.
Live and Learn 02:35 PM 02-25-2011
Someone mentioned that they thought that boys developed slower and it has been my own personal experience that this isn't often true. My sons spoke and followed directions just as well and as early as my girls and....if anything they were a little earlier. The only kids with speech delay in my dc were both girls ( whose mom's were super duper into baby signing!)
KEG123 04:36 PM 02-25-2011
I guess I took offense because my son was not doing all those things at that age. I hated that you implied that it meant the parents didn't play with him. Heck, he still sometimes doesn't answer commands (but now, I wonder if it's because he doesn't WANT to, not that he CAN'T) Sorry.
blueclouds29 07:32 PM 02-25-2011
No you were right, i felt so bad after i put that about him. I was to quick to judge the family.
squareone 10:57 PM 02-25-2011
I read this post after part of it was deleted so I don't know all that was originally said. I just want to add that I have had 15mo kids in care and some could do the things that OP describes and some could not.

To the OPs credit, I think that being with a child 8-10 hours a day every day COULD give a provider a good idea of how much interaction the child receives at home or whether the child seems slow or behind. It is sometimes pretty obvious which kids are plopped in front of the TV from the time they get home until the time they go to bed. I am not saying that this is the case with this kid in particular but I do think that a provider might notice things that are "off" with a child even before a parent does or before a doctor will admit to.

I think it was a valid question and agree with the pp that said it shows that she was concerned.
Reply Up