Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Paint Colors?
MommyMuffin 12:21 PM 09-30-2011
I am in the process of finishing my basement for daycare. I've been working sooo hard painting. I need some advice.

My kitchen/craft area is a earthy green, the hallway is a warm tan and the bathroom is a pale yellow...what color should I paint the large play room?

I dont have much money left so installing carpet right now is not an option. Anyone have any suggestions for cheap flooring in the play room?
Crystal 12:45 PM 09-30-2011
A lovely cream color. I like the walls to be neutral so that I can change the colors of the materials in the room without it clashing with the paint.
Crystal 12:47 PM 09-30-2011
On the carpet/flooring, I'd keep an eye on craiglsist OR call around to some local carpeting stores and ask if they have a large remnant that they would be willing to donate to you. That's what I did years ago when I renovated the garage at my old house and they were happy to give it to me....they were gonna toss it anyway
Crystal 12:48 PM 09-30-2011
What's on the floor now....is it cement? I have seen some awesome paintwork done on cement flooring. You could do each play space in a different pattern/color.
MommyMuffin 01:05 PM 09-30-2011
Yes its cement. Carpet remnants sounds like a good way to go. I was thinking about doing the infant area with foam mats for extra padding...

I really want to do cream color because its calm and like you said it fits any decor but did the kids mark it up right away?
Crystal 01:43 PM 09-30-2011
Nah....I have used this playroom for 4 years and just last weekend put on a new coat of paint. I didn't really "have" too as it looked okay, but I wanted to freshen it up.
Crazy8 02:36 PM 09-30-2011
My playroom was a plain off-white for 4 years - it got beat up pretty bad. I just painted it green this summer. I know not everyone is a fan of colors, but I love it!!
mismatchedsocks 03:33 PM 09-30-2011
I like the cream color idea or white. Then you can decorate, and it feels open. Especially with it being a basement. Do you have windows? Maybe you can find some cute fabric for the curtains to brighten up the room.

I also used cute fabric I found on sale, framed it and hung it for art work.
Childminder 05:31 PM 09-30-2011
I bought some awesome commercial carpet off craigslist for $75. 12 x 30 brand new bolt end. Also if you live anywhere near where they do auto show and the like there are carpet warehouses that sell the carpet they use for displays. It's usually pennies on the dollar and very good quality. My aunt carpeted her entire home for very little. We got some vinyl roll flooring from there for $3 a yard.
MommyMuffin 06:46 AM 10-01-2011
On my way to menards to pick out paint and search for remnants!! I hope I get something good.

If I get to painting today I will try to post some pictures of the spaces. I could use your help with how to lay it out.
My Daycare 09:18 AM 10-01-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
A lovely cream color. I like the walls to be neutral so that I can change the colors of the materials in the room without it clashing with the paint.
Great suggestion! Especially if you are going to hang stuff on the walls and you don't want a cluttered look.

If, and only if, you have a lot of light than you can do a brown or dark red, dark blue, or dark green accent wall.
MommyMuffin 02:40 PM 10-01-2011
Ok I am very excited. I just finished painting but I cant figure out how to post my pictures. I'm gonna have my husband help me later.

I picked this creamy "apple center" color and then on the bottom is a medium brown color.

I hopefully can get hubby to post a pic tonight.
Crystal 01:10 PM 10-03-2011
Sweet! Can't wait to see the pics! One of these days I'll get around to posting pics again. It just takes soooo long!
Heidi 01:18 PM 10-03-2011
I don't know where you live, but if the floor is warm enough (warm climate or heated floor), you can paint it. My sister did this in her log home, and it looks great. She used a special floor paint, then speckled on two complimentary colors.

I like warm vanilla for the walls. Looks great with primary colors.
Abigail 10:06 PM 10-03-2011
How do you paint on a cement floor? Is it easy to steam mop it or will the mop stick to the cement flooring since it has never been painted yet? I'm on a budget and the "kitchen/craft" room doesn't have anything but cement. Does anyone have websites or photos to share about painting cement floors?
MommyMuffin 06:03 AM 10-04-2011
My hubby is still sleeping so when he wakes up I will ask him to post the pictures.

The painting idea sounds neat but I live in MN and its gonna get cold!!! BBBRRRR...

I also have really little ones and I worry about them hitting their heads on the floor. What I really wanted to do was to write out a prayer all over the cement floor To bless the house..the daycare..and all the kids who come.
before putting carpet remnants down (they are on sale at Menards right now)!.
Now time to wake up my third child (hubby)
SilverSabre25 06:20 AM 10-04-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
How do you paint on a cement floor? Is it easy to steam mop it or will the mop stick to the cement flooring since it has never been painted yet? I'm on a budget and the "kitchen/craft" room doesn't have anything but cement. Does anyone have websites or photos to share about painting cement floors?
You can buy concrete paint at Lowes/Home Depot. Might be called concrete stain.
godiva83 06:57 AM 10-04-2011
My GF painted her basement rec room floor it looks AMAZING... I will try to get a photo from her!
She did stripes in a square pattern with purple, green, yellow, orange,blue,red and white! She but a coat of sealant on it and has a big cream fluffy carpet ontop
Blackcat31 07:12 AM 10-04-2011
My SIL painted her basement floor by having her kids make painted footprints leading to different areas of the room. One child had green prints, one had blue and etc. It is really cute! She also had her dog walk on the floor and leave footprints too!

Her daycare kids like to follow the paths of each color to see where they end up. They seem to occupy themselves for hours following the different footprints.
Tags:color, paint
Reply Up