Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Only Allowing Children while Parents are at Work/School
craftymissbeth 08:28 AM 01-01-2014
For those that only care for children while their parents are at work or school...

How would I go about implementing this policy?

I have one dcg whose mom has 2 days off during the week and dcg has been here Mon-Fri since June... dcm has never spent any of those days off with dcg. Also, I realized today (NYE) that both of my dc families are off yet they both wanted to bring their children. One dcm dropped off hungover and said she's going back to bed to sleep it off and the other texted me at 8:45 am to let me know they'll be here at 10ish, but my drop off cut off is 9... their usual drop off is 6:15 so I woke up much earlier than I needed to waiting for them to show up.

I truly believe that the best place for children is not daycare, but at home with family. IMO, there's no reason for my dck's to be here unless both parents are at school or work.

I would LOVE to implement this policy, but I'm afraid that parents will see it as unreasonable since they're still paying for the spot. I'm getting ready to give parents my updated handbook and contract for the year which includes a new pay rate chart similar to Blackcat's and Nannyde's. This new rate chart gives both families the opportunity to lower their rate if they can pick up earlier (or for my early drop off to start dropping off at 7 instead of 6:15). I feel like giving them the potential to lower their rates gives me the ability to be stricter with my policies.

Anyway, the only here while work/school policy is the only thing I'm struggling with. How would you implement it and is it even enforceable? What are the consequences of violating the policy?
Cradle2crayons 08:37 AM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
For those that only care for children while their parents are at work or school...

I have one dcg whose mom has 2 days off during the week and dcg has been here Mon-Fri since June... dcm has never spent any of those days off with dcg. Also, I realized today (NYE) that both of my dc families are off yet they both wanted to bring their children. One dcm dropped off hungover and said she's going back to bed to sleep it off and the other texted me at 8:45 am to let me know they'll be here at 10ish, but my drop off cut off is 9... their usual drop off is 6:15 so I woke up much earlier than I needed to waiting for them to show up.

I truly believe that the best place for children is not daycare, but at home with family. IMO, there's no reason for my dck's to be here unless both parents are at school or work.

I would LOVE to implement this policy, but I'm afraid that parents will see it as unreasonable since they're still paying for the spot. I'm getting ready to give parents my updated handbook and contract for the year which includes a new pay rate chart similar to Blackcat's and Nannyde's. This new rate chart gives both families the opportunity to lower their rate if they can pick up earlier (or for my early drop off to start dropping off at 7 instead of 6:15). I feel like giving them the potential to lower their rates gives me the ability to be stricter with my policies.

Anyway, the only here while work/school policy is the only thing I'm struggling with. How would you implement it and is it even enforceable? What are the consequences of violating the policy?
All of my parents are on contracted care only. It works well for me.
Both of my moms with a total of five kids do contracted care. They give me their schedule the week before care and they have a rate plan for either 4 days a week or 5 days a week. If they are scheduled for 4'days next week, they pay their 4 day rate and stick to that schedule. If they end up getting cut due to lack of business, they still pay for the day but don't bring their kids.

All schedules are printed and signed by their supervisor so that I can be sure they are computer generated and accurate instead of hand written. My parents also know I WILL call their job and see if they are there if I suspect dishonesty. I've done it before and I will do it again.

If they violate the policy or I catch them in dishonesty, I have the right in my contract to term them without notice.

All schedule changes must be in advance and signed by a supervisor.

They are allowed to drop off x minutes before their shift starts and they have to pick up x minutes after their shift ends.

I have one mom who works 5 days a week. And one mom who works usually 3 days a week sometimes 4.
Annalee 09:43 AM 01-01-2014

Some dc here offer individualized contracts specific to days worked, not days for walmart, tanning bed, etc..... I haven't done that yet but do have several that only come two or three days a week due to their work schedule...the spot is theirs and they pay like all parents 52 weeks a year one flat rate...but they have to clear it with me if they need an extra day because I plan appointments for myself and/or my own children based on the number of kids for the day. I have fully explained this to my parents and it seems I always have one parent that just don't get it or just doesn't like following the rules. You make me rethink going to individualized contracts.....might just do that!
daycarediva 10:06 AM 01-01-2014
I WISH I could do this but couldn't get/keep clients if I did.

Two of my dcks are from SAHMs, (one ft one pt) ALL of my dcps were off on NYE and half picked up early. Some keep their kids home every second that they can get, and others get up early on their days off to bring dck at regular time. I figure that they are paying for a service, and just like a gym membership, some use it more than others.

I do stress at interview that I prefer to work with clients who value family time, and put time with their child as top priority. Haven't had ANYONE disagree but their actions do. Who is really going to tell the truth though? "I'd rather drop my kid with you 50 hours a week and have me time than spend it with my child."
craftymissbeth 10:11 AM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by dapb45:
Some dc here offer individualized contracts specific to days worked, not days for walmart, tanning bed, etc..... I haven't done that yet but do have several that only come two or three days a week due to their work schedule...the spot is theirs and they pay like all parents 52 weeks a year one flat rate...but they have to clear it with me if they need an extra day because I plan appointments for myself and/or my own children based on the number of kids for the day. I have fully explained this to my parents and it seems I always have one parent that just don't get it or just doesn't like following the rules. You make me rethink going to individualized contracts.....might just do that!
This is what I currently do also. $100.00 a week and you can send your child as much or as little as you want during my business hours. I realize now that this is where I made my mistake. Duh, if you tell them as much or as little they're going to come every day!

So here's my new rate chart. These are full-time rates. I don't offer part-time:
Open at 7:00 a.m.
Rates based on pick-up times...
3:00 p.m. - $80.00
3:15 p.m. - $85.00
3:30 p.m. - $90.00
3:45 p.m. - $95.00
4:00 p.m. - $100.00
4:15 p.m. - $105.00
4:30 p.m. - $110.00
4:45 p.m. - $115.00
5:00 p.m. - $120.00

$5.00 per hour per child for contracted hours before 7:00 a.m.
$5.00 per hour per child for contracted hours after 5:00 p.m.
(^I need to reword this... I'm trying to say that, for example, if you need care until 6 pm everyday, then there's an additional $25.00 per week. It sounds like I mean only $5 added to the weekly rate. If I have to work more than 10 hours a day then I want to be well compensated for it.)

$7.00 per hour per child for occasional preapproved hours needed before 7:00 a.m.
$7.00 per hour per child for occasional preapproved hours needed after 5:00 p.m.

As I was typing all of that out I had an idea that probably won't work, but I'll put it out there anyway. What if I use my rate chart and say if you want to use this chart then your child may only come while you are working or at school, but if you want to be able to bring your child while you aren't working or at school then there's an additional $25.00 (or something) per week fee.
craftymissbeth 10:14 AM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
I WISH I could do this but couldn't get/keep clients if I did.

Two of my dcks are from SAHMs, (one ft one pt) ALL of my dcps were off on NYE and half picked up early. Some keep their kids home every second that they can get, and others get up early on their days off to bring dck at regular time. I figure that they are paying for a service, and just like a gym membership, some use it more than others.

I do stress at interview that I prefer to work with clients who value family time, and put time with their child as top priority. Haven't had ANYONE disagree but their actions do. Who is really going to tell the truth though? "I'd rather drop my kid with you 50 hours a week and have me time than spend it with my child."
This is what I'm worried about

I know one of my families will have a huge problem with it and will definitely let me know about it. The other family will probably go along with it, but won't let me know if they are ok with it or not.

But if I use my new rate chart it would make my rates potentially lower than most of the other home daycares in my area... would it be reasonable to have this new policy as a stipulation to my new lower rates?

ETA: I also do not charge for any days that I'm closed, including holidays and vacations. So not only will my rates have the possibility of being lower than others in my area, but I also still won't be charging for closed days (most in the area do charge). My whole goal is to not only get kids home with their families, but also to attract older toddlers and preschool ages. I'm getting burned out on infants
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:14 AM 01-01-2014
Only if they are state funded are they only work/ school hours for me. The rest pay for the week and may use it. If they want a day to get things done I understand and then they pick up right after naptime. I do close holidays though and like yesterday I had asked a month ago who was working. I only had the 2 kids that their moms were at work. I just try to be really upfront about my needs. If you guys could pick up early on Tuesday I could be done early that day etc.
Annalee 10:21 AM 01-01-2014
This is what I'm worried about

I know one of my families will have a huge problem with it and will definitely let me know about it. The other family will probably go along with it, but won't let me know if they are ok with it or not.

But if I use my new rate chart it would make my rates potentially lower than most of the other home daycares in my area... would it be reasonable to have this new policy as a stipulation to my new lower rates?
My dad was my biggest supporter when I restructured my contract based on my needs as well, not just parents. He told me to sit down and think about what I REALLY felt the strongest about....when I did that he told me to then be non-negotiable with my clients. I stated in an earlier post that I received some flack and it was difficult for current parents, but becomes much easier as I enrolled new kids... Not going to lie to you, I got "chewed out" up one side and down the other and was a nervous wreck but was very professionally strong to the clients face. I would be very weak when the parents left...lol My dad is no longer here but he is still my inspiration... He taught me what I needed for business.... Good Luck!
renodeb 12:25 PM 01-01-2014
To be really honest, I don't think its really our business to tell dc parents how to use there dc spot. They are paying for a service and we are there to provide the service. We can encourage them to keep there kids home when there home but in the long run I don't think its really our place.
I have been pretty lucky and most all my dc parents have been really good about keeping the kids home when there off but I have never told them they cant bring them when there off. That rate chart looks good but it seems like a lot to keep track of to me.
If you really think that it will work then try it. You will get a since of how they will react pretty durn quick. Let us know how it goes.
Deb
Annalee 03:34 PM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by renodeb:
To be really honest, I don't think its really our business to tell dc parents how to use there dc spot. They are paying for a service and we are there to provide the service. We can encourage them to keep there kids home when there home but in the long run I don't think its really our place.
I used to feel this way, but not anymore....Granted, I provide services for their child but with limitations....I do not feel time-tables with expectations for clients is bad service...If I choose to close at 4:30, which I do, I only take parents that can meet this demand....Ironically, if the client REALLY wants my services, they will work this out...because it happens regularly....When I went to allowing only 9.5 hours a day not to exceed 4:30, my parents waited till 7 to bring their kids....when they WERE coming at 6:00 and staying till close....clients need boundaries just like kids....accountability/responsibility is important for all.....
renodeb 04:22 PM 01-01-2014
I hear yeah, but couldn't a dc parent still just use the spot for the time limit and still not go to work? I know all providers have there own style and way of doing things and it works for them but for me I choose to not have to keep track of the parents. I'm glad that the time limit works for you. Another factor is travel time to and from for these parents. They must all live close to you?
Deb
ColorfulSunburst 05:09 PM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by renodeb:
To be really honest, I don't think its really our business to tell dc parents how to use there dc spot. They are paying for a service and we are there to provide the service.
I agree.

Familycare71 05:21 PM 01-01-2014
I used to be really angry/resentful when a parent was not working and I had their child. I have since let that go and am much happier for it. It isn't something I am willing to control- I don't want to add that much to my list: having schedules signed by supervisors or some other confirmed schedule, Listening for any inconsistency about what they did with their day, etc... I have one dcb that now comes four to five days per week but reg only needs two-three due to moms work. It is her choice- I get a full time kid and she gets to do whatever... She knows he is safe and loved and even tho I feel sad for him I don't know her story.
It was just too much for me and I am really in the- not borrowing trouble -phase of my life
craftymissbeth 05:27 PM 01-01-2014
I'm thinking that I'm just going to go with my new rate chart so hopefully since there's a dollar sign attached to later pick-ups it will at least get them out of the door earlier. I'm also reworking my calendar of closings since I haven't handed those out yet and I'm making sure to take holidays off. Every stinking holiday that I feel like taking off. I'm scheduling the full 3 weeks (spring break, a week in October, and Christmas week) of vacation time. All of my days off are unpaid and they have plenty of time to figure things out themselves.

The whole reason I started my daycare was so that I could be closer to my family and still provide financially... I guess that's what's weird to me. My whole goal in life is to be available to DH and ds and to spend more time with them yet my clients are the total opposite of me.

Oh well, I can't control them. I can't judge them. I just need to take better care of my needs and I'm hoping I won't feel this way anymore.
Laurel 05:29 PM 01-01-2014
I wouldn't want to keep track of all their hours and whether or not they are at work.

Also, I wouldn't want to be open until say 5:00 for one and have another leave at 3:00 and get paid less per week. Then you'd be making $120 for one and $80 for the other. I'd rather just stay open till 5:00 and make $240 rather than $200 if I was going to stay open for the 5:00 parent anyway. Kwim?

Also we are licensed and have a limited number of children we can take. I'd hate to have all 6 that I can take leave at 3:00 and make less per week. What is another two hours really once you have them all there?

Just something to consider.

Laurel
craftymissbeth 05:38 PM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I wouldn't want to keep track of all their hours and whether or not they are at work.

Also, I wouldn't want to be open until say 5:00 for one and have another leave at 3:00 and get paid less per week. Then you'd be making $120 for one and $80 for the other. I'd rather just stay open till 5:00 and make $240 rather than $200 if I was going to stay open for the 5:00 parent anyway. Kwim?

Also we are licensed and have a limited number of children we can take. I'd hate to have all 6 that I can take leave at 3:00 and make less per week. What is another two hours really once you have them all there?

Laurel
I set my lowest rate at what is enough for us financially. I would never have a rate that was lower than what we need to make ends meet plus some.

The reason I don't want to just stay that extra 2 hours since they're here anyway is that that's 2 hours less per day that I can spend quality time with my family... 10 less hours per week. Even if I did have only one child here until 5 that's still much less work than having all of the children here until 5, kwim? Plus, I didn't start my business to make buco bucks... I did it specifically to take better care of my family by being home.

I WANT every last one of my families (I only have 2, but if I had 12 it would be the same thing) to choose a 3:00 pm pick-up time. I personally believe that children belong at home. If a parent must work then I'm here for them, but they should spend as much awake time as possible with their family. If I have to lose a bit of income to make that happen so be it.
Patches 06:00 PM 01-01-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:421234:

Laurel
I set my lowest rate at what is enough for us financially. I would never have a rate that was lower than what we need to make ends meet plus some.

The reason I don't want to just stay that extra 2 hours since they're here anyway is that that's 2 hours less per day that I can spend quality time with my family... 10 less hours per week. Even if I did have only one child here until 5 that's still much less work than having all of the children here until 5, kwim? Plus, I didn't start my business to make buco bucks... I did it specifically to take better care of my family by being home.

I WANT every last one of my families (I only have 2, but if I had 12 it would be the same thing) to choose a 3:00 pm pick-up time. I personally believe that children belong at home. If a parent must work then I'm here for them, but they should spend as much awake time as possible with their family. If I have to lose a bit of income to make that happen so be it.
I started doing contracted hours about 6 months ago and I love it. My pick up times start at 3:30 and end at 6:00. I would love have all my dcks picked up by 3:30! That $25 per kid would be totally worth it. Most of mine have a 4:30 pick up right now though, which is nice.

ETA: About your original question. I don't require parents to be at work for kids to be here, because I don't think I could make it work. I didn't have any advice for you about how to do it, because I don't know. But if you think you can do it, go for it!
Hunni Bee 07:38 PM 01-01-2014
I don't agree with "its not our business". It IS our "business" when it directly affects the kind of child we have in care (and it does), and its the providers business and her prerogative to implement any policies he/she deems necessary, as long as they are within the scope of the law and licensing. (totally not snarky, kinda sounds like it).

I think its good policy. Hard to implement, but good. I'd just approach it in a no-nonsense way like Cradle2crayons does, explain why your logic behind it, and possibly include your idea about allowing them to pay extra for errands. Just like on software agreements, it says "you agree not to use this software to do x, y and z" when they sign up with your daycare, they agree not to use your services for activities other than work or school.
Rachel 02:39 AM 01-02-2014
I used to feel this way, but not anymore....Granted, I provide services for their child but with limitations....I do not feel time-tables with expectations for clients is bad service...If I choose to close at 4:30, which I do, I only take parents that can meet this demand....Ironically, if the client REALLY wants my services, they will work this out...because it happens regularly....When I went to allowing only 9.5 hours a day not to exceed 4:30, my parents waited till 7 to bring their kids....when they WERE coming at 6:00 and staying till close....clients need boundaries just like kids....accountability/responsibility is important for all.....
But there is a difference between opening and closing times, and making a parent pay for the spot but now allowing her to use it. Do you give different rates for parents who are contracted less time? Why should I pay $120 for 6 hours a day of the kid there is paying $120 for 9.5 hours? (Yes, I get the concept of you are paying for a spot, but that spot should then be available to me for when I want it within opening and closing hours). What about a parent who has a day off once a week, or gets off early? What if you are in area A, and she works in area B 30 minutes away. If she gets off early one day, she should come to you, pick up her child, drive back to area B to go shopping, and then drive back home to area A where she lives? Makes no sense. Again, I'm talking about within opening hours, not parents coming late or leaving early. I'm also not talking about people who are opened for 12 hours, but allow everyone to contract for 8, 9, or 10.
ColorfulSunburst 05:03 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I don't agree with "its not our business".
There is a very simple way to stop "worry" about that question. As soon as providers stop to request payment for these days most parents will keep their children at home when they have day off.
Annalee 05:36 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Rachel:
But there is a difference between opening and closing times, and making a parent pay for the spot but now allowing her to use it. Do you give different rates for parents who are contracted less time? Why should I pay $120 for 6 hours a day of the kid there is paying $120 for 9.5 hours? (Yes, I get the concept of you are paying for a spot, but that spot should then be available to me for when I want it within opening and closing hours). What about a parent who has a day off once a week, or gets off early? What if you are in area A, and she works in area B 30 minutes away. If she gets off early one day, she should come to you, pick up her child, drive back to area B to go shopping, and then drive back home to area A where she lives? Makes no sense. Again, I'm talking about within opening hours, not parents coming late or leaving early. I'm also not talking about people who are opened for 12 hours, but allow everyone to contract for 8, 9, or 10.
I have 6 of 12 kids that only work two or three days a week and it is protocol for them to ask before coming the other days off..Rarely do they ask....My clients pay 52 weeks a year regardless of days. When I do the interview I explain this....
nannyde 07:26 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by ColorfulSunburst:
There is a very simple way to stop "worry" about that question. As soon as providers stop to request payment for these days most parents will keep their children at home when they have day off.
No they won't. They will use the "no payment due" for absent days for sick days when they aren't allowed to bring the kid or days when they can get free care.
TwinKristi 07:56 AM 01-02-2014
I think a lot of this has to do with supply and demand. No way would that fly here. There are so many providers out there willing to take peanuts for their work and do whatever you want whenever you want, 6-7 days a week, 24hrs a day! I'm glad some of you are able to structure your business is such a way but it's so slow here. My neighbor has been doing DC for over 10yrs and said its unreasonably slow lately. She & I are both down to 50% capacity, but my 50% includes 3 of my own kids. Luckily 2 of her moms just had babies so in the next 3-4mos she'll be getting 2 infants but that still leaves room for more. Last year she was over capacity a few hours a day most days and there were times I was at capacity last year only to be down low again. I've been advertising like crazy and had 3 infant interviews that didn't work out. I'm super bummed.
Anyway, I personally don't care where parents are unless it's like an all the time thing. If I found out that once a week they were off and every week they still brought their child I might get annoyed. But if I have 4+ other kids here anyway what does it matter? I can't schedule an appt or do something for myself anyway. I know a parent figures they're paying you either way so might as well use the time productively. I realize looking back that one mom probably brought her baby a few times when she wasn't working. She would show up with her sister and mom and when she dropped off she wasn't in makeup and nice work clothes. I can always text or whatever to get ahold of them so it doesn't really effect anything if do.
And the whole bring me your schedule and manager sign off and calling work and such... No thank you! It just seems like an awful lot of extra work and a bit micro-managing to me. My last 2 jobs didn't have anythjng like this (weekly schedule generated by a computer, etc) and I think I would be embarrassed to have special requests made to "prove" I'm working.
sharlan 08:01 AM 01-02-2014
Personally, I don't care where my parents are while I have the child. I care that they are available in case of an emergency and that they pick up on time.
Annalee 08:15 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by TwinKristi:
I think a lot of this has to do with supply and demand. No way would that fly here. There are so many providers out there willing to take peanuts for their work and do whatever you want whenever you want, 6-7 days a week, 24hrs a day! I'm glad some of you are able to structure your business is such a way but it's so slow here. My neighbor has been doing DC for over 10yrs and said its unreasonably slow lately. She & I are both down to 50% capacity, but my 50% includes 3 of my own kids. Luckily 2 of her moms just had babies so in the next 3-4mos she'll be getting 2 infants but that still leaves room for more. Last year she was over capacity a few hours a day most days and there were times I was at capacity last year only to be down low again. I've been advertising like crazy and had 3 infant interviews that didn't work out. I'm super bummed.
Anyway, I personally don't care where parents are unless it's like an all the time thing. If I found out that once a week they were off and every week they still brought their child I might get annoyed. But if I have 4+ other kids here anyway what does it matter? I can't schedule an appt or do something for myself anyway. I know a parent figures they're paying you either way so might as well use the time productively. I realize looking back that one mom probably brought her baby a few times when she wasn't working. She would show up with her sister and mom and when she dropped off she wasn't in makeup and nice work clothes. I can always text or whatever to get ahold of them so it doesn't really effect anything if do.
And the whole bring me your schedule and manager sign off and calling work and such... No thank you! It just seems like an awful lot of extra work and a bit micro-managing to me. My last 2 jobs didn't have anythjng like this (weekly schedule generated by a computer, etc) and I think I would be embarrassed to have special requests made to "prove" I'm working.
I agree,..times are changing economically....and day care providers have to do what they feel comfortable doing. However, I think I would rather have less kids knowing I would get paid and when they would be here than to be at full capacity and have to fight for my money and for daycare parents to follow my contract rules.
Cradle2crayons 08:23 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Hunni Bee:
I don't agree with "its not our business". It IS our "business" when it directly affects the kind of child we have in care (and it does), and its the providers business and her prerogative to implement any policies he/she deems necessary, as long as they are within the scope of the law and licensing. (totally not snarky, kinda sounds like it).

I think its good policy. Hard to implement, but good. I'd just approach it in a no-nonsense way like Cradle2crayons does, explain why your logic behind it, and possibly include your idea about allowing them to pay extra for errands. Just like on software agreements, it says "you agree not to use this software to do x, y and z" when they sign up with your daycare, they agree not to use your services for activities other than work or school.
Great example
Cradle2crayons 08:27 AM 01-02-2014
No extra work at all for me. THEY get heir schedule. THEY get their manager to sign off on it.

My clientele are all waitresses. Maybe twice in two years I've called and the parents never knew. Two minutes in two years of my time doesn't seem wasteful. Other than that, my parents know I WILL call. And they know I CAN call. That's all they need to know. As far as extra work. Nope. It actually makes my life and my family's life a lot easier to do things this way. Especially considering I am open seven days a week which includes afternoons and nights.
TwinKristi 08:43 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
No extra work at all for me. THEY get heir schedule. THEY get their manager to sign off on it.

My clientele are all waitresses. Maybe twice in two years I've called and the parents never knew. Two minutes in two years of my time doesn't seem wasteful. Other than that, my parents know I WILL call. And they know I CAN call. That's all they need to know. As far as extra work. Nope. It actually makes my life and my family's life a lot easier to do things this way. Especially considering I am open seven days a week which includes afternoons and nights.
Right... This may work for waitresses but for people who work in other industries it's a little different and to recommend this as a solution isn't really realistic for everyone. I can promise you if I requested my parents do this for me they'd look at me like I had 2 heads.
daycare 08:46 AM 01-02-2014
I request this in my PHB,but I realize that parents are going to do what they want. I really don't care what they are doing while their child is here with me.

what i do care about is that their child is cared for to the best of their ability, the parents are dropping off/picking up on time, paying on time and respecting the rest of my policies. AND no matter where the parents are, I am able to get in to contact with them.

If I didn't want children here on a certain day, then I would just close that day.

I used to feel so sad for the children that their parents brought them on their days off, but then I realized that some parents truly can't handle their children. NOt saying it in a bad way or that it is a bad thing, some parents jobs keep them more stressed out than others, or the way that they are able to cope is different than I (providers). Most of the kids really don't realize that they are at care while mommy and daddy are off having fun and they stay in a consistent routine.

I feel that where there are happy parents there will be happy children. Parents who are less stressed will be able to better care for their children. We can ask that they use our services so that they can work/school, but some will just lie to you about their intended activities for that day, while others will abide.

I didn't get to read all of the responses, hope I didn't repeat what others may have said....
countrymom 08:47 AM 01-02-2014
ok, this is what works for me (and this is what many do in my area)

I work on contract hours. I also tell parents that I need to know where they are incase of emergency.

second, my parents don't pay weeklly, they pay for only the spots that they use. Not only does this cut down on dumping kids when they are not at work but also I rarley get a sick kid that comes to my house.

do I lose income for the week, no I don't because my parents are honest and they know that if they mess around that they will be termed.

also for holidays, I tell them in advance that they have till such and such a date to let me know if they need me, if no one responds then I'm closing. I also don't open for one child, totally waste of my time.

I've been at this for a long time, and I found that if I didn't want to be walked all over I took care of the situation before it got ugly.

but contract work is the best, this way I know when a child is coming and going no more guessing.
TwinKristi 08:56 AM 01-02-2014
Yeah I was going to touch on routines as well. Routines are important to little ones as we all know so when there's a disruption in routine and kids are here with us 3 days and home 2 days, it can cause disruption for them and us, especially with a 1 day here 2 days home, 2 days here, 2 days home and start all over again. I would rather just have the child here and used to our routine than fight me after being home. I had a DCB who's mom worked MT-ThF but started working W as well. I watched him and occasionally his sister on W but usually his aunt, neighbor or another random family member watched them on that day. Thurs was ALWAYS a hard day for him. He's very schedule oriented. If you let him do whatever he wanted (at almost 2) he'd take a nap at 9, then be up all day and crash at 4 and then not go to sleep on time and make him grumpy in the AM and needing an early nap. But here he would make it to 12 and take a nap after lunch until 2:30-3 and them be up and happy until his 8pm bedtime. He's much happier this way. But someone who only watches him once or twice doesn't really care about his long-term schedule and what happens later. That's my take on it anyway.
Annalee 08:57 AM 01-02-2014
Right... This may work for waitresses but for people who work in other industries it's a little different and to recommend this as a solution isn't really realistic for everyone. I can promise you if I requested my parents do this for me they'd look at me like I had 2 heads.
Some actually look at me like I have two heads now, too, but they learn quickly what I expect from them as well as they can depend on me doing what I say I will do when it comes to care/teaching of their children to enforcing my contract. There are NO deceptive traits here...what daycare parents see is what they get. I guess I have looked at them like they have two heads before, too.
Cradle2crayons 09:02 AM 01-02-2014
It worked great for me when I didn't have waitresses too.

Of course I never said this would work for everyone or for every situation. I said it works for ME. I've had parents from every walk of life in every profession. It's always worked for me. Of course, when I have nurses, they give me their monthly schedule. Around here if they are scheduled 11-7 they don't get cut. They are there until the shift is over. Works great for teachers too.

But I can totally see how it wouldn't work for everyone.

But I also do a lot of things different from most here. I work different hours. I have a few weird policies.

It's one of the wonderful things about this place.

Nobody does everything exactly like another. We read posts, get new ideas, and decide if we want to or can implement policies we would like to try.
Blackcat31 09:06 AM 01-02-2014
I'm thinking that I'm just going to go with my new rate chart so hopefully since there's a dollar sign attached to later pick-ups it will at least get them out of the door earlier. I'm also reworking my calendar of closings since I haven't handed those out yet and I'm making sure to take holidays off. Every stinking holiday that I feel like taking off. I'm scheduling the full 3 weeks (spring break, a week in October, and Christmas week) of vacation time. All of my days off are unpaid and they have plenty of time to figure things out themselves.

The whole reason I started my daycare was so that I could be closer to my family and still provide financially... I guess that's what's weird to me. My whole goal in life is to be available to DH and ds and to spend more time with them yet my clients are the total opposite of me.

Oh well, I can't control them. I can't judge them. I just need to take better care of my needs and I'm hoping I won't feel this way anymore.
You answered your own question.

Here are my thoughts on the subject:

I make sure parents KNOW and understand how I personally feel about parents who drop their children off at daycare unnecessarily.

Then that's it. No more discussion about MY personal feelings on the subject.

I then give them my rate sheet.

They CAN choose to use every hour I am open. For the corresponding fees.
They CAN choose to use ONLY what hours/days they need. For the corresponding fee.
They CAN alter work schedules, work with other family members etc and reduce their fees by picking up earlier.

Either way, it's up to THEM. I am okay with whatever choice(s) they make because my rates make sure I am paid according to how much or little I work.

I feel comfortable working MORE than 9 hours per day for a family because I am paid VERY WELL for those additional hours.

I am comfortable with the families who use the bare minimum number of hours for the lowest rate I have because I also have that child the least number of hours and therefore are less work.

If a parent DOES drop their child off and go back home to bed, they RARELY tell me because I am opinionated enough to make a snarky comment about it (IF this is common behavior) and adult enough to not say a word when a parent who RARELY does it needs a little alone time. kwim?

I schedule a set number of days off per year. Both paid and unpaid and simply accept and understand that I am working the hours/days I have not scheduled myself off.

You are right.

You cannot control anyone else's choices
You cannot judge their choices as we don't live their lives.

You can ONLY control how YOU feel and how YOU handle what life brings your way.

Schedule the time off you need and don't worry about the rest. If you do it right, you will be MORE than compensated for the extra hours you worked if no one signs/agrees to contract for an earlier pick up time.

If you need help handling "specific" circumstances, you are more than welcome to PM me and I would be glad to help if I can.
itlw8 09:07 AM 01-02-2014
I market myself as a childcare/preschool so making them stay home means they miss out on preschool. I do demand to know where they are at all times so I may contact them in an emergency.
Play Care 09:19 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by daycare:
I request this in my PHB,but I realize that parents are going to do what they want. I really don't care what they are doing while their child is here with me.

what i do care about is that their child is cared for to the best of their ability, the parents are dropping off/picking up on time, paying on time and respecting the rest of my policies. AND no matter where the parents are, I am able to get in to contact with them.

If I didn't want children here on a certain day, then I would just close that day.

I used to feel so sad for the children that their parents brought them on their days off, but then I realized that some parents truly can't handle their children. NOt saying it in a bad way or that it is a bad thing, some parents jobs keep them more stressed out than others, or the way that they are able to cope is different than I (providers). Most of the kids really don't realize that they are at care while mommy and daddy are off having fun and they stay in a consistent routine.

I feel that where there are happy parents there will be happy children. Parents who are less stressed will be able to better care for their children. We can ask that they use our services so that they can work/school, but some will just lie to you about their intended activities for that day, while others will abide.

I didn't get to read all of the responses, hope I didn't repeat what others may have said....

I think the key is closing when you want/need to and not feeling guilty and I keep my posted hours shorter than most which helps keep me from feeling abused. That said, I sometimes get the impression that providers think their dcp's "owe" them a break - when I worked outside the home my boss never said to me "you look as though you need a break, why don't you take tomorrow off." I never ask my dcp's if they are off so I can take a day off - I just take the day off. But I've also had the flip side of parents always sending kids in which is they NEVER send them in when they (the parents) are off/sick or rush to get them when they get out of work. One family I had to terminate because the kids behavior was AWFUL!!!! They felt the world should continue to revolve around them as it did in their house. And the other stayed until they went to K, but I always felt as though the parent never fully trusted me and treated my home like a "purgatory" where her child had no choice but to wait at while she worked. He was always very OCD and fussy and never really fit in.
Laurel 09:31 AM 01-02-2014

Well in that case, carry on!

I just know that I have implemented things in the past that didn't quite work out the way I had planned so try to think of all the possible angles.

Laurel
Laurel 09:36 AM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Patches:
I started doing contracted hours about 6 months ago and I love it. My pick up times start at 3:30 and end at 6:00. I would love have all my dcks picked up by 3:30! That $25 per kid would be totally worth it. Most of mine have a 4:30 pick up right now though, which is nice.

ETA: About your original question. I don't require parents to be at work for kids to be here, because I don't think I could make it work. I didn't have any advice for you about how to do it, because I don't know. But if you think you can do it, go for it!
Well if it works then that's great. Something similar happened to me years ago. I can have 6 legally but only wanted 4. My provider friend said well since you are there with 4, why not just make the money and take 6? So I did and regretted it. Now I have 3 and it is great.

Laurel
craftymissbeth 12:44 PM 01-02-2014
So I've decided to add this to my handbook:

"I am a large supporter of children being home with their family every chance possible. For this reason, I prefer to provide care to children when both parents are either working or in school. On days when a parent is neither working nor in school and they have errands or appointments, the child should still be with the parent. Every awake moment spent with a family member is a fantastic opportunity to learn new skills; especially social skills such as manners, patience, and appropriate public behavior. Please know that while your child is here your child asks questions about you throughout the day. The best place for them (and where they are happiest) is at home with mommy and daddy."

I'm not requiring parents to keep their child home when they're not working or at school, but I want to make it clear that I prefer for them to. I don't want to sound judgmental or like I want to tell them how to parent, but for my own sanity I really want to add it.

What would you call the header to this paragraph? In my notes I called it "Parents Day Off", but I'm not happy with how that sounds. Any ideas?
daycare 12:47 PM 01-02-2014

"I am a large supporter of children being home with their family every chance possible. For this reason, I prefer to provide care to children when both parents are either working or in school. On days when a parent is neither working nor in school and they have errands or appointments, the child should still be with the parent. Every awake moment spent with a family member is a fantastic opportunity to learn new skills; especially social skills such as manners, patience, and appropriate public behavior. Please know that while your child is here your child asks questions about you throughout the day. The best place for them (and where they are happiest) is at home with mommy and daddy."

I'm not requiring parents to keep their child home when they're not working or at school, but I want to make it clear that I prefer for them to. I don't want to sound judgmental or like I want to tell them how to parent, but for my own sanity I really want to add it.

What would you call the header to this paragraph? In my notes I called it "Parents Day Off", but I'm not happy with how that sounds. Any ideas?
how about what makes the happiest child.....
Blackcat31 12:56 PM 01-02-2014

How about "Child Care Philosophy" or "Child Rearing Philosophy" ?

You could also maybe include the statement in your mission statement.

Something like "My goal is to provide quality care to children while their parent is working or in school"...

I don't know....just thinking out loud.
daycare 01:08 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

Something like "My goal is to provide quality care to children while their parent is working or in school"...

that is what I have in my PHB...... So far I think it works out ok, but I also don't ask parents daily where they are going. So unless a parent tells me otherwise, I would not know.
Laurel 01:12 PM 01-02-2014

So just to be clear, if they have a day off from work, are you still asking them to pay you but prefer they don't bring the child?

If they get off early one day, can they pay less for that day only? Let's say they usually pick up at 5:00 but one day they come at 3:00.

I'm just thinking these things might come up so they should be addressed in your paperwork.

Laurel

Just thinking of things they might ask
Annalee 01:15 PM 01-02-2014

My handbook states "Thank you for considering my services for your child. I realize in society today most parents, including myself, do not have the opportunity to stay home with their child, so I intend to offer the next best option while parents are working and/or in school." This is the leading paragraph into my handbook.
craftymissbeth 01:48 PM 01-02-2014
how about what makes the happiest child.....
Yes, that sounds much better. Thank you!

I don't know....just thinking out loud.
That's a great suggestion.. I'm going to see if I can work it into my Philosophy section... and probably condense it quite a bit while I'm at it.

that is what I have in my PHB...... So far I think it works out ok, but I also don't ask parents daily where they are going. So unless a parent tells me otherwise, I would not know.
Oh, I have no intention of even asking where they are. I truly don't care anymore after I've thought about it some more. It just makes me so sad that they would rather be at home sleeping than getting to spend an extra day with their child. Oh well, it is what it is. The above statement that I'm wanting to add to my handbook is just so that it's in writing and clear how I feel about the whole situation. I've decided it's too much stress and work to require them to keep their children home with them. I just feel the need to put my opinion out there.

So just to be clear, if they have a day off from work, are you still asking them to pay you but prefer they don't bring the child?

If they get off early one day, can they pay less for that day only? Let's say they usually pick up at 5:00 but one day they come at 3:00.

I'm just thinking these things might come up so they should be addressed in your paperwork.

Laurel

Just thinking of things they might ask
I decided not to require it... I'm just trying to put my opinion out there into space in hopes that some parent some day will actually read it and consider spending some of that extra free time with their children. And no, if they decide to randomly pick up early they don't get to pay less... the whole pay less for an earlier pick up time will only apply to their contracted rate.

My handbook states "Thank you for considering my services for your child. I realize in society today most parents, including myself, do not have the opportunity to stay home with their child, so I intend to offer the next best option while parents are working and/or in school." This is the leading paragraph into my handbook.
This is great and I'll keep it in mind when I try to reword everything. Thanks!
LaLa1923 03:51 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
It worked great for me when I didn't have waitresses too.

Of course I never said this would work for everyone or for every situation. I said it works for ME. I've had parents from every walk of life in every profession. It's always worked for me. Of course, when I have nurses, they give me their monthly schedule. Around here if they are scheduled 11-7 they don't get cut. They are there until the shift is over. Works great for teachers too.

But I can totally see how it wouldn't work for everyone.

But I also do a lot of things different from most here. I work different hours. I have a few weird policies.

It's one of the wonderful things about this place.

Nobody does everything exactly like another. We read posts, get new ideas, and decide if we want to or can implement policies we would like to try.
OH now I'm very curious!!! What do you consider a weird policy??
Cradle2crayons 04:01 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by LaLa1923:
OH now I'm very curious!!! What do you consider a weird policy??
Lol I guess it depends on what one would call weird. Let's just say "different". According to some, my policies on computer generated manager signed schedules are weird lol.
Maria2013 04:03 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by sharlan:
Personally, I don't care where my parents are while I have the child. I care that they are available in case of an emergency and that they pick up on time.

KIDZRMYBIZ 04:34 PM 01-02-2014
Just today I was hoping that my dcp's New Year's Resolution was to make as much family time as possible. Alas, that did not come to fruitition!

I feel the same way as Crafty, but would never say anything to my dcp's. I wouldn't keep any clients if they were made to feel guilty dumping their kids at daycare. It's the parenting (or lack there of!) norm of today, sadly. I had said in a previous thread that I have made my peace with this piece of parenting nonsense and am much happier for it.

I wouldn't bother with contracted hours. I don't care if I have one kid or eight kids, I'm still working and my time is not my own if ANY of them are still here. I would rather make the "boucoup bucks" since I'm working the 10-hour days no matter what. Even if 1 or 2 of the hours is lighter by a few kids, I'm still tied down.

If I tried to implement a "no work, no daycare" policy, I know my dcp's would just lie about their schedule. I would never ask for a work schedule signed by their supervisor. I'd likely get ripped a new one! No way am I interested in micromanaging grown adults, anyway.

I just have fun with the dck's, don't let their silly parents stress me out, and make a big deal about all the cute things their little darling said or did that they chose to miss out on.
TwinKristi 08:33 PM 01-02-2014
Originally Posted by KIDZRMYBIZ:
Just today I was hoping that my dcp's New Year's Resolution was to make as much family time as possible. Alas, that did not come to fruitition!

I feel the same way as Crafty, but would never say anything to my dcp's. I wouldn't keep any clients if they were made to feel guilty dumping their kids at daycare. It's the parenting (or lack there of!) norm of today, sadly. I had said in a previous thread that I have made my peace with this piece of parenting nonsense and am much happier for it.

I wouldn't bother with contracted hours. I don't care if I have one kid or eight kids, I'm still working and my time is not my own if ANY of them are still here. I would rather make the "boucoup bucks" since I'm working the 10-hour days no matter what. Even if 1 or 2 of the hours is lighter by a few kids, I'm still tied down.

If I tried to implement a "no work, no daycare" policy, I know my dcp's would just lie about their schedule. I would never ask for a work schedule signed by their supervisor. I'd likely get ripped a new one! No way am I interested in micromanaging grown adults, anyway.

I just have fun with the dck's, don't let their silly parents stress me out, and make a big deal about all the cute things their little darling said or did that they chose to miss out on.
This was all I was trying to say... It seemed like micromanagement to have someone provide "proof" that they work and we all appreciate and value trust when caring for their children and offer the same trust that the parents are doing what's necessary when they bring their kids. Mom picked up today with no makeup and a messy bun hair so I know she didn't go to work but brought him at 7:30?? LOL I was glad to be done by 4!
Blackcat31 06:57 AM 01-03-2014

My DCP know how I personally feel about over-use of services if they are not working but I do not require proof, nor do I ask them where they are as I don't really care.

However, using contracted hours is not micromanaging.

Contracted hours allows parents to pay for only the time used.

Contracted hours allow me to know EXACTLY when I need to be at work and when I will be done. Which allows me to NOT have to always work 10 hour days yet NOT lose out on pay.

Contracted hours allows me (as well as parents) to budget finances as well as my time in a better manner so that I am NOT tied down for only one or two kids with NO idea what time (other than before closing) that they will be picked up.

Like you said, if parents choose to miss out or undervalue their children, then that's on them not me.

I also agree that the less you stress about what parents do or don't do, the less stressful this job is but I don't write off contracted hours as "micro-managing".

I consider it a system that is individualized for ALL (families and providers)and the rates are conducive to actual time used. For families that don't use ALL day, EVERY day, they appreciate the payment options.
Annalee 08:41 AM 01-03-2014

Contracted hours allow me to know EXACTLY when I need to be at work and when I will be done. Which allows me to NOT have to always work 10 hour days yet NOT lose out on pay.

Contracted hours allows me (as well as parents) to budget finances as well as my time in a better manner so that I am NOT tied down for only one or two kids with NO idea what time (other than before closing) that they will be picked up.

Cradle2crayons 10:58 AM 01-03-2014
My DCP know how I personally feel about over-use of services if they are not working but I do not require proof, nor do I ask them where they are as I don't really care.

However, using contracted hours is not micromanaging.

Like you said, if parents choose to miss out or undervalue their children, then that's on them not me.

I also agree that the less you stress about what parents do or don't do, the less stressful this job is but I don't write off contracted hours as "micro-managing".

I consider it a system that is individualized for ALL (families and providers)and the rates are conducive to actual time used. For families that don't use ALL day, EVERY day, they appreciate the payment options.
the main reason I do contracted is because my hours change every single day and week. For instance. Today, I will get 3 sibling set at 4:00 pm (mom has to be at work at 5:00pm). It's Friday so that means the restaurant closes at midnight but if it isn't busy, mom may or may not get off at 10:00 pm. Which puts her here around 11:00 without traffic. But I had issues with her saying she didn't leave until 12:00 midnight, putting her here at 1:00 am instead of 11:00 pm. That's two hours. That's why I require her clock out slip.

Tomorrow, she has to be at work at noon, dropping off at 11:00 am. Sunday she has to be at work at 5:00 pm with a 4:00 drop off. And two sibling set will be here at 3:30 for a shift start of 4:30 pm. She doesn't leave work until closing and then her side work is done. I don't require a clock out receipt from her because she rushes here to get her kids and never lies to me.

My point is, my hours change almost every day and every week, depending on their schedules. Some days I get two sibling set here at. 9:30 am if mom is working a double. She also picks up extra shifts and asks 24 hours in advance.

An open and closing time will NOT work with these families. It's impossible. If I had open and close times it would have to be 9:00 am until 2:00 am he next day to accomodate he hours needed.
AngiesCareXYZ 09:35 PM 01-13-2014
This is such a long post... I doubt my post will be read... I stopped reading about half way down. So I hope that what I said has not been typed out a bunch already...
When I was a little girl, my mom could not afford childcare. So I stayed home with my big brother. "He was not a very nice brother". Many times I remember not having electricity or running water. I would not see my mom accept when I would peek in on her passed out on the bed just before I would leave for school. I remembered one daycare lady that took care of my siblings and I for a while. If it weren't for her, we would not have eaten breakfast or dinner. (we ate lunch at school).
Today, and for the past 2 years, I have had a dck that has parents that are absorbed in their own lives. They just don't have a lot of emotional room for their child. So when dck comes to my home, I treat that child as my own. She is loved and disciplined and tickled and chased with mama fingers till she screams with delight.
I know that her parents love her. They are just wrapped up in their own lives right now.
YES!!! I get so frustrated sometimes. I get angry because this lil girl wants nothing more than to be with mommy and daddy. My husband has told me to term the family many times. But that little girl inside me says wait! Where will dcg go and will she get the same love that you have given to her for the past 2 years? I feel that I would be abandoning her if I termed them.
***The parents are not like my mom. DCG comes clean and fed. She is not neglected at home. Her parents just don't have the emotional ...(strength?) to love their daughter 100% of the time.

Just something to chew on I guess.
Reply Up