Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT: Thru The Wall A/C Unit
kitkat 07:29 AM 05-02-2014
We are debating about putting in a window a/c unit or a thru the wall unit in our only upstairs bedroom (not used for dc). My dad was questioning how drafty a thru the wall unit would be in the winter. I had an apartment with one a long time ago, and there was a cover to use inside during the winter. It was an upper apartment though, so it was always hot in the winter and I would have no idea about drafts.

Does anyone who lives in a northern state that has cold, snowy winters have a thru the wall unit that could share their opinion? I'm wondering how drafty is it, especially when temps are below zero?
Blackcat31 07:36 AM 05-02-2014
Originally Posted by kitkat:
We are debating about putting in a window a/c unit or a thru the wall unit in our only upstairs bedroom (not used for dc). My dad was questioning how drafty a thru the wall unit would be in the winter. I had an apartment with one a long time ago, and there was a cover to use inside during the winter. It was an upper apartment though, so it was always hot in the winter and I would have no idea about drafts.

Does anyone who lives in a northern state that has cold, snowy winters have a thru the wall unit that could share their opinion? I'm wondering how drafty is it, especially when temps are below zero?
I'm in Northern MN and personally would never use a through the wall unit because of the draft aspect. I don't care what kind of covers or foam inserts they send with or you can buy because it is still drafty.

We use a window unit that we remove each year. Easier to clean, easier to keep the heat in and easier to replace when the time comes.

midaycare 07:39 AM 05-02-2014
You would definitely have to remove it in the winter or you would freeze. And your heating bills would be astronomical. We just moved into a house without A/C so we will need a srmall unit, too. Just be prepared to remove it in the fall.
itlw8 11:14 AM 05-02-2014
They have some now that do not go in the window but sit on the floor. Only a hose goes out the window . Easy to install and does not block the view. Some are even heaters they cost more than the window units but work great. I bought one for my dgks room at their house that was always hot or cold.
Tags:air conditioner, thru the wall a/c
Reply Up