Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Uggh So Sick of This Family
Kimberly.lynn32 06:06 AM 06-08-2015
I need advice. I have really great families that never give me problems, respect my rules, never give me a hard time for taking a day off! However, of course besides that one family! I have a mom of my 19 mo old dcb that continuously gives me problems! First, she came to me because she wanted to know how many vacation days I had and she wanted to see proof. Which hello I gave you paperwork when she started when he was a baby! Then it's every time I take a day off we have some snippy comment to make how they don't know what they are going to do. One time my son got extremely sick started barfing up blood. I of course call the parents immediately to come get their children so I can run him to the dr. Never have I closed on them like that before. All the other parents were extremely sympathetic but of course her she wanted me to find her a drop in and then kept texting me while I was at the dr we really need to know if your going to be open tomorrow or not before I even sAw the dr 😡. Ever time I send home sick they will try to tell me the dr says they coan come back with pink eye before 24 hours and that they don't know I take his temp but he doesn't even have a fever. This is just a few of the things I have grief about. The thing that sent me over was one of my daycare moms approached me on Saturday and let me know this mom had approached on her And asked if she could ask her a personal question? That she wanted to know if her rate had changed at 18 mo and how much she was paying and that she talked to another mom that said her rate went down at 18 mo. The mom pretty much told her that's private (bless her heart). Long story short this mom is upset that I changed my policy to where her rate diesnt go down until 2 years bc we can only have 4 kids under the care of 2. Of course, the other families rate did change bc that was over 3 years ago I just changed my policy last year! Extremely upset that she is pretty much bad mouthing me to other families and potentially trying to start trouble with other families.every time she doesn't like what I enforce us she going to go talk to other my families?! I am at this point wanting to just term them but don't know the best way to do it. Any advice?
bklsmum 06:15 AM 06-08-2015
I would just tell her that she is obviously not happy with your program and policies and that you are not happy with her behavior and it's time to part ways. I would tell her she has 30 days to find new care as long as she keeps her comments to herself and does not approach other parents the way she did before and that if she chooses to do that she will be termed immediately.
Blackcat31 06:19 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by bklsmum:
I would just tell her that she is obviously not happy with your program and policies and that you are not happy with her behavior and it's time to part ways. I would tell her she has 30 days to find new care as long as she keeps her comments to herself and does not approach other parents the way she did before and that if she chooses to do that she will be termed immediately.

THIS ^^^

Tell her she has made it VERY clear that she is unhappy with how you run your business so instead of talking behind your back she simply needs to find new care. I'd give her 2 weeks personally (instead of 30 days but I know some providers give as much as a month) and if she behaves badly, rudely or says anything negative about your business during the final weeks of care, then she is termed immediately.

It's your business.....you do not have to put up with that kind of disrespect and rudeness.
Laurel 08:15 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

THIS ^^^

Tell her she has made it VERY clear that she is unhappy with how you run your business so instead of talking behind your back she simply needs to find new care. I'd give her 2 weeks personally (instead of 30 days but I know some providers give as much as a month) and if she behaves badly, rudely or says anything negative about your business during the final weeks of care, then she is termed immediately.

It's your business.....you do not have to put up with that kind of disrespect and rudeness.

I'd do 2 weeks also.

Laurel
Thriftylady 08:48 AM 06-08-2015
I agree with 2 weeks and only if she behaves. And document everything in case she gets nasty.
Shell 09:35 AM 06-08-2015

THIS ^^^

Personally, I'm not sure I could wait the two weeks and might term by the end of the week for the disrespect. But, 2 weeks is more professional and gives her more time to find a replacement.

Just wanted to add- I'm angry for you. This lady has real nerve, and I'm happy you are going to be putting her out on her butt.
Let her try and find someone else that will put up with her crap!
Kimberly_lynn32 10:56 AM 06-08-2015
My hesitation is they are really good friends with another family and then I always think what if I get a really bad family in am I going to regret terming this one 😳. Also the mom that informed me she will be upset if she knows I told the bad dc mom what she told me?
Blackcat31 11:19 AM 06-08-2015
Originally Posted by Kimberly_lynn32:
My hesitation is they are really good friends with another family and then I always think what if I get a really bad family in am I going to regret terming this one ��. Also the mom that informed me she will be upset if she knows I told the bad dc mom what she told me?
Don't include that part in examples of being disrespectful. Seems the DCM has had a lot of other disrespectful and rude behaviors that you could easily term without ever having to mention that DCM (good one) told you anything.

I wouldn't worry about getting another bad family in this space...you now know how to recognize bad behaviors and through this learning experience you get much better at interviewing and weeding out the ones that aren't a good fit.
Thriftylady 12:14 PM 06-08-2015
Don't include that part in examples of being disrespectful. Seems the DCM has had a lot of other disrespectful and rude behaviors that you could easily term without ever having to mention that DCM (good one) told you anything.

I wouldn't worry about getting another bad family in this space...you now know how to recognize bad behaviors and through this learning experience you get much better at interviewing and weeding out the ones that aren't a good fit.
AmyKidsCo 08:29 PM 06-08-2015

ITA not to say what the other mom told you. Personally, I wouldn't say anything about disrespect either, I'd just follow Tom Copeland's example: Sorry as of (date) I am no longer able to provide child care services for your child. If she asks why I'd say that my program is no longer a good fit for the child.
Controlled Chaos 08:39 PM 06-08-2015
I wouldn't think of it as terming as much as I would think of it as allowing her to move on I would also phrase it along the lines of "you should be %100 happy with your child's provider. I would be happy to provide care for your child for 2 more weeks while you find a better fit for your family."
Reply Up