Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Assigned Seating?
mamamanda 07:12 AM 06-17-2015
Anyone do assigned seating for lunch, or do the kids sit wherever they want? Just curious.
Kimskiddos 07:24 AM 06-17-2015
I have assigned seating and it kinda just happened naturally. Kiddos would argue over a certain color chair (had 2 different colors) and spot. So They each sit at a certain spot according to age. The oldest kid gets the prime spot.

Although it is cute when a kiddo I have had for years finally gets that spot, makes them very happy. A little bonus for having to loose a friend.
NoMoreJuice! 08:32 AM 06-17-2015
I have assigned seating for meals. The bickering was getting out of control, mostly between my 4/5 year old girls, about who gets to sit with whom. Every day was a fight that ended in tears, until assigned seating happened. Now, we have peace and harmony! Best thing I've ever done to promote peace.
laundrymom 09:45 AM 06-17-2015
I do so I can tailor their plates to their likes/dislikes. Everyone is offered everything but E doesn't care for certain veg but loves meat. So she gets a bit larger portion of meat and a bit smaller of veg
L loves all veg and eats fruit but would rather not. So I adjust portions to each kid. Makes it easy on me and them.
Blackcat31 09:57 AM 06-17-2015
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I do so I can tailor their plates to their likes/dislikes. Everyone is offered everything but E doesn't care for certain veg but loves meat. So she gets a bit larger portion of meat and a bit smaller of veg
L loves all veg and eats fruit but would rather not. So I adjust portions to each kid. Makes it easy on me and them.

Each of my kids has an assigned seat for the reasons listed above...

Individual needs and requirements.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:12 AM 06-17-2015
assigned- I have different boosters in varying heights so they tend to move chairs as I see fit. I do place them according to who I think they should sit next to.
childcaremom 10:21 AM 06-17-2015
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
assigned- I have different boosters in varying heights so they tend to move chairs as I see fit. I do place them according to who I think they should sit next to.

I also place them so that those that I need to sit next to are beside me.
Shell 11:07 AM 06-17-2015
My group sits wherever they want. I have a few different tables that I serve lunch/crafts/etc so we rotate tables often.
When I taught at centers, we had assigned seating and name tags- it was great for name and letter recognition.
I try to be really low key. I cater to each child's lunch like pp does, I just move it to wherever the child is sitting that day.
Heidi 11:39 AM 06-17-2015
I am guessing this is motivated by your other thread about futsing around at the table.

One thing that has helped my kids enormously is making placemats. I made very simple ones, with a plate and a cup on 8x11 paper, with each child's name in the corner in "their" color. Then, I laminated them. When they start to peel apart, I make new ones. I usually decorate them a little, too (if they kids are old enough, they could do this).

I usually have a little friend help me set the table. They choose where the placemats go, and the children sit accordingly. My group is small enough that I can be informal about it (I just pick someone-right now one of my two oldest girls, the next one done, a boy, isn't ready yet), but I know providers who have
assigned chores and a chart.

I'm incorporating some Montessori, so we are very orderly about how we set the table. First, we put the placemats down, then, we get the glasses (one at a time), and place them on the correct circles. Then, we get the plates (again, one at a time) and do the same. Then, forks.

Since I started the placemats, children as young as 14 months have "gotten" it, and kept their plate and cup where they belong. WAY less spilling, and everyone who is ready to understand that gets an open glass vs. a plastic one with a lid. The glass is heavier and less prone to being knocked over. I bought mine at a local surplus store for 59 cents each. I'm currently on the lookout for good "diner" type stoneware plates.
mamamanda 11:47 AM 06-17-2015
Originally Posted by Heidi:
I am guessing this is motivated by your other thread about futsing around at the table.

One thing that has helped my kids enormously is making placemats. I made very simple ones, with a plate and a cup on 8x11 paper, with each child's name in the corner in "their" color. Then, I laminated them. When they start to peel apart, I make new ones. I usually decorate them a little, too (if they kids are old enough, they could do this).

I usually have a little friend help me set the table. They choose where the placemats go, and the children sit accordingly. My group is small enough that I can be informal about it (I just pick someone-right now one of my two oldest girls, the next one done, a boy, isn't ready yet), but I know providers who have
assigned chores and a chart.

I'm incorporating some Montessori, so we are very orderly about how we set the table. First, we put the placemats down, then, we get the glasses (one at a time), and place them on the correct circles. Then, we get the plates (again, one at a time) and do the same. Then, forks.

Since I started the placemats, children as young as 14 months have "gotten" it, and kept their plate and cup where they belong. WAY less spilling, and everyone who is ready to understand that gets an open glass vs. a plastic one with a lid. The glass is heavier and less prone to being knocked over. I bought mine at a local surplus store for 59 cents each. I'm currently on the lookout for good "diner" type stoneware plates.
Heidi, I love this idea! Thank you so much!!! I do have a chart with assigned jobs each day and one of them is the table setter. I think I will make the placemats and place them where I want them and then have the table setter set the table in an orderly manner. Right now things just get kind of thrown around. A fork on top of a plate and covered by a napkin kind of a thing. We've been talking about what it means to be orderly so good time to introduce this. Plus, with the placemats I can choose who sits where, but still mix it up so you're not stuck in the same seat every day. Thanks again!!!
Heidi 12:08 PM 06-17-2015
Originally Posted by mamamanda:
Heidi, I love this idea! Thank you so much!!! I do have a chart with assigned jobs each day and one of them is the table setter. I think I will make the placemats and place them where I want them and then have the table setter set the table in an orderly manner. Right now things just get kind of thrown around. A fork on top of a plate and covered by a napkin kind of a thing. We've been talking about what it means to be orderly so good time to introduce this. Plus, with the placemats I can choose who sits where, but still mix it up so you're not stuck in the same seat every day. Thanks again!!!
You're welcome!

The OLDEST in my group is only 2 1/2, and they've been using placemats for about a year now. They caught on really quick. They love helping set the table, too. Our newest addition is 12 months, and he's pretty babied at home, but I'm already working with him.
daycare 12:55 PM 06-17-2015
I wish that I could, but because I have kids that are PT and FT that are attending on the same day, I can't have two names on one chair that would be needed on the same day.

Prior to a large daycare I had their names listed on everything.

Helps with meal portions as well as behavior. some kids can't sit next to others and do well, also no more fighting over which person gets which chair.

I do however require the kids sit older younger, older younger. this way the older kids can help the younger kids with their work and what not.
Controlled Chaos 01:14 PM 06-17-2015
I have too many part timers to have assigned seats. It would get confusing. They sit where they want unless Mr. J and Mr. F have lost the privileged that day then I choose for them. I haven't have an issue lately. There are 2 tables and 8 kids.
Laurel 05:34 PM 06-17-2015
Assigned seats are great. Cuts down on friction at meal/art time.

Laurel
jenboo 05:56 PM 06-17-2015
I painted all my chairs the same color.
No assigned seating for me.
DaveA 04:38 AM 06-19-2015
Assigned seating for me. I got sick of the "I wanted to sit there" stuff a long time ago.
Reply Up