Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>10mo old holding breath tantrums
Unregistered 09:25 AM 02-18-2016
I have a 10 month old boy that I watch. Almost every child that I have had I have had since infancy on up. They have all been first children. This boy, though, has tantrums beyond anything I have seen from a child of his age. He gets mad if I hold another baby, he doesn't like any map time, he has fits if someone uses an electric toothbrush or if I walk away. He screams and cries and has a habit of holding his breath. I have tried to explain to his mom that he holds his breath longer than any children I have had. He has actually nearly caused himself to pass out twice and it nearly gives me heart attacks every time. I don't think his mom really understands what I try to explain. I think at home they hover him, so they may not experience it, but I have more than one child in house. What would you suggest on how to speak to the mom? I don't know how I can keep going through this with him when I have a new baby starting in a month (who is the brother of another daycare child). Most children are okay to cry for a few minutes while I attend to another child, but his level of holding his breath to passing out makes things difficult.
Ariana 09:38 AM 02-18-2016
I would probably term a child like this. What if he does pass out, falls and hits his head? I had a toddler who used to tantrum hard and purposely hit her head off the ground by throwing her body backwards. I ended up having to let her go because it was too much of a liability.

There's not a whole lot the parent or you can do about this unfortunately. Maybe they need to find a provider with a smaller ratio or get a nanny.
Unregistered 09:44 AM 02-18-2016
My ratio is very low because there are currently only 2 children other than him. So, he made need individual attention, especially since some of his tantrums are due to jealousy.
auntymimi 10:52 AM 02-18-2016
I had a little fella (13-14 mos) who would tantrum and try to hit his head on the ground. I would just scoop him up and pop him in the pack n play until he calmed down. He was in full view of course, but I put him in a safe place and ignored it. When he calmed down, I'd pick him right up and we'd go about the day like nothing ever happened. He's stopped doing that, thank goodness.
Unregistered 11:03 AM 02-18-2016
That's what I would do normally, but he stops breathing, turns blue, and starts to arch his back. I actually gave him mouth to mouth breaths to get him to start. I find out that some kids do that and breath again after they pass out, but it's scary. It's not worrying about him falling and hurting. It's the breathing thing at 10months.
auntymimi 11:06 AM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
That's what I would do normally, but he stops breathing, turns blue, and starts to arch his back. I actually gave him mouth to mouth breaths to get him to start. I find out that some kids do that and breath again after they pass out, but it's scary. It's not worrying about him falling and hurting. It's the breathing thing at 10months.
Yeah I could see that. I'd never seen a kid that young do something like that. He's obviously learned it's a great way to get a rise out of an adult. I'd say that behavior would be difficult to combat if you were unwilling (and I get why you would be) to call his bluff.
Unregistered 12:59 PM 02-18-2016
My son did this too. Held his breath so long he'd turn blue and fall over. I'd throw cold water in his face. No permanent damage and it would shock him enough he'd take a gasp for air. Eventually he outgrew it.
Blackcat31 01:51 PM 02-18-2016
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Has this child seen a Dr to rule out any underlying medical condition?
jenboo 04:40 PM 02-18-2016
My nephew did this. Once that pass out, they start breathing again. As long as they don't hit their head, they are fine.
I wouldn't keep a child like this though do go liability
BabyMonkeys 05:52 PM 02-18-2016
My daughter did that when she was a baby. I took her to the doctor completely freaked out thinking that she was going to hurt herself. The doctor just told me that she would eventually pass out, start breathing again, and then would be just fine. Once she realized that I was going to ignore her breath holding, she stopped doing it.
Reply Up