Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To Close...or Not?
Baby Beluga 01:19 PM 03-21-2016
I would like your advice and opinions please.

DD 4 has the flu (confirmed by pediatrician today)

She is still running temps in the 101 area.

I am closed today, but should I close tomorrow as well?

I am debating on closing tomorrow or just quarantining DD to her room with movies and allowing the kids to come.

What would you do?
childcaremom 01:41 PM 03-21-2016
By flu do you mean influenza?

If yes, it is influenza, I would reopen if:

I could ensure set up so that your dd is quarantined and that you will be able to effectively supervise both your dd and the dcks.

I could disinfect common areas and toys prior to tomorrow so that spreading is minimized.

I didn't have very young dcks, or dcks who could be adversely affected by influenza.

I would also reassure parents that she will not be around the others and that you have disinfected and will be open. Also, reminding them that if their child becomes ill, that they will be excluded until they are symptom-free.

But really, I would take one extra day. Even if you just explain it to dcps that you are using the day to disinfect before they come back.

Hope your dd feels better soon!
Indoorvoice 01:46 PM 03-21-2016
Speaking from recent experience, take an extra day. My dd5 was diagnosed with influenza yesterday. I told parents if they stayed home I would reimburse the day. 3 stayed home and 1 came. I kept dd's upstairs and my daycare is down 2 floors. It was awful even if with just the one kid. Dd just wanted snuggles and to be taken care of and I felt pulled in a million directions with my other children and the one daycare kid. Take the extra day!
Leigh 02:27 PM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
I would like your advice and opinions please.

DD 4 has the flu (confirmed by pediatrician today)

She is still running temps in the 101 area.

I am closed today, but should I close tomorrow as well?

I am debating on closing tomorrow or just quarantining DD to her room with movies and allowing the kids to come.

What would you do?
Definitely close tomorrow. Your daughter needs ALL of your attention. Influenza is miserable. You may need more than tomorrow, too-it lasts quite a while.
Blackcat31 02:29 PM 03-21-2016
Personally I think its only fair to remain open if you are going to allow daycare kids to attend with similar symptoms later on... kwim?

I would close. I would probably have a different outlook if you were talking about a mild cold or stomach bug but the actual flu as in Influenza is so dangerous to be spreading and technically anyone entering (and then leaving) your home is carrying around those germs around.

I know you can pick up elsewhere but even if your DD stays in her room all day, the close proximity of you+her+DCK's makes the probability of any of them carrying or getting it is higher.
NightOwl 02:48 PM 03-21-2016
close for sure. When one of my own is ill, I tell the parents ahead of time and tell them I'm open, but come at your own risk. Usually, several stay home. But for the flu or pneumonia or something highly contagious, I just close up shop.
Baby Beluga 02:56 PM 03-21-2016
Thank you so much everyone.

This is the first time I have ever had to close due to an illness, or close last minute. I have always been able to give clients at least a couple weeks notice. I know my clients have come to rely on my reliability and I hate to let them down. I would also hate to pass this along to another child. I have had two children out ill in the past month. Both were out a week each. And my state is currently the worst state in the union for flu. Everyone in my little town has been sick, many missing 1+ week of work and/or school. It's bad here

This is the first time DD has been this sick. Ever. She is so sick the ped was contemplating admitting her to the children's hospital over the weekend because she couldn't keep any fluid in her. At one point her fever was 103.5, so being in the 101's now is good progress. And of course she is now holding down fluids. Thankfully.

Hopefully everyone is understanding and this illness ends with DD.
childcaremom 02:59 PM 03-21-2016
Originally Posted by Baby Beluga:
Thank you so much everyone.

This is the first time I have ever had to close due to an illness, or close last minute. I have always been able to give clients at least a couple weeks notice. I know my clients have come to rely on my reliability and I hate to let them down. I would also hate to pass this along to another child. I have had two children out ill in the past month. Both were out a week each. And my state is currently the worst state in the union for flu. Everyone in my little town has been sick, many missing 1+ week of work and/or school. It's bad here

This is the first time DD has been this sick. Ever. She is so sick the ped was contemplating admitting her to the children's hospital over the weekend because she couldn't keep any fluid in her. At one point her fever was 103.5, so being in the 101's now is good progress. And of course she is now holding down fluids. Thankfully.

Hopefully everyone is understanding and this illness ends with DD.
For this reason alone, I would def. take another day. Even longer.
Thriftylady 03:07 PM 03-21-2016
If it is hitting that bad in your area, I would take the extra day. Only because of how bad you say it is. It needs to be stopped, and it won't be if people keep getting it. This is coming from someone who never closes, I was even open for one family for Thanksgiving this year as nurse mom had to work. But she ended up finding other care (yay)!
BabyMonkeys 03:10 PM 03-21-2016
Poor baby I hope your daughter feels better. Definitely take the extra day off. Hopefully your clients will understand that you are closing because of an illness that is highly contagious, and you are protecting them as well as being able to care for your daughter.
Ariana 03:43 PM 03-21-2016
Let them know how serious the illness is. I don't know any parent who would fault you for taking an extra day off to tend to a super sick kid. This isn't your run of the mill cold.

Poor baby! Hope she gets better soon
Josiegirl 02:59 AM 03-22-2016
Too late to offer my open/close opinion but hope your dd recovers quickly!! Ok, gonna offer my opinion anyways. In cases such as this, put your child's needs first. And never go back to second guess yourself.
Hope you stay well too!
Tags:closed from sickness
Reply Up