Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Parents and Guardians Forum

Parents and Guardians Forum Parents and Guardians should post and answer questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 03-15-2009, 11:38 AM
md12 md12 is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3
Exclamation Do I Have To Pay Full Tuition If Child Is Out Sick?

I'm going to a daycare in Delaware starting this January. After 2 weeks of daycare my 17 month child got RSV and then pneumonia.. got complicated and we had to stay in hospital for a week.
We were out from daycare for 5 weeks and in all this time the daycare provider never called me for payment or to ask me if we are going back to them.
The contract I signed with the says that we have to pay tuition if child is out sick. It also says that after 10 days of non payment we will be expelled..
When we went back to daycare the provider asked all the money for those 5 weeks and she asked for half of the money on that day.. we had no choice and we gave her a check for $390. We tried to talk to her, maybe she will give us a discount for those 5 weeks.. but no luck. She wants all the money by the end of the month.. which is outrageous.. I can't pay $1100(for 2 months) in one month only ... I don't have these money..
I understand they have a business to run, bills to pay and teachers on payroll.. but I have also $3000 in hospital bills because my child got sick in her daycare.
I do not think is fair to us that she is so insensitive about this problem.
Because of this I want to take my child out from this daycare.. without the 2 weeks notice and tell her that she was supposed to expel my child for non payment after 10 days and not to wait for us to build such a debt.
Can she sue me for not giving her 2 weeks notice and $390 remaining balance that she claims?
Do you guys think I have a chance to fight this in court?
She never called or mailed any statement that we owe her every week full tuition.. and it was very wrong from her to wait for us to come back and then ask $650 for those 5 weeks..
If anybody knows any rules or laws about daycare charging full tuition when the child is sick, please help me with an answer..
Thank you

Last edited by md12; 03-16-2009 at 09:34 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 03-16-2009, 02:50 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Wow! Your family has really been through the wringer.
My first question is about your contract. Do you have one with your provider? Sounds like you do.
Second question. Did you keep you provider up to date on whether you would be there from day to day or even week to week?

As for all the back pay, were you just assuming your spot would be there available to you when you did need to return? Then you pay for the spot if you use it or not.

It sounds like your provider is a bit cut and dried, and that's her right. But if you have any other options, I'd give notice now and move on and try to find a more understanding provider. If you signed a contract, it could likely hold up in court.

I am a provider, and if I were in her shoes, I'd try to give you a break. I don't know how much, depends on what I could handle financially, how much I wanted to keep you as clients, and how much communication we had about the situation.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 03-17-2009, 12:04 PM
md12 md12 is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: Maryland
Posts: 3
Default

Thank you for your reply... I'm glad you are a provider...
Yes, I did sign a contract with her daycare center and yes, it says you have to pay tuition for the time your child is out sick or in vacation. I knew I have to pay for those 5 weeks but I never imagined she will be so insensitive about the situation and she will change me full tuition. Any percentage off would have been good for us but she didn't want to give us any. And what is worse... she asked to pay those $650 by the end of the month... which I think that was really mean and maybe she did it so we can leave from her.. Maybe she didn't like us or my child... I have no idea what happened.
I assure you, we are good people, we paid on time for the 3 weeks we were in daycare and we pay on time every bill we have...
I wonder why she did not send me a statement o the first week we were out sick. Like that I would have known that she is charging full tuition and I would have given her the 2 week notice and that's it... end of story... But no, she waited for me 5 weeks and then "I kept your spot for 5 weeks, you owe me $650... You have to pay by the end of month". She never called to tell me anything and I think she took advantage of us acting like that. I kept her up to date on how is my child doing and last time I called was when we were discharged from the hospital and she never mentioned anything about payment ... and very stupid of me .. I didnít ask either.
I know it can hold up in court... I think she will sue me... anyway I don't have any money... probably I'm going to end up paying her everything she is asking because I signed that contract.
That was the only thing I didnít like in that contract... that I have to pay full tuition for sick days.
My opinion is that every daycare should have other rules about sick days... we can bring proof from the doctor that the child is/was sick (if necessary) and then the provider will charge only a portion of the tuition.
You, as providers should understand the parents also (missing from work = no income and doctor/hospital bills) as we understand you about your rent, electric bills and teachers on payroll. Letís meet half way so everyone will be happy, not only the providersÖ
Iím not generalizing but Iím sure there are providers and teachers that do not care about the kids getting sick... Itís better for them, less kids = less work and they do not have any interest whipping their nose, washing their hands, etc because they are still getting paid if kids are home.
I'm sure lots of parents feel this way about this problem with sick days..
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-21-2009, 09:24 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Paying for day care even when child is sick

Yes, my daycare provider also charges for when kids are out sick and that is why my kids have been constantly sick ever since they started going there. The parents of the kids whose kids are sick and should be home are brought to day care anyway and that is why the other kids get so sick all the time.

I hate day care and I am planning on pulling my kids out ASAP. I will work at home.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-21-2009, 10:42 PM
lilbiddapopcorn's Avatar
lilbiddapopcorn lilbiddapopcorn is offline
lilbiddapopcorn
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Northern Cali
Posts: 75
Thumbs down Payment for sick days

I understand payment for sick days as a provider, BUT...if you were to go to court, you could bring up the fact that your child was very ill and you assumed after 10 days you would be expelled, because that's what our contract states. If you didn't ask her to hold a spot for you, then no, she should have abided by her own rules and expelled you after 10 days of not showing up and not paying. I believe she would lose this in court because of that clause in the contract and you need to stick to your guns if you don't want to end up paying it. I would bring that part of the contract up to her that says you'd be expelled and let her know she has no right to charge you if you didn't ask her to hold your spot. And yes, I think it's unreasonable under these circumstances to ask someone to pay that much all at once. Normally, as a provider, I did charge people for sick days because I couldn't afford not to, and most often I wouldn't get a call until an hour after I was expecting them anyway saying they were sick that day, so I planned everything assuming they would be there. At any rate, I agree with you on this one. Good luck.
__________________
Ches
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-22-2009, 07:48 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I pretty much write people off after 2 weeks of no show. I'm not one to hunt someone down after 2 weeks of not showing up, but I wouldn't hold their spot for them. I guess it kind of points out how important open lines of communication are. As to charging for days children are out sick...I buy supplies for activities and food for the amount of children I am expecting, and I would actually prefer that everyone showed up. It's really kind of a pain when you are expecting X number of children and then Y shows up. My parents pay regardless, but it can make it hard to plan. Almost makes me want to not plan because some of them obviously don't care. I keep my numbers low because I think it's a much nicer environment than having everyone tripping over each other, but it kind of bites me in the butt when I have supplies for 6 and 2 children using them. I digress, I charge for the slot, not when they are actually here or not, but I would prefer that they are here, if anything it helps with consistency and keeps things running smoother.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-22-2009, 04:44 PM
mac60's Avatar
mac60 mac60 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,597
Default

This is complicated. As a provider myself, I put in a sick policy statement in my handbook, basically if out sick...parent or child, for more than 2 weeks, then family is responsible for full payment for first 2 weeks out, then 1/2 payment for remainder, up to 10 weeks, for me to hold their spot. If more time is needed, then I would continue.

As far as providers not being paid when a child is out sick....we are only allowed so many spots, so each spot is worth so many dollars. Because a child is sick a day here and there, does not mean my expenses are any less, such as insurance, utilities, supplies, etc. It is kind of like paying rent for a spot. Think of it this way, you still have to make your rent or house payment even if you leave and go on vacation for 2 weeks. The bank or landlord does not deduct those 2 weeks you are gone. It is the same concept for providers.

Also, every one of my dc moms that I have get paid for when they are off sick, or when they take a day off for their child. They call it paid time off. Many a times I have had a parent call and say "I am playing hooky today and taking the day off". Please understand, that we as providers can not run a business like this. While I do have the policy "Pay whether you are here or not, vacation, holidays, and sick days included", and I do have a sick policy/maternity leave policy, I am considerate of situations. Just as the parent expects us to be open and readily available each and every day, we expect to be paid for our services just like you would pay your mechanic, internet bill, phone bill.

If you called your provider, told her you would be out for these weeks, and stayed in touch with her, then I would think that yes you are responsible for the payments to keep your spot, because by you doing this in my opinion shows you were planning on coming back. If you did not let your provider know you were going to be out these weeks and just didn't show up, then I would think you would be responsible for those 10 days and be out. I find her policy 10 days of no show kind of odd.

While I understand her policy, it is kind of harsh. As far as your child getting sick at daycare....how do you know that is where your child got sick. As a provider, I get so tired of hearing this. I know that I disinfect and sterilize my daycare and home much more than the average family. I don't know where you work, but who is to say that your child didn't get sick from you being exposed to something, or that your child was exposed to something in a public place. Having your child in a small home daycare is probably one of the best things you can do for them, vs a large center.

I totally understand your frustration, and would recommend you find a new provider.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 06-11-2009, 11:35 AM
FingerprintsHappen FingerprintsHappen is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 6
Default

While according to the contract that my daycare parents sign they are responsible for paying for sick days, I can't believe that in your case the provider actually asked for all of it. Why? because I'm a softie... I often don't charge for sick time, esp when I know the parent is taking sick time unpaid. Just like late fees are in my contract but I havent' charged them in 4 years!
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 06-13-2009, 07:14 AM
Former Teacher's Avatar
Former Teacher Former Teacher is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,168
Default At my former center.....

parents had to pay regardless of whether their child was there or not. While we did not have a contract, there was a signed agreement that parents would paid regardless of absents. There was also a section that stated that a 2 week notice would be required. Well, parents never read what they sign and are stunned when reality hits. Of course my former director never held them to the 2 week notice, however she was VERY firm on the weekly payments. Once there was a child who enrolled August. This family was extremely well off so they went ahead and paid up to Dec 31st. Yes, a couple thousand dollars! Well the poor thing in September contacted RSV. So she was out until January. Did the parents receive their money? No. My former director explained to them in order to reserve their space, they had to pay regardless.

This post reminds me of a family. After Hurricane Katrina, our center had taken in 2 families that were displaced due to Katrina. We offered FREE childcare. Since we were a small center we were not eligible for government help, but we felt we had to do something.

This one family whose son was 5 years old. He was a BEAST! () Anyway, they were with us for 1 week. The following Monday no call. Tues. no call, etc. no calls at all, all week. The following week we called to see what was up. We got the voice mail. No calls all week. My former director said if and when they come back, we filled his spot.

Sure enough 3 weeks later, father and son came waltzing in like it was nothing. Father wished his son a good day and was ready to walk out when I told him his place had been filled. Father was stunned. I explained to him since there were no calls and that we tried to contact him, we assumed he pulled out. He said no the boy was sick...etc etc. He then got mad at me because he had no where to put his son. I told him that if we was willing to pay for his spot I am sure we could make the space for him. He got even MORE mad at me, telling me that the family went through heck (he used another word haha) through the Hurricane and that I was inconsiderate. I told him while I was sorry for his situation but we were not in business to provide free care. BTW the other family had taken off by this time, again no call. Anyway long story short he got furious with me and took his son and left.

Another mother got very upset with me because her daughter was out sick for a week (no calls) and she came in the following Monday and she was charged a late fee. She wanted to know why she was charged a late fee plus tuition. I told her probably because she never called to let us know. Had she, maybe she wouldve just been charged the tuition. She told me she didn't feel she should pay because her daughter wasn't there. I told her that just because she didn't make a phone call everyday, she was still charged for the phone line. She, too, also wasn't happy with me!
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
Chickenhauler's Avatar
Chickenhauler Chickenhauler is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: MN
Posts: 437
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Former Teacher View Post

This post reminds me of a family. After Hurricane Katrina, our center had taken in 2 families that were displaced due to Katrina. We offered FREE childcare. Since we were a small center we were not eligible for government help, but we felt we had to do something.

This one family whose son was 5 years old. He was a BEAST! () Anyway, they were with us for 1 week. The following Monday no call. Tues. no call, etc. no calls at all, all week. The following week we called to see what was up. We got the voice mail. No calls all week. My former director said if and when they come back, we filled his spot.

Sure enough 3 weeks later, father and son came waltzing in like it was nothing. Father wished his son a good day and was ready to walk out when I told him his place had been filled. Father was stunned. I explained to him since there were no calls and that we tried to contact him, we assumed he pulled out. He said no the boy was sick...etc etc. He then got mad at me because he had no where to put his son. I told him that if we was willing to pay for his spot I am sure we could make the space for him. He got even MORE mad at me, telling me that the family went through heck (he used another word haha) through the Hurricane and that I was inconsiderate. I told him while I was sorry for his situation but we were not in business to provide free care. BTW the other family had taken off by this time, again no call. Anyway long story short he got furious with me and took his son and left.

A good way to equate this is to a job-if you don't show up for a few days or even weeks, never call, ignore and fail to return phone calls (essentially incommunicado), and show back up 3 weeks later, chances are that security is going to hand you a box of stuff that was previously contained in "your" desk/locker/cubicle.


It never ceases to amaze me the gall of some people-free daycare, no communication when kid ceases arriving, and they get mad at YOU?

md12-first, is it in the contract, did you read the contract, and were you communicating with them-keeping them updated on your status and intentions? If anything, it sounds like you owe them two weeks and nothing more.

Now, if you want to continue to bring your child there, you may have to work something out with them, but I think they should be a bit more flexible with you considering the circumstances.

Myself, I'd have handed them the check for two weeks, and told them that's all you're getting. But, then again, I'd be in search of a new daycare if I were able to pinpoint that my child was infected at their facility due to negligent housekeeping/other sick kids in attendance.
__________________
Spouse of a daycare provider....which I guess makes me one too!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 09-18-2009, 02:43 AM
denise
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Equal Responsilibility

PLease help me understand the logic in this, especailly when you are a responsilble parent and keep your kid out of daycare while he is feverish--again why am I paying for this? Help me want to keep my sick kid out of your daycare and not just have me give him a fever reducer right before I drop him off and then once the medicine wears off after 6 hours I get a call from the provider that he's sick and to come get him---at least I got my six hours--I feel like this is a tug of war and we have to meet somewhere in the middle. What I don't understand is that holding a spot is worth something when the intention behind it is to prevent the spread of the illness? If you just want your guranteed money then I just want my guaranteed service--is this whay parents send their sick kids to daycare? Well if that is true then, is it practical to say that when you don't show up or call for, let's say, for a hair appt, should you still be getting charged full price for the services I promised to render to you? I mean, I was there, I reserved a spot that you requested and you don't come--what then should I do? I've already paid my chilcare provider to watch my child that day so I could come and be there for you. If this became in undustry standard, as this has been in the chilcare arena, would everyone be OK with that? Point is Hairdressers are regulated and licensed by the state and must keep renewing licenses and provide insurance, too. Same with Doctors and missed appointments. How many of you gripe about the mere threat of a $25.00 late cancellation fee--and this is YOUR helath care provider for goodness sakes! I say you'd all be pretty irrate if you went to your hair or doctor appt and they didn't show up---wouldn't you press to be compensated for your inconvenience? If I got paid for each client who didn't come to their scheduled appt I would be very well off .....Why do chilcare providers feel they can command a guaranteed income? Why is the level of respect so much more different for certain service providers? I'd like to see these "contracts" include an incentive to NOT bring my sick kid into their home daycare and offer at least a 1-2 day sick day leave per month or quarter. It's absolutely unrealistic to think a kid would not ever miss a day due to illness and although, for most people, when you don't go to work, you don't get paid, you chidlcare providers have been able to get away with this unusual perk, because you threaten to thorw us out if we don't. SO now I see why I will now be sneding my sick kid to infest your childcare center, afterall, if all the kids get sick, you'll sit back an get paid anyway.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 09-18-2009, 04:28 AM
mac60's Avatar
mac60 mac60 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,597
Default

As a parent, if my child was sick, I felt it was my parental obligation to care for my child at home and not send them to daycare. There is a fine line when a child is too sick for daycare and should be kept home, and not feeling good and will do ok at daycare...in my opinion.

To compare me to a hairdresser or doctor, no comparison at all, especially in pay. Take the hairdresser.....she gets anywhere from $15 to $25 per 20/30 min appointment (rates in my area) for a simple haircut, I get approx $16 per day for 8 to 10 hours of caring for a child. I have a set amount of spots to fill and am only allowed so many children in my care. I can not schedule 10 kids hoping 5 will show up, because when those 10 show up I am in trouble. How I charge is no different that how the cable company, rent, or other monthly services you pay for charge. Because you were on vacation and didn't watch your cable for 5 days, you are still charged for those days. Same with daycare. You are paying for the guaranteed spot.

Now for me, when it comes to sickness, I am pretty lenient. Throwing up and diahreah, or fever, please don't bring them. Not feeling good, cold, runny nose, they can come, just send something to give them to make their day more comfortable while here, something to help control the snotty nose, or cough. As a provider, all I ask is to use good judgement when your child is sick or not feeling well.

I can say that at least 95% of my parents have sick days to use that are paid for, and they don't think twice about calling off work. If I took off as many sick days as my parents did, I wouldn't have a business.

I guess if you don't like the policy, find someplace else to go. I do know, most places charge this way.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 09-18-2009, 05:49 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

OP, you say that you were in contact with her about your child's status and progress in the hospital. So why would she assume that you were not coming back? Why would she terminate you after 10 days? You were CALLING her about your child! Why would you unless you planned to take your child back there? Which obviously you did, because you went back to drop the child off for the day and got your bill!
You can't have it both ways. Sorry. You were fully aware of the policy. The time to discuss it and work something out would have been during the 5 weeks you were out.
If she HAD terminated you after the 10 days I have a feeling you'd be here complaining about that instead.
Day care providers do not make a ton of money. We are not in this business to get rich quick. You are reserving "prime real estate" in a home day care with only so many slots available, a staff to pay possibly, expenses, Social Security, unemployment, etc, etc, etc. Ladies where is that little diddy about this that we give all of our parents? I know someone has it.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 09-18-2009, 07:53 AM
GretasLittleFriends GretasLittleFriends is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: Georgia
Posts: 936
Default

Personally, I don't charge for sick days if parents call ahead of time and keep their child/ren home sick. However, if the child is blatently ill, and contagious, and I have to call the parents to come pick their sick kid up, I'll charge for the full day. Even if their child/ren were only here for an hour or two. I do this because when they bring their infested child/ren, it subjects my family and I to their illness.

On the same note, if either of my own children or myself are under the weather, I call my parents give them as much notice as I can, and leave it up to them if they want to bring their kids in. If they opt not to bring their child, I do not charge them.

But I do have to tell you the clinic I go to, and the dentist too, do charge 100% if you make the appointment and then do not show up without giving 24 hour cancel notification.
__________________
Give a little love to a child, and you get a great deal back.

Last edited by Michael; 09-18-2009 at 09:18 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 09-18-2009, 09:06 AM
melissa ann's Avatar
melissa ann melissa ann is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 723
Default

If a provider allows 2 days per quarter per child, that can really add up if the parents use them. Which, they will whether their child is sick or not. They will be getting 2 days free so they will use them. I charge whether a child is here or not. I also have a 3 day min. rate. So, I'm lenient. If a child was scheduled for 3 days, but one of the days, the child is sick. I will allow the parent to bring the child on a different. It will still be 3 days. But, if they were scheduled for 4 or 5 days, I charge for those days child was out.
A 3yr dcb came here on Mon with runny nose and sneezing. Tue, coughs came into the picture. Wed he was starting to feel better. My kids ended up w/runny nose and sneezing. Tue I found out that grandpa had a fan on that blew over the boy while sleeping. Now, in my area, it's been in the 60/70's during the day and 50's sometimes 40's in the night. There is no need for a fan.

I don't understand how parents have no problem paying for a parking space, cable, electic, etc even when they are not using it and think nothing of it. Their children should be their most precious possession and they want to groumble over $16-$30/day if their child is not there. I charge $18 for 11 hours. Insane, I know. How many of the parents out there make that much a day for less hours?
And yes, most doctors, dentists, ect will charge even if the appt was missed.
I don't charge for my 1 week vacation, up to 5 personal days or holidays. IF I"m closed, I don't charge. If I allowed parents not to pay when they decide to keep their child home for any number of reasons. I would be broke. I might as well open a "Free" daycare at that rate.

Last edited by Michael; 09-18-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 09-18-2009, 10:05 AM
hcmom hcmom is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 26
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by melissa ann View Post

I don't understand how parents have no problem paying for a parking space, cable, electic, etc even when they are not using it and think nothing of it. Their children should be their most precious possession and they want to groumble over $16-$30/day if their child is not there. I charge $18 for 11 hours. Insane, I know. How many of the parents out there make that much a day for less hours?
And yes, most doctors, dentists, ect will charge even if the appt was missed.
I don't charge for my 1 week vacation, up to 5 personal days or holidays. IF I"m closed, I don't charge. If I allowed parents not to pay when they decide to keep their child home for any number of reasons. I would be broke. I might as well open a "Free" daycare at that rate.
DITTO, DITTO, DITTO... I completely and totally agree.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 09-18-2009, 06:10 PM
Liliya's Avatar
Liliya Liliya is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 133
Default

Originally Posted by melissa ann

I don't understand how parents have no problem paying for a parking space, cable, electic, etc even when they are not using it and think nothing of it. Their children should be their most precious possession and they want to groumble over $16-$30/day if their child is not there. I charge $18 for 11 hours. Insane, I know. How many of the parents out there make that much a day for less hours?
And yes, most doctors, dentists, ect will charge even if the appt was missed.
I don't charge for my 1 week vacation, up to 5 personal days or holidays. IF I"m closed, I don't charge. If I allowed parents not to pay when they decide to keep their child home for any number of reasons. I would be broke. I might as well open a "Free" daycare at that rate.

DITTO, DITTO, DITTO... I completely and totally agree.



Me too!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 09-19-2009, 06:09 AM
AmandasFCC's Avatar
AmandasFCC AmandasFCC is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 409
Default

"I'd like to see these "contracts" include an incentive to NOT bring my sick kid into their home daycare and offer at least a 1-2 day sick day leave per month or quarter."

I'm sorry, you want us to pay YOU when your kid is sick and you have to watch them? Are you mental?

I can count on 2 hands how many times my doctor has had to reschedule appointments on short notice because she's delivering a baby, in just 2 years of being her patient. Did I bitch and moan about this? No. It happens.

When I'm off sick, parents don't pay. I'm unable to provide a service, so I don't charge for it. If the kids are sick, I do still have to hold that space. And guess what? The mortgage company still bangs down my door for the same amount of money regardless of if your kid was sick and I didn't get paid. Same with the cable company, electric, gas, etc. I have to hold that space for you - unless by some miracle someone happens to call for a drop-in that day, so guess what, you still have to pay.

And like everyone else has said, all doctors, lawyers, chiropractors, etc. that I've been to in private practice charge AT LEAST a $25.00 missed appointment fee. SO SUCK IT UP!!!

Do you want quality care for your child? Then parents need to respect the fact that we have bills to pay, groceries, toys, and other things to buy in order to make YOUR kid comfortable throughout the day.

I've only been on this site for a month and already I'm sick of reading the griping of parents for silly things. I have to repeat everyone else here. We get paid LESS than minimum wage in most cases for crying out loud. For me for a day, it's $35.00. You can't get your nails done around here for that, and most of the parents I have wouldn't sneeze at spending over $100 on a meal out. But you want to complain because I still charge you when your kid is sick? REALLY????
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 09-19-2009, 07:42 AM
tymaboy's Avatar
tymaboy tymaboy is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: Iowa
Posts: 449
Default

I dont get paid if the kids are not in care. I would like to go to being paid but as you can tell it would cause problems with the parents I have. What really gets me is what they pay us for the day while they are at work but look at what they are willing to pay for a sitter to go out for a few hours at nite. What they pay that person is usually more then what they pay us for a full day of care but they do that happily without complaining.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 09-19-2009, 09:43 AM
mac60's Avatar
mac60 mac60 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2008
Location: Northeast
Posts: 1,597
Default

You are right, my daughter cares occasionally for one of my dc families, and they pay her $20 for maybe 5 or 6 hours of care......I only get $16 for a full day at dc. Doesn't make sense. But then, dc providers are the last person that parents want to use their money for. don't get it.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 09-19-2009, 11:38 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default put the shoe on the other foot

your answer is all too clear -

how sympathetic would you be to your employer if he expected you to work for 5 weeks for free or even 1/2 pay? i doubt you would because the bottom line is that your bills must be paid, and you count on that certain amount of money to cover them.

or more in line with your thinking - what if you showed up to work and had nothing to do that whole day?? wouldn't you expect to be paid?

also, it's not a personal matter. it's business. for a business to be strong and provide the best service possible, they must draw a line. would you be okay with the quality of your child's care being cut back because the director ignored the rules that everyone agreed to follow, and gave someone a big discount. i'm sure when you say "discount" you were not asking for 10-15%. let's say she agreed to 1/2. that's $550. where would you suggest she make LEGAL cuts to her staff, food, activities, etc. to accomodate that loss of income?
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 10-20-2009, 10:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

I wouldn't pay any of it. Greedy and no compassion. Plain and simple.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 10-20-2009, 03:05 PM
tinytotzdaycare's Avatar
tinytotzdaycare tinytotzdaycare is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 97
Default childcare payments

My policy clearly states you will pay whether your child is here or not!

HOWEVER, when I have children absent for illnes for an extended time I would rather stay home so I will generally give them a break and only charge half and sometimes NONE

its all about respect!!!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 10-21-2009, 09:24 AM
jen jen is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I wouldn't pay any of it. Greedy and no compassion. Plain and simple.
LOL! You crack me up! So, shall the provider just call the mortgage company and say, "Oh, I know I SIGNED A CONTRACT that said I would pay, but one of my daycare kids was sick so I can't." Do you think that they will have compassion, or just charge a late fee?

How about Target...If that was the providers grocery money do you think Target will feed her kids...out of compassion?

When you sign a contract you are expected to meet the terms of it. This is a business, not a charity. Here is a plan, don't sign up for things you don't intend on paying for.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 10-21-2009, 09:34 AM
cuddlebuggz cuddlebuggz is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 24
Default Tuition for Daycare

We charge even if children are out sick as well.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 10-25-2009, 06:15 PM
Former Teacher's Avatar
Former Teacher Former Teacher is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,168
Default

This subject was one of the biggest gripes I heard while I was in daycare. Parents don't understand that bills still need to be paid regardless of whether or not all the children are there or not.

I would always have to flatly tell them that tuition is due whether or not they are here. Whether we close early due to holidays, or bad weather it is still due. The biggest complaints would be around Thanksgiving because of the 4 day weekend. I would hear " I am paying you $115.00 for 3 days of care?!?!?" and things like that.

I just tell them, like many other posters, that hey, if you don't watch tv everyday you are still paying the cable company. If you don't use your phone, you are still paying them. With daycare, you are paying a spot. You don't pay for it, you can't have it.
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 10-25-2009, 07:42 PM
cuddlebuggz cuddlebuggz is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 24
Default paying

I have read many great points on both sides and I can only say this...a clear contract and illness policy is a must!!! Be sure to discuss this in writing as well as in person so that both parties are clear on what is expected, sometimes parents will take things in a contract differently than what we as providers mean...be exact and spell it out if you have to.

By all means if you have a great family and they had a bad illness give them a break, is it worth losing a GREAT family over a few bucks once a year???
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 10-26-2009, 07:20 AM
jen jen is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,808
Default

A GREAT family will understand that you too have bills to pay

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuddlebuggz View Post
I have read many great points on both sides and I can only say this...a clear contract and illness policy is a must!!! Be sure to discuss this in writing as well as in person so that both parties are clear on what is expected, sometimes parents will take things in a contract differently than what we as providers mean...be exact and spell it out if you have to.

By all means if you have a great family and they had a bad illness give them a break, is it worth losing a GREAT family over a few bucks once a year???
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 10-26-2009, 12:05 PM
cuddlebuggz cuddlebuggz is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: Iowa
Posts: 24
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jen View Post
A GREAT family will understand that you too have bills to pay
I agree, that is very true...basically the only thing to do is be firm if you are not willing to budge and put it clearly in the contract!!!
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 10-27-2009, 06:34 AM
KiddieCare
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

The original poster said that she was calling the provider and giving her updates on her child, as a provider even if it wasnt discussed unless i had a WRITTEN notice from the parent then i would assume that they were coming back because of the updates and would hold the spot for them at the full fees that they agreed too..If mom had asked for a discount during any of the phone calls i would consider it IF the parent was a good client..If the mom hadnt called the daycare at all during that time then i would have implemented the 10 day no call no show termination, but thats not what happened,
As a mother of 4 i am constantly shocked and surprised at some of the things parents do/dont do for their children..
To the poster who said she would be taking her sick child to daycare to 'stick it to her provider' for charging for sick days, 'how awfull for you poor child', that you would make a child thats not feeling well attend anything rather than stay home like a good mother and nurish and care for your child is heartbreaking.. As a daycare provider, it's parents like you who are imature,irresponsible and disrespectful that causes so much illness in daycares. If a parent knowingly medicates a child to mask a sickness so they can attend my daycare is grounds for immidiate termination with the 2 weeks termination fee owed! By ringing sick kids you are not only exposing me my family but also all the hard working other families in my care..My first thought and worries are for the kids, i hate to see a child sick, and i am truly disgusted that parents,any parents would,will and do put their wallets before that of their kids..how sad..
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 10-29-2009, 05:12 PM
ecemom ecemom is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 17
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddieCare View Post
The original poster said that she was calling the provider and giving her updates on her child, as a provider even if it wasnt discussed unless i had a WRITTEN notice from the parent then i would assume that they were coming back because of the updates and would hold the spot for them at the full fees that they agreed too..If mom had asked for a discount during any of the phone calls i would consider it IF the parent was a good client..If the mom hadnt called the daycare at all during that time then i would have implemented the 10 day no call no show termination, but thats not what happened,
As a mother of 4 i am constantly shocked and surprised at some of the things parents do/dont do for their children..
To the poster who said she would be taking her sick child to daycare to 'stick it to her provider' for charging for sick days, 'how awfull for you poor child', that you would make a child thats not feeling well attend anything rather than stay home like a good mother and nurish and care for your child is heartbreaking.. As a daycare provider, it's parents like you who are imature,irresponsible and disrespectful that causes so much illness in daycares. If a parent knowingly medicates a child to mask a sickness so they can attend my daycare is grounds for immidiate termination with the 2 weeks termination fee owed! By ringing sick kids you are not only exposing me my family but also all the hard working other families in my care..My first thought and worries are for the kids, i hate to see a child sick, and i am truly disgusted that parents,any parents would,will and do put their wallets before that of their kids..how sad..

I agree!!!

I also charge for days when the child does not come. I do offer my families 1 week per year of unpaid vacation if they schedule it ahead of time. The fact is that it is THE PARENT'S responsibility to communicate to the provider their intention to withdraw from care. If the parents are calling to update the provider of their child's status, that would indicate to me, as a provider, that they are going to be returning once the child is healthy enough, and thus, the 10 day abandonment rule, would not apply. Now if I hadn't heard from anyone in 10 days with an update, I would assume they were not coming back and I would fill the spot. In my opinion, the provider was being pretty understanding holding your spot for you for 5 weeks without payment. It is their right to request a quick payment plan. Sorry!
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 10-30-2009, 10:43 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

"PLease help me understand the logic in this, especailly when you are a responsilble parent and keep your kid out of daycare while he is feverish--again why am I paying for this? Help me want to keep my sick kid out of your daycare and not just have me give him a fever reducer right before I drop him off and then once the medicine wears off after 6 hours I get a call from the provider that he's sick and to come get him---at least I got my six hours--I feel like this is a tug of war and we have to meet somewhere in the middle."

This is why I, as a provider, have a half-rate policy for sick days. On days that a child is kept home because of sickness, I only charge half their regular rate. This way I don't go completely broke, but it gives a bit of an incentive to the parent to keep their child from infecting all of the other kids. I haven't had any long-term sickness-related absences yet, so I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it. But I definitely would not want to penalize the good parents that do keep their kids home when they're sick.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 10-31-2009, 01:16 PM
jen jen is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 1,808
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
"This is why I, as a provider, have a half-rate policy for sick days. On days that a child is kept home because of sickness, I only charge half their regular rate. This way I don't go completely broke, but it gives a bit of an incentive to the parent to keep their child from infecting all of the other kids. I haven't had any long-term sickness-related absences yet, so I'll have to cross that bridge when I get to it. But I definitely would not want to penalize the good parents that do keep their kids home when they're sick.
Good grief! What is this world coming to? We need to provide parents with incentive to take care of thier kids! That breaks my heart. Thank God I don't have a single parent, now or in my 8 years of daycare experience, that needed an incentive to WANT to be with thier child when they are ill.

Personally, as a parent I would be ashamed to suggest that I would prefer to dump my sick child on someone else as opposed to shelling out a few dollars for daycare.

I wish people would consider these things BEFORE they had kids.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 11-03-2009, 11:35 AM
canadiancare's Avatar
canadiancare canadiancare is offline
Daycare Member
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 551
Default

I charge for child's sick days and I don't charge for my sick days. My belief is that if I close you might end up out of pocket and need to make other arrangements so I don't charge. I will not be without my salary when your child is sick as others have posted my bills don't wait. I do think if you build a relationship with your provider and discuss the time your child will be away and try to work something out as early as possible rather than wait 5 weeks and be surprised they expected you to meet the terms of your agreement things would be easier now- maybe you'd have agreed on modified payment or maybe you'd have given your notice a month ago.
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 11-29-2011, 06:11 AM
mommabear
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Unfair!

My opinion on your initial question is that the provider is being a bit unreasonable. I understand that the daycare provider held a spot for the child, but whether you were in contact with them or not, after 10 days of a child being absent, they are deemed expelled. That's what it says in the contract, and that should hold up in a court of law. I wouldnt pay them a dime over those 10 days. I'd just find another daycare.

I have two daughters in daycare. I pay $300 every week, $1200 a month for child care. I wanted to take my daughters out for a WINTER holiday (1 week off for Christmas) and was told by my daycare provider that I will have to pay for that week. Going over the contract, I see that they only allow one week of vacation in the summer time. I think that is absolutely unreasonable and unfair. I gave the provider a FULL month's notice and the answer was I'd still have to pay.
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 11-29-2011, 11:19 AM
Meyou's Avatar
Meyou Meyou is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 2,705
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear View Post
My opinion on your initial question is that the provider is being a bit unreasonable. I understand that the daycare provider held a spot for the child, but whether you were in contact with them or not, after 10 days of a child being absent, they are deemed expelled. That's what it says in the contract, and that should hold up in a court of law. I wouldnt pay them a dime over those 10 days. I'd just find another daycare.

I have two daughters in daycare. I pay $300 every week, $1200 a month for child care. I wanted to take my daughters out for a WINTER holiday (1 week off for Christmas) and was told by my daycare provider that I will have to pay for that week. Going over the contract, I see that they only allow one week of vacation in the summer time. I think that is absolutely unreasonable and unfair. I gave the provider a FULL month's notice and the answer was I'd still have to pay.
Why should the provider go without pay because you chose to take a vacation?
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 11-29-2011, 11:34 AM
mickey2's Avatar
mickey2 mickey2 is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Ontario Canada
Posts: 334
Default

This thread is almost 3 years old!
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 11-29-2011, 05:50 PM
SimpleMom's Avatar
SimpleMom SimpleMom is offline
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Posts: 590
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by KiddieCare View Post
The original poster said that she was calling the provider and giving her updates on her child, as a provider even if it wasnt discussed unless i had a WRITTEN notice from the parent then i would assume that they were coming back because of the updates and would hold the spot for them at the full fees that they agreed too..If mom had asked for a discount during any of the phone calls i would consider it IF the parent was a good client..If the mom hadnt called the daycare at all during that time then i would have implemented the 10 day no call no show termination, but thats not what happened,
As a mother of 4 i am constantly shocked and surprised at some of the things parents do/dont do for their children..
To the poster who said she would be taking her sick child to daycare to 'stick it to her provider' for charging for sick days, 'how awfull for you poor child', that you would make a child thats not feeling well attend anything rather than stay home like a good mother and nurish and care for your child is heartbreaking.. As a daycare provider, it's parents like you who are imature,irresponsible and disrespectful that causes so much illness in daycares. If a parent knowingly medicates a child to mask a sickness so they can attend my daycare is grounds for immidiate termination with the 2 weeks termination fee owed! By ringing sick kids you are not only exposing me my family but also all the hard working other families in my care..My first thought and worries are for the kids, i hate to see a child sick, and i am truly disgusted that parents,any parents would,will and do put their wallets before that of their kids..how sad..
Well said.
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 12-06-2011, 06:03 PM
frgsonmysox's Avatar
frgsonmysox frgsonmysox is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Nebraska
Posts: 235
Default

when I open my daycare I plan to have parents pay regardless of whether they show up or not. They are paying for their slot - it's their choice if they care to utilize it. I can't take other kids in to fill those spots that they don't come. I lose out on income if I don't charge regardless.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 12-06-2011, 07:29 PM
Live and Learn's Avatar
Live and Learn Live and Learn is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Paradise :-)
Posts: 959
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by mommabear View Post
I wanted to take my daughters out for a WINTER holiday (1 week off for Christmas) and was told by my daycare provider that I will have to pay for that week. Going over the contract, I see that they only allow one week of vacation in the summer time. I think that is absolutely unreasonable and unfair. I gave the provider a FULL month's notice and the answer was I'd still have to pay.
Yes, it is always best to refamiliarize yourself with your daycare contract BEFORE you make plans to take a winter vacation.

Your daycare provider is completely within her rights if you signed a contract.
Reply With Quote
  #41  
Old 12-09-2011, 09:23 AM
Half-Pint Hide-Out's Avatar
Half-Pint Hide-Out Half-Pint Hide-Out is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Minnesota
Posts: 30
Default

Here is my absence policy:

"Each child will receive one absence day per day(s) they are enrolled weekly. For example, if they are enrolled 3 days per week, they will receive 3 absence days per contracted year. After all the absence days are used, you will be charged your normal daily fee. If your child will be absent from Half-Pint Hide-Out, it is your responsibility to call me, or you will be charged for a full day, as well as the $20 no-call, n0-show fee.

For each contracted year, a family may take one vacation day for each day of the week they are contracted for. A two-week written notice of this vacation period is required. If no notice, or less than two-weeks notice, is given, you will be charged your usual weekly rate. If it is more than a week of vacation, you will be required to pay your normal rate to reserve your child/childrenís place at Half-Pint Hide-Out.

For those who will be taking an extended leave from Half-Pint Hide-Out, such as teachers having summer off or those taking maternity leave, you will be required to pay a deposit of one weekís tuition before the leave starts in order to maintain your child/childrenís spot at Half-Pint Hide-Out."

I also have a very strict illness policy to prevent myself and the other children in my care from becoming sick.

All the parents sign a contract and a handbook signature page saying the understand and agree to these guidelines. I have never had any issues with anyone being upset or not paying me.
Reply With Quote
  #42  
Old 12-09-2011, 10:13 AM
Michael's Avatar
Michael Michael is online now
Admin & Owner-Daycare.com
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Moorpark CA, Ocean Ridge, FL
Posts: 7,449
Default

Welcome to the Daycare.com Forum Half-Pint! I've upgraded your status. You can post freely now.
Reply With Quote
  #43  
Old 01-10-2013, 08:37 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Yes you should pay when your child is sick because when you came back you expected

The daycare to still have a slot for you
it's only fair im also a daycare provider while the provider was out of your money for 5 weeks she could of had another client filling your slot you can't expect to still have a slot and not pay unacceptable


you should have contacted her and explain the situation its not her duty to call you should have talk to her so you could have fix the situation communication is key not enough parents communicate
Reply With Quote
  #44  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:23 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Expecting payment for services not rendered is pure greed.

I understand if there is a contract, but this is clearly a scheme to milk parents for full payment even they are not utilizing the services. If your cable goes out, by law your cable company must pro-rate your bill, and if your child is out for a day or two they should be willing and able to pro-rate your daycare bill. This kind of ridiculous policy encourages parents to bring their sick kids to school, and in turn the whole place turns into a den of sickness. Sorry greedy proprietors, some of us expect to pay ONLY for what we use.
Reply With Quote
  #45  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:44 PM
CedarCreek's Avatar
CedarCreek CedarCreek is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Texas
Posts: 1,529
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I understand if there is a contract, but this is clearly a scheme to milk parents for full payment even they are not utilizing the services. If your cable goes out, by law your cable company must pro-rate your bill, and if your child is out for a day or two they should be willing and able to pro-rate your daycare bill. This kind of ridiculous policy encourages parents to bring their sick kids to school, and in turn the whole place turns into a den of sickness. Sorry greedy proprietors, some of us expect to pay ONLY for what we use.
What cable company do you have? Dish network goes out all of the time and I still have to pay them! If you don't want to pay your provider when your child is out sick, find a provider that will work with you on that issue. Problem solved. Calm your hate.
Reply With Quote
  #46  
Old 01-30-2013, 12:51 PM
itlw8's Avatar
itlw8 itlw8 is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Missouri
Posts: 2,199
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I understand if there is a contract, but this is clearly a scheme to milk parents for full payment even they are not utilizing the services. If your cable goes out, by law your cable company must pro-rate your bill, and if your child is out for a day or two they should be willing and able to pro-rate your daycare bill. This kind of ridiculous policy encourages parents to bring their sick kids to school, and in turn the whole place turns into a den of sickness. Sorry greedy proprietors, some of us expect to pay ONLY for what we use.
There is a way around this you know... I charge 100 a week for a f/t opening I am there every day I say I will be there I do not call and say sorry I want to go to lunch today. You pay even if you do not come but you do have a f/t discount.

You can choose to pay ONLY for the time you come at $5 an hour but if I do not have room one day sorry the opening is not guarenteed for drop in hourly clients. In the long rung hourly care cost far more than f/t

Besides the cable going out is not the same. You are saying if you do not turn your tv on one day the cable company should not charge you for the service.

If I called and said I was closed to go out to lunch THAT would be like the cable is broken.
__________________
It will wait
Reply With Quote
  #47  
Old 01-31-2013, 05:57 PM
saved4always's Avatar
saved4always saved4always is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Ohio
Posts: 1,011
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I understand if there is a contract, but this is clearly a scheme to milk parents for full payment even they are not utilizing the services. If your cable goes out, by law your cable company must pro-rate your bill, and if your child is out for a day or two they should be willing and able to pro-rate your daycare bill. This kind of ridiculous policy encourages parents to bring their sick kids to school, and in turn the whole place turns into a den of sickness. Sorry greedy proprietors, some of us expect to pay ONLY for what we use.
Nice attitude. If you want on demand daycare, that is called "drop in care". And, as the pp said, that comes at a premium price and only if there is room for your child that day. If you want guaranteed daycare when you need it, you need to pay for your spot to be kept for you whether your child is there or not, if that is what the contract says. Daycare providers need a steady income just like parents do. You are not the only person with bills and a family to support.

And I am so SICK of ppl like you calling daycare providers "greedy". Many of us make around minimum wage to care for your little darlings. Believe me, no one is getting rich off of watching your kids.
Reply With Quote
  #48  
Old 02-01-2013, 12:15 PM
rmc20021's Avatar
rmc20021 rmc20021 is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Michigan
Posts: 589
Default

I am a daycare provider, and I just happened to come to the parent forum and although I didn't read all the responses, I read the posters comment and I have a couple things I'd like to say to parents.

When I began daycare in 1997 (the first time), I started out charging by the hour and quickly learned that parents were taking advantage of ME...dck going to grandma's for the day, etc. There was no way I could budget my business like that so I went to a flat contractual fee, which is due whether the child is in care or not.

What that entails, and here is an example. My hourly fee is 2.50 per hour. I charge $90.00 per week full (30-45 hours per week). If you work 40 hours per week, plus 30 minutes each way to transport, maximum time would come to 45 hours, meaning you're only paying 2.00 per hour instead of the 2.50...so it's actually cheaper if you go by contract and helps to cover those days your child is going to be missing due to illness.

I also allow each child to 'earn' one free day for each month of care they receive so as to allow them to build credit for times they may be out ill.

BUT...the situation with the poster is that they 'assumed' they were terminated after 10 days of no care. THEN WHY DID THEY GO BACK TO THE DAYCARE AFTER 5 WEEKS THINKING THEY SHOULD HAVE A SPOT AVAILABLE TO THEM!!!!!! And then blame the provider because she didn't tell them they had been terminated!!!!

Sounds to me as though they just showed up, expecting to continue care as if they had not been gone for 10 days and without having to pay for it. I'm sure if the provider had decided to terminate them and was not expecting them back that she would only have charged for the 10 days. But since the family showed up after 5 weeks, expecting to continue care...then yes, they still owe for that time as far as I'm concerned.

Now the part that upsets me is where the poster said their child got sick at the daycare home. Am I to assume this child lived in a bubble and never went any place else other than the daycare, therefor the ONLY possible way he could have picked up the illness was from daycare!!!! There is absolutely no way to tell WHERE this child became ill, where he picked up the germs...grocery store, library, cousin's house, bank, park, McDonald's...any place!!!
Reply With Quote
  #49  
Old 02-01-2013, 05:05 PM
Meeko's Avatar
Meeko Meeko is online now
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Utah
Posts: 4,214
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I understand if there is a contract, but this is clearly a scheme to milk parents for full payment even they are not utilizing the services. If your cable goes out, by law your cable company must pro-rate your bill, and if your child is out for a day or two they should be willing and able to pro-rate your daycare bill. This kind of ridiculous policy encourages parents to bring their sick kids to school, and in turn the whole place turns into a den of sickness. Sorry greedy proprietors, some of us expect to pay ONLY for what we use.
I assume you also tell your landlord that as you will be on vacation for two weeks and not actually using the home, that he only gets half the rent? And if you don't watch TV over the weekend, you call and expect a refund from your cable provider?

No? Same here.

If you want the place held open for only YOUR child....you must pay for it.
Reply With Quote
  #50  
Old 02-02-2013, 03:22 PM
julie's Avatar
julie julie is offline
New Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Alberta, Canada
Posts: 172
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
I understand if there is a contract, but this is clearly a scheme to milk parents for full payment even they are not utilizing the services. If your cable goes out, by law your cable company must pro-rate your bill, and if your child is out for a day or two they should be willing and able to pro-rate your daycare bill. This kind of ridiculous policy encourages parents to bring their sick kids to school, and in turn the whole place turns into a den of sickness. Sorry greedy proprietors, some of us expect to pay ONLY for what we use.
No, no scheme here. You are paying for a spot, plain and simple. Your logic with the cable company is flawed. If a service provider is unable to provide a service that you have agreed upon in the contract, then yes, I agree it should be pro-rated as in the cable company. But this is not what is happening here. The care provider was open and able to provide services the entire five weeks the OP was in the hospital. The parent was calling and giving updates which I assume made the provider think she was interested in keeping her spot, otherwise, why call if she was planning to cut and run? The provider also probably thought it was in poor taste to mention money on these phone calls because the kid was still sick in the hospital, and she probably thought the parent would do the right thing after the kid was better. So when she does finally ask for the 5 weeks of missed income which she could have filled with another family in the time she had held the spot, the parent balks, wants a discount and is now planning on leaving with NO NOTICE. I would require payment by the end of the month too if I did something nice and the parent acted like that to me! What did the provider do to deserve that besides hold the space and expect to be paid for it?

It is attitudes like these and situations like these that turn daycare providers from nice, flexible, generous people into purely business women/men with no exceptions. When you open your heart to families and try your best while trying your best to provide an income for your own family and the best people can say is that we are "greedy proprietors" trying to "milk" the parents? Uhhh, if I was trying to be greedy, maybe I would be charging a wee bit more than 3.50 an hour, hon. But good luck with that.
Reply With Quote
  #51  
Old 02-02-2013, 03:52 PM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,919
Default

Hey! Speak for yourselves ladies! I AM running a scheme! A giant scheme to milk my daycare parents out of every dime I possibly can!

Seriously, I charge the same rate every day all with no credit for any absences or missed days.

I charge families who attend the least amount of time the most amount of money.

I also charge families for my vacation time. I close for 5 days in the summer and 5 days over Christmas and charge my families for this time.

I don't drive a new car. It's actually 3,000 miles past needing an oil change.

I don't live in a million dollar home. Heck, the value of my home isn't even in the 6 figures area.

I don't have credit cards and have NO idea how people manage to get money back from the IRS because they sure take alot from me at tax time every year.

I recycle everything I can...NOT because I care about the environment....it's so I don't have to pay a fortune for city garbage pick up.

I pay more for medical insurance each month than one daycare family pays me for two months of full time care.

I have never been to Disney Land, Paris or Hawaii.

I have had ONE sick day in 20 years.

I have no plan for retirement other than death.

So yes, it is VERY clear that I am running a scheme to milk my daycare parents for every dime I can....isn't it obvious????
Reply With Quote
  #52  
Old 02-02-2013, 04:50 PM
Former Teacher's Avatar
Former Teacher Former Teacher is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USA
Posts: 1,168
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackcat31 View Post
Hey! Speak for yourselves ladies! I AM running a scheme! A giant scheme to milk my daycare parents out of every dime I possibly can!

Seriously, I charge the same rate every day all with no credit for any absences or missed days.

I charge families who attend the least amount of time the most amount of money.

I also charge families for my vacation time. I close for 5 days in the summer and 5 days over Christmas and charge my families for this time.

I don't drive a new car. It's actually 3,000 miles past needing an oil change.

I don't live in a million dollar home. Heck, the value of my home isn't even in the 6 figures area.

I don't have credit cards and have NO idea how people manage to get money back from the IRS because they sure take alot from me at tax time every year.

I recycle everything I can...NOT because I care about the environment....it's so I don't have to pay a fortune for city garbage pick up.

I pay more for medical insurance each month than one daycare family pays me for two months of full time care.

I have never been to Disney Land, Paris or Hawaii.

I have had ONE sick day in 20 years.

I have no plan for retirement other than death.

So yes, it is VERY clear that I am running a scheme to milk my daycare parents for every dime I can....isn't it obvious????


The more I read from you BC the more I you!
Reply With Quote
  #53  
Old 02-03-2013, 08:19 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackcat31 View Post
hey! Speak for yourselves ladies! I am running a scheme! A giant scheme to milk my daycare parents out of every dime i possibly can!

Seriously, i charge the same rate every day all with no credit for any absences or missed days.

I charge families who attend the least amount of time the most amount of money.

I also charge families for my vacation time. I close for 5 days in the summer and 5 days over christmas and charge my families for this time.

I don't drive a new car. It's actually 3,000 miles past needing an oil change.

I don't live in a million dollar home. Heck, the value of my home isn't even in the 6 figures area.

I don't have credit cards and have no idea how people manage to get money back from the irs because they sure take alot from me at tax time every year.

I recycle everything i can...not because i care about the environment....it's so i don't have to pay a fortune for city garbage pick up.

I pay more for medical insurance each month than one daycare family pays me for two months of full time care.

I have never been to disney land, paris or hawaii.

I have had one sick day in 20 years.

I have no plan for retirement other than death.

So yes, it is very clear that i am running a scheme to milk my daycare parents for every dime i can....isn't it obvious????
lol!!!!
Reply With Quote
  #54  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:20 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default fairness

I searched this answer for the reason my daughter became sick and I was asked to pay for the week she was out.
Reading both sides it becomes apparent that there are issues on both ends. I see the daycare's logic now on only having so many available spots (this point was new to me) and not being able to recooperate these losses when a child becomes sick. As far as expenses go the day cost is $40 and they do not provide meals or care supplies. Parents must provide this daily.

I talked with my provider ahead of signing the contract to better understand her policies. I agreed to a weekly pay basis so that I could give notice if my child would be out and daycare requires a two week notice which I agree is fair. They also allow a "drop in rate" for days not planned at an extra $2 each day not planned ahead. This allows for me to have care in the event I said she would be out and plans change. If i cannot plan over even a week ahead for my child being sick how could I agree to paying a month ahead? This way we are both able to plan atleast for vacation purposes etc although there is no planning for a child being sick ever.

At this time I do not get PTO so if my child is contagious she can not be taken anywhere for care so the monies I would have available to pay the daycare are lost on my since I would be out of work. If providers KNOW kids WILL get sick I feel it is only fair to allow some room for this. It IS greedy to know that kids will get sick and expect full payment mainly in the case of providers that charge a monthly rate. If a parent pays a month rate ahead is it not obvious they were planning to bring the child for care otherwise? It is only fair to allow some room for this by requiring proper communication as with some form of advance notice (24-48 hours or more possibly) and /OR a reduction in fees for that week that a notice WAS given. I think this keeps the parents to a degree of responsibility (communication on the parents part and not expecting the daycare to lose money completely). On the daycare end they are able to plan how many kids may be there a day OR even that week and possibly make staff arrangements for the possibility that some other kids may be out as well. I called my provider to let them know my plans and that my child would be out all week (she had the pox). They plan weekly staff in this case and I think it would be fair to reduce that weeks fees (not waive entirely) since the services in fact were not offered but I do expect my child to return (spot reserve) so give and take in this case comes from both ends. They would still have to pay rent to stay open etc but they are also receiving kids at their location so the utilities are not being left on only for my child.

The logic that the daycare will have fees and not use them on their end (as in the case of the phone and cable bill) also applies to the daycare as well do they not??
Reply With Quote
  #55  
Old 05-09-2013, 10:23 AM
daycare's Avatar
daycare daycare is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Moderator
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Mars
Posts: 16,021
Default

this is wayyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy old???? 2009
Reply With Quote
  #56  
Old 01-13-2020, 04:36 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Angry Daycare

Explain to me why when the daycare accepts payment from the state (BCAP)for services that they are only paying day to day. How is that fair? I find this to be ridiculous. At least these facilities should prorate the cost.
Reply With Quote
  #57  
Old 01-13-2020, 05:28 AM
dolores's Avatar
dolores dolores is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2017
Location: New York
Posts: 85
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Explain to me why when the daycare accepts payment from the state (BCAP)for services that they are only paying day to day. How is that fair? I find this to be ridiculous. At least these facilities should prorate the cost.
Because payment is for spot (which is being held up for child) and not attendance. This should be noted in contract. It is like rent/mortgage. Let's say you go away on vacation for a week, you still have to pay the month's rent/mortgage and not just for the days you were home.
Reply With Quote
  #58  
Old 01-13-2020, 06:03 AM
Blackcat31's Avatar
Blackcat31 Blackcat31 is offline
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 18,919
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Explain to me why when the daycare accepts payment from the state (BCAP)for services that they are only paying day to day. How is that fair? I find this to be ridiculous. At least these facilities should prorate the cost.
This is something you should discuss with the facility that you attend.
Is it written into their contract that you pay regardless of absences and you signed the agreement then it's fair.

If they only charge parents for attendance and it's written that way in the contract then you need to talk to their billing department.

It all depends on what your contract says.

I don't understand why parents don't read what they are signing....until they have a complaint.
Reply With Quote
  #59  
Old 01-13-2020, 10:58 AM
Vesta's Avatar
Vesta Vesta is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Illinois
Posts: 105
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Explain to me why when the daycare accepts payment from the state (BCAP)for services that they are only paying day to day. How is that fair? I find this to be ridiculous. At least these facilities should prorate the cost.
Because centers and individuals make the decision to bite the bullet and acquiesce to the states rules to their detriment in order to keep state clients. I donít think itís right they donít get paid for the days the child is out sick.
A slot is a slot.
Itís part of the reason I no longer work with the state.
I read the rules, I didnít agree with them, so I chose not to participate.
Between that and just getting paid after the fact when the state can manage to scrounge up the money, itís not worth the paperwork and anxiety.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
2009, absence, absence policy, dead horse, notice, read your daycare contract, real costs of providing care, sick, tuition, tuition breakdown

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Charging on Holidays Interested Parents and Guardians Forum 343 12-26-2019 06:28 AM
Lingering DCD Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 48 08-26-2014 08:45 AM
FINALLY Got a Full Time Child...But... JeepGirl6 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 6 07-12-2012 03:30 PM
Possibly Sick Child and Annoying Parent TGT09 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 03-17-2010 11:48 AM
Payment When Provider Is Out Sick Unregistered Parents and Guardians Forum 18 02-16-2009 01:07 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 10:39 PM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming