Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-04-2016, 11:27 AM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default Refunding 7 Weeks of Holding Fees

So I have an ex-family, that moved and is now back in town, that was supposed to start siblings in early February, after maternity leave, but it's now April and mom is still job searching. They have moved their start numerous times and i am constantly reaching out for updates. Today they said it could be into May or June before the kids start. After they changed their start date 3 times I finally nailed them down on a contract for a deposit and holding fee (1/2 weekly rate per week to hold). Now that they are pushing the date again I just want to release the spots to the waiting list and cut my loses. I'm out nearly $5,400 keeping those spots open for them since Jan 1st. They have paid around $1,200 over the last 7 weeks to hold them. If I tell them I'm opening the spots to the waiting list and they can contact me once mom finds work to see if I have availability would you refund all of their holding fees and deposit? I know they will ask. My contract is very detailed but I don't have anything about whether the holding fee is refundable because I always assumed those folks would eventually attend. Any advice?
Reply With Quote
  #2  
Old 04-04-2016, 11:36 AM
Leigh's Avatar
Leigh Leigh is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 3,816
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So I have an ex-family, that moved and is now back in town, that was supposed to start siblings in early February, after maternity leave, but it's now April and mom is still job searching. They have moved their start numerous times and i am constantly reaching out for updates. Today they said it could be into May or June before the kids start. After they changed their start date 3 times I finally nailed them down on a contract for a deposit and holding fee (1/2 weekly rate per week to hold). Now that they are pushing the date again I just want to release the spots to the waiting list and cut my loses. I'm out nearly $5,400 keeping those spots open for them since Jan 1st. They have paid around $1,200 over the last 7 weeks to hold them. If I tell them I'm opening the spots to the waiting list and they can contact me once mom finds work to see if I have availability would you refund all of their holding fees and deposit? I know they will ask. My contract is very detailed but I don't have anything about whether the holding fee is refundable because I always assumed those folks would eventually attend. Any advice?
Here's my opinion. That money pays for the use of the spots. They've been using the spots for free or at a discount for some time. What I would do is give them 2 weeks to start full time or lose all monies paid to date. Let them know that it's too expensive for you to continue to lose income while waiting on them.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 04-04-2016, 11:37 AM
mommyneedsadayoff's Avatar
mommyneedsadayoff mommyneedsadayoff is online now
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 1,751
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So I have an ex-family, that moved and is now back in town, that was supposed to start siblings in early February, after maternity leave, but it's now April and mom is still job searching. They have moved their start numerous times and i am constantly reaching out for updates. Today they said it could be into May or June before the kids start. After they changed their start date 3 times I finally nailed them down on a contract for a deposit and holding fee (1/2 weekly rate per week to hold). Now that they are pushing the date again I just want to release the spots to the waiting list and cut my loses. I'm out nearly $5,400 keeping those spots open for them since Jan 1st. They have paid around $1,200 over the last 7 weeks to hold them. If I tell them I'm opening the spots to the waiting list and they can contact me once mom finds work to see if I have availability would you refund all of their holding fees and deposit? I know they will ask. My contract is very detailed but I don't have anything about whether the holding fee is refundable because I always assumed those folks would eventually attend. Any advice?
For me, a holding fee is not refundable. The deposit could be refunded, but the point of a holding fee is to make income while you wait for them to attend full time. Many ask for full weekly fees to hold the spot, so I think because you asked for half, you are feeling the burn of waiting on them to utilize the full spot. I would give them one last chance. Tell them they have till XX date to begin attending or the spot will be given to someone else and the deposit will be refunded.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 04-04-2016, 11:38 AM
Scribbles's Avatar
Scribbles Scribbles is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Southern California
Posts: 102
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So I have an ex-family, that moved and is now back in town, that was supposed to start siblings in early February, after maternity leave, but it's now April and mom is still job searching. They have moved their start numerous times and i am constantly reaching out for updates. Today they said it could be into May or June before the kids start. After they changed their start date 3 times I finally nailed them down on a contract for a deposit and holding fee (1/2 weekly rate per week to hold). Now that they are pushing the date again I just want to release the spots to the waiting list and cut my loses. I'm out nearly $5,400 keeping those spots open for them since Jan 1st. They have paid around $1,200 over the last 7 weeks to hold them. If I tell them I'm opening the spots to the waiting list and they can contact me once mom finds work to see if I have availability would you refund all of their holding fees and deposit? I know they will ask. My contract is very detailed but I don't have anything about whether the holding fee is refundable because I always assumed those folks would eventually attend. Any advice?
I would not refund anything.
A holding fee is payment for holding the space which you did.
I would simply tell them you are no longer going to hold it.
I hold spots for up to 6 weeks ant tne fee I charge for that is not refundable. I charge a two week deposit on top of the holding fee and will refund that if notice is given (2 weeks) but otherwise I won't refund anything.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 04-04-2016, 12:11 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scribbles View Post
I would not refund anything.
A holding fee is payment for holding the space which you did.
I would simply tell them you are no longer going to hold it.
I hold spots for up to 6 weeks ant tne fee I charge for that is not refundable. I charge a two week deposit on top of the holding fee and will refund that if notice is given (2 weeks) but otherwise I won't refund anything.
This is great advice along with what the others said. I'm just going to tell them I'm not holding the spots any longer and not refund anything except maybe the deposit. Thanks !
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 04-04-2016, 12:36 PM
Thriftylady's Avatar
Thriftylady Thriftylady is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Ohio
Posts: 5,887
Default

I agree, not refundable. Give them a date to either start or loose the fee. On the contract, and paperwork for holding fee is there a start date listed? If so I would use that date.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 04-04-2016, 06:28 PM
Unregistered
Guest
 
Posts: n/a
Default

As a dcp I would not expect a refund
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 04-04-2016, 07:13 PM
Febby's Avatar
Febby Febby is offline
Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Location: Kentucky
Posts: 484
Default

I agree with everyone else, holding fees are not refundable. If there's a start date on their contract, I would require them to either start paying your full fee or lose the spots.

On a side not, in my experience in the horse boarding industry, most barns charge full price or almost full price (80-90%) for their holding fees, which are usually not refundable. And that's typically on top of a deposit, which is usually another 1-2 months of board fee, depending on their required notice period.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 04-05-2016, 05:47 AM
childcaremom's Avatar
childcaremom childcaremom is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: May 2013
Posts: 2,969
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
So I have an ex-family, that moved and is now back in town, that was supposed to start siblings in early February, after maternity leave, but it's now April and mom is still job searching. They have moved their start numerous times and i am constantly reaching out for updates. Today they said it could be into May or June before the kids start. After they changed their start date 3 times I finally nailed them down on a contract for a deposit and holding fee (1/2 weekly rate per week to hold). Now that they are pushing the date again I just want to release the spots to the waiting list and cut my loses. I'm out nearly $5,400 keeping those spots open for them since Jan 1st. They have paid around $1,200 over the last 7 weeks to hold them. If I tell them I'm opening the spots to the waiting list and they can contact me once mom finds work to see if I have availability would you refund all of their holding fees and deposit? I know they will ask. My contract is very detailed but I don't have anything about whether the holding fee is refundable because I always assumed those folks would eventually attend. Any advice?
As someone else suggested, I would get that start date in writing. Let them know that you are unwilling to extend the date at all and that the holding fees are non-refundable. Put that all in writing.

Then tell them that you expect the first full tuition payment by x date. If tuition payment is not received, the spot(s) are forfeited and no fees will be refunded.

I have a form for my holding fees. It is stated on there 3 times that the fee is non-refundable for any purpose. Also, that the start date may not be changed. I suggest moving forward that you stipulate that any holding fees are non-refundable and that the start date may not be changed. Any changes are subject to your approval (or not) and that changes via the parents may result in loss of fees and availability.

I'm sorry. That stinks.
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 04-05-2016, 05:50 AM
EntropyControlSpecialist's Avatar
EntropyControlSpecialist EntropyControlSpecialist is offline
Embracing the chaos.
 
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: A toasty environment!
Posts: 7,430
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by childcaremom View Post
As someone else suggested, I would get that start date in writing. Let them know that you are unwilling to extend the date at all and that the holding fees are non-refundable. Put that all in writing.

Then tell them that you expect the first full tuition payment by x date. If tuition payment is not received, the spot(s) are forfeited and no fees will be refunded.

I have a form for my holding fees. It is stated on there 3 times that the fee is non-refundable for any purpose. Also, that the start date may not be changed. I suggest moving forward that you stipulate that any holding fees are non-refundable and that the start date may not be changed. Any changes are subject to your approval (or not) and that changes via the parents may result in loss of fees and availability.

I'm sorry. That stinks.
Great advice.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 04-05-2016, 06:06 AM
Cat Herder's Avatar
Cat Herder Cat Herder is offline
Advanced Daycare.com Member
 
Join Date: Dec 2010
Posts: 12,308
Default

I would tell them that I held their slot at half price for the maximum amount of time. Starting 04- 11-2016 they will be charged at the full time rate. Their actual start date is entirely up to them.

Oh, as is the rule for all other full time clients, two week notice of termination will also apply.
__________________
- Unless otherwise stated, all my posts are personal opinion and worth what you paid for them.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
deposits, fees, holding fees, holding space, holding spots

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may post new threads
You may post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
3 weeks, Is it worth it? small_steps Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 10 01-07-2014 08:52 AM
Holding A Spot With Pay But Paying Late, Keep Them? MCC Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 16 09-07-2013 01:30 PM
Return Check Due To NSF And The Fees That Follow.... Unregistered Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 9 01-15-2013 06:51 AM
Mom Gave 2 Weeks Today After Saying She'd Be Permanent! MarinaVanessa Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 8 07-12-2010 07:31 PM
Holding fees mac60 Daycare Center and Family Home Forum 5 07-22-2009 05:12 PM


All times are GMT -7. The time now is 12:52 AM.



Daycare.com         Find A Daycare         List Your Daycare         Toys & Products                 About Us

Daycare.com
Please read our Disclaimer before continuing.

Topics pertain mainly to the following States:

Alabama Alaska Arizona Arkansas California Colorado Connecticut Delaware District of Columbia Florida Georgia Hawaii Idaho Illinois Indiana Iowa Kansas Kentucky Louisiana Maine Maryland Massachusetts Michigan Minnesota Mississippi Missouri Montana Nebraska Nevada New Hampshire New Jersey New Mexico New York North Carolina North Dakota Ohio Oklahoma Oregon Pennsylvania Rhode Island South Carolina South Dakota Tennessee Texas Utah Vermont Virginia Washington West Virginia Wisconsin Wyoming