Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Where Do You Draw The Line On Colds?
MamaJ 05:25 AM 09-19-2011
It's pretty clear when to send a child home if they have a fever, rash, etc. but what about colds?

Do you allow a child with a cough to stay? We've had colds at our house over the weekend, so I'm pretty sure what dkg has is what we have.

She has a cough, and a runny nose...sometimes clear, sometimes thick/yellow-ish. Her mom is picking up at noon today as she has a half day of work....would you allow her to come back tomorrow under these circumstances?

Colds happen so often this season, and can last for well over a week...so do you keep a dck out until it's completely gone?
KEG123 05:37 AM 09-19-2011
All my kids had a cough/cold nearing the end of last week and the one who's back today has a cough still as well. I think that as long as the cough isn't really bad/thick/whoop sounding and it isn't causing them to throw up, it's ok.
PitterPatter 05:40 AM 09-19-2011
Originally Posted by MamaJ:
It's pretty clear when to send a child home if they have a fever, rash, etc. but what about colds?

Do you allow a child with a cough to stay? We've had colds at our house over the weekend, so I'm pretty sure what dkg has is what we have.

She has a cough, and a runny nose...sometimes clear, sometimes thick/yellow-ish. Her mom is picking up at noon today as she has a half day of work....would you allow her to come back tomorrow under these circumstances?

Colds happen so often this season, and can last for well over a week...so do you keep a dck out until it's completely gone?
Children suffering from a common cold are assessed on an individual basis. The younger the child the more difficult it is to keep the spread of germs down. It just depends on the age and how well the child can manage their symptoms. If their nose is constantly running and they aren't able to wipe it or blow etc then they have to go home as I can't sit beside them constantly wiping them and the toys. Thick yellow-green I send home now, I learned my lesson from that. It's not allergies . Coughing again depends on the age if they can try to cover they can stay but if they are couging in kids faces all day they have to go home. Of course fever of 100 goes and vomit and diarreah go home as well.
Cat Herder 06:01 AM 09-19-2011
For me the policy does not change regardless of what virus the child has. I use the standard:

Sick children are to be kept home according to CDC Guidelines. No child will be admitted with any combination of fever, green nasal/eye discharge, weeping rash, N/V/D or symptoms of communicable illness. Children must be fever/symptom free for 24 hours before return to care. All children in care must have a current 3231 immunization form on file and may be required to submit a signed Doctors Release.

Please read and follow the recommendations printed in the enclosed CDC Recommendation Chart. If children present with symptoms at drop-off or become sick while in care, I will call parents and emergency contacts in the order they are listed on your enrollment forms. I will wait a maximum of 20 minutes between calls, as I have limited time to do so. Sick children are expected to be picked up immediately and not to return until 48 hours symptom AND fever free.

Now this leaves a bit of room for your discretion. With coughs I exclude if it is productive, excessive or interfering in enjoyment of scheduled activities. If they are not well enough to participate, they need to go home.

IMHO, Childcare is well care.
Tags:colds, cough - too much, coughing, illness policy, sick policy
Reply Up