Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need support
Unregistered 10:17 AM 05-05-2009
I just want to quit! I love this job most of the time. I have three children of my own, 12, 3 and 1 and it is a blessing to be able to be at home and work at the same time (although sometimes a blessing in disguise). But right now, the group of kids that I have is outrageous. The older ones don't get along with each other, they fight all day long. The 2 babies are HORRIBLE screamers. If they are not being held or eating, they are screaming....and NO, neither one sleeps!
Thanks Just needed to vent!
mrs.meg 09:25 AM 05-06-2009
I have been there, and felt exactly the same way that you do. It took me over 6 months to get used to watching kids. I only have 1 full time and 1 part time right now, so I have it pretty easy. I think it is hard to care for other people's children, it just takes a long time for some of us to get used to it. My first time around, I know I was watching too many and I got burned out very quick. I have tried to take it slow and just ease into it this time. Also, I have to be very firm about the kids behavior, that is most of the problem I have had, their behavior is just unacceptable. That is stressful. Are you being firm with their behavior, my opinion is that you just have to be, or the kids and the parents will try to run your home. I know it is hard, but you are right, getting to stay home and care for your own children is a huge benefit. I hope it gets better for you!
Unregistered 10:52 AM 05-06-2009
how old are the babies? There is a definate problem w/ a baby that doesn't sleep. Ask the parents how they are putting the babies down for nap on the weekends (ie: are they sleeping in the carseat?) If so, this is the problem. I have had parents who let their children sleep in the carseat so when I try to lay them flat in a crib, all they do is scream. Try putting one in the carseat and see if they fall asleep, then you will know the answer...but make sure you have them secure w/ the seatbelt and where you can easlily see them. Try putting a fan in the room, one that makes noise... I put the bathroom fan on during nap when I have infants, and the background noise helps them sleep. Remember, you are tougher than they are and if you lay them down, let them cry themselves to sleep...if they are fed and clean, there is nothing wrong with them crying a bit. In about a week, you will see that they will learn to fall asleep on their own. I have had kids that when I got them, they didn't sleep at all (and the parents told me they only nap about 15 minutes over the weekend), these same babies now nap for me for 3 hours every afternoon from 12-3. I do know how you feel...I have a 2 1/2 month old starting in 2 weeks and I am not looking forward to breaking her in on the nap routine. The mom has already told me she lets her fall asleep on her chest and won't sleep any other way.
Reply Up