Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Parents and Guardians Forum>Switched From Home DCP to a Center
happymom 09:51 AM 07-15-2015
I'm not sure how many of you work in centers but I am struggling a bit with our recent change.

My 3 year old started at a child care center on Monday so today is only his 3rd day. The first day it took him 1hr 20min to fall asleep at nap time. He hasn't napped in over a year, so I knew moving him to a center that required 2 hours of rest time could be challenging. It didn't occur to me that he would be crying on his mat for that long. He told me his teacher came and rubbed his back and he fell asleep. On his report it stated that he had a great day but with difficulties at nap time.

Day 2 he did not nap at all according to his report, but it also didn't say anything in his report regarding his nap time. He tells me he didn't cry (but he also tells me that he took a nap that day....and he's also 3....so you really never know)

What I am trying to learn is when is an appropraite time to talk to his teacher? When I pick him up in the afternoon, his main teacher has gone home for the day and someone else gives me his report. I am working to encourage him to take a nap when the other kids do, I did my best to prep him for it, but I am not having the greatest understanding of how new kids adjust to big changes like this. I don't want him to be a problem and keep other kids awake, etc.

I'm really open to them doing for him what works best for their program, and I want to be able to help, but what's the best way? When I call during the day to find out how he is doing I talk to the office manager at the front desk, she can see him through her window and check on him for me, but I don't really know how to work with them to tackle potential problems like I did with my old DCP (who I am missing terribly right now!! LOL)

Any advice? I'm not sure sure what's appropraite in our new setting and trying to feel it out. Have any of you worked in centers like this before?
Tags:home to center
Up