Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Greeting Parents at the Door
Core12 07:15 AM 09-13-2018
Just wondering if you guys greet parents at the door or do they just walk in?
My mom and I watch nine kids under three years old. I don’t think it’s necessary to go to the door everytime.
The parents are accustomed to standing inside the door with their one and two yr olds while I’m talking to other parents or holding an infant. It gets on my nerves.
I want to just yell, “come in” is that bad? Even if I’m sitting on the couch l, maybe I’m conserving my energy.
We have a slab home without an entry way and I would just love a solution to this
Kimskiddos 07:20 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
My mom and I watch nine kids under three years old. I don’t think it’s necessary to go to the door everytime.
The parents are accustomed to standing inside the door with their one and two yr olds while I’m talking to other parents or holding an infant. It gets on my nerves.
I want to just yell, “come in” is that bad? Even if I’m sitting on the couch l, maybe I’m conserving my energy.
We have a slab home without an entry way and I would just love a solution to this
I am the opposite! It really bugs me when a parent wants to just walk into my house/playroom! Luckily for me I have 3 windows that look out onto the driveway so can see them as they pull up. I meet them at the door with a ready to go kiddo and most rarely even step inside. I like it like that. Of course my group is small so not too many drops off/pick ups.
Core12 07:25 AM 09-13-2018
I basically would be ok if they just left ASAP...no walking through my home either ...just drop smile and go away.
Snowmom 07:31 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Core12:
It's funny you mentioned this because I just recently had my annual licensing visit and one of the questions the county asked my families was "are you greeted in a friendly manner each day?"
I read that and just thought "why is that ANY of their business?" It's just one more way for them (licensing) to appear to be in control of us to our clients. And of course, I had a whiner family say "no, she ignores us and stays in the kitchen" (I used to make BREAKFAST first thing in the AM ).

I do tend to say "Good Morning" to the child. The child is who my attention is always on. In my new home, I prefer to walk children into our day instead of the parent. So, I don't let them past the entrance, so technically, yes, I do greet them.
jenboo 07:36 AM 09-13-2018
Parents just walk in. If I'm the other room i will yell hello to them, finish what I'm doing and come and greet them and get the kiddo. I think it would be weird to not greet the parents.
sharlan 07:47 AM 09-13-2018
I have one of each.

Dcg's mom stands at the door and rings the bell, even if I'm walking to the door. She never steps inside.

Dcb's parents know the door code and walk right in.

I'd rather they just walk in.
Blackcat31 08:00 AM 09-13-2018
I am lucky that I have a separate space for parents to enter. They enter immediately into a cubby area that limits their ability to access the rest of the house by a half door gate.

It works great!

I prefer parents just walk in. Don't knock...just walk in.
Every time some one knocks, the entire group of kids I have stops what they are doing and comes over to the gate to see what's going on.... so I prefer parents simply walk in.

I've noticed over the years that some providers like parents to knock. Some providers don't like parents that knock.
Some providers like to micro manage drop offs and others are super flexible. Some providers greet parents prior to entry, where other providers have parents come on in and basically join in all the activities.

Like every thing else daycare, it's all in how YOU run/operate YOUR business. So the best advice I have for this situation and the way I solved my issues (I don't like knocking and I prefer drop and go. super simply, super easy) is to literally take the time during the tour/interview to "show" parents what I want drop off and pick up to look like.

I literally "pretend" to be them and physically go through the steps of dropping off/picking up.

I will say:

"This is what drop off looks like for my program.

Parents walk in.

Don't knock (I explain why) and they assist their child in taking off their coats/shoes and hanging them up in their lockers.

Then they kiss/hug them and say goodbye.

The parent then opens the gate (kids aren't allowed to touch it....I explain as I go along any policies I have pertaining to drop off/pick up) and send their child inside. Drop off is the same thing in reverse. Do you have any questions?"

So I physically perform the actions for them so that when they do their first drop off, they know exactly what to do.

I didn't always do that whole song/dance but after a few years of parents not really "getting it" I realized that I had to SHOW them verses tell them or assume they would pickup social cues from others.

It's been a good thing and has kept my drop offs/pick ups fairly stress free.
Baby Beluga 08:01 AM 09-13-2018
I keep my door locked, so I answer it and greet them at the door.

I have a chime that lets me know when someone pulls in to the driveway or is on the front porch so I usually get to the door before they knock or ring. Only time they have to wait is if they arrive while we are outside or during a bathroom break. In the morning the parents sign their child in while the child takes their shoes off. During this time I do a quick visual assessment of the child and ask how their night and morning were. We then wish mom/dad a good day at work, close the door and go about our day.
Jupadia 08:38 AM 09-13-2018
I use to be on the side of knock and I'd yell come in. (My entrance is on my stairs so you go up 3 stairs to living space or down rest of flight to basment daycare. But then I was feeling with a pregnancy that made me slow and then trying to feed my newborn and I did not want to leave parents in rain or cold waiting. So I unlock door and parents come in. Most give a quick knock first, and wait for me to call out. But some just come in .
Ariana 08:42 AM 09-13-2018
My personal opinion is that not greeting a family is a bit rude. I greet every parent during drop off and pick up, it’s how we communicate with each other so for me it is a necessity.
littlefriends 10:18 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I am lucky that I have a separate space for parents to enter. They enter immediately into a cubby area that limits their ability to access the rest of the house by a half door gate.

It works great!

Every time some one knocks, the entire group of kids I have stops what they are doing and comes over to the gate to see what's going on.... so I prefer parents simply walk in.

I've noticed over the years that some providers like parents to knock. Some providers don't like parents that knock.
Some providers like to micro manage drop offs and others are super flexible. Some providers greet parents prior to entry, where other providers have parents come on in and basically join in all the activities.

Like every thing else daycare, it's all in how YOU run/operate YOUR business. So the best advice I have for this situation and the way I solved my issues (I don't like knocking and I prefer drop and go. super simply, super easy) is to literally take the time during the tour/interview to "show" parents what I want drop off and pick up to look like.

I literally "pretend" to be them and physically go through the steps of dropping off/picking up.

I will say:

Parents walk in.

Don't knock (I explain why) and they assist their child in taking off their coats/shoes and hanging them up in their lockers.

The parent then opens the gate (kids aren't allowed to touch it....I explain as I go along any policies I have pertaining to drop off/pick up) and send their child inside. Drop off is the same thing in reverse. Do you have any questions?"

So I physically perform the actions for them so that when they do their first drop off, they know exactly what to do.

I didn't always do that whole song/dance but after a few years of parents not really "getting it" I realized that I had to SHOW them verses tell them or assume they would pickup social cues from others.

I’m sooooo jealous of your setup!!
I greet every parent but just quickly and go back to what I was doing unless there’s something I specifically need to talk to them about. If drop off takes too long I find my kiddos start to get antsy and a few want to start getting up to no good if they think they can get away with it since the adults are talking. I like for mine to just walk in, sign in, say bye and get out as quickly as possible.
Laugh and Learn 10:27 AM 09-13-2018
Mine walk in, then I go over and great them and the kiddo, as it helps keep thing moving in the morning. I have a separate entrance and all one big room. So it works for me.
Michael 10:32 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

It works great!

I will say:

Parents walk in.

You always post great info. Would you mind tagging these kinds of advice with “BlackCat”? I do the same for NannyDe and Tom Copeland. You should be writing your own book about Daycare.
littlefriends 10:35 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Michael:
You always post great info. Would you mind tagging these kinds of advice with “BlackCat”? I do the same for NannyDe and Tom Copeland. You should be writing your own book about Daycare.
She definitely should!!
BrynleeJean 10:43 AM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Michael:

This is good advice

Im happy to take it. Anything to make drop offs and pick ups smoother
Tags:blackcat, drop off policy, greet, parent interaction
Reply Up