Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Need To Vent
melissa ann 07:12 AM 06-22-2011
Here it is, after 10 and I'm still waiting for kids. I have one family today. Normally they are here around 9. Well, a little before 9 mom texts to say they will be here by 10. She has off today but will bring the kids to make my 3 day min. Well, she texted me a little bit ago to say they are still at the restuarant waiting for their food! I am furious. The kids will not eat lunch if they are still waiting for breakfast. The whole day is shot. Sure, I will get paid for the day even if they are here a couple of hours, but I prefer them being here all day because I have things planned throughout the day. If this would have been yesterday, we would not have waited to go to story time at our library. I'm ready to say, don't bother showing up.
lil angels 07:20 AM 06-22-2011
oh that stinks waste your whole day because you are there anyway. Parents think oh well you are here for us just because and you can wait and wait and wait. It doesn't matter what you had planned. At least you can give them a very small lunch and put them to bed. I would rather they be eating out than still in bed.
CheekyChick 07:25 AM 06-22-2011
Originally Posted by melissa ann:
Here it is, after 10 and I'm still waiting for kids. I have one family today. Normally they are here around 9. Well, a little before 9 mom texts to say they will be here by 10. She has off today but will bring the kids to make my 3 day min. Well, she texted me a little bit ago to say they are still at the restuarant waiting for their food! I am furious. The kids will not eat lunch if they are still waiting for breakfast. The whole day is shot. Sure, I will get paid for the day even if they are here a couple of hours, but I prefer them being here all day because I have things planned throughout the day. If this would have been yesterday, we would not have waited to go to story time at our library. I'm ready to say, don't bother showing up.
This may or may not help...

My motto is, I am here for you (the parent). If the parent wants to bring their children to breakfast. Great! If the kids only want a light lunch. Great! If the parent decides to bring them for only a few hours. Great! If the parent wants to keep them home. Great! I am here to make THEIR lives easier. I am here from 7:30 a.m. to 5:45 p.m. and whatever they need - I am here for them.

My suggestion is that you take things in stride. Don't let the "little things" get you down. There are so many HUGE things you could worry about. This is peanuts in the grand scheme.
Meeko 07:42 AM 06-22-2011
It sounds as if she IS keeping in touch with calls and texts etc. I only get annoyed when parents don't call at all and I have to chase them to see if they are going to be there for the day. Also...does she know she is the only client of the day? She may be thinking you are busy with other kids anyway.

Honestly......I would be grateful you have a mom who WANTS to spend time with her kids and has taken them to breakfast in a restaurant. No matter how good the provider, NOTHING is more important to a child that spending time with their parents. Too many parents just can't wait to unload their kids as soon as humanly possible each day. This sounds like a good mom who enjoys spending time with her children.

I understand that you are annoyed at waiting around...I would be too......but that's just the breaks. The mom has a perfect right to decide to have breakfast with her little ones.

Just sigh and smile!!
WDW 08:06 AM 06-22-2011
A different spin... enjoy getting paid for not having the kids there as long. I understand about waiting but if you are getting paid the same amount either way.... I would make the most of it and get something done.
wdmmom 08:14 AM 06-22-2011
Look on the bright side...

Less dishes for you to wash and they won't be there long before it's naptime!

Sounds like an easy day and easy money!
sharlan 08:18 AM 06-22-2011
I would just go about your day, doing whatever you want until the kids get there. I would be thrilled that the mom was spending time with the kids. I would also be thrilled to have some alone time to play on the computer or read a book, or even clean out the fridge.

This isn't something I'd fret about.
boysx5 08:20 AM 06-22-2011
yes I look at as if I'm getting paid and I do things around my house makes for a shorter day when they get there its that much closer to nap time
mac60 09:41 AM 06-22-2011
I don't blame you for being frustrated. This goes under that respectful and considerate rule, which obviously, some people have a hard time following. Whether you get paid for it or not is not the issue. It is frustrating just sitting and waiting and waiting for someone. I understand it is hard to go on about your day when you are unsure what your day is going to entail. It is really not like you can go clean a closet out while you wait around for them, or go do something constructive on your maybe day off. I would be frustrated too.
Ariana 04:36 PM 06-22-2011
In my contract I have written in that children cannot be dropped off any later than 9am. Otherwise my whole day is messed up and we want to go out to the park etc. If they don't show before 9am I still get paid. Of course I do make exceptions for appointments and things like that but it's at my discretion.
melissa ann 05:33 PM 06-22-2011
They finally showed up at quarter till 11. Mom had off Mon, today and tomorrow. I have a 3 day min rate so on the week she has 3 days off she still brings the kids 3 days because she has to pay for it anyway.
My daycare is in a different part of where I live. My house is set up into 3 apts. I live in 1/2 the house and the daycare is in the 1st floor apt. Had I known I would have had to wait almost 2 hours past their normal time, I would have planned around that.This is a busy week for me, as we have Vacation Bible School in the evenings. So, today I could have done some cleaning, laundry etc since I dont' have time this evening to do it.
Thank you, Mac for your understanding.
Ariana, I like your policy. I may have to add that. This summer I do have activities planned and we have to leave in the morning.
This is not the 1st time this has happened by this family. If boyfriend drops off the kids, they will tell me 7 and it could be 8-8:30 until they show up.
cheerfuldom 05:41 PM 06-22-2011
I enforce some stipulations. If you tell me a time, that is when I will be here for you. If you don't call me BEFOREHAND and keep me updated, I may not even be home if we go to the park or whatever. For me, this particular situation is not acceptable. If you have random plans for the day, at least say you don't know when you will be here instead of saying 8 and then at 8:15 call and say 9 and then at 9 call and say......blah blah blah. No its not a big deal in the grand scheme of things but often, the parents that are doing this sort of thing are pushing other policies too. As for her taking the kids out to eat, why not just keep them home all day? It sounds like they were scrambling all morning to make sure the kids had some time at daycare since they paid for it but it probably would have been much less stress just to keep them for the day, you know?
Auntie 05:45 PM 06-22-2011
I love that all kids need to be dropped off before 9.

Any later than that is really distruptive to the flow of the morning.
Tags:late arrivals, vent
Reply Up