Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Breastmilk Storage
misol 08:26 PM 01-31-2010
First, let me say that I am an avid supporter of breastfeeding. Both of my children were exclusively breastfed and I still breastfeed my 17 mo old daughter before bedtime.

Now, I have a new family who starts tomorrow and the mom breastfeeds the 6 month old so she will be supplying expressed breastmilk for him each day. Ok, so that's wonderful. My problem is that I am getting a little hesitant about storing her (or anyone else's) breastmilk in my family's fridge. Back when I used to express my milk, I would store it in an insulated bag with reusable freezer packs so I didn't need a fridge when I pumped at work, etc. Also, there was never an occasion where I had to store my milk in the fridge of anyone that was not a relative.

Human milk is essentailly just like any other bodily fluid. I certainly wouldn't store the blood or urine of another woman in my fridge. I know that's an extreme example but you get my drift.

I think I have already made the decision to get a mini fridge to be used exclusively for this purpose but I am wondering what your thoughts are on this. Am I just being too dramatic?
Reply
gbcc 02:47 AM 02-01-2010
For me, once I thought about the benefits for the child I got over the idea it was a bodily fluid from a women. I asked parents to bring a lunch cooler to store the milk in and then I would put that in my fridge. That way if anything leaked or spilled it would spill in the bag for mom to clean up not me!
Reply
mac60 03:20 AM 02-01-2010
Good idea, I would ask her to get one of those small insulated lunch bags to keep the bottles in. I had a mom once who brought me frozen breast milk in those stupid bag bottles. Gosh I hated them, they leaked a lot. I kept the bags in a big zipper bag in the freezer.
Reply
Persephone 06:17 AM 02-01-2010
I agree about asking her to bring a small lunch bag to put them in. Or maybe get one of those plastic shoe boxes to out in your fridge to set them in. You could leave the lid off and set them in there, that way if they leak it ends up in the box and not all over the place.
Reply
Unregistered 07:22 AM 02-01-2010
When my children were still breastfeeding, I would make their bottles for the day and send already prepared, capped bottles with them to their daycare home every day. Can you request your parent do the same? This would eliminate you having to handle the breastmilk at all.
Reply
laundryduchess@yahoo.com 07:33 AM 02-01-2010
I disagree,.. Breastmilk expressed correctly is sterile and like necter from heaven. I have never, not once in 20 years of childcare given a second thought to having breast milk in my fridge. Breastmilk isnt going to contaminate anything in your fridge. I wouldnt go making cookies with it but to risk it spoiling because you are afraid of someone elses 'germs' in your fridge. Breast milk can be stored in the freezer or fridge. My parents supplied it in the bags you put in a playtex bottle, dated and labeled. I would take it out when needed, gently warm the bag by submersing in acoffee cup of warm water and serve it. I just put it in a rubbermain container so none of MY items contaminated it. That was my fear,... harming that milk. I am a crunchier Momma than alot,.. I breastfed, cloth diapered and co slept with my children. I would never dream of keeping someones breastmilk seperate because I was afraid of contamination. But that is me,.. Im a little old school I guess.
Reply
Persephone 07:39 AM 02-01-2010
I think think anyone was saying not to put it the fridge, but something for them to put it in, in the fridge.
Reply
misol 07:49 AM 02-01-2010
After the dad droppped the kids off this morning I felt much better. The mom sent the milk and it was already in individual bottles and she had them in a small plastic bag. So, all I had to do is pop off the cap and feed. For some reason I was thinking that she would be supplying her milk in those infamously leaky storage bags and that I would have to do a lot of handling when preparing bottles.

I like the idea about the small lunch cooler becasue that's what I used to use for my own milk. I have quite a few of those on hand so I will use them. Whew I was all worked up for nothing. I am canceling the mini fridge

I am going to update my policies to say that breastmilk needs to be supplied in individual bottles and that formula needs to premixed and in individual bottles as well.

I'm good to go! Thanks.
Reply
gbcc 08:54 AM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
I am going to update my policies to say that breastmilk needs to be supplied in individual bottles and that formula needs to premixed and in individual bottles as well.

I'm good to go! Thanks.
Check with your lisencing rules. Here parents are not allowed to premix. If they are on formula I have to prepare it when needed and I need a release that clearly states how to prepare it. They can use the prepared concentrate, but that is very expensive and not right to mandate they use concentrate.

Also, we are not allowed to microwave and not all babies will drink milk from the fridge. Some may need to use the bags so that you can heat the milk up in warm water.
Reply
Persephone 09:00 AM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
Check with your lisencing rules. Here parents are not allowed to premix. If they are on formula I have to prepare it when needed and I need a release that clearly states how to prepare it. They can use the prepared concentrate, but that is very expensive and not right to mandate they use concentrate.

Also, we are not allowed to microwave and not all babies will drink milk from the fridge. Some may need to use the bags so that you can heat the milk up in warm water.
I know when I worked at the daycare center the parents had to make the bottles in the building. They could not bring them from home pre-made. They made them right when they got there.
Reply
misol 11:17 AM 02-01-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I disagree,.. Breastmilk expressed correctly is sterile and like necter from heaven. I have never, not once in 20 years of childcare given a second thought to having breast milk in my fridge. Breastmilk isnt going to contaminate anything in your fridge. I wouldnt go making cookies with it but to risk it spoiling because you are afraid of someone elses 'germs' in your fridge. Breast milk can be stored in the freezer or fridge. My parents supplied it in the bags you put in a playtex bottle, dated and labeled. I would take it out when needed, gently warm the bag by submersing in acoffee cup of warm water and serve it. I just put it in a rubbermain container so none of MY items contaminated it. That was my fear,... harming that milk. I am a crunchier Momma than alot,.. I breastfed, cloth diapered and co slept with my children. I would never dream of keeping someones breastmilk seperate because I was afraid of contamination. But that is me,.. Im a little old school I guess.

laundryduchess - I consider myself a semi-crunchy mama which is why I kind of surprised myself for feeling that way. I breastfed both my kids beyond a year, wore my children in a sling, we coslept, I made all their baby food from organic, whole foods, and used chemical free products. The only reason I didn't continue to use cloth diapers was because the daycare that I wanted to use when I went back to work wouldn't do cloth diapers. I even had an unplanned homebirth!

That being said, I understand the importance of breastfeeding and would NEVER risk spoiling any mother's "liquid gold". I know how hard it is to get that milk and every drop counts. I was just saying that I considered keeping it separate from my family's food, that's all. I guess in addition to being a little crunchy, I am a bit of a germophobe too

For the record though, according to the Center for Disease Control, HIV and other serious diseases CAN be transmitted through breastmilk. I don't know of any documented cases where a person HANDLING said milk has contracted anything. I think the major risk is to the infant who is DRINKING the milk.

gbcc and persephone - Good call. I just checked our regulations and
it says that any prepared formula has to be labeled with the child's name and kept in the fridge.

Look like we can use a microwave too - the milk just has to be shaken and tested before feeding tot he baby. I always use a bottle warmer or warm running water though because microwaving destroys the nutrients in breastmilk.
Reply
jen 10:03 AM 02-02-2010
Originally Posted by laundryduchess@yahoo.com:
I disagree,.. Breastmilk expressed correctly is sterile and like necter from heaven. I have never, not once in 20 years of childcare given a second thought to having breast milk in my fridge. Breastmilk isnt going to contaminate anything in your fridge. I wouldnt go making cookies with it but to risk it spoiling because you are afraid of someone elses 'germs' in your fridge. Breast milk can be stored in the freezer or fridge. My parents supplied it in the bags you put in a playtex bottle, dated and labeled. I would take it out when needed, gently warm the bag by submersing in acoffee cup of warm water and serve it. I just put it in a rubbermain container so none of MY items contaminated it. That was my fear,... harming that milk. I am a crunchier Momma than alot,.. I breastfed, cloth diapered and co slept with my children. I would never dream of keeping someones breastmilk seperate because I was afraid of contamination. But that is me,.. Im a little old school I guess.
I'm with you...I have had lots and lots of breastfed babies and this has never crossed my mind...
Reply
gbcc 02:04 PM 02-02-2010
Originally Posted by Persephone:
I think think anyone was saying not to put it the fridge, but something for them to put it in, in the fridge.
I think you are right Persephone, no one said NOT to put it in the fridge. Everyone has suggested putting it in a cooler that is placed in the fridge. That is not discriminating against breastmilk and in fact, in this state is the law. Breast milk and medications must be separated from other products in the fridge by a barrier or you must buy a separate fridge. Someone got confused and thought the suggestion was to just keep it in the cooler, which is not accurate.
Reply
misol 03:28 PM 02-02-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
I think you are right Persephone, no one said NOT to put it in the fridge. Everyone has suggested putting it in a cooler that is placed in the fridge. That is not discriminating against breastmilk and in fact, in this state is the law. Breast milk and medications must be separated from other products in the fridge by a barrier or you must buy a separate fridge. Someone got confused and thought the suggestion was to just keep it in the cooler, which is not accurate.
Ladies, thanks so much for clarifying. I have been using the cooler in the fridge and am quite comfortable doing that. gbcc - that's interesting. What state are you in? Do your state regs say why it has to be kept separate?
Reply
tenderhearts 03:56 PM 02-02-2010
In all my years doing daycare I've only had 2 mom's breastfeeding and brought the milk. They both had them already in little bottles and all I had to do was warm it (bottle) in water then put a nipple on that bottle, I never had to transfer the milk from one place to another. This mom also brought the little bottles in a insulated case that I stuck in the fridge.
Reply
gbcc 04:03 PM 02-02-2010
Originally Posted by misol:
Ladies, thanks so much for clarifying. I have been using the cooler in the fridge and am quite comfortable doing that. gbcc - that's interesting. What state are you in? Do your state regs say why it has to be kept separate?
I live in NY. The reason I received was because the breast milk can hold transmittable diseases. We are supposed to treat it like blood and dirty diapers essentially. If it is in just a bag, it can leak and contaminate other items in the fridge. I have not researched the percentage of likelyhood, I just take it as word and treat it as it with universal precautions. They probably started it because there are some lazy people that if it leaked they would just rinse off the carrots and feed them to the kids!

Oh, and the same reason for medication. If it leaks it can be harmful to children and they can reach most items in a fridge if you are not paying attention
Reply
Lucy 10:18 PM 02-02-2010
I have a mom for whom I've watched 2 kids from birth up. She breastfed both. What she did was put the milk in ice cube trays, then fill gallon size ziplocs with the frozen cubes for me to use. We used the large mouth bottles so that the cubes would fit right in. Each cube was just about 1 ounce, so it was easy to measure. I would just plop in the appropriate number of cubes and warm it in a bottle warmer that she provided. I'd tell her when I was getting low on cubes and she'd bring more. She wrote the date on the ziploc. It can be frozen for 6 months. Put leftover bottles in fridge for up to 24 hours. Never use the microwave.
Reply
Unregistered 04:38 AM 02-03-2010
i am in NY and it doesnt say anything about keeping breast milk in a seperate container in the fridge, or a seperate fridge. only medication. could you tell me where in the regs it says that about breastmilk? i'd hate to get in trouble.....
Reply
gbcc 06:32 AM 02-03-2010
I don't know where in the regs it is written, I never looked it up. When I did my CACFP visit she asked where my containers for breast milk and medication would be stored so they were away from food. I had to show her my container that was labed refridgerated medication and just told her parents would supply the cooler for breast milk and that was sufficient. It was my staff nurse that gave me the reason why they had to be seperated.
Reply
Unregistered 03:08 AM 02-04-2010
oh, o.k.

you know whats funny....i hear about all these rules and all the hell other licensors put providers through. my licensore comes in, sits down at my table chats me up, and thats it. i just had a CACFP visit, and she never got up to look at anything. and if i have a question for her, she never knows the answer. i guess i should be glad i have it easy...
Reply
misol 06:51 AM 02-04-2010
You should thank your lucky stars
Reply
Former Teacher 06:53 PM 02-04-2010
Originally Posted by gbcc:
For me, once I thought about the benefits for the child I got over the idea it was a bodily fluid from a women. I asked parents to bring a lunch cooler to store the milk in and then I would put that in my fridge. That way if anything leaked or spilled it would spill in the bag for mom to clean up not me!
That's how we did it!
Reply
Tags:breastfeeding, breastmilk, medication, microwave
Reply Up