Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Need Some Ideas
Jessixa85 06:44 PM 09-13-2018
Hello I am new here and to the daycare scene. I recently was hired at a daycare after my husband passed away. As it was only job that made sense with having kids myself.. I am the new cook at my local daycare. I have to admit cooking is by far easy compared to the CACFP rules and such.. I feel very overwhelmed as alot of what they had been serving prior isnt allowed and now it's up to me to revamp and find new foods that are approved. I live in michigan and have so many questions.. can someone please take some time to help me so I know my kids are eatting good foods and that they are approved for the food program. I tried to call my state organization but no answer..
Like what are the best snacks that are store bought and creditable for the food program.. I'm so lost and the paper work they gave me counters what's allowed and not..
Blackcat31 08:38 PM 09-13-2018
Originally Posted by Jessixa85:
Hello I am new here and to the daycare scene. I recently was hired at a daycare after my husband passed away. As it was only job that made sense with having kids myself.. I am the new cook at my local daycare. I have to admit cooking is by far easy compared to the CACFP rules and such.. I feel very overwhelmed as alot of what they had been serving prior isnt allowed and now it's up to me to revamp and find new foods that are approved. I live in michigan and have so many questions.. can someone please take some time to help me so I know my kids are eatting good foods and that they are approved for the food program. I tried to call my state organization but no answer..
Like what are the best snacks that are store bought and creditable for the food program.. I'm so lost and the paper work they gave me counters what's allowed and not..
Start here: https://www.michigan.gov/mde/0,4615,...656---,00.html

You are welcome to post your specific questions too...
I’m sure someone can answer as we have several Michigan providers and alot of really knowledgeable members
Jessixa85 06:28 AM 09-14-2018
I just am not sure if certain items are creditable for the daycare.. and my rep said some where yet the new paper she gave is just countering what she had said before.. I'm new to this so I am lost..
Some snacks they are giving which were prior to my employment are as follows..

Animal crackers
Non whole grain goldfish
Non WG Ritz crackers
Non WG cheez its
Graham crackers

And then was curious if I do let's say a grain and dairy Snack for credit does the grain have to be a WG if I had served WG at lunch??
Leigh 09:57 AM 09-14-2018
Originally Posted by Jessixa85:
I just am not sure if certain items are creditable for the daycare.. and my rep said some where yet the new paper she gave is just countering what she had said before.. I'm new to this so I am lost..
Some snacks they are giving which were prior to my employment are as follows..

Animal crackers
Non whole grain goldfish
Non WG Ritz crackers
Non WG cheez its
Graham crackers

And then was curious if I do let's say a grain and dairy Snack for credit does the grain have to be a WG if I had served WG at lunch??
One WG per day is the minimum requirement, so all of the crackers that you listed would be creditable if you had served WG at another meal. I TRY to use WG as much as possible, but I find that breakfast is the easiest time to meet the requirement (WG cereal, WG muffins, WG pancakes, etc).
Tags:cacfp, meal preparation
Reply Up