Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Menus, Breakfast, Lunch and Snack Ideas>Non Dairy Milk for Food Program (no soy)
BGM 06:16 AM 08-25-2018
Has anyone found a non soy milk alternative to please both the food program folks and my ultra-crunchy parents?
It has to have:

276 mg calcium
8 g protein
500 (IU) vitamin A
100 (IU) vitamin D
24 mg magnesium
222 mg phosphorus
349 mg potassium
.44 mg riboflavin
1.1 mcg vitamin B12
LysesKids 04:26 PM 08-25-2018
Originally Posted by BGM:
Has anyone found a non soy milk alternative to please both the food program folks and my ultra-crunchy parents?
It has to have:

276 mg calcium
8 g protein
500 (IU) vitamin A
100 (IU) vitamin D
24 mg magnesium
222 mg phosphorus
349 mg potassium
.44 mg riboflavin
1.1 mcg vitamin B12
As far as I know, there isn't a Non Soy option even if a child has a medical statement; part of why I dropped the program.
Leigh 07:58 AM 08-26-2018
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
As far as I know, there isn't a Non Soy option even if a child has a medical statement; part of why I dropped the program.
Medical statements are allowed. I have served rice milk and almond milk with medical statements (the statements will be something like NO dairy milk---substitute almond milk). As long as it is in the order, the food program has accepted it for me.
Leigh 07:58 AM 08-26-2018
Originally Posted by BGM:
It has to have:

276 mg calcium
8 g protein
500 (IU) vitamin A
100 (IU) vitamin D
24 mg magnesium
222 mg phosphorus
349 mg potassium
.44 mg riboflavin
1.1 mcg vitamin B12
You'll not be able to serve anything other than dairy or soy unless you have a medical statement.
ellen211 08:59 PM 08-26-2018
Originally Posted by Leigh:
Medical statements are allowed. I have served rice milk and almond milk with medical statements (the statements will be something like NO dairy milk---substitute almond milk). As long as it is in the order, the food program has accepted it for me.
Yeah I agree. Been doing the same process and the program accepted it.
Blackcat31 06:39 AM 08-27-2018
https://fns-prod.azureedge.net/sites...P17_2016os.pdf

Page three under Fluid Milk Substitutes:

Non-Dairy Beverages

For children or adults who cannot consume fluid milk due to non-disability medical or other special dietary needs, non-dairy beverages may be served in place of fluid milk. This
has been in effect since September 15, 2011 and allows the CACFP to better serve the dietary needs of its participants.

Non-dairy beverages must be nutritionally equivalent to
milk and meet the nutritional standards for fortification of calcium, protein, vitamin A, vitamin D, and other nutrients to levels found in cow’s milk.

The nutrient standards for non-dairy beverages are outlined in the CACFP regulations at 7 CFR 226.20(g)(3). As stated above, non-dairy beverages served to children 1 through 5 years old must be unflavored due to the higher sugar content of flavored varieties.

CACFP State agencies have the discretion to identify appropriate substitutions that meet these requirements. FNS encourages CACFP State agencies to coordinate with the State agency operating the National School Lunch Program to ensure that the identified locally available substitutions are consistent among the Child Nutrition Programs.

Parents, guardians, adult participants, or a person on-behalf of the adult participant, must provide a written request for the non-dairy milk substitution that is nutritionally equivalent to milk. A medical statement is not required. For example, if a parent has a child who follows a vegan diet, the parent must submit a written request to the child’s center or day care home asking that soy milk be served in place of cow’s milk. The written request must
identify the medical or other special dietary need that restricts the diet of the child or adult.

Non-dairy beverage substitutions are served at the option and the expense of the center or day care home.

A medical statement is required for non-dairy substitutions due to a disability that do not meet the nutritional standards of cow’s milk as described above. Requiring non-dairy beverages to be nutritionally equivalent to cow’s milk ensures children receive vital nutrients needed for growth and development.

A medical statement for non-dairy beverages that are not nutritionally equivalent to cow’s milk provides the assurance that the beverage substitute is meeting the nutritional needs of the child or adult participant.

The requirements related to milk or food substitutions for a participant who has a disability and who submits a medical statement signed by a licensed physician or a licensed health care professional who is authorized by State law to write medical prescriptions remain unchanged.
LysesKids 11:45 AM 08-27-2018
Originally Posted by ellen211:
Yeah I agree. Been doing the same process and the program accepted it.
Glad to know because a few years ago my Foster baby could only have Almond milk ( medical note too) & my sponsor denied the meals anyway. I may look at getting back on it as I have another babe that can't have dairy or soy, so I feed almond milk & coconut milk yogurt
BGM 06:35 PM 09-03-2018
Thank you guys! I ended up contacting my sponsor and she got me set up with some medical statements to have parents fill out. So far, my food program folks have been really great. I hope it stays that way!
Tags:food program - menu, food program - milk
Reply Up