Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Does Anyone Know Anything About Gag Reflux?
daycare 04:15 PM 09-08-2011
So I have looked everywhere online but have had no luck finding what I am looking for. I have a DCG that has gag reflux. I have a doctors note on file stating so.

Well today we ate carrots, celery with peanutbutter and yogurt, along with some wheat crackers. In normal situations when the child has experienced gag the vomiting took place while eating or right after eating.

Well today about 2 hours after eating DCG throws up everything she just ate, plus milk (eeeeww). More throw up than you could ever imagine.

So I have been trying to search if this is normal for gag reflux or should I be getting ready for the flu and excluding the child from DC? Normally I allow this child to puke twice before having to go home.

I guess because i have never really understood what causes GR or how to prevent it, I just don't know what to do in this situation.
Michael 04:22 PM 09-08-2011
Maybe something here: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=reflux
nannyde 04:46 PM 09-08-2011
http://main.zerotothree.org/site/Doc...3_Chatoorv.pdf

I only allow one vomit and they go home. I would exclude if a child vomited two hours after eating.
sharlan 08:05 PM 09-08-2011
Isn't this the same child that vomited last week?
daycare 09:40 PM 09-08-2011
Yup! Gotta love it! Except last time it was the flu. I got it and so did both of my older kids. Ugh. And now more vomit on My carpet to clean up.
morgan24 04:22 AM 09-09-2011
I have a granddaughter that had really bad gag reflex. With her gag reflex it was when she was eating not 2 hours later. I would tell dcm if she vomits when eating she can stay but if it's a couple of hours later she has to go.

My granddaughter even gagged when she brushed her teeth. When she was at the dentist she was gagging and she had her tap one finger on the chair and that helped to distract her. We started doing that when she felt like gagging when she was brushing her teeth or anything else. She also started to see the chiropractor and the gagging is gone.
wdmmom 06:50 AM 09-09-2011
I have a DCB (21 months) that supposedly has gag reflux too. He has vomited several times and each time I call and send him home.

It got to the point that I told DCP's that if the vomiting continued, I would have no alternative but to charge them cleaning fees and/or terminate services.

Funny...after having this talk...he's only vomited twice and that was because he gagged himself with a spoon.

Come to find out they were blending his foods and not allowing him to eat foods in their regular consistency and they were overfeeding him to the point he would throw up!

If this is a re-occuring situation, I would limit the amount of food you are giving the child at each setting. Make sure when she is gettind dropped off that either she has a full belly or an empty tummy so you can determine if and when she will need to eat again.

Provide her with foods that are easily swallowed or very small pieces...raisins, applesauce, mashed potatoes, pudding, etc. Or, if you need to puree her food and see if that helps.
daycare 07:49 AM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
I have a DCB (21 months) that supposedly has gag reflux too. He has vomited several times and each time I call and send him home.

It got to the point that I told DCP's that if the vomiting continued, I would have no alternative but to charge them cleaning fees and/or terminate services.

Funny...after having this talk...he's only vomited twice and that was because he gagged himself with a spoon.

Come to find out they were blending his foods and not allowing him to eat foods in their regular consistency and they were overfeeding him to the point he would throw up!

If this is a re-occuring situation, I would limit the amount of food you are giving the child at each setting. Make sure when she is gettind dropped off that either she has a full belly or an empty tummy so you can determine if and when she will need to eat again.

Provide her with foods that are easily swallowed or very small pieces...raisins, applesauce, mashed potatoes, pudding, etc. Or, if you need to puree her food and see if that helps.
You know whats funny is that here she is not a big eater. SHe hates applesauce, mashed potatoes and anything of that texture.... She takes forever to eat anything. While most of the kids eat snack in about 10-15 min she takes 30-45. I used to cut her off and say ok sorry meal time is over we have to move on, but then she would start to whine that she was hungry.

The parents don't feed her well at all. One time she came to my house and was not even here for 5 min and threw up an entire bag of potatoe chips. She is 3.5 years old and I would say weights about 50 + pounds. So she is getting enough food....

Morgan 24-
Thanks for responding, I was able to find some more information on GR and it did say that GR would happen in the process of eating, however, if s child was to gag on thier own spit, it could cause them to vomit as though they were in the process of eating. But I am with you on the fact that if it happens while eating no big deal, but if its two hours later youre going home.
btw My carpet is ruined, my vacuum smells like vomit every time you turn it on and I have about 4 huge vomit stains in my carpet from her. I think it's time to have the talk with the parents...
Crystal 07:59 AM 09-09-2011
Gag reflux can be horrible, but it can be managed. And he will most likely outgrow it soon.

Try feeding smaller, more frequent meals/snacks. Give him time to digest before feeding more. Give him plenty of time to eat, and encourage him to eat slowly. Limit milk, give more water.

I do not think it is realistic to send a child home every time he vomits. It is unfair to the parent who is paying for child care to have to leave work over him vomiting due to a special need. He's not sick, he's not contagious.

I think it comes down to the provider needing to decide if this is something that can be managed and if not, it is only fair to inform the parent of such and allow them time to find another provider.

I have worked with several children with G.R. and I never sent a child home for vomiting....I didn't like it, but it comes with the job some times.
daycare 08:09 AM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
Gag reflux can be horrible, but it can be managed. And he will most likely outgrow it soon.

Try feeding smaller, more frequent meals/snacks. Give him time to digest before feeding more. Give him plenty of time to eat, and encourage him to eat slowly. Limit milk, give more water.

I do not think it is realistic to send a child home every time he vomits. It is unfair to the parent who is paying for child care to have to leave work over him vomiting due to a special need. He's not sick, he's not contagious.

I think it comes down to the provider needing to decide if this is something that can be managed and if not, it is only fair to inform the parent of such and allow them time to find another provider.

I have worked with several children with G.R. and I never sent a child home for vomiting....I didn't like it, but it comes with the job some times.
I dont send her home each time she vomits, however, if she vomits more than twice she has to go home. HOw can I spend all of my time cleaning vomit with chemicals out ans watch all the other children at the same time. This is not a small amount of vomit we are talking about, we are talking in the amount that could fill a sand bucket to the top.

Yesterday it took me almost 2 hours to clean my carpet. It was like a circus here yesterday trying to watch the kids and trying to clean the mess. I didn't send her home yesterday, but I was asking that when a child throws up 2 hours later, is that gag reflux or is it something else?
bice99 08:53 AM 09-09-2011

Okay Ladies - let's make sure everyone is talking about the same thing. GR is gastric reflux, totally different than a gag reflex. When you google things, be careful. It might help you make a more informed decision.
Crystal 08:53 AM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I dont send her home each time she vomits, however, if she vomits more than twice she has to go home. HOw can I spend all of my time cleaning vomit with chemicals out ans watch all the other children at the same time. This is not a small amount of vomit we are talking about, we are talking in the amount that could fill a sand bucket to the top.

Yesterday it took me almost 2 hours to clean my carpet. It was like a circus here yesterday trying to watch the kids and trying to clean the mess. I didn't send her home yesterday, but I was asking that when a child throws up 2 hours later, is that gag reflux or is it something else?
I wasn't saying YOU send them home after one vomit....other posters have said they do.

BTW, how old is she?
daycare 08:55 AM 09-09-2011
I wasn't saying YOU send them home after one vomit....other posters have said they do.

BTW, how old is she?
she is 3.5

sorry I know that GR is different that gag reflux, I just thought that since I typed it several times that everyone would get the point....lol Im feeling lazy today...

yah its friday!
bice99 08:59 AM 09-09-2011
she is 3.5

sorry I know that GR is different that gag reflux, I just thought that since I typed it several times that everyone would get the point....lol Im feeling lazy today...

yah its friday!
I figured you knew they difference. Wasn't sure about everyone else. Reflex vs reflux as well. Nothing wrong with feeling lazy.
Crystal 09:06 AM 09-09-2011
so, what does the child have then? The title to the thread says REFLUX.
Crystal 09:08 AM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by bice99:
Okay Ladies - let's make sure everyone is talking about the same thing. GR is gastric reflux, totally different than a gag reflex. When you google things, be careful. It might help you make a more informed decision.
Curious as to why you quoted my post and made it sound like I am an idiot or something? I didn't google anything....I based my answer on my personal experiences AND that the OP said the child has REFLUX....not REFLEX. I figured is was the first word that was misstated "gag" intead of "gastric"
daycare 09:12 AM 09-09-2011
lol oh no.....ok it's nothing to do with gastric.
Its gag reflux.............

but then again I don't know a thing about it other than it causes me to clean up a lot of darn puke..
Crystal 09:20 AM 09-09-2011
Considering the timing of the vomit, it's quite possible that it is Gastric Reflux, or Acid Reflux. That would explain her not always gagging on the actual food (which would indicate a "reflex" to the food) and vomiting later, when it has been partially digested and then comes back up. Maybe ask Mom for more clarification from a Doctor?
wdmmom 10:06 AM 09-09-2011
My daughter is almost 7 and weighs 52 lbs!

This child is clearly getting too much to eat.

She's probably on a very high carb/salt/sugar diet. AKA...the nugget diet.

I would ask her if she's hungry and offer her small amounts of food at a time if she is.

If she's not hungry, don't have her eat. It'll just be a mess for you to clean.

If DCG has caused extensive damage/staining to your carpet, I would definitely suggest talking to DCP's about paying for the cost to rent a Rug Doctor or contributing to the expense of hiring a commercial company.

I would also change policy to if she gets sick once, she goes home.

If possible, I would leave a couple small trash cans around so if she's feeling the urge, she can learn to use a bucket.

Anyone that is going to vomit can feel it coming on before it does...she needs to learn where she can and can't get sick.

Further cleaning or cost of a new vacuum should solely be on the parents.

GR is treatable. Is she has a doctors note, ask for the parents to have the doctor provide a care plan as well. (Example: Antacid, medication for acid reflux, etc.)
daycare 10:18 AM 09-09-2011
My daughter is almost 7 and weighs 52 lbs!

This child is clearly getting too much to eat.

She's probably on a very high carb/salt/sugar diet. AKA...the nugget diet.

I would ask her if she's hungry and offer her small amounts of food at a time if she is.

If she's not hungry, don't have her eat. It'll just be a mess for you to clean.

If DCG has caused extensive damage/staining to your carpet, I would definitely suggest talking to DCP's about paying for the cost to rent a Rug Doctor or contributing to the expense of hiring a commercial company.

I would also change policy to if she gets sick once, she goes home.

If possible, I would leave a couple small trash cans around so if she's feeling the urge, she can learn to use a bucket.

Anyone that is going to vomit can feel it coming on before it does...she needs to learn where she can and can't get sick.

Further cleaning or cost of a new vacuum should solely be on the parents.

GR is treatable. Is she has a doctors note, ask for the parents to have the doctor provide a care plan as well. (Example: Antacid, medication for acid reflux, etc.)
I think that you and I are on the same page about the diet. The child wears the pants at home and I hardly ever hear of her eating anything healthy. Like i posted in one of my other post, she came here and threw up an entire bag of chips one time. Gross

As for the carpet cleaning, I did rent a carpet cleaner and celaned it and did not charge the family. However, in the past the mom did offer to pay for some cleaning supplies, but I declined the offer... Little did I know back then that this would he such an ongoing thing.....lol

So gag reflux is treatable??
laundrymom 11:09 AM 09-09-2011
I think this is confusing thread because its gag reflex,.. or gastric reflux,... not gag reflux.

Gastric Reflux is treatable with diet and/or medicine

Gag Reflex is treatable with texture/temperature modification.

My personal advice would be for you to ask mom to clarify "which" the doctor has DX her with. I would also require a food diary to be kept with type, amount, and time each food was given.

You have to learn WHAT sets her body off before you can fix it. Did she do a swallow test at doc? or is doc going off moms word of symptoms for diagnosis?

What does the note say you were given from doc? if it says "gag reflux" I would call to clarify, asking them what that is because you have researched and found gag reflex and gastric reflux. Both similar but not the same.

Its like saying, she has an infection in her ear, and the doc giving antibiotics, and come to find out her earring hole is infected. the same thing but different.

And I dont think anyone said or inferred anyone else was an idiot,... the english language is MADE to screw up and confuse people. I mean,... Knew new to two too, effect affect,.... not to mention some words are just spelled the wrong way. lol... Knee, Phone, pterodactyl, lol. Some words are spelled almost like they are teasing you into messing them up, Actually, Fiery, foreign, license, lol. some things are just ,.. well a pain in the rear. lol...

Keep us updated on this situation ok?

I think that you and I are on the same page about the diet. The child wears the pants at home and I hardly ever hear of her eating anything healthy. Like i posted in one of my other post, she came here and threw up an entire bag of chips one time. Gross

As for the carpet cleaning, I did rent a carpet cleaner and celaned it and did not charge the family. However, in the past the mom did offer to pay for some cleaning supplies, but I declined the offer... Little did I know back then that this would he such an ongoing thing.....lol

So gag reflux is treatable??

daycare 01:06 PM 09-09-2011
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
I think this is confusing thread because its gag reflex,.. or gastric reflux,... not gag reflux.

Gastric Reflux is treatable with diet and/or medicine

Gag Reflex is treatable with texture/temperature modification.

My personal advice would be for you to ask mom to clarify "which" the doctor has DX her with. I would also require a food diary to be kept with type, amount, and time each food was given.

You have to learn WHAT sets her body off before you can fix it. Did she do a swallow test at doc? or is doc going off moms word of symptoms for diagnosis?

What does the note say you were given from doc? if it says "gag reflux" I would call to clarify, asking them what that is because you have researched and found gag reflex and gastric reflux. Both similar but not the same.

Its like saying, she has an infection in her ear, and the doc giving antibiotics, and come to find out her earring hole is infected. the same thing but different.

And I dont think anyone said or inferred anyone else was an idiot,... the english language is MADE to screw up and confuse people. I mean,... Knew new to two too, effect affect,.... not to mention some words are just spelled the wrong way. lol... Knee, Phone, pterodactyl, lol. Some words are spelled almost like they are teasing you into messing them up, Actually, Fiery, foreign, license, lol. some things are just ,.. well a pain in the rear. lol...

Keep us updated on this situation ok?
thanks for clearing this up...lol like I said I don't know anything about it, other than I get to clean up a ton of puke.

I am banking on that mom told the doctor the girl has gag and the doctor agreed based on what mom told him.
I told the mom the only way that DCG could come back is if she had a doc note stating exactly what was wrong, otherwise one vomit and child is going home. I was not willing to take the moms word for it. The mom came back the next day with note in hand..

I have stopped talking with the parents about this situation because it went NO WHERE. Then all of a sudden the episodes stopped for awhile (about a month or so) then they came back full force.

I did keep a log of all of the meals that she ate for almost two weeks and asked the mom to do the same. She took it with her to the doctors, but they could find nothing. Stuff she ate here she vomited on, she also ate at home, but did not.....so confusing
wdmmom 02:05 PM 09-09-2011
I would definitely be asking DCP's to consult DCG's doctor and get a care plan drawn up. The doctor may have just given DCM a note to suffice you. Don't fall for it. You need a diagnosis and a care plan for this child to continue and that is what I'd tell DCP's.

I'd be willing to bet the doctor isn't near as aware of the situation. I'd like to think if my child had a problem like this that her pediatrician would be doing an ultrasound on her throat, allergy tests, providing me with a medicine that might work...something!!!!
daycare 02:11 PM 09-09-2011
I would definitely be asking DCP's to consult DCG's doctor and get a care plan drawn up. The doctor may have just given DCM a note to suffice you. Don't fall for it. You need a diagnosis and a care plan for this child to continue and that is what I'd tell DCP's.

I'd be willing to bet the doctor isn't near as aware of the situation. I'd like to think if my child had a problem like this that her pediatrician would be doing an ultrasound on her throat, allergy tests, providing me with a medicine that might work...something!!!!
These parents are unusual. This I the same girl that had the really bad toe infection that caused her to scream cry. They told her to get over it.
I said you can't bring her back until I know she has been seen by a doctors. The parents were pissed but then when the doc told them the child had an infection and was put on antibiotics they all of a sudden cared.

Trust me if this were my child I would be doing the same as you listed. Ugh stinks when I have no control over helping this get better.
Tags:reflux
Reply Up