Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help With The Rising Cost Of Food...
Soccermom 11:43 AM 03-26-2012
Good Afternoon

I was talking to a friend of mine this morning who also does in home daycare and she suggested an idea that she has started doing to help with the rising cost of food. She didn't want to raise her prices so she starting asking the kids to bring their own snacks with them...however it caused a lot of problems because the kids weren't all eating the same things and the kids were getting upset because they wanted what so and so had and would tantrum because they didn't have a cheesestring or a muffin or whatever....
Anyway she started asking her dcf to bring in snacks for the whole group. She has 5 dcf so she gives each dcf a day where they are in charge of am snack and a different day where they are in charge of pm snack. The snack must be something healthy and can be as creative or simple as they wish. She said the dcf really seem to enjoy the opportunity to choose what the snack for that day is and my friend has the dck who brought the snack help pass it out to everyone. She said the dcks are so proud of what they have brought and it teaches them to be kind and share with others.
She gave me some examples of things she had last week..carrot muffins, a bag of apples, a bag of mini carrots and some dip, a fruit platter, crackers and cheese, a box of nutrigrain bars, a pack of minigos......
It sounds like a neat idea so I thought I would share. I might start the same thing in my daycare too. Any thoughts?
Countrygal 11:46 AM 03-26-2012
It sounds like a great idea!
DCMom 11:53 AM 03-26-2012

I did this the week we were talking about healthy eating. I was pleasantly surprised at how willing everyone was to partcipate and especially how much the kids enjoyed it! The variety of snacks was awesome also.

I never thought about doing it weekly; great idea! Thanks for sharing
renodeb 01:42 PM 03-27-2012
What a great idea, I will have to think about doing that.
Debbie
MissAnn 02:49 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
Good Afternoon

I was talking to a friend of mine this morning who also does in home daycare and she suggested an idea that she has started doing to help with the rising cost of food. She didn't want to raise her prices so she starting asking the kids to bring their own snacks with them...however it caused a lot of problems because the kids weren't all eating the same things and the kids were getting upset because they wanted what so and so had and would tantrum because they didn't have a cheesestring or a muffin or whatever....
Anyway she started asking her dcf to bring in snacks for the whole group. She has 5 dcf so she gives each dcf a day where they are in charge of am snack and a different day where they are in charge of pm snack. The snack must be something healthy and can be as creative or simple as they wish. She said the dcf really seem to enjoy the opportunity to choose what the snack for that day is and my friend has the dck who brought the snack help pass it out to everyone. She said the dcks are so proud of what they have brought and it teaches them to be kind and share with others.
She gave me some examples of things she had last week..carrot muffins, a bag of apples, a bag of mini carrots and some dip, a fruit platter, crackers and cheese, a box of nutrigrain bars, a pack of minigos......
It sounds like a neat idea so I thought I would share. I might start the same thing in my daycare too. Any thoughts?
Why not get on the food program?
daycare 02:53 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
Why not get on the food program?
I was thinking the same thing... What will you do if a family falls through and does not bring their snack? Sorry not trying to be a debbie downer.... Just asking
Soccermom 04:58 PM 03-27-2012
We don't have the food program where we are. I've never even heard of that to be honest....
She said she always has back-up snacks on hand just in case someone forgets but she sends the dck home with a little card stating they are the Snack Star the next day and she said she hasn't had anyone forget yet.
sharlan 05:01 PM 03-27-2012
I did that 28 years ago when I first started.
Soccermom 05:09 PM 03-27-2012
Originally Posted by sharlan:
I did that 28 years ago when I first started.
I think I am going to give it a whirl too. I wish I would have started it last year when I started up my daycare again because sometimes I find it hard to make changes once things are already established but I am going to mention it to the dcp and see what kind of reactions I get
Crazy8 07:45 PM 03-27-2012
one of my kids preschools used to do this and yes, they love being the one who brought in snack.

I think I'm one of the only providers on this board who does not do the food program and kids pack their own meals. When I started up 11 years ago even my licensor said no one around here does the food program so I never even looked at it. I have never had an issue - just like at school, everyone has their lunches brought from home.
MissAnn 03:50 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by Crazy8:
one of my kids preschools used to do this and yes, they love being the one who brought in snack.

I think I'm one of the only providers on this board who does not do the food program and kids pack their own meals. When I started up 11 years ago even my licensor said no one around here does the food program so I never even looked at it. I have never had an issue - just like at school, everyone has their lunches brought from home.
I would really take a look at the food program. It's not hard and it pays for over 1/2 of my food .....and I cook very good meals.
Meeko 07:59 AM 03-28-2012
The food program works for me. I average around $1000 a month from them. Sometimes a little less, sometimes a bit more, depending on whether the schoolies are all in attendance. We are tier 1 due to our school district which helps. But I would do it at tier 2. Anything helps!
Crazy8 09:28 AM 03-28-2012
Originally Posted by MissAnn:
I would really take a look at the food program. It's not hard and it pays for over 1/2 of my food .....and I cook very good meals.
theres the answer right there... right now my cost for meals is ZERO and the time it takes me is about 5-10 min. to prepare the lunches they bring. Go on the food program and I am paying for that other 1/2 of the food myself AND I'm cooking on my time, and doing food program paperwork, meal planning, etc. on my time. No thank you. My rates are competitive, maybe on the higher side, couldn't get away with raising them even if I added meals, and I don't know of a single daycare near me who does provide meals so its not like its something people are really looking for.

Like I said, 11 years and its worked just fine - not fixing what ain't broken.
littlemissmuffet 09:44 AM 03-28-2012
Everyone recommending the food program... this isn't an option available to Canadian providers. We do get to write-off food costs (generally 30-50%) at tax time.

I like the OP's suggestion! However, I would be concerned about days where a parent forgets.... "forgetting" seems to be a common thing with most parents these days.
countrymom 09:47 AM 03-28-2012
first off, THERE IS NO FOOD PROGRAM HERE IN CANADA. Sorry for the caps but it seems that people don't understand no matter how many times its mentioned.
Now, seriously, are you saying that snacks are costing you so much money that you can't afford it. What are you serving the children. A bag of of carrots cost about a dollar, add sum ranch dressing and you can easily feed children for less than 25 cents a snack. I would like to also know then, "what are the parents pay for" when they have to supply food. Sorry, but I find it odd that feeding children is costing people so much money. If its costing you so much, then you need to look at what you buy and where you shop.
Soccermom 08:46 AM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by countrymom:
first off, THERE IS NO FOOD PROGRAM HERE IN CANADA. Sorry for the caps but it seems that people don't understand no matter how many times its mentioned.
Now, seriously, are you saying that snacks are costing you so much money that you can't afford it. What are you serving the children. A bag of of carrots cost about a dollar, add sum ranch dressing and you can easily feed children for less than 25 cents a snack. I would like to also know then, "what are the parents pay for" when they have to supply food. Sorry, but I find it odd that feeding children is costing people so much money. If its costing you so much, then you need to look at what you buy and where you shop.
A bag of carrots here costs about 2.50$ and a bottle of ranch dressing about
3$. Plus the juice to go with it. Another 2$. That is 7.50$ for one snack. Not to mention lunch and morning snack. You asked if the parents aren't paying for food then what are they paying for well I believe that even if the parents are supplying the food, they are still paying for me to care for their child for 10 hours a day. Not to mention the cost to run the daycare, replacing toys, cleaning supplies, craft supplies, soap, toilet paper.....It is expensive to care for children in your home and it is hard work. I like to know that at the end of the day that I made a reasonable profit. As much as I love the kids I don't want to care for them for free.
countrymom 11:19 AM 03-29-2012
I think you need to shop somewhere else. Because you can get bags of carrots cheap, and ranch dressing is under 2 dollars (buy no name or on sale) and there is no way children would go thru a whole bottle, 1 tblsp. per child is plenty for dipping and you I would give them water for snack. A bottle of juice should easily last you 2 days, unless you are letting them drink to their hearts content and filling their cups all the way to the top. Yesterday I fed 5 kids and for snack they had veggie crackers and waters (they are on a veggie craker kick lately and all they want to do is eat those crackers) 1 box cost me 1.49 from walmart, that was for snack in the morning and at night, and I had school ager come later and even he had enough for after none snack.
Soccermom 05:20 PM 03-29-2012
I think you need to shop somewhere else. Because you can get bags of carrots cheap, and ranch dressing is under 2 dollars (buy no name or on sale) and there is no way children would go thru a whole bottle, 1 tblsp. per child is plenty for dipping and you I would give them water for snack. A bottle of juice should easily last you 2 days, unless you are letting them drink to their hearts content and filling their cups all the way to the top. Yesterday I fed 5 kids and for snack they had veggie crackers and waters (they are on a veggie craker kick lately and all they want to do is eat those crackers) 1 box cost me 1.49 from walmart, that was for snack in the morning and at night, and I had school ager come later and even he had enough for after none snack.
I probably feed them too much. I try to get in a couple of food groups per snack. I guess I do it more for my own kids and then I have to give everyone the same. I will do crackers but I will give them cheese too and some apple juice. I will do apples but add PB for dipping and milk to drink. If there isn't one already we should start a cheap and healthy snack idea thread
countrymom 06:08 PM 03-29-2012
the way I make my own kids eat is that they have to go to their rooms and eat it. this is where I bend the rules, its not fair that my kids don't get to eat what they want when the dck's are here, so if they want something they have to eat it in their rooms. Or I run into where I don't have enough for all the kids, so my kids then go upstairs and eat. Since they have to share everything, I let them eat what they want.
jojosmommy 06:30 PM 03-29-2012
Originally Posted by Soccermom:
A bag of carrots here costs about 2.50$ and a bottle of ranch dressing about
3$. Plus the juice to go with it. Another 2$. That is 7.50$ for one snack. Not to mention lunch and morning snack. You asked if the parents aren't paying for food then what are they paying for well I believe that even if the parents are supplying the food, they are still paying for me to care for their child for 10 hours a day. Not to mention the cost to run the daycare, replacing toys, cleaning supplies, craft supplies, soap, toilet paper.....It is expensive to care for children in your home and it is hard work. I like to know that at the end of the day that I made a reasonable profit. As much as I love the kids I don't want to care for them for free.
Carrots at my store are .99 and no way would my 7 dck eat a whole bag , even if it was their "last meal". Buy ranch powder and mix as you use it otherwise the liquid kind is also .99 at my store and the kids hardly use any. Juice? too expensive- don't buy it. I NEVER serve juice here. Most kids are supposed to only get 4-6 oz a day anyway and I would bet my paycheck they get more than that at home daily. Just because they would eat it doesn't mean they need to eat that much.

I would hate it if my dcm asked me to bring snacks. I would never ask my parents to do that. I have food worked into my budget, just raised rates $10 per week to cover rising costs of food, paper supplies, basic cost of living raise.
littlemissmuffet 06:46 PM 03-29-2012
I coupon, buy almost everything on sale and will shop at 10 diffrent stores to get the best deal - and it's still very expensive feeding my kids healhty and nutritious meals... but then again, I knew coming into this business that food would be the bulk of my costs.

I would, however, like to tell you that I think your "what are the parents paying for?" comment was pretty annoying. My parents pay for my TIME... which by the way, ends up only being a few bucks an hour - not nearly enough, but it is what it is. LOL, food is just a bonus for them, not to mention all the extras I pay for out of my own pocket.
Tags:economy, food costs
Reply Up