Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>How Much Do You Tell About Behavior
abigailrw5 06:54 PM 09-05-2013
I just read the thread "do you sugar coat?" I have a similar question. I had to terminate this kid not just because of his behavior (schedule not working out ect.) I have told the parents he does things to get put in timeouts for the past 3-4 months. The parents alternate picking up every other week. They like to ask how was his day? I didn't tell them every time he didn't listen and get put into timeouts. I put that his behavior (timeouts) was taking time away from other kids in the termination letter. She says she wishes she knew more about his behavior. Alot of his behavior is doing something right after I tell him not to. It got really bad. He never did anything huge like hurt someone though. Sorry so long...
abigailrw5 06:56 PM 09-05-2013
I meant to ask do you tell them when their behavior is getting to be too much? too many timeouts?
butterfly 07:00 PM 09-05-2013
If I were to the point of terming, I'd make sure I was sharing as much as possible. I wouldn't want it to come across as a shock when I termed over it, if I wasn't fully communicating.

I'd do my best to try to find a resolution with the parents and if things weren't working, I'd tell them we'll try this X more days and if things don't improve, I'll have to end my services.

Familycare71 07:00 PM 09-05-2013
I have in my policies any time I feel a behavior is becoming an "issue", repetitive or is not age appropriate I will share- other wise I am not going to report every time I have to correct a child.
So if it was happening enough for it to be included in a reason to term - yes- they would have known about it prior.
cheerfuldom 07:43 PM 09-05-2013
So the term is already complete but the parent would like details? I would share but I wouldnt blame this all on the kid. It could be a matter of your approach just not really getting thru to him. We cant reach every kid out there. I would tell mom that Junior has a difficult time following instructions and further, would specifically break the rule after it had just been discussed. Timeouts were not effective (otherwise they would have worked already) and that it is best for this reason and the other reasons mentioned, that they find a caregiver that was a better fit for their son's needs.
abigailrw5 08:05 PM 09-05-2013
Thanks everyone! I do believe my communication and approach with him could have been better. I will definately learn from this experience. I felt the parents and I were on the same page with how we were disciplining with what they shared with me. I just think they were shocked that it was such a problem for me. Each parent has him for 2 weeks out of the month. I spend more time with him then they do...
Play Care 02:30 AM 09-06-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
I have in my policies any time I feel a behavior is becoming an "issue", repetitive or is not age appropriate I will share- other wise I am not going to report every time I have to correct a child.
So if it was happening enough for it to be included in a reason to term - yes- they would have known about it prior.
This. I've heard of so many times where the provider doesn't say anything about a behavior or really speak firmly to the parent about just how bad it is, leaving the parent shocked when they get termed. I am one who doesn't believe in mentioning every little thing, but the last time I had to term (three siblings who cried all day) you can bet their parents were aware of how bad it was and how it was affecting everyone else.
Reply Up