Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>questions about getting ready for openning
284878 10:01 AM 02-21-2014
1. In the rules it reads that outdoors daily. Here we have tons of snow, and even on warmer days there is just to much snow, (personal I feel unsafe and no where to play) What are the requirements about going out? Does this apply to all ages?

2. the rules read non absorbent changing table. I got a wooden changing table and pad. How can I make the pad non absorbent but still cover it?

3. no portable heater. In our basement we use a eden pure heater to take the chill out of the air. Is this considered a portable heater?

4. first aid. Currently our 1st aid is in our bathroom drawer. Do I need to make that more mobile? Does it have to be out in the open?

5. blood pathogen. I read that CPR and first aid need re-certificated after x many years. do you have re-cert blood pathogen, I did not find this in the rules?

I am based in MI, if that makes a difference.
daycarediva 10:10 AM 02-21-2014
I'm not in Michigan, so I can't say for sure what your regs are.

We are in NY and outside daily unless there is a wind chill advisory or a heat warning. TRUST ME, those kids need fresh air.

I use disposable pads for my changing table (they just mean no cloth, as long as it's the plastic style, you should be good to go.)

I have sooo any first aid kits. One in my first floor bath, one in my outside shed, one in my travel bag and a mini one in the playroom.
melilley 10:10 AM 02-21-2014
1. In the rules it reads that outdoors daily. Here we have tons of snow, and even on warmer days there is just to much snow, (personal I feel unsafe and no where to play) What are the requirements about going out? Does this apply to all ages? You are supposed to go out unless there is inclement weather, but licensing doesn't define what is too hot or cold. You are supposed to take all children, even infants out. I honestly use my best judgment. We went out yesterday and the kids did fine in the deep snow and had lots of fun. Mine are 2.5 and under. But when it's too cold, I don't take them out.

2. the rules read non absorbent changing table. I got a wooden changing table and pad. How can I make the pad non absorbent but still cover it?You can use wax paper or that dr. paper. I only have the changing pad and that was fine with licensing. As long as it's washable ( I use the 3 step method) w/o any rips, it's fine

3. no portable heater. In our basement we use a eden pure heater to take the chill out of the air. Is this considered a portable heater?
They would probably consider this a portable heater, but I would just ask when you go to orientation.
4. first aid. Currently our 1st aid is in our bathroom drawer. Do I need to make that more mobile? Does it have to be out in the open?I think the first aid supply requirement is if you go on field trips. You have to have a first aid kit with you. I don't have a kit in my home and my licensor didn't ask to see one, so I'm pretty sure it's just for your vehicle/fieldtrips

CraftyMom 10:27 AM 02-21-2014
We get lots of snow as well. I shovel out (or snow blow) a large area for the kids to walk around and play with some toys without falling. I also shovel paths in the snow for the kids to run down they love it!
284878 10:42 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by melilley:
1. In the rules it reads that outdoors daily. Here we have tons of snow, and even on warmer days there is just to much snow, (personal I feel unsafe and no where to play) What are the requirements about going out? Does this apply to all ages? You are supposed to go out unless there is inclement weather, but licensing doesn't define what is too hot or cold. You are supposed to take all children, even infants out. I honestly use my best judgment. We went out yesterday and the kids did fine in the deep snow and had lots of fun. Mine are 2.5 and under. But when it's too cold, I don't take them out.

2. the rules read non absorbent changing table. I got a wooden changing table and pad. How can I make the pad non absorbent but still cover it?You can use wax paper or that dr. paper. I only have the changing pad and that was fine with licensing. As long as it's washable ( I use the 3 step method) w/o any rips, it's fine

They would probably consider this a portable heater, but I would just ask when you go to orientation.
4. first aid. Currently our 1st aid is in our bathroom drawer. Do I need to make that more mobile? Does it have to be out in the open?I think the first aid supply requirement is if you go on field trips. You have to have a first aid kit with you. I don't have a kit in my home and my licensor didn't ask to see one, so I'm pretty sure it's just for your vehicle/fieldtrips

when my daughter was an infant, her doctor wanted her on vitamin D drops and I refused. I told her that I would just take her outside. She told me NO! not radiation. Anyways, my thing is what is an infant going to do outside?

Could I cover the pad with a cover, then a plastic pillow case cover, if it fits? (the pad is just ugly)
What is the I use the 3 step method?
284878 10:44 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by CraftyMom:
We get lots of snow as well. I shovel out (or snow blow) a large area for the kids to walk around and play with some toys without falling. I also shovel paths in the snow for the kids to run down they love it!
My father use to do this and my nephew would call them snow walks.
melilley 10:55 AM 02-21-2014
Originally Posted by 284878:
when my daughter was an infant, her doctor wanted her on vitamin D drops and I refused. I told her that I would just take her outside. She told me NO! not radiation. Anyways, my thing is what is an infant going to do outside?

Could I cover the pad with a cover, then a plastic pillow case cover, if it fits? (the pad is just ugly)
What is the I use the 3 step method?
For infants, they can get fresh air by sitting in a stroller, being carried around, it's harder to do in the winter and I really don't like to take them out in the winter-to me it's too cold. I have a teeny tiny baby who I haven't taken out yet (she just started). In the warmer months, I have a big gymnastic mat and let them play on there or carry them or stroller rides etc...

The 3 step method is a sanitizing routine. It's soap water, rinse water, and bleach water. I have 3 separate squirt bottles for each. First you spray with soap water and wipe, then rinse water and wipe, then bleach water and leave on for 2 min at minimum then wipe or air dry. I know there are other sanitizing solutions out there, but I use this. I use it for everything including lunch table, changing table, toys, etc... and it's cheap.

I don't know if you could do the plastic pillow case thing. I don't see why not as long as it can be sanitized.
Reply Up