Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Interview Vent - Help
284878 08:34 AM 03-19-2015
I have been interviewing to fill openings in my daycare. I have had about 2 a week for the past month. But not getting much when it comes to sign ups.
I had one mom sign but cancel before they started. The rest say they will let me know and I never hear back from them. I have done a couple of follow up messages with the ones I really wanted to hear back from.

This last family I interviewed with has got me questioning somethings. When they emailed to begin with they wanted rates, they said they needed care 4 days a week. I gave them my rate for a full week, their responds was that I was higher than what they are paying. I set my rate at the average for the area. I am not the highest by far.
When they came for the interview, they changed the number of days they needed care, from 4 a week to 3 one week and 1 the next week. They mention that Gma takes the kids one day a week and dad has a day off. (UMMM what happen to the other 2 days?) I am not sure what to say about this, did they forget that they told me a different schedule?

I realize that they are trying to save money, maintain a home and lake home can be costly.

I need some help with interviews, I think that I over talk out of nervousness. I try to get them to sit down, but they are not always willing. Sometimes, They act as if they are the only ones with questions. I always give them a quick tour then try to talk with them. Letting the kids play while we talk.

How do you set up for interviews?
spinnymarie 08:48 AM 03-19-2015
That's hard.
Our set-up for interviewing:
1. Potential clients contact us, usually via email.
2. We ask the basic questions: how old, what schedule, and send them to our website that has rates and other info, if they didn't contact us through the website already.
3. If they reply, we send a list of 'getting to know you' questions. -Jobs, things they are looking for, allergies/medical needs, current schedule, current daycare situation, etc.
4. If they reply again, and we think we can work together, we set up an interview and send them the policies handbook.
5. By the time they come to interview we've weeded out the flakes, the people who "can't" afford me, and anyone I don't think will work well here. At the interview we do a quick tour, although it's all one room, and then go through their questions and any unanswered questions we had.
Honestly, I'm not a fan of interviewing - I'd rather get most of it done ahead of time so we don't all waste time meeting. We waste the time while emailing instead
daycare 08:49 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by 284878:
I have been interviewing to fill openings in my daycare. I have had about 2 a week for the past month. But not getting much when it comes to sign ups.
I had one mom sign but cancel before they started. The rest say they will let me know and I never hear back from them. I have done a couple of follow up messages with the ones I really wanted to hear back from.

This last family I interviewed with has got me questioning somethings. When they emailed to begin with they wanted rates, they said they needed care 4 days a week. I gave them my rate for a full week, their responds was that I was higher than what they are paying. I set my rate at the average for the area. I am not the highest by far.
When they came for the interview, they changed the number of days they needed care, from 4 a week to 3 one week and 1 the next week. They mention that Gma takes the kids one day a week and dad has a day off. (UMMM what happen to the other 2 days?) I am not sure what to say about this, did they forget that they told me a different schedule?

I realize that they are trying to save money, maintain a home and lake home can be costly.

I need some help with interviews, I think that I over talk out of nervousness. I try to get them to sit down, but they are not always willing. Sometimes, They act as if they are the only ones with questions. I always give them a quick tour then try to talk with them. Letting the kids play while we talk.

How do you set up for interviews?
Take charge, sell yourself and your program.

Ask yourself why do people want to come to my program.... Focus on this. Let say your answer is that you do a preschool program every day, then run with that and that becomes your selling point.

I hate interviews, I can go over a year without doing one and then BAM I have to do them for over a month.

The one thing that you have to realize too is that not every family is going to be a fit for your program, try your best not to take it personal.

I sell myself, my program, why I am unique and what they can expect from my program. In the end I give them my website and online passcodes to read our parent handbook. I tell them that they need to be sure they are comfortable with the services I provide and that they work for their family, if not, I understand that I am not a fit for everyone.

If someone asks for special, i will respond with, well that is not a normal service we provide, but I can look into for you. Just keep in mind that any additional services will more than likely come with a fee.

I always always follow up via email or phone call. Years ago I used to get their home address and follow up with a small book addressed to the child, along with letter to the parents.

See if you can do some mock interviews with friends or family. I drink calming tea before and breath lavender to help calm me. I am hyper...lol
Shell 10:17 AM 03-19-2015
Good advice above.

I give a tour and then have the parents sit at the table and go over phb and policies. I offer a drink, and have some water myself because it helps to take a sip when I get nervous.

I agree, sell your program. Do you have pictures of activities or a Facebook page- show them all you do!

I think lots of folks are trying to save money by having family watch as much as possible.

I just had a fantastic tour, parents signed on the next day...and then backed out, at least temporarily. They are having family watch the baby for a while.

I told them no problem- contact me if anything changes.

Some parents are just looking for cheap- you don't want those type of clients anyway!
284878 10:46 AM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Shell:
Good advice above.

I give a tour and then have the parents sit at the table and go over phb and policies. I offer a drink, and have some water myself because it helps to take a sip when I get nervous.

I agree, sell your program. Do you have pictures of activities or a Facebook page- show them all you do!

I think lots of folks are trying to save money by having family watch as much as possible.

I just had a fantastic tour, parents signed on the next day...and then backed out, at least temporarily. They are having family watch the baby for a while.

I told them no problem- contact me if anything changes.

Some parents are just looking for cheap- you don't want those type of clients anyway!
I only open in September and had one family. They were babies and just ate, pooped and slept all day. So no photos to show.

My DH was side talking around lowering prices to accommodate the families, my sisters hinted the same thing. My one sister knew one of the families and indicated that I should do what I could to get them.
Unregistered 02:32 PM 03-19-2015
See, I DON'T try to sell myself! I repeatedly remind myself that I offer quality care, I have a thoughtful set-up, and am ready with answers to any questions. But I am who I am and I offer what I offer and if the parents don't jive, they don't jive. It's way better to know that up front! Definitely have a time limit that you mention in your email. (I say 30 minutes) Say, "First I'll show you around and then we can sit down and go over the handbook I emailed you" I briefly touch on FAQ's (what our day typically looks like) I let them know they should think it over and contact me the next day. Then I stop talking. If they have questions, great, if they don't, I stand up, shake hands firmly and smile them to the door. Self confidence and a warm presence go farther than a sales pitch.
Thriftylady 03:12 PM 03-19-2015
I have an interview tomorrow that got set up today! I used the idea from here asked mom for her email addy and emailed the handbook. I am hoping that will make me less nervous because I won't feel like we have to rush through it all at the interview! And if she doesn't like what is in my handbook, she can cancel. That may week out some issues for me, thanks for whoever posted that idea. I hate interviews.
LysesKids 03:34 PM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
I have an interview tomorrow that got set up today! I used the idea from here asked mom for her email addy and emailed the handbook. I am hoping that will make me less nervous because I won't feel like we have to rush through it all at the interview! And if she doesn't like what is in my handbook, she can cancel. That may week out some issues for me, thanks for whoever posted that idea. I hate interviews.
I have my handbook on my website along with all other info... I figure if they get thru that & still send email from the contact page, I'm good lol. I don't post my phone # either, I wait until I get an email with theirs and then call them at my convenience (with 24 hrs). I also explain on my FAQ's page that I don't do last minute or weekend interviews, so it weeds out those that send info on Friday or Saturday expecting care by Monday
daycare 03:44 PM 03-19-2015
I do a phone interview first and at that time tell them to take a look at my website, view our PHB, get a good idea of how we run our program and the services we provide.

I then tell them that we suggest they prepare a list of questions or concerns and we will address them at the tour when we meet.
Thriftylady 03:45 PM 03-19-2015
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I have my handbook on my website along with all other info... I figure if they get thru that & still send email from the contact page, I'm good lol. I don't post my phone # either, I wait until I get an email with theirs and then call them at my convenience (with 24 hrs). I also explain on my FAQ's page that I don't do last minute or weekend interviews, so it weeds out those that send info on Friday or Saturday expecting care by Monday
Yeah my web page isn't exactly a page yet lol. Planning on getting DD to help me finish it but she has been so darn busy with testing at school, testing for college placement (can't believe she is starting college as a Junior in HS) and now she is starting a new job Tuesday. I feel bad about asking for her help. I just feel so overwhelmed by the website thing. Today's interview was from facebook though.
Ariana 04:02 PM 03-19-2015
I always email my contract as it weeds out the unfavourables! I have a website with my prices, availability and philosophy. I also let them do most of the talking during the actual face to face because I can gather a lot about them from things they say or ask. I ask a few questions but I usually reserve my questions for a follow up email interview when they tell me they are interested. I don't like wasting time getting to know them or their kid until they show interest I guess.

I get a LOT of people asking me if I could lower my rates but I know that those people end up disrespecting you in the end. My price is firm. I also have a way of doing things and I feel confident in my skills so I don't take it personally if we don't mesh. I am having a hard time finding "normal" kids and I don't even think I can handle home daycare anymore!
Tags:interview - multiple, interviews
Reply Up