Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Website/Blog You've Created for Your Child Care Business
jenh171 09:39 PM 06-26-2010
I'd be really interested in seeing the blogs/websites that other people on this forum have created for their home child care businesses. If it's possible, could we share links to them here? I wasn't sure if everyone would be comfortable with it, since they may contain personal info. What do you think? Also, do you think your website/blog generates any business? I created a blog and I'm happy with how it came out, but I didn't have much interest from the parents...only one of the five follows it! I think it's good to be able to link people to it when they inquire about my child care because it gives them an idea of what their day is like here. I was thinking of adding a guestbook so that maybe potential clients would sign it if they had any questions. I'm also sort of hoping that the parents I work for now would jot down a testimonial on there...I think that would be really great for business!
Michael 12:46 AM 06-27-2010
Try some of these: https://www.daycare.com/forum/tags.php?tag=website
Greenshadow 06:01 AM 06-27-2010
I made a website for my business on Weebly.com. I just link it when I advertise. It has a guestbook. I use Facebook for my parents. I generated a website on FB and have my parents sign up to "LIKE" it and then I can post info and add pics to it. I tag the pics to them and that way they have them. The like that and all my parents are my "Friends" of FB.
jenh171 06:10 AM 06-27-2010
I made both an fb page and a blog for my child care, but I'm wondering if it might be better advertising to have a website. I guess a website would come up in search results if someone were looking for home child care. I tried googling home child care and the name of my town and my fb page came up, but then again, not everyone is on fb. So I guess I'm trying to decide if I should create a website or just stick with my fb page & blog. I am thinking that generally a site is better for advertising and an fb page & blog are better for keeping the parents informed.

Does anyone feel that their websites have actually generated business for them, or is it more just the convenience of conveying info. and keeping things running more smoothly? I'm just trying to think of other ways I can get more exposure...I have 2 empty spots to fill!

Thank you!
Greenshadow 06:18 AM 06-27-2010
I dont think the websites have brought me any business. I think its good for information before someone decides to call you for an interview. But otherwise I dont think its helpful for getting work. I think most parents hear about finding daycares on certain sites like Care.Com and Craigslist and go that route.
melskids 06:46 AM 06-27-2010
i have a website, but i havent gotten any children from it. i use it more for a parent who is interviewing me already to check out more info. i also use FB for families, but only 2 follow it, so its been a waste of time, IMO. for me, good old fashion word of mouth has worked better for getting new clients, and as far as keeping current clients up do date, i do weekly newsletters, which unfortunately, tend to end up in the bottom of their cubbies. any info i need to make sure they know, i just keep repeating myself over and over directly to them. (such as making sure they know my days off). i could post it in 100 different places, and someone will still say they didnt know
Lilbutterflie 11:49 AM 06-27-2010
I have my own shutterfly website, but not for use as a way to get business; more of a nice perk for the parents. I post pictures weekly or bimonthly, I have a blog about what each week was like, my food menu, calendar, etc...
SunflowerMama 12:26 PM 06-27-2010
This is my website and blog. I have received a few calls from potential families that saw my website on the DFPS website and the rest mostly come from craiglist or word of mouth. All my parents say they love the blog (even though it says I only have one follower).

www.littleacornchildcare.net
www.littleacornchildcare.blogspot.com
DBug 12:26 PM 06-27-2010
I have a website (www.doodlebugs.tk) that has generated the majority of my business. I would probably not be in business it I didn't have it! It's just a free site, but parents love it. They come to the initial interview already knowing all of my policies, hours, schedule, etc. There are no surprises for them, and I think they appreciate that. The people on my waiting list will check back to the site regularly to check for openings (I email them every time a new spot opens, but some of them are a little eager ).

It is definitely worth the time and effort put into it, and I would recommend a website to any provider. Word of mouth remains the best advertising, but for parents moving into a new town (which happens constantly in our military town), word of mouth isn't really an option. The go-to option is the internet (even before the phone book!).
jenh171 12:50 PM 06-27-2010
thank you so much for that info. how do you think people found your website? just through googling? or do you have business cards out with the web address on it. i really like the idea of people knowing all the policies beforehand...that way there are no surprises, and also you don't waste your time interviewing if there is a policy that won't accomodate a parent's needs.
Michael 12:50 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:
I have a website (www.doodlebugs.tk) that has generated the majority of my business. I would probably not be in business it I didn't have it! It's just a free site, but parents love it. They come to the initial interview already knowing all of my policies, hours, schedule, etc. There are no surprises for them, and I think they appreciate that. The people on my waiting list will check back to the site regularly to check for openings (I email them every time a new spot opens, but some of them are a little eager ).

It is definitely worth the time and effort put into it, and I would recommend a website to any provider. Word of mouth remains the best advertising, but for parents moving into a new town (which happens constantly in our military town), word of mouth isn't really an option. The go-to option is the internet (even before the phone book!).
Well done. Simple, colorful and easy to use.
jenh171 12:52 PM 06-27-2010
twin mama...i only have 5 followers on my blog and 2 are my daughters and one is my boyfriend, so don't feel bad!
SunflowerMama 12:53 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by DBug:

Such a cute website!! Great job!
Michael 12:54 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by twinmama:
This is my website and blog. I have received a few calls from potential families that saw my website on the DFPS website and the rest mostly come from craiglist or word of mouth. All my parents say they love the blog (even though it says I only have one follower).

www.littleacornchildcare.net
www.littleacornchildcare.blogspot.com
Nicely done. Is this your maze?

jenh171 12:57 PM 06-27-2010
yes doodlebugs...great job. it's very user friendly. i love the way you post which days you have available. what a great way to draw people in. what site did you use to create it? was it free?
jenh171 12:58 PM 06-27-2010
here's my blog, twin mama...i'll follow yours if you follow mine...lol!
www.mshuntershomechildcare.blogspot.com
SunflowerMama 01:03 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by michael:
Nicely done. Is this your maze?

I wish! My numbers are lower in the summer (we are short 3 teachers' children) so we have a field trip or 2 planned each week until late August. That is a local play area with mini houses and a big maze of the state of Texas.
SunflowerMama 01:09 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by jenh171:
here's my blog, twin mama...i'll follow yours if you follow mine...lol!
www.mshuntershomechildcare.blogspot.com
I'm a follower now! You do such cute crafts with the kiddos!! I love craft time!!
QualiTcare 01:10 PM 06-27-2010
twinmama......that's a nice setup you have. i love the carwash and the yoga...sooo funny.
originalkat 01:19 PM 06-27-2010
My website is www.greengatepreschool.webs.com
My blog is www.greengatepreschool.blogspot.com

I have not gotten new clients directly from finding my website...but I have sealed the deal before they even came to an interview because they liked what they saw on my website. I think it is well worth the time it takes to put one together. My blog is mainly for the parents to see what we have been learning. They love it!
DBug 02:20 PM 06-27-2010
Originally Posted by jenh171:
thank you so much for that info. how do you think people found your website? just through googling? or do you have business cards out with the web address on it. i really like the idea of people knowing all the policies beforehand...that way there are no surprises, and also you don't waste your time interviewing if there is a policy that won't accomodate a parent's needs.
I have my website listed in every ad I put online and in print (b.cards, flyers, the banner in my yard, etc.), but yes, some have found it simply by googling for daycare in our town. Apparently I'm the only one that comes up! I turn away at least 2 families per week, and I've given out other local providers names and numbers on many, many occasions (with their permission, of course).

Honestly, it's been indispensable for me. I uses wix.com, and have made a few other websites though wix as well. But webs.com works quite well too, and is a tad more user-friendly than wix.
Childminder 08:07 AM 06-28-2010
Everyone's websites are unique and as individual as each and everyone is. I just created my website last week and by the looks of things I've had four visits. Whoopee! Whatever. www.childminderfamily.com
Veggie Mom 07:09 AM 06-29-2010
I love the websites, thanks for posting these. Lots of great ideas
Lucy 08:44 AM 06-29-2010
I have a blog on blogspot, but it is set to private. Only parents of the children I currently watch can view it with their password. When then leave my daycare, I disallow them from the site. I post pictures of activities we've done and write up a little paragraph about it. They LOVE it. And blogspot makes it sooooo easy.
QualiTcare 07:13 PM 10-23-2010
just bringing up an old thread......
SilverSabre25 07:42 PM 10-23-2010
Here's mine:

DeRan Family Child Care

I really like using Weebly because of the features they have both on the free version and the pro version. In a few months I'll subscribe to the pro version and set up a password protected blog for my parents.
Michael 10:28 PM 10-23-2010
Originally Posted by SilverSabre25:
Here's mine:

DeRan Family Child Care

I really like using Weebly because of the features they have both on the free version and the pro version. In a few months I'll subscribe to the pro version and set up a password protected blog for my parents.
Nicely done.
MarinaVanessa 11:58 AM 10-24-2010
I have a website on webs.com. It's free and I got a client by linking the site to a cragslist ad. I also placed my daycare on google maps which creates traffic from people trying to find daycares in my area and that has a link to my website also. I get about 2 calls a week mostly for infants which I don't have room for right now but these calls all say they've been on my website.
Sprouts 11:16 AM 02-08-2011
Hi! I was wondering how to get my website on google through a search?/ Do you pay extra for google places?? What do you use?
dEHmom 11:39 AM 02-08-2011
OK I just edited out my website and I'm going to try figure out a way that I can share that with anyone who wants to see it. I honestly am more excited about you guys seeing my website than anyone else! But I just googled my web address (which some people are so dumb they can't figure out the address bar and google it instead, which brings up my posts on here. So I'm deleting it for now.

It's funny because this morning I was considering starting a thread where everyone posts their websites. Instead of having to search around for them in different threads.

I have it listed on my advertisement. I'm not sure that it is generating any more responses then the ad would or not. Because they have to go to the ad to see the website link. Not much action on the ads right now. But the 2 people I had see the ads, went to website, came for interviews and wanted to enroll.
Tags:website
Reply Up