Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Pacifier Issues
lovemykidstoo 05:50 PM 02-11-2013
One of my dcb's will be 2 in May. He has an attachment to pacifiers. He normally comes with 1 in his mouth a 2 in his hand. I promptly have him put them in his bag and at naptime I let him have 1. At home he has them all all the time. As soon as mom comes to pick up he drags everything out of his bag and looks for them. Today dad brought him and told me that he's down to 1 and that is the only one they have now because he's bitiing the end of the pacifier off. I told mom today that he's done with it here because I will not take the chance that he's going to bite the end and choke on it. She said that she's going to limit it at home from now on to only naptime to try and get him to go without it. I think she's nuts. What if he bites it at naptime and chokes on it and she thinks he's just sleeping? has anyone had this issue?
Willow 05:59 PM 02-11-2013
My son had his way past two lol, and it was never a problem. I wouldn't worry about choking as long as there are no visible breaks in the plug and he isn't sitting there like, gnawing away on it.

I don't pull any sort of attachment item until it's been done by the parents at home first, preferably over a weekend so the kiddo has a bit of time to adjust to the loss, but that's just my personal preference.
lovemykidstoo 06:07 PM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
My son had his way past two lol, and it was never a problem. I wouldn't worry about choking as long as there are no visible breaks in the plug and he isn't sitting there like, gnawing away on it.

I don't pull any sort of attachment item until it's been done by the parents at home first, preferably over a weekend so the kiddo has a bit of time to adjust to the loss, but that's just my personal preference.
That's the thing, he IS biting the tip right off of it. So at home, he has bitten and spit out the tip of the binky.
Willow 06:17 PM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
That's the thing, he IS biting the tip right off of it. So at home, he has bitten and spit out the tip of the binky.
Yeah, nope.

Then I'd be putting the kabosh to him having them there for sure.
lovemykidstoo 06:21 PM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by Willow:
Yeah, nope.

Then I'd be putting the kabosh to him having them there for sure.
That's my thinking. I was surprised that the mom was still going to let him have it. My thinking is, if he is okay to have it only at naptime here then he will give it up for good pretty easily. He has bitten the tips off about 5 or 6 of them so far. I'm just not willing to set him up for disaster here. It's the same as giving him a small lego to go to bed with really if he's biting the tips off. A choking hazard is a choking hazard. Man, how hard and long does he have to be chewing on that thing to bite it off. Man!
Live and Learn 06:30 PM 02-11-2013
That is a safety hazard. NO MORE PACIFIERS!
Willow 06:30 PM 02-11-2013
Originally Posted by lovemykidstoo:
That's my thinking. I was surprised that the mom was still going to let him have it. My thinking is, if he is okay to have it only at naptime here then he will give it up for good pretty easily. He has bitten the tips off about 5 or 6 of them so far. I'm just not willing to set him up for disaster here. It's the same as giving him a small lego to go to bed with really if he's biting the tips off. A choking hazard is a choking hazard. Man, how hard and long does he have to be chewing on that thing to bite it off. Man!
Maybe he's teething?

My sons used to get cracked after they got old enough, just like bottle nipples can do so I had to keep an eye on them.

He never chewed on them though! That's just nuts. I'd give mom the bits and say no more, not only is it a choking hazard for him but what if he bites off an end and spits it out on the floor for another peanut to choke on!
Tags:pacifier issues
Reply Up