Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tricky Question
MunchkinWrangler 11:13 AM 01-04-2016
Hello, I'm in MN and I know I should ask my licensor but do any of you allow parents who are in the medical field sign vaccine forms and other stuff for their own child. I'm almost positive that this mother doesn't have her own child as a patient as she is just a physicians assistant and still in school. I'm actually angry that her signature is on the immunization form because I specifically said that the child's doctor must sign off on it and gives records for the schedule. This is a requirement for children under 15 months as most of the infant vaccine schedule is required at the normal intervals unless there is a medical reason. I don't want a debate on vaxxing because I simply don't allow unvaccinated children in my daycare unless there is a medical reason or allergy, therefore herd immunity should help with that situation. I have myself and my own children to protect so that is non-negotiable to me.

So what do you think or is there for sure a definite rule it can't be family? Can I require a non family member, I feel like I should. It's also a new family, and I don't want to lose their business but I don't want a discussion. I just don't have a good gut feeling about it.
Blackcat31 11:33 AM 01-04-2016
Originally Posted by MunchkinWrangler:
Hello, I'm in MN and I know I should ask my licensor but do any of you allow parents who are in the medical field sign vaccine forms and other stuff for their own child. I'm almost positive that this mother doesn't have her own child as a patient as she is just a physicians assistant and still in school. I'm actually angry that her signature is on the immunization form because I specifically said that the child's doctor must sign off on it and gives records for the schedule. This is a requirement for children under 15 months as most of the infant vaccine schedule is required at the normal intervals unless there is a medical reason. I don't want a debate on vaxxing because I simply don't allow unvaccinated children in my daycare unless there is a medical reason or allergy, therefore herd immunity should help with that situation. I have myself and my own children to protect so that is non-negotiable to me.

So what do you think or is there for sure a definite rule it can't be family? Can I require a non family member, I feel like I should. It's also a new family, and I don't want to lose their business but I don't want a discussion. I just don't have a good gut feeling about it.
I am in MN.

I asked my DCM (she's a family physician) and she said it is illegal for her (DCM) to sign off on anything for her own children.

I also asked my licensor and she said your DCM can NOT sign off on her own child's imm form as the standing medical professional.

I have parents sign my form but then I also include the print out FROM the clinic/hospital of the imms given.

You need to have mom accompany the imm form WITH the clinic print out OR you need to have DCM have the child's doctor sign the form.

She is the parent NOT the health care provider for her child.
Blackcat31 11:34 AM 01-04-2016
It's also a new family, and I don't want to lose their business but I don't want a discussion. I just don't have a good gut feeling about it.
Just tell her licensing does not allow for parents to sign as the child's health care provider and that she needs to provide the required, state approved forms WITH the correct signatures.
MunchkinWrangler 11:51 AM 01-04-2016
Thank you for the quick response!!! I was almost positive that was the rule. And I would think it's not ethical medically. I will just lay it out for her and require that it be done or I can't enroll. I would lose income but I am a rule follower and I don't want to take chances with licensing. Wish me luck! I'm nervous to already have to enforce something that I would think in her profession she should already know.
LysesKids 12:24 PM 01-04-2016
Thank you for the quick response!!! I was almost positive that was the rule. And I would think it's not ethical medically. I will just lay it out for her and require that it be done or I can't enroll. I would lose income but I am a rule follower and I don't want to take chances with licensing. Wish me luck! I'm nervous to already have to enforce something that I would think in her profession she should already know.
It's the same principle that won't allow me to notarize any paperwork for family or anything I am a party too... I can legally notarize stuff, but not for anybody related
Reply Up